User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/22/2005 7:52:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats good they didnt charge an arm and a leg to replace...

Does anyone still do cast recievers anymore?  I dont know how they can be affordable to produce if they break so damn easy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Thats good they didnt charge an arm and a leg to replace...

Does anyone still do cast recievers anymore?  

I don't think so.

Interesting story, and thankyou for showing the pictures!
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn....I didn't think anybody made cast receivers anymore.

There so many top notch forged ones and cheap.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow!  I bet he sure had a sick feeling in his stomach when it happened.  Glad to hear there are people like you and DPMS that are willing to help someone out.

Is the finish really as rough as it looks in the pictures?

Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]

$5 background check

You charge 5.00 for a NICS check?

Or do you have something additional on your State level you are talking about?
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

$5 background check

You charge 5.00 for a NICS check?

Or do you have something additional on your State level you are talking about?

it's done by the FDLE (Florida Dept of Law Enforcement).
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
$5 is what the Florida Dept of Law Enforcement charges our shop to do the check.

Link Posted: 6/22/2005 10:14:55 PM EDT
[#12]
YIKES!

I thought oly still made cast but who knows
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 10:57:56 PM EDT
[#14]
One of the malfunction clearing drills I was taught in a carbine class involves smacking the buttstock hard against the ground. If this cast receiver cracked merely from a two foot drop to the floor imagine what would happen if someone intentionally smacked the buttstock against concrete

For your customer's sake I'm awfully glad DPMS is standing behind their lower. That being said it scares the hell out of me that a manufacturing process so inherently fragile was ever allowed into production
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 2:49:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I remember back in the day, when i unfortunately knew nothing about this site, i though cast was better than forged all because some guy had told me so.  He obviously never visited this site either.

Luckily, noone i knew would sell cast receivers or rifles.  I just couldn't take that one in a 1000 chance of something like that happening to my babies.  I'm so glad i found this site to show other people the way...
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 2:57:28 AM EDT
[#17]
I think I need to retire the cast Dalphon POS receiver I have and substitute my spare mega in it's place.   I truly will be SOL if my Dalphon cracks like that.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 3:22:56 AM EDT
[#18]
that has got to suck!

glad to here it turned out good though.

you know i have noticed im always looking through threads  you start arguy, hoping to see some shots of the shop.

still cant get over how well stocked yall are with cool stuff.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 3:27:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Forged >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cast

Always remember that:
Whether its engine parts or gun parts, forged will always be stronger than cast assuming the material is of good quality.

An easy way to determine whether or not a metal piece is forged is by gently whacking it with a hard object. Usually a forged piece like a forged crankshaft will PING and resonate (pingggggggggggggggggg) whereas a cast piece will go "thud".

Ever drop a forged Craftsman socket or wrench next to your ear in a garage? OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 3:32:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thanks for posting this, Neil.  Hopefully some of the "I've never heard of a cast lower breaking" folks will get to read this.

+1 - I have saved the pictures and story for the next time someone says that cast lowers never break. I honestly can't figure out why people buy cast lowers to save what? $20-$30?
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 5:09:01 AM EDT
[#21]
I got a really nice forged receiver a couple of weeks ago for $75. I never could understand why anyone would buy a cast one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 5:12:15 AM EDT
[#22]
For those that have to ask, that's why you don't want cast receivers.

Good job, NAG, for hooking the guy up.

Link Posted: 6/23/2005 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#23]

There was something in there about they knew their responsibility to the customer etc, etc, but I was nervous for the guy. We called DPMS and told them what happend. Guy we spoke to (cant remember his name) was very accomidating. He basically asked me to return the broken receiver and send them a copy of our FFL. They are replacing the cracked cast receiver with a new forged one. He said they discontinued their cast revceivers all together and only do forged now. Thats good news. So, all this guy has to do is pay us to ship it back to DPMS (had he bought it from our shop, we would have paid shipping under our warantee), and the $5 background check when the new one comes in. He'll have to wait about 2 weeks for them to turn it around, but all in all, I thought that was very good of DPMS

That speaks volumes about your shop and DPMS's customer service.  You both understand the need to take care of the customer.

Kudos to both you and DPMS on a fine job.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 6:13:18 AM EDT
[#24]
tag for later viewing
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Just FYI -

Almost all high production Forgings start out as Castings.  the only exception are certain alloys that do not lend themselves to the casting process and are machined from raw bar stock and then forged.  But these are low volume and very expensive.

