Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2005 10:51:48 AM EDT
There is no forward assist on the Bushmaster Carbon 15s.  Is this OK?  Are the newer AR15s, like the Carbon 15, built good enough not to require them?
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#1]
are you using it in combat? that said, dupe 8 billion
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#2]
they don't even have the durst cover
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#3]
You first problem is a Carbon 15.... Ditch it.

With the paltry sum you will receive for selling the above mentioned piece of crap, you should buy a real AR15

RRA
DPMS
CMMG
Mega
Stag
EA
Olympic
Colt
Ameetec
Etc....

and yes, even the venereable Cav-15 (of which I do own a minimum of 1)

Hell you can even buy a lower and build your own.

BUT....If you are going to get serious about shooting, personal protection, homeland security and your right to keep and bear arms, please don't do it with half a rifle.

Just my 02.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay once again excuse the ignorance and all but what exactly is the point of the Carbon 15? The ~0.2 lb weight difference? Not trying to diss your rifle or anything but come on...the AR15 is already a very light weapon. Why spend the extra $400-600? I say sell the Carbon 15 and build a regular M4gery for about half the price of the Carbon and buy a couple cases of ammo and a bunch of mags to put it all in...
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You first problem is a Carbon 15.... Ditch it.

With the paltry sum you will receive for selling the above mentioned piece of crap, you should buy a real AR15

RRA
DPMS
CMMG
Mega
Stag
EA
Olympic
Colt
Ameetec
Etc....

and yes, even the venereable Cav-15 (of which I do own a minimum of 1)

Hell you can even buy a lower and build your own.

BUT....If you are going to get serious about shooting, personal protection, homeland security and your right to keep and bear arms, please don't do it with half a rifle.

Just my 02.

FOR ONCE, I AGREE 100% with this guy!!

Why people are willing to waste money on the Carbon 15 trash just PUZZLES THE SHIT OUT OF ME!

IT'S JUNK!  If a real AR is to heavy for you, then you should be in the gym!
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

FOR ONCE, I AGREE 100% with this guy!!

I didn't know we had such a difference of opinion

Seriously Sorlando, the Carbon-15 started out as a real piece of shit, bolts snapped in half seemed to be the main problem.  Bushmaster bought  the company's line and proceeded to make it marginally better, but now (10/2005) Bushmaster announced that they are discontinuing it.  

Sell it while you can!!!
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#7]
When and where did they say they were killing the carbon Bushies?  I missed this one.

Link Posted: 11/9/2005 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Polymer is the Future!

I love my Carbon 15 m4.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Hadn't heard that they were discontinuing the Carbon 15.  They killed the M17 and the BAR-10.  And I'll chime in here and say that the newer Carbon 15's are worlds better than the old ones.  Still no reason to buy one over an aluminum gun, but they are better.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 11:54:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'll chime in here and say that the newer Carbon 15's are worlds better than the old ones.  Still no reason to buy one over an aluminum gun, but they are better.

A better piece of shit is still a piece of shit.  And you're right.  There's no reason to buy one instead of an aluminum gun.  I wouldn't take one for FREE.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Are the newer AR15s, like the Carbon 15, built good enough not to require them?

Carbon 15 have had their fair share of problems. Lack of forward assist would be the least of them.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 12:03:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
  Still no reason to buy one over an aluminum gun, but they are better.

Sure there is.

I own several aluminum ones too.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
A better piece of shit is still a piece of shit.

That's worthy of a sigline.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh-Oh - I screwed up.  Bushmaster has not announced the demise of the Carbon 15 as I earlier stated.

I'm sorry - I was confused. For those of you out there that might have taken my comment as the absolute truth, please accept my apologies

That announcement will most likely come in January 2006.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#15]
So are you guys trying to imply the Carbon 15's are a bad choice?
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
There is no forward assist on the Bushmaster Carbon 15s.  Is this OK?  Are the newer AR15s, like the Carbon 15, built good enough not to require them?

to answer your question is yes, thats ok. most folks will never need to use the FA.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 12:55:14 PM EDT
[#17]
"what is the point of a Carbon 15?"  Not be be better or worse than any other AR, or to insite a riot, but simply to have something different than the 20", 16",or M4gery.  Hell, what's the point of these variations for civilians not involved in combat?  It's just to have one more different gun than what else you may have.

