Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:52:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I blew the compensator off my Colt post ban. I was shooting at 50 yards...the comp hit the target about 6 inches to the left of the bullet

Sorry, that was back before I took a cam to the range everytime
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Melted my bushmaster factory handguards while learning to bump fire from the shoulder. Did about 8 mag dumps as fast as I could. Didn't notice it until I got home, they seemed to wiggle a bit. Pulled em and the whole front end of both handguards was melted.

ETA: Replaced shortly thereafter with MI aluminum 4 rail handguards. No more melting.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I dropped my M4gery once, and a chunk chipped off of my VLTOR carbine stock.

I took a picture, emailed it to VLTOR, and asked them how much it is to replace it....guess what they did?

They got my address, sent for  UPS call tag, picked up my stock, and sent me a NEW replacement stock at no cost to me for my old/broken VLTOR.

Talk about customer service........i didn't keep the pics though, as I was pretty happy with the service!
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:50:21 PM EDT
[#7]
busted the top off  the hammer of an old oly  firing it. if just stopped firing, opened it up and low and behold the top of the hammer was missing. must have been a cast part.
lee
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I blew the compensator off my Colt post ban.

the model with the roll pins?

yep
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I've never broken anything on my AK. Oh, sorry.

Do you abuse it like I abuse my AR?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I took a picture, emailed it to VLTOR, and asked them how much it is to replace it....guess what they did?

They got my address, sent for  UPS call tag, picked up my stock, and sent me a NEW replacement stock at no cost to me for my old/broken VLTOR.

Talk about customer service........i didn't keep the pics though, as I was pretty happy with the service!

So, They got to you, Mr. S.? Got you to supress the evidence, eh?

Seriously, though, what part chipped off? The buttplate? I have three VLTORs, but I think the buttplate is a bit thin...
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Colt SP1-  Sheered the bolt carrier nearly in half length-wise, busted the extractor in half and IIRC, blew the ejector out as well as breaking the bolt catch...And dumped ~15 rounds out the bottom of what used to be a 20rd Colt mag.  All w/ one shot.  ARs are not meant to send 110 grains down range.  Sorry no pics but this was back in 1998 or early 99.  

I was shooting through an impromptu course my Dad and I had set up when the rifle failed to fire.  I charged the weapon again and heard a distinct "CLICK".  I put the weapon on the deck and continued through the course w/ my sidearm.  My father, who was on a hill observing me, went down and picked up the Colt taking it back to the truck.  As I finished the course and returned to the top of the hill, I saw my Dad at our target range and he charged the weapon and looked at what appeared to be a spent case that was ejected.  He figured I just had an undercharged round which failed to cycle the action.  Somehow, he had the good sense to hold the rifle low by his hip and away from his body when he pulled the trigger.  He thus found out that the "undercharged" round, his own reload in his own rifle BTW, was actually a squib load w/ no powder.  The "click" I heard was just the primer sending the bullet up the bore a few inches or so.  He then charged a round behind the bullet in the bore and KABOOM.  Scratch one Colt SP1 upper.  The lower was fine aside from the broken bolt release.

The only other things I've seen worn or broken was a set of gas rings, an extractor. (Which was a SOB to troubleshoot) and a BM plastic trigger guard that broke when the rifle was mounted on an ATV gun rack resting on the guard.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sounds like you shouldn't use Model1Sales parts bolts.

Yeah Thats better.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:13:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, They got to you, Mr. S.? Got you to supress the evidence, eh?

Seriously, though, what part chipped off? The buttplate? I have three VLTORs, but I think the buttplate is a bit thin...

+1

Yes, it was the butt plate.........conspiracy?  I WOULD have posted pics right when it broke, but I wanted to see how their service would be......and they were great.

I'm sure they wanted to see what part broke, maybe to improve.....at least I hope so.

I'm happy....2 years, no more drops so far.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#16]
A buffer tube on a M16A2. No sh*t. Was IMT'ing up the buddy team live fire course at Benning when I was reclassing and going through Infantry OSUT in '99, buttstock hit the ground as per the standards, and the f'ing thing just came apart in my hands. I had a stockless rifle in one hand, the stock in my other hand, and the buffer assembly on the ground. The tube had died of metal fatigue at the threads after however much abuse by however many trainees.

The drill sergeant's comment was "Wow, I haven't seen that happen before."
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:02:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I was at the range yesterday and having problems with the bolt not locking back consistently on when the magazine ran dry.  Finally hinged the carbine open to see what was going on inside, and low and behold the bolt catch has a big chunk missing out of the top.  Guess it must have just been a bad one...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:22:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I ruined a carbine buffer tube by not pulling the detent plate off the receiver before unthreading the buffer tube.

I was wondering why it turned so hard

Don't have the pics anymore, though.

WIZZO
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top