The raw cast part has the flash and vents trimmed and then is taken to a Forging Press where the metal in inserted into a die that compresses the molucular structure into a denser material.  If done correctly, this process should remove 90 percent plus of the micro voids in the material.

Basic strength increase is in flexural modulus, or how much it takes to bend the part.  Small increase in tensile or how much it takes to pull the part in two pieces.  The break in the photo has both flex and tensile going on with what appears to be more of a tensile force applied.  So, for the case of this break, a cast part probably would react the same as a forged part.

Oddly, castings like to break at sharp corners.  I am wondering if this part can be broken from overtightening the buffer tube?  I have not had this part of my gun disassembled so not sure if this even a load bearing surface for the buffer.

Not sure anyone cares about this meaningless details....
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Just FYI -

Almost all high production Forgings start out as Castings.  the only exception are certain alloys that do not lend themselves to the casting process and are machined from raw bar stock and then forged.  But these are low volume and very expensive.

The raw cast part has the flash and vents trimmed and then is taken to a Forging Press where the metal in inserted into a die that compresses the molucular structure into a denser material.  If done correctly, this process should remove 90 percent plus of the micro voids in the material.

Basic strength increase is in flexural modulus, or how much it takes to bend the part.  Small increase in tensile or how much it takes to pull the part in two pieces.  The break in the photo has both flex and tensile going on with what appears to be more of a tensile force applied.  So, for the case of this break, a cast part probably would react the same as a forged part.

Oddly, castings like to break at sharp corners.  I am wondering if this part can be broken from overtightening the buffer tube?  I have not had this part of my gun disassembled so not sure if this even a load bearing surface for the buffer.

Not sure anyone cares about this meaningless details....

So uh... what do you do for a living?  
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Simple answer:  I make things...

More complex response, we make parts for:
car amps
home stereo
pro audio products
video games
computer sheetmetal
computer and telecom heatsinks and heatpipes
computer keyboards
bicycle hubs and cranks
various parts for cars/trucks
office furniture parts

Castings/extrusions/sheetmetal stamping, fine blanking and deep draw/injection molding and CNC machining.  Along with all the requisite secondary operations for finish and decoration.

I was a tool/die moldmaker when I was young.  Fell in with a bad crowd in the video game industry and they forced me to become addicted to money.  Still trying to wean myself off the green.

I am now president of a small company that "makes things".

Link Posted: 6/23/2005 7:36:34 AM EDT
[#28]
 In an odd sense this was a good thing to have happen to your customer.

A: He'll be VERY likely to business with YOU in the future and also reccommend you to others.  Good job. You are DEFINITELY stand UP...this can be quite the rarity in the gunsales biz!!!!!  Good show!

B: He ( the customer )has learned an EXCELLENT lesson.  Castings may do....but they'll never compare to a forging.....EVER....yes, they're cheaper and they can even be prettier but they are NEVER tougher.  This is a lesson he probably will never forget.
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 6:13:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I thought I read somewhere that DPMS emerged from the ashes of Essential arms?

? ? ? ?
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#30]
CattleDog, thanks for the detailed explanation.  I knew that forging arranged the crystaline structure of the metal being forged, making it stronger, but I didn't know what measure of strength was most affected.  By "stiffening" the part, forging makes it less prone to ANY kind of flexion, which means it retains its designed/manufactured dimensions AND the relationship of each point to all the others much better.  It stays as built in more situations and under more, stronger stresses than a cast part.

And if it's forged, it had BETTER ring!  If a forged part doesn't ring, it's going to go back to the casting process as raw material to melt down for a new casting-one without all the voids!
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 8:45:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Oly was making a "Plinker" that had a cast reciever, don't know if they still do.
Essential Arms is out of Louisiana, I don't think they have connection with DPMS.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:00:00 AM EDT
[#32]
My Olympic Arms lower receiver recently cracked while shooting it. It cracked above the rear take-down pin. I sent it back to the manufactuer after getting an authorization number, they were very helpful so far. I won't know anything for another week on whether they will replace it. I was told on the phone they would upgrade the receiver to a forged one, I thought the receiver was forged.
Has anyone else had this happen?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#33]
CattleDog, while all forgings do essentially begin as cast ingots, you and I know there is a huge difference between a simple sand cast pour (which is what that DPMS lower appears to be) and a hot or colled rolled billet blank that is then heated and forged to shape (how any decent AR receiver should be made).