The criticism sounds stupid, grow up.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So are you guys trying to imply the Carbon 15's are a bad choice? hr

If all these high horse 'not a real ARers' did a little history, they would remember something.  'Stamped aluminum!'  'You cant make a gun out of aluminum.'  The AR in has always been a test bed for new use of materials.  The vaunted aluminum receivers were not well received when first used.  They had teething problems.

It seems to me the use of poly in the AR is only appropriate.  Bushmaster seems to have worked out the teething problems.  When they have occurred Bushmaster has stood behind them and made it right in every case I have heard of.

Bet you see more poly carbines from more manufacturers in the near future.  Just like in handguns.  Now almost all manufacturers have a poly handgun.  If they don't, they have had or are planning on it.  I bet others are looking at the Carbon 15 to see where it goes and making their own plans if not testing now.

Some of us love our Carbon 15s.  HK-Dude has 3 or 4.

It is just like when the Glocks came out.  "Oooo Ahhh plastic guns.  Run for the hills Mageret!"

To note.  I sold the Glock.  Kept the SW.  May sell it.  Keeping the Carbon 15M4, Winchester 94, 1022, and the CZ.  That ought to cause some flames.
have
Edited:  I just found this:
New HK is "built around the polymer receiver" world.guns.ru/assault/as61-e.htm
Note no forward assist.  Haha
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I love my Carbon 15.

I do not take it to combat, so I have no use for a Forward Assist.  if you are out plinking and you have a failure, would you just start banging on a forward assist, or would you try to clear the problem.  In a life or death situation, I might slap the FA, but in my world, the FA is just asking for jamming it worse or damaging the rifle.

And all the guys who poopoo on the Carbon 15 are allowed to have thier opinions, but mine operates flawlessly.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I am in the process of building a full carbon M4 from Bushmaster.  I have a RRA 16" M4gery.  I will compare the both and report here.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#21]
polymer is for fags.

steel is for men.

I'm mostly talking about pistols btw.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 6:11:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
polymer is for fags.

steel is for men.

I'm mostly talking about pistols btw.

I have a half "plastic" XD-9, it is very cool and light.  My Kahr PM9 weighs less than a pound.  Great for sticking in the waistband of sweats and shorts without it being so heavy it pulls your pants down.

But then, I also have a Springfield 1911, nothing light about that monster!
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I love my Carbon 15.

I do not take it to combat, so I have no use for a Forward Assist.  if you are out plinking and you have a failure, would you just start banging on a forward assist, or would you try to clear the problem.  In a life or death situation, I might slap the FA, but in my world, the FA is just asking for jamming it worse or damaging the rifle.

And all the guys who poopoo on the Carbon 15 are allowed to have thier opinions, but mine operates flawlessly.

Two weeks ago I had a couple of jams on my AR Pistol.  I was using that Brand-W ammo and not my normal barnaul (7.62x39).  The Wo...(whoops, almost said it!) Brand-W stuff failed to fully go into battery (several times) and caused a bad jam after the trigger was pulled.  Bolt would not go back at all.  The takedown pins were not broken in yet and very stiff so I couldn't open it up on the line.  Only way to get through it was to hit the forward assist to get the bolt forward into battery and then the charging handle could be used to open the bolt and re-charge the weapon.  

Of note is that I'm still using the M1S 'buffer/spring' setup, however it runs flawlessly on the Barnaul ammo.  Also, even though my Model 604 copy runs without a hiccup sans forward assist, my old issue M16A1 needed the forward assist more than a few times.

My .02 cents?  You most likely won't need a forward assist, but when you do need it you will really be glad that it's there for you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top