Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2005 1:35:58 PM EDT
Just now starting to hear about the wylde chamber. I understand is a cross between the .223 and 5.56. Is there any dis/advantage to it? Whats the point of it?
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm no expert, but this is what I know:
Advantage
-You can shoot cheap .223 ammo  through it (wolf, ect.)
-you can shoot hotter 5.56 ammo through it  (m193, m855, ect.)
-good for people who want to shoot match ammo and plinking ammo through the same barrel.
disadvantage
-don't know of any

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 2:52:00 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a way to take more money from you.

You can already shoot 5.56 and .223 both in your 5.56 chamber with exceptional accuracy
from both.

You tighten up the 5.56 chamber and you raise the pressures with hot 5.56 ammo,
for no reason.

Unless you're building some super match grade rifle you should not be interested.

And, even if you are building some super match grade rifle you would want .223
because of the known quantity it is and the available ammo with known performance.

Wylde is a compromise, and you don't want to compromise in either your self defense
rifle, or a match grade rifle, so it serves no purpose other than to take your money.

If you happen to want to shoot 80 grain match ammo it might be good because the throat
is shorter than 5.56 NATO, or more accurately the lands "angle" is shallower making
a gentler transition to the lands. This is called leade (not lead) minimizing the "bullet jump"
before it touches the lands. That's really it's "sweet spot"

ETA:  That being said, I would not be surprised to see manufacturers offer more and more
barrels in Wylde. It does have a following for people that want to shoot match ammo
and military style ammo in the same barrel, though for the life of me I can't imagine
why anyone would want to do that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Advantage
-good for people who want to shoot match ammo and plinking ammo through the same barrel.
disadvantage
-don't know of any

Read the post after yours.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Advantage
disadvantage
-don't know of any

Yep. I did.  Your point?
I stated what I knew or have heard.  Didnt say it was fact.
later
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Advantage
disadvantage
-don't know of any

Yep. I did.  Your point?
later

Yeah, you weren't wrong on anything really, but it just seems like a goofy idea to me.
I don't think he was beating on you, just offering you more info.

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Advantage
disadvantage
-don't know of any

Yep. I did.  Your point?
later

Yeah, you weren't wrong on anything really, but it just seems like a goofy idea to me.
I don't think he was beating on you, just offering you more info.

Exactly. He said he didn't know of any disadvantages. You pointed the disadvantages out in detail, and did a damn good job in the process.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:31:41 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You can already shoot 5.56 and .223 both in your 5.56 chamber with exceptional accuracy
from both.

for no reason.

Unless you're building some super match grade rifle you should not be interested.

because of the known quantity it is and the available ammo with known performance.

Wylde is a compromise, and you don't want to compromise in either your self defense
rifle, or a match grade rifle, so it serves no purpose other than to take your money.

If you happen to want to shoot 80 grain match ammo it might be good because the throat
is shorter than 5.56 NATO, or more accurately the lands "angle" is shallower making
a gentler transition to the lands. This is called leade (not lead) minimizing the "bullet jump"

ETA:  That being said, I would not be surprised to see manufacturers offer more and more
barrels in Wylde. It does have a following for people that want to shoot match ammo
and military style ammo in the same barrel, though for the life of me I can't imagine

If your analysis were correct, most Highpower shooters, who demand exceptional accuracy AND flawless reliability with loads that are often as hot asn mil-spec ammo and sometimes more would be using 5.56 NATO chambers.  But we don't.  The Wylde chamber dominates in highpower, and NATO and tight 223 match chambers are nowhere to be seen.

Bill Wylde has forgotten more about ARs that you and I together know.  I think I'll take his judgement, and that of a lot of kick-ass highpower shooters like John Sylvester and John Holliger, before yours on the merits of the Wylde chamber design.

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

from both.

for no reason.

If your analysis were correct, most Highpower shooters, who demand exceptional accuracy AND flawless reliability with loads that are often as hot asn mil-spec ammo and sometimes more would be using 5.56 NATO chambers.  But we don't.  The Wylde chamber dominates in highpower, and NATO and tight 223 match chambers are nowhere to be seen.

