User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:03:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Colt lover here!

Bought a 6400 and sold my other rifle afterwards. Gett'in a 6450 next.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:57:32 AM EDT
[#2]
colts all present and accounted for!
gold cup trophy
1991a1 ss orm
1991a1 blue nrm
OACP ss enhanced
soon to add a romanian dragunov
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:25:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Checking in a little late!

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:46:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Colt cult member reporting in.

That is all.

Scott
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:55:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I am a 3rd generation Colt Cult member.

Granddad's 41 Long Colt DA 1889
Uncle's 32 acp 1903 bought in 1942
Paladin's R6001 bought in 1982

Then a pair of 1911's followed me home.  A series 80 "Combat Elite" and "Combat Commander".

Around '91 a 2nd SP1 rifle, now my R6500 100% Colt clone.

A rebuilt '95 MT6700 became my Zombie rifle.

Colt Koolaid runs in my veins, which is kind of different amongst "3rd generation Transylvanians" (grandparents lived in vampire land, no shit!).  I guess that explains why I don't like Zombies...

Paladin
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:16:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll check in to break 50 posts, do we get a prize?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'll check in to break 50 posts, do we get a prize?

Only if you buy another Colt. That is your prize
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Kool-Aid drinker? Naw, more like Kool-Aid Transfusion with a Bushmaster and LMT thrown in for good measure

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:47:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A lack of faith doesn't make it any less true, they are Colt.

You are incorrect with your assumption that I don't like Colt.  I don't recall ever saying that, nor do I find it to be an accurate representation of my views.  I do not blindly worship Colt as others here seem to, but that hardly makes me hate any of my Colts.

As far as documentation, to be blunt, I have it, but its not an option for me to give it to you on a public board.  If it was something would affect you, it would be different.

If you don't want to post on a public forum how about you email it or IM me with it. If they are in fact Colt bolts, of course I would be interested to see the circumstances under which they broke. Doesn't affect me? Because I now use Colt bolts in all my AR15 type firearms how could it not affect me in one way or another? That information could only be useful. Edit out any names or agencies if necessary, but if you are willing to post the pics then it is only right that you share the rest of the info, otherwise the images out of context and invalid. Without the context and background the images mean absolutely nothing, and I am very disappointed you would post them in that way as I do respect your opinion and credibility in most cases.

I like your approach and your skepticism but when someone posts a thread about a broken Bushmaster bolt no one, including you, has asked for documentation proving the make and circumstances. Instead we just pile on with comments like, “yep, that’s why I only use Colt bolts” or “that’s because Bushmaster doesn’t MP every bolt like Colt does”.

I like my Colt bolts too but I’ve had two fail on me; one with 5000+ rounds and one with less than 120 rounds.  So I’m not as confident as I used to be in a bolt just because it has MPC stamped on it.  I’ve also learned to treat every bolt failure thread/story/comment with fairness.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:58:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a SP-1 carb. That I got in 1980 and a HBAR A-2 in 93. Two of my favorites. The HBAR turned me on to AR-15 type rifles big time. I now have 6 Mix of bushie , R/R. That I built myself. But for out of the box quality its hard to bet a COLT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Kool-Aid drinker? Naw, more like Kool-Aid Transfusion with a Bushmaster and LMT thrown in for good measure

pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL366/498052/6727259/91918725.jpg

Jeez, Dude.......I mean....sheesh....you got it BAD!!!!!

Looks like your BRD is turning terminal!!!

Can't think of a better way to die!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

"I could only succeed you, sir."
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:02:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A lack of faith doesn't make it any less true, they are Colt.

You are incorrect with your assumption that I don't like Colt.  I don't recall ever saying that, nor do I find it to be an accurate representation of my views.  I do not blindly worship Colt as others here seem to, but that hardly makes me hate any of my Colts.

As far as documentation, to be blunt, I have it, but its not an option for me to give it to you on a public board.  If it was something would affect you, it would be different.

If you don't want to post on a public forum how about you email it or IM me with it. If they are in fact Colt bolts, of course I would be interested to see the circumstances under which they broke. Doesn't affect me? Because I now use Colt bolts in all my AR15 type firearms how could it not affect me in one way or another? That information could only be useful. Edit out any names or agencies if necessary, but if you are willing to post the pics then it is only right that you share the rest of the info, otherwise the images out of context and invalid. Without the context and background the images mean absolutely nothing, and I am very disappointed you would post them in that way as I do respect your opinion and credibility in most cases.

I like your approach and your skepticism but when someone posts a thread about a broken Bushmaster bolt no one, including you, has asked for documentation proving the make and circumstances. Instead we just pile on with comments like, “yep, that’s why I only use Colt bolts” or “that’s because Bushmaster doesn’t MP every bolt like Colt does”.

I like my Colt bolts too but I’ve had two fail on me; one with 5000+ rounds and one with less than 120 rounds.  So I’m not as confident as I used to be in a bolt just because it has MPC stamped on it.  I’ve also learned to treat every bolt failure thread/story/comment with fairness.

