Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 9:06:15 AM EDT
Are they holding up when it gets warm. I live in south Ga where right now it's about 95 degrees and about 80% humidity. Add a blistering sun and you've got molten crayon. Is it holding up? Be honest please.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#1]
No problem in 100 degree  , 95% humidity ,Virginia.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope, did not melt away at all. Part of it fell out one time, and has worn away a little bit. I am down in hot and humid s.e. Texas.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#3]
My ArmaLite has held up for a couple of years with no touch up at all
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to try it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:05:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Did mine almost a year ago.   No problems.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:09:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Crayola does proofing and and temperature testing on their Crayons, unlike brand "X"
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#7]
i did some white Crayola on my Glock 34 slide a few years ago.
i was shooting at the range in midday heat (it was June-July 2004) here in Phx, AZ and within 3-4 mags the crayon was running down the sides of my gun.
(it was sitting in the shade when not being shot....of course the shade was probably 100+ degrees...)
it is still lightly visible but i'm not going to touch it up or do it again on any of my guns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i did some white Crayola on my Glock 34 slide a few years ago.
i was shooting at the range in midday heat (it was June-July 2004) here in Phx, AZ and within 3-4 mags the crayon was running down the sides of my gun.
(it was sitting in the shade when not being shot....of course the shade was probably 100+ degrees...)
it is still lightly visible but i'm not going to touch it up or do it again on any of my guns.

I think the Glock slide might be a different case though.  I Know, cause I had a G17, and the slide gets very hot after a lot of rounds, or rapid firing.  But for the fire and safe markings on the lower receiver, where it really doesn't get hot, and if it does get very hot in that area, your barrel and handguard would be smoking by then, and you'd stop shooting.

The only problem I've seen with crayola on my Bushmaster, is the red obsorbs the clp I use to clean off the surface, and eventually the red becomes so dark, it's hardly noticable (the red color), not really the case though for the white.

-mark
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy Crap there's a lot of people with too much time on their hands!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:14:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

12,000 posts in 4 years, makes that an average of maybe about 9 posts a day?  Hi pot, meet kettle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

12,000 posts in 4 years, makes that an average of maybe about 9 posts a day?  Hi pot, meet kettle.

Yeah but not just any posts.
MarkM has authored some of the funniest zingers to be seen on this board yet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Crayola does proofing and and temperature testing on their Crayons, unlike brand "X"

They inspect them after proofing, right?

Do they mark on them anywhere if they passed?

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Fixed for ya.  Check user info.

Quoted:

Quoted:

12,000 posts in 4 years, makes that an average of maybe about 9 7.58 posts a day?  Hi pot, meet kettle.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#14]
they are proof marked "CRAYOLA"

they don't go through the trouble of marking all sorts of little letters and numbers all over.  

If they don't have the paper sleeve that says "CRAYOLA," they aren't the real deal.  

I have heard that they don't stand up to the Arizona summer sun either.  

You don't want to open your case that's been sitting in your trunk and find out the lining is now made of wax!

I saw a bumper sticker "Friends don't let Friends Crayola"
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#15]
My bushy lower has held up, but I used brand X. Crayola only caters to kids and has left the older among us out. I do not support companies like that.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#16]
teh ghey!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Crayola snob!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I stopped coloring years ago.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:52:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Stay within the lines, the lines are your friend!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Stay within the lines, the lines are your friend!

Considering some of the folks we have on this site, it would NOT suprise me at all that some of the weapons around here probably look a lot more like DaBunny's avatar than an actual firearm.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top