Bill Wylde has forgotten more about ARs that you and I together know.  I think I'll take his judgement, and that of a lot of kick-ass highpower shooters like John Sylvester and John Holliger, before yours on the merits of the Wylde chamber design.

I know you highpower people don't believe this, but the AR was designed to be a battle rifle.
I know it's stressful for you, so take a moment to catch your breath.

I'm pretty sure I said if you want a match only rifle that it had merit.  There are damn few shooters on
this forum that need that kind of thing.  So, go soak in your afterglow of masturbating to Bill Wyldes photos, but 99% of the shooters on here and in the real world have no use for a Wylde chambering.

When they start putting Wylde chamberings in the M4 let me know. I think I'll take the
word of any Lance Corporal in Falluhjah before Wyldes....

If this posting had been in the competitive shooting forum I would not have answered, but it was asked
in the general AR forum. I don't expect many folks posting in here care what the highpower shooter is using.

I carry a 1911, but I really don't care at all what Rob Leatham is using this year.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#10]
How are wylde chambers indicated on the lower?

.223/5.56

???
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:33:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

.223/5.56

???

The only way I have ever seen it is ".223 Wylde" but, I don't and won't own one so dunno for sure.
It's on the barrel by the way.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

.223/5.56

???

5.56 on mine...
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.223/5.56

???

5.56 on mine...
www.fotothing.com/photos/43e/43ec4329c750a48f8c5d1dc89383d0b8.jpg

Hah hah. I think he meant barrel.  The lower might say all kinds of things.

The barrel is what matters  That's funny......
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

from both.

Wylde will be more accurate.  Not sure how much more, that's a function of your barrel as well -- consistent diameter, polish, twist, etc.  But given equal barrels, it will be more accurate.  If there weren't an advantage, you'd never have seen match shooters migrate toward it.

for no reason.

Nothing is tighter, that is a fallacy.  Body is the same as 5.56 or maybe even a bit looser.  The change is in the leade and throat -- nothing that affects functioning or reliability.

It's a compromise between a short throat, steep leade .223 chamber and a long throat 5.56 chamber.  It's all about achieving accuracy with longer loaded rounds using high BC bullets.  Again, it makes no compomises WRT functioning/reliability.

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:41:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It's a compromise between a short throat, steep leade .223 chamber and a long throat 5.56 chamber.  It's all about accuracy.  Again, it makes no compomises WRT functioning/reliability.

I'm sorry,but if this was the case every M4 would come with this chambering.  The Wylde chamber
is a match/target rifle specialty for now. If it is proven to be as reliable and rock solid as the standard
5.56 then you'll see a move that way, and it very well may be so, but you can't make that statement
based on what is known today.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Might not be a bad choice for a squad SPR. But I wouldn't choose it for the M4s and A4s.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:49:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a compromise between a short throat, steep leade .223 chamber and a long throat 5.56 chamber.  It's all about accuracy.  Again, it makes no compomises WRT functioning/reliability.

I'm sorry,but if this was the case every M4 would come with this chambering.  The Wylde chamber
is a match/target rifle specialty for now. If it is proven to be as reliable and rock solid as the standard
5.56 then you'll see a move that way, and it very well may be so, but you can't make that statement
based on what is known today.

John Holliger Comments -- Reloading Stuph Link
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Interesting post...considering I have a new WOA barrel with the Wylde chamber....

jmart...great link...thanks for that...
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Jesus H. Christ, someone show TexasSIG a chamber print of a Wylde reamer.  If he's smart enough to read it he may learn something.  I've never heard so much bullshit in my life!

Phil
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:15:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Jesus H. Christ, someone show TexasSIG a chamber print of a Wylde reamer.  If he's smart enough to read it he may learn something.  I've never heard so much bullshit in my life!

Phil

There is none blinder than he who refuses to see.  Fuck it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

from both.

for no reason.

I know you highpower people don't believe this, but the AR was designed to be a battle rifle.

I'm pretty sure I said if you want a match only rifle that it had merit.  There are damn few shooters on
this forum that need that kind of thing.  So, go soak in your afterglow of masturbating to Bill Wyldes photos, but 99% of the shooters on here and in the real world have no use for a Wylde chambering.