The difference is I have actually called Bushmaster to confirm that they only spot-check their bolts and Barrels, despite stamping them ALL with B MP as if they were all checked, when they were not.  Let's call a spade a spade here. Most of the threads I have seen on AR15.com about Bushmaster, RRA or other manufacturer's deficiencies were reported by members of their own weapons, their accounts of what happened IS their documentation. That is nothing like posting an image of unknown origin with unknown etiology that could be basically anything. I have since learned enough to satisfy my curiousity concerning this, but I challenge you to provide evidence of even one situation where I have been critical where there was ZERO information provided of the posted image of a broken gun part. That's what I was looking at here.

Nice to know I have people following my every move and post. I guess I better not turn around to fast.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#14]
First AR was a used Match Target A2.  No longer have that rifle, however I'm currently saving to get a 6520 to supplement that batch of rifles I built since getting rid of the old Colt.  Granted, all the rifles I've build have performed flawlessly, and some of them include Colt parts...but nothing feels like a Colt, and I have to scratch the itch.  Must be nice to have the problems of Yard Dog One in the Colt dept.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Does your ammo locker look the same?

Max
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Max

I am wondering if he has a mag bunker!!!!  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#17]
colt mt6400c here
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Wow!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Heres to COLT
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got my 6920 not too long ago, FINALLY!!!  It is the fucking shiznit!  haha

You can CERTAINLY tell the difference.  I am a hard-core koolaider now.  My next project rifle-wise is probably going to be a zombie rifle though, i want to put together a beater / trunk / camping carbine.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:05:43 PM EDT
[#22]
sorry guys, im new here, could someone please explain the "koolaid" thing?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Sam Colt reporting for Kool Aid shots

Lightweight Sporter
Python
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

With as bad a case of BRD as you seem to have, have you ever had the urge to grind one of those beauties up and try to snort it!?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

No 20'' A2 tisk tisk.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Ditto!h=85%

Quoted:

hock.gifhink
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#27]
As soon as Colt uses std FCG pins and has a no-ban 20" with chrome-lined barrel and bayo lug/ A2 FH, I'll check in.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Those of us who believe in the superiority of Colt products are often accusd of "drinking Colts marketing Kool-Aid" and blindly following the company. Its a reference to the suicide by poisoned Kool-Aid (knock off actually-flavor aid or something) that hundreds og people drank in Jonestown at the direction of Jim Jones. Thats where the cult reference comes from too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:06:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Those of us who believe in the superiority of Colt products are often accusd of "drinking Colts marketing Kool-Aid" and blindly following the company. Its a reference to the suicide by poisoned Kool-Aid (knock off actually-flavor aid or something) that hundreds og people drank in Jonestown at the direction of Jim Jones. Thats where the cult reference comes from too.

haha I guess Im guilty of that... As much as I am anti- anti-second amendment people/organizations, The colt just has too much coolness...

I am wishing they had standard pins, is that against the rules?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I admit to being a active cool aid drinker, 2 6920s (Heckle and Jeckle) 1 HBAR, 1 Commander, 1 El series 38 Super, 3 SAAs (1st gen, 2nd gen, 3rd gen.)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:06:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Nope, they just refuse to
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Colt Sporter COMP HBAR R6700 and Colt Sporter HBAR R6601.............

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:51:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:53:43 AM EDT
[#34]

LE6920.

Semi-Colt mutt gun, has a Stag lower and CMT upper with Colt barrel, BCG, internals.

Next Colt will be a S70 repro in stainless.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:02:16 AM EDT
[#35]
I own a Colt 6920 and love it.  Bought it back before they called it the 6920 during the ban on letter head with the department. Its been the best Ar15 type gun I have owned. But to be fair all of my Colt's have served me well.
Pat
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:57:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
is that against the rules?

previous ATF directive now they're stuck with a ton of the parts. like all the former GI parts that make it into their civ line (slab side lowers, A1 upper) they use whatever they have on hand.

OK on the positive side here: Larger diameter FCG pin= larger bearing surface which equates to better durability/reliability? Just because the original AR15s had the smaller diameter FCG pins does not meant they are better. The originals didn't have picatinny rails or M4 feedramps, so that makes these features undesirable?

I know everyone want the small diameter pins because the military uses them and therefore they are da bomb, but from a functionality standpoint, the large diameter pins work just fine IMO.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:58:35 AM EDT
[#37]
It is commonly reported that the "slab sided" uppers and lowers Colt's used on the SP1 series were made from left over forgings from the 1960's.  That is incorrect in that the vast majority (never say all with Colt's) uppers and lowers that Colt's used in the 1970's and 1980's on the SP1 were made from newly manufactured forgings.  

The oversized and offset pivot pin hole was used as per ATF's instructions.  The sear block, and oversized trigger/hammer pin holes were one of Colt's famously brilliant marketing moves.  The sear block and oversized pivot pin was dropped.  Contrary to BR II the oversized trigger/hammer pin is here to stay.  The bolt carrier morphed numerous times into the abortion that is commonly referred to as the "half circle".  Fortunately that part is out of production and the LEO line along with the USGI line now use the same part.

The cult followers of Jim Jones drank a unauthorized knock off of Kool-Aid (TM) laced with poison.  The brand was Flavor-Aid.  In other words it was the knock off drinkers not Kool-Aid (TM) drinkers that blindly followed a cult to their demise.

