AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I just received the answer from Bushmaster and the information I received for the article was indeed correct.  All their barrels are Magnetic Particle Tested and not just a sampling.  I hope this helps to clear up any confusion there may have been in the past.

Jeff Z

Thankyou for the update!

This is going to hurt a lot of Colt owners feelings, it was a big deal to them that only Colt did this.

Blah blah blah yes I'm a Colt owner......

It will indeed be a blow to many Colt owners who hang their hat on this particular subject.

But they'll come back with -

"But do they shot peen and MP the bolts????"

Colt owners.....................................so predictable.

Reporting as requested.  The "P" in MP stands for Proof.  Proof means to pressure test with a proof load, and has meant this same thing for hundreds of years.  Something the article fails to mention.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#2]
MGI website with info on new magwell

www.mgimilitary.com/Lower_Receiver_Mult_Mag_Wells.htm

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It seems like your experience with this ammo contradicts just about everything I've ever read about it, including some reviews posted here.  

Perhaps NATEC has modified it recently?

Justin

Agreed, they must have come up w/ a new polymer and adhesion process. I try not to bash products but NATEC is the one exception for me. I HAVE NEVER SHOT SUCH TOTAL SHIT AMMO. The batches I shot weren't just shitty and unreliable they were very dangerous. Case seperations left and right in multiple AR's (Bushy and Colt) You could not pay me to shoot NATEC and I truly mean that. I returned 7 boxes out of 10 to Bass Pro shops and provided them with what was left of the fired cases, many blown primers (1 in 3) brass heads pulled seperated the polymer cases during attempted extraction, bullets could be unseated and removed from unfired rounds. I am not exagerating. Complete trash ammo, I rank it at the very bottom of the proverbial barrel.
If they've changed the design maybe it's good to go  now but you won't catch me trying it out again. The cases were grey that I shot. Maybe a total of 30 rnds fired successfully. What did fire was a little slower then XM193. Accuracy was nothing to brag about, a little worse then XM193 as well. What I did like was the weight savings which is very noticable. For the record, in all 3 rifles we immediately switched back to Q3131A and XM193 and all problems dissappeard. Just my .02 and experience, take it or leave it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've got to say that I was disappointed in the way the MPI portion of the Bushmaster article was written...... I think it leads the reader to conclude Bushmaster conducts the same tests that Colt does, which as far as I know is not correct.

I have no idea what you do not believe to be correct here.  I read that paragraph and then I re-read it, and that is exactly the process as described to me.  The Bushmaster barrels all undergo Magnetic Particle Testing and are checked again with an Eddy Current prior to acceptance for inventory either for sale or assembly.  There may be something else or different that happens at Colt but the article is focusing on Bushmaster and I have not been invited to the Colt facility to document manufacturing methods.  Is there something I still don't understand or were you under the impression that Bushmaster did not utilize Magnetic Particle Testing along with the Eddy Current testing?  I guess I am a little confused at what you find inaccurate.

Quoted:
I also took issue with NJSP being brought up and blamed for the weapon laws in NJ....

I didn't write that piece so I can't help you with this one.  Sorry 'bout that.

Quoted:
I've read two articles so far, and I'm hoping the rest of the magazine is going to be different.  I've been please with my subscription thus far, so take my comments as you will.

Thanks Stickman.  Really.  I hope you do enjoy SAR and know that I value readers comments very much.  Thanks for taking the time to drop a post and I hope we can clear up the barrel statement.

Jeff Z

THIS IS AWESOME INFORMATION
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've got to say that I was disappointed in the way the MPI portion of the Bushmaster article was written (Page 37 2nd paragraph).  It talked about 100% of Bushmaster weapons being checked for headspace, after comparing the Magnetic Particle Testing of Colt and Bushmaster.  I think it leads the reader to conclude Bushmaster conducts the same tests that Colt does, which as far as I know is not correct.

The article was carefully worded to give the impression that the inspection process of Bushmaster's is similar or the same as the proof process used in USGI rifles.  I am similarly disappointed, but not surprised.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have no idea what you do not believe to be correct here.  I read that paragraph and then I re-read it, and that is exactly the process as described to me.  

Here is quote from the aritcle:

as it appeared in SAR:
The familiar "CMP" mark often seen would indicated Colt Magnetic Particle Testing and "BMP" would indicate Bushmaster Particle Testing and so on.

The MP is a Government required proof marking that means that component has been Proofed, and Magnetic particle inspected.  As has been the case for hundreds of years Proof mean that particular component has been Proofed by firing a high pressure cartridge.

The article goes on with the false and purposely deceptive idea that the MP marking is not a proof marking, but a simple inspection marking.  If one of you has it available, take a second look at the article.  It is simply carefully crafted deceptive advertising.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I just received the answer from Bushmaster and the information I received for the article was indeed correct.  All their barrels are Magnetic Particle Tested and not just a sampling.  I hope this helps to clear up any confusion there may have been in the past.

Jeff Z

I'd take that with a grain of salt.  A few years ago they claimed on this site that they fixed their issues with excessive windage by implementing laser alignment and yet the problem still occurs today.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It seems like your experience with this ammo contradicts just about everything I've ever read about it, including some reviews posted here.  

Perhaps NATEC has modified it recently?

I've seen good and bad reviews on this stuff here on ARFcom.

My personal experiece with the ammo was favorable.  However I was not running 100s of rounds of the stuff (frankly it's too darn expensive - for some reason gunshop owners think plastic is as expensive as Silver based on the pricing).
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Those who do not wish to accept the provided information because of certain prejudices about the superior nature of a another brand, can choose to ignore the statement.

The information in regards to USGI markings is a half truth, as in purposely misleading:

as it appeared in SAR:
The familiar "CMP" mark often seen would indicated Colt Magnetic Particle Testing and "BMP" would indicate Bushmaster Particle Testing and so on.

Thing is that bad info was put there on purpose, to create the misconception that there is a parallel between the meaning of the MP markings on a USGI weapon, and a Bushmaster.  

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:55:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have no way of knowing of SAR's "intentions" to mislead anybody.

Nor do I.

Quoted:
Perhaps if it was that eggregious of a mis-statement, a correction can be added to an upcoming issue,

Now that would be most impressive.

Quoted:
along with exactly what MPI testing is, and what it does mean and doesn't mean as regards barrels.

Yeah, that is the deal, MPI is only half of the USGI proof marking MP.  The other half being Proof.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:20:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I shot a bunch of Natec and got bullet set backs. The result of the set backs were ruptured case necks. Neck tension was an obvious problem.

I threw away a lot of it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 8:37:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jeff Z

Thankyou for the update!

This is going to hurt a lot of Colt owners feelings, it was a big deal to them that only Colt did this.

Blah blah blah yes I'm a Colt owner......

It will indeed be a blow to many Colt owners who hang their hat on this particular subject.

But they'll come back with -

"But do they shot peen and MP the bolts????"

Colt owners.....................................so predictable.

Reporting as requested.  The "P" in MP stands for Proof.  Proof means to pressure test with a proof load, and has meant this same thing for hundreds of years.  Something the article fails to mention.

Knew that.  Shot peen is an "extra" step done in addition to shot peen.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top