I would guess that the failure mode of the receiver was more of a flexural one based on how I see an AR falling butt first on the ground.  But that's just a SWAG on my part.

As an aside, not all cast receivers are crap.  Ruger bolt action receivers are designed to be cast, which means they are thicker in many places compared to those forged from a billet (Winchester) or hogged out of rolled bar stock (Remington), they are cast using more sophisticated processes (investment cast), are well controlled during the cooling cycle (to prevent inclusions), are made with alloys chosen for suitability for casting (I don't think Ruger will let anyone know what their alloy is), and are probably X rayed to inspect for voids, inclusions, or porosities.  What you end up with are cast receivers that can stand to the pounding of cartridges like the 416 Rigby.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Wouldn't  a proper heat treat be more important than wether it is cast or forged?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Anyway to tell if it is cast or forged?
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Dude,

All of the major brand name guns use high preasue die cast aluminum upper and lowers.  Some, but not all go through a forging process in which the cast part is spanked multiple times in a progressive forge die that shapes and work hardens some key areas.  Then the part goes to secondary operations like drilling, tapping, reaming etc to clean up the tight tolerance dimensions.

I have never seen a gravity sand cast upper or lower and if someone was silly enough to try it, I think they would be very prone to breaking.  Probaly just from assembly.

The AR15/M16 aluminum parts do not lend themselves to being shaped from billet.  Hot and Cold Rolled are terms that are used with steel production, not aluminum.  There is no way anyone is trying to forge billet into a lower.  The buffer tube feature would break off every time and the draw required to make the opening for the mag would also be a major issue in the tooling.  Besides, there is no purpose in trying it.  Die Cast to near net shape and forge to final.

But who cares, his is broken and sometime castings/forging break due to impurities and inclusions.  If you really want to be sure of the part, it needs to go through NDT to ensure component integrity.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#38]
CattleDog,

You need to visit http://forum.saiga-12.com/ and tool up to make some Saiga12 and Saiga 20 shotgun mags.  You could make a fortune...MadDog(76)
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Maddog,

I have thought about making mags.  But cannot get any estimates on potential unit volumes.

Plus, I don't understand the sales channel well enough.  If I could find a partner to cover sales/marketing I would seriously consider it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Did anyone ever make any cast M16 receivers? If so, that would be a big ouch to anyone that bought a transfered.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Basic answer for a basic question:

What is casting v forging?

Using a preformed cast into which is poured steel = casting?

Molding and manipulating moltened/soft steel = forging?

TIA

docgary
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Great to hear that there are folks and companies around that still understand what good customer service means.  Hopefully he studies the DPMS catalog (be sure he gets one) and succombs to that evil Black Rifle Fever!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#44]
taggage
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#46]
And then people wonder why someone wants a Colt.

Yeah, there are lots of great brands out there but dropping a rifle from 2 feet and ending up with a cracked lower is just stupid.  I've used a 3lb sledge on my rig twice and it has never failed a single time.  

Well, I guess all is well that ends well.  I didn't read the rest of the thread I just read the initial.  Hopefully he got his lower and it was of good quality.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
And then people wonder why someone wants a Colt.

What does Colt have to do with anything?  What is their warranty?  
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't be so hasty to blame the casting as being the reason for this kind of failure.  It can happen to any receiver, cast or forged, if:

1.  A carbine buffer is used in a full length rifle / full length tube.
2.  The urethane bumper on the end of the buffer is missing
3.  The urethane bumper is too short

Any of these conditions can allow the carrier to over-travel during recoil allowing the back of the gas key to slam into the top of the lower receiver buffer tube ring.  Eventually, it will fracture the lower just like what you see in the pics.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I just bought a AP4 from DPMS an there is a warranty card which states that they do not offer an "express warranty" but that they recognize theit responsibility towards a "implied warranty" in which they will service the rifle for a period of three years after purchase. It states "The warranty applies toward defects in material or workmanship of the rifle. DPMS will pay for all warranty repairs, at no charge to the customer"

Anyone know what the difference between an express warranty and implied warranty is?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top