Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2005 9:36:53 PM EDT
ok i live in MD and when i trun 18 in may i will be purchasing a ar-15 after i shot my friends. i see guns that say ban free but they have a adjustable buttstock and a birdcage flash surpressor. is this legal for a regular joe that doesn;t have any license except one to own the gun. here is one that i saw gun 1
gun 2
i have searched but its hard atleast its hard to me to really find out whats legal and whats not.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Repost your question to ask if anyone knows whether you have an assault weapon ban in your state. If you do not then you can buy any "no ban" AR. I am not familiar with MDs laws.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#2]
ok after searching i  went the nra site (who better than them to know) and i found a line i really don't understand. it says that a 20 rd mag is the limit but i also words it like you can have a greater round mag if you don't buy or sell it in md.

here is the line

After June 1, 1994, it is unlawful to sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer any detachable firearm magazine (except a tube magazine for a .22) that will hold more than 20 rounds. Possession is not prohibited.

and here is the site i got it from www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=MD
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:11:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I think Maryland mirrored the old federal law after it expired, which would mean post ban config only. But I am not positive on that either, would have to check and make sure.

Post ban meaning, no flash suppressor, fixed stock, no bayonet lug, and so on.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Gotta love MD, I lived there for 18 years and since I've been working for Uncle Sam, I'm never going back.  It's eventually going to become the next NY or CA as far as gun control and taxes are concerned.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Jman, no current ban on assault rifles in MD (yes on assault pistols) but they are classified as regulated firearms, same as handguns. All sales must be approved and recorded by State Police, no more than one purchase every 30 days and no sales to anyone under 21.

I belive you are correct in your understanding of the magazine restricition. Possession is not illegal, just the buying and selling of them within the state.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#6]
ok cool, thanks for the replies. i don't really care if md has alot of laws just as long as i can take my gun to my local 100yd range and shoot. also would buying a beta c-mag off the internet count as buying it in  md if the store is in another state. and why is md becoming the next ny ans ca in gun laws. is it because of the proximity of wash dc.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]
im sorry, i don't know what that stands for
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]
That's the Maryland Home Town Forum link.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:21:51 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
also would buying a beta c-mag off the internet count as buying it in  md if the store is in another state.

After June 1, 1994, it is unlawful to sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer any detachable firearm magazine (except a tube magazine for a .22) that will hold more than 20 rounds. Possession is not prohibited.

I believe the common method around this is to have it shipped to a non-MD address (ie. grandma's house in PA) and then go there to pick it up and return with it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:25:21 PM EDT
[#11]
yeah, pa is right above me so if worst comes to worst i could drive there
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Then the next challenge to overcome is this one:

Maryland does regulate the sale, transfer, rent and possession of regulated firearms, which consist of handguns and assault weapons.

It is unlawful for any person to sell or transfer a regulated firearm to a person whom he knows or has reasonable cause to believe:

Is under 21;

If you've got your thinking cap on you may already have figured it out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#13]
ok i have called a bunch of ar-15 guns stores here in MD. they sai that you have to be 21 to get a regulated firearm (handgun, assualt rifle), but a assualt rifle with a HBAR barrel is not considered a regulated firearm and the buyer doesn't need to wait, pay a fee, or limit the quantity bought within a month. now the only problem is that since only a couple rifles have the HBAR (the one i was going to get was a bushmaster satinless steel rifle with a HBAR) that most places will not sell them to people inder the age of 21 even thought by law its legal too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#14]
There are HBAR versions of the AR15 from just about every manufacturer. As mentioned above, they are marked HBAR in different spots on the rifle itself. A few manufacturers don't even mark the HBAR nomenclature anywhere (i.e. RRA), but they are still heavy barreled rifles. Remember, Heavy BARrel means a heavy profile under the handguards, from there forward it can have an M4 (i.e. RRA or Colt 6920HB) or straight profile. There are a couple shops that I know of who know the law well enough to abide it (sale of "non-regulated" HBAR's to 18 year olds etc.), but I'm not here to name drop. If you fail to find a shop on your own, IM me for contact info and I'll help you as best I can.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top