When they start putting Wylde chamberings in the M4 let me know. I think I'll take the

If this posting had been in the competitive shooting forum I would not have answered, but it was asked
in the general AR forum. I don't expect many folks posting in here care what the highpower shooter is using.

I carry a 1911, but I really don't care at all what Rob Leatham is using this year.

It all went right over your head while you were busy choking on the milspec/tactical kool aid.  have some more.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Designed by Bill Wylde. Shoots everything good, and has slightly generous body dimensions for reliability. Eats anything you put in it.

From yet another guy (John Holliger) who has forgotten more about building ARs than TexasSIG ever learned.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.223/5.56

???

5.56 on mine...
www.fotothing.com/photos/43e/43ec4329c750a48f8c5d1dc89383d0b8.jpg

Hah hah. I think he meant barrel.  The lower might say all kinds of things.

The barrel is what matters  That's funny......

I know, lol...but he asked what the lower said...and thats what he got.

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:34:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

.223/5.56

???

WTF do the markings on the lower have to do with the upper and the chambering??  
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

from both.

for no reason.

It all went right over your head while you were busy choking on the milspec/tactical kool aid.  have some more.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Man, tell me who has been drinking the KoolAid....

As we all know, the working AR's are all using the Wylde Chambers and
custom loaded ammo   And all the guys in the sandbox
are wearing shooting coats........... because Highpower is really the
only use for an AR

All the local departments are ordering fluted barrels, Wylde chamberings
and shooting coats for their working teams.

You guys are too funny.

Oh by the way, the Garand was once used in a war too.  I know, amazing......

Link Posted: 7/23/2005 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#27]
<TexasSig>"They are not near Baghdad. Don't believe them....  They said they entered with...  tanks in the middle of the capital.  They claim that they - I tell you, I... that this speech is too far from the reality. It is a part of this sickness of their plan. There is no an... - no any existence to the American troops or for the troops in Baghdad at all."<TexasSig>

Link Posted: 7/24/2005 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know if this is relavent to this discussion or not, but I have had some problems with wolf in my RRA with a wilde chamber.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=240187

It does not seem possible to me for the differences in lengths between 5.56 and even .223 to lead to the lands engaging the bullet enough to grip it so you can't easily remove it, so I am at a loss to explain this.  The only possibilities I can think of are either the bullet moving forward under recoil, or the chamber being improperly reamed.

Has anyone else had problems with wolf in a wylde chamber?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 2:53:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Strange.   The "stuck case" sounds like the usual complaints about Wolf from the laquer, but you said it was the new polymer.  I wouldn't think a bullet touching the lands would stick it that tight.

BTW, when I asked RRA before buying my SS 1/8 midlength they told me all 16" barrels had 5.56 NATO chambers, even the SS ones.  Only the 20" have Wylde.  So unless they've changed that since I asked (about 2 years ago I think) then your chamber may not even be a .223 Wylde.

I've shot a little Wolf through mine, but not a lot.  No problems with it, even the old green kind.  (Well, except for the piss-poor accuracy; but it ran fine.)
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:44:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Denny just built an upper for a guy in the sand box with a wylde chamber...
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:52:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I don't know if this is relavent to this discussion or not, but I have had some problems with wolf in my RRA with a wilde chamber.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=240187

It does not seem possible to me for the differences in lengths between 5.56 and even .223 to lead to the lands engaging the bullet enough to grip it so you can't easily remove it, so I am at a loss to explain this.  The only possibilities I can think of are either the bullet moving forward under recoil, or the chamber being improperly reamed.

Has anyone else had problems with wolf in a wylde chamber?

It is physically impossible for ANY 223 bullet loaded to magazine length to come even remotely close to the lands in a Wylde chambered rifle.  I can say this in 100% confidence of being right since I have the tools to measure that distance (as any reloader should, anyway).
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 4:07:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
There's more than one upper in the sandbox right now with a Wylde chamber.  

I suppose if Uncle doesn't have it issued on or in an M4 it ain't worth having.

Now you know that it ain't worth shit if it don't have the stamp of approval from Uncle Sam...

The more I read about the Wylde chamber that I have on my WOA SPR barrel, the more I'm glad I'm got one to try...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top