AR-15 bolts are weak sisters, and bust, and because of that there are strict Big Army requirements in their manufacture.  Currently they must be made according to the TDP owned by Colt's and purchased by the US Government under a strict contract, be made of carpenter steel, shot peened, proof fired with a M197 high pressure test round, magnafluxed, and marked MP with a manufacturers code.  Any bolt manufactured to lower standards is just that, a lower standard, ie cheap.

Colt's has offered Big Army an improved bolt, but they are not buying it.

That is my free of charge trivia post for the day.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

OK on the positive side here: Larger diameter FCG pin= larger bearing surface which equates to better durability/reliability? Just because the original AR15s had the smaller diameter FCG pins does not meant they are better. The originals didn't have picatinny rails or M4 feedramps, so that makes these features undesirable?

I know everyone want the small diameter pins because the military uses them and therefore they are da bomb, but from a functionality standpoint, the large diameter pins work just fine IMO.

I don't doubt they work. I know they do.

It's just Colt had to be different, isolating themselves from the rest of the entire market.

I realize Ekie said it was because of an ATF ruling (pivot pin, anyway), but that was years ago, and many companies have started up since then producing lowers very close to an M16A2 lower (i.e. low shelf, std FCG pins, std pivot pin).

No flaming intended, but I think it is just one of their PC policies that is keeping them from going to .154" pins, not their better performance beacause if they really did work better or wear signifigantly better, Colt wouldn't be the only ones with them.

Just MHO.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 9:55:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Hey, I don't know about you, but I classify interchangable parts under "functionality".  I don't want any proprietary crap.  My AR is essentially entirely Colt, with the exception of the stripped lower itself and the FCG pins.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:20:10 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It is commonly reported that the "slab sided" uppers and lowers Colt's used on the SP1 series were made from left over forgings from the 1960's.  That is incorrect in that the vast majority (never say all with Colt's) uppers and lowers that Colt's used in the 1970's and 1980's on the SP1 were made from newly manufactured forgings.  

The oversized and offset pivot pin hole was used as per ATF's instructions.  The sear block, and oversized trigger/hammer pin holes were one of Colt's famously brilliant marketing moves.  The sear block and oversized pivot pin was dropped.  Contrary to BR II the oversized trigger/hammer pin is here to stay.  The bolt carrier morphed numerous times into the abortion that is commonly referred to as the "half circle".  Fortunately that part is out of production and the LEO line along with the USGI line now use the same part.

The cult followers of Jim Jones drank a unauthorized knock off of Kool-Aid (TM) laced with poison.  The brand was Flavor-Aid.  In other words it was the knock off drinkers not Kool-Aid (TM) drinkers that blindly followed a cult to their demise.

AR-15 bolts are weak sisters, and bust, and because of that there are strict Big Army requirements in their manufacture.  Currently they must be made according to the TDP owned by Colt's and purchased by the US Government under a strict contract, be made of carpenter steel, shot peened, proof fired with a M197 high pressure test round, magnafluxed, and marked MP with a manufacturers code.  Any bolt manufactured to lower standards is just that, a lower standard, ie cheap.

Colt's has offered Big Army an improved bolt, but they are not buying it.

That is my free of charge trivia post for the day.

Now that's what I call a no-shit assessment.
Thanks for taking the time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#41]

Colt Kool-aid drinker checkin in

Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Show-off

Have a little sympathy!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#43]
Unfortunatly I just have one MT6700 . But this is to be expected, I am still just a 19 year old college kid, I just need to find a job and that 6920 and/or 6520 will finally be mine. Ohh yes the kool-aid is strong with this one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Was nothing, just that some of the misconceptions around here is becoming like urban legends.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was nothing, just that some of the misconceptions around here is becoming like urban legends.

If it weren't for Ekie and CJan...there's stuff I'd still be believin' that just ain't true.  You guys rock!

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#46]

You're a role model to all of a Amercia's youth.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Max

I am wondering if he has a mag bunker!!!!  

Well, I believe that 1000 rounds pre rifle is a good rule of thumb for any well stocked arsenal,
unfortunatly I'm not there yet

Quoted:

Hey, I don't know about you, but I classify interchangable parts under "functionality".  I don't want any proprietary crap.  My AR is essentially entirely Colt, with the exception of the stripped lower itself and the FCG pins.

Interchangability?
Well if you have all Colts and buy all Colt parts as replacements, then you will have the standard.
I myself dont have a problem with the large pin FCG set up, it's just a matter of having enough replacement parts if a given part were to go, however unlikely it is

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

If it weren't for Ekie and CJan...there's stuff I'd still be believin' that just ain't true.  You guys rock!

Thanks, just a hobby for me, something I enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:10:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks, just a hobby for me, something I enjoy.

Still, very nice to have knowledgeable members who can set the record straight when needed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Show-off

Have a little sympathy!

Sorry,

I wont post anything about the two I am dealing on
Page / 3
Archived [ARCHIVED THREAD] - Know what??? It's time for Colt Cult Check In (Page 2 of 3)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top