Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 5:55:25 PM EDT
DId colt ever produce a flat top upper reciever with no forge marking on the side
(i.e AF, keyhole)

i picked up a new complete barreled upper a few days ago
upper from a model R0901 (m16a4 upper)

it came with all the right markings
barrel marked properly (i think it may be a few years old as the barrel is not datestamped as the newer ones are.
bolt carrier and bolt marked correctly
EXCEPT  the upper receiver itself had no forge mark and no white T-markings

maybe more info is needed? anybody have any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:10:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Rather then saying that the markings on the barrel are "right" or "correct" you need to be more specific before I can be of much help.  That being said, Colt's has put out millions of rifles with no forge codes.  For example, early 90's flat tops typically lack forge codes and some had MMA forge codes on the carry handles, etc, etc.......
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:26:45 AM EDT
[#2]
ok

barrel reads C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7
the FSB right side reads D RI 8  the "RI" is inside a circle.  the other side of the FSB is unmarked
the number "29" is stamped just to the rear of the FSB, right wear the light profile goes to heavy profile.
just forward of the delta ring is a 0 and a downward pointing triangle at the 12 0'clock position
bolt carrier is "C" stamped
bolt is "MPC" marked
carry handle is "MMA"

the 20" barrel is light under handguards and heavy out front
fsb has lug
a2 flash hider
flat top as said before

thanks for the help
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ok

barrel reads C MP 5.56 NATO 1/7
the FSB right side reads D RI 8  the "RI" is inside a circle.  the other side of the FSB is unmarked
the number "29" is stamped just to the rear of the FSB, right wear the light profile goes to heavy profile.
just forward of the delta ring is a 0 and a downward pointing triangle at the 12 0'clock position
bolt carrier is "C" stamped
bolt is "MPC" marked
carry handle is "MMA"

the 20" barrel is light under handguards and heavy out front
fsb has lug
a2 flash hider
flat top as said before

thanks for the help

Could well be a factory assembled upper.  Barrel dates from 94-95.  Do not think the "F" stamping on flat top FSB's date back that far, and sounds like yours lacks one.  Upper receiver and carry handle from the same time frame, or earlier.  The MP on the bolt should have a space between the M and the P.  Is the C is below the MP?  Extractor buffer should be blue.

BTW; in 1995 a complete rifle in such a configuration would be a M16A2E4 in military jargon.  The M16A4 did not go into mass production until 1998 or so.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#4]
i have new production colt flattops in the store i work at
and they have M4 over the gas tube port but no forge markings
i called colt to make sure they were colt and they told me
the only marking they require are the M4 stamp
bill
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Could well be a factory assembled upper.  Barrel dates from 94-95.  Do not think the "F" stamping on flat top FSB's date back that far, and sounds like yours lacks one.  Upper receiver and carry handle from the same time frame, or earlier.  The MP on the bolt should have a space between the M and the P.  Is the C is below the MP?  Extractor buffer should be blue.

BTW; in 1995 a complete rifle in such a configuration would be a M16A2E4 in military jargon.  The M16A4 did not go into mass production until 1998 or so.

there is No "F" on the FSB.  The MPC is three letter right in a row . the letters had a yellow color to them and were not the dot matrix stamp like the ones on my 6920.  the extractor buffer is blue.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:07:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't think you have anything to worry about.  I have three Colt flattop uppers that have no forge marks whatsoever.  Two were removed from early-production NIB 6700s and are large pivot pin receivers.  The third is a later small pin upper.

To be sure though, you can check for the proofmarks that I believe Colt stamps on every assembled upper.  They'll show up as small triangular and/or square marks, normally with another character inside, lightly stamped forward of the ejection port.  Sorry, I don't have pics, but I'm sure one of the other members could help you out if you need them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:22:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Sure could be factory original, and like George_in_Wis mentioned, check for the stamps in front of the port door.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]
no stamps infront of the ejection port door
i bought it from a class 3 dealer who said it was off  a colt r0901 rifle
i just thought it was strange to see no forge mark on the receiver.  
thanks for help.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
no stamps infront of the ejection port door
i bought it from a class 3 dealer who said it was off  a colt r0901 rifle
i just thought it was strange to see no forge mark on the receiver.  
thanks for help.  

Did you get it from Dennis Todd?  Does it have a white "ink stamp" on the bolt?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I received a NIB Colt M4 receiver from Brownells with no forge marks.  The bag had Colt Defense and EMCO on it.  I sent it back because the feedramps were misaligned.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I received a NIB Colt M4 receiver from Brownells with no forge marks.  The bag had Colt Defense and EMCO on it.  I sent it back because the feedramps were misaligned.

I got a Colt's receiver from Brownell's that did not have the port door rod drilled, how about them apples?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:30:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I just sold a Colt dark gray flattop a few days ago. It only had "COLT 223"  on the LH side and nothing else! No forge mark,no proof mark.

Regarding the receivers from Brownells, could these upper receivers possibly be seconds?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:37:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just sold a Colt dark gray flattop a few days ago. It only had "COLT 223"  on the LH side and nothing else! No forge mark,no proof mark.

Regarding the receivers from Brownells, could these upper receivers possibly be seconds?

Technically I think they are referred to as replacement parts.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top