Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2005 11:34:14 AM EDT
I know that this is really a preference question, but I was wondering which of these stocks people prefer?

The main thing that I am looking for in a stock are rigidity and a good cheek weld.  I have not really been able to handle any of these stocks (with the exception of the M4) in person or handle a rifle with these stocks attached thanks to living in a really small town.  The only thing that I have been basing my decision on is pictures of the stocks on web pages and pictures of the stocks on individual's rifles.

What are the different customization options that each stock allows you?  Why did you or why would you chose one of these stocks over another?  

Thanks and sorry for the broad, opinion based question.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I know that this is really a preference question, but I was wondering which of these stocks people prefer?

The main thing that I am looking for in a stock are rigidity and a good cheek weld.  I have not really been able to handle any of these stocks (with the exception of the M4) in person or handle a rifle with these stocks attached thanks to living in a really small town.  The only thing that I have been basing my decision on is pictures of the stocks on web pages and pictures of the stocks on individual's rifles.

What are the different customization options that each stock allows you?  Why did you or why would you chose one of these stocks over another?  

i like the vltor, because of how easy it is to change configurations. IMO the cheekweld is about the same as the lmt. Some people with beards dont like the vltor because their facial hair gets stuck where the stock comes together. The vltor and lmt are similar otherwise, with build quality and ridgitity being identical.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i like the vltor, because of how easy it is to change configurations. IMO the cheekweld is about the same as the lmt. Some people with beards dont like the vltor because their facial hair gets stuck where the stock comes together. The vltor and lmt are similar otherwise, with build quality and ridgitity being identical.

+1
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the LMT.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I've owned all of them at some point..
The magpul--looks "spaceage"..great cheek rest and very easy to manipulate the length of pull one you get used to it....Cheek weld is great since you rest your face on the buffer tube not the stock so if you move close to nose the charging handle you still have consistent cheek weld.
                  --No the easiest thing to assemble and no compartments for batteries..also heavy
The LMT Sopmod---I got it because it looks better on my SPR than my Magpul...The problem is that when you have a long length of pull you end up putting your cheek on the buffer tube and loose the advantage of a wide cheek weld...which by the way...is just ok on my cheek...Seems like i am going to slid off this thing since it slopes so wide and down to the sides..
                 ----Had compartments but sucks at removal of the batteries. and a little more difficult to mount slings to it

The M4...traditional look but that bump on the front of the buttstock is annoying....No compartments

Voltor---Just like the Sopmod but a little more comfortable feel on the cheek piece..i dont feel like sliding off....has compartments

The issue with all of these is that the prices are all ripofffs!!! The workmanship on the LMT was just average since you can see where all the injection molding or whatever plastic pieces were all put together.....the voltor and magpul is nicely put together..If you already have a mildspec buffer tube than the cost of the voltor and Sopmod is under 200...The magpul requires the whole kit and costs a little more...
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The one that is the most rigid, and has the most consistent cheek weld is the MagPul. It is also the most expensive, and will start to dry up since they have stopped making the M93 series. If you want one, you better get it now. The replacement is not yet available.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I personally like the ACE Socom stocks. Not alot of people likem but mine fits me and is very strong.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I just picked up a Vltor Club, and I am very impressed!
The most versatile set-up I've tried.
I too like the cheekweld a bit better than the SOPMOD.
(just gotta make sure I shave every once & awhile!)

I think the lastest gen. has cammed tube caps to help remove them a bit easier.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I personally like the ACE Socom stocks. Not alot of people likem but mine fits me and is very strong.

the most expensive crap i have ever bought.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:28:58 PM EDT
[#10]
i like the vltor and the magpul for its great cheekweld and strength.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Can you please elaborate on ACE stocks? Why they didn't fit you? I'm thinking about getting one, would you share your experience?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I love the Vltor. I don't shoot nose to CH so the cheek weld is perfect for me.

For the same reason, the Magpul doesn't work for me at all. My face ends up halfway off the stock.

If you can, try them before you buy one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#14]
The Magpul is nice, but I could never convince myself to part ways with $250 when my $60 M4 stock works just fine for me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I just picked up a Vltor Club, and I am very impressed!
The most versatile set-up I've tried.
I too like the cheekweld a bit better than the SOPMOD.
(just gotta make sure I shave every once & awhile!)

I think the lastest gen. has cammed tube caps to help remove them a bit easier.

to fix that just place a strip of od duct tape over the joint and your hair doesnt get snagged :)
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Can someone do me a favor and post a picture from the top of a Magpul stock fully extended?  It looks like there may be a gap between the cheek weld and the end of the buffer tube.  I tend to sit with my head towards the back of the stock so this woudl concern me.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#17]
OK, I'll dare to be different.  While I must admit the M93B I have is one heck of a solid and well made stock, I do not like the cheek weld I personally get from it.  I like the idea of a tube that feels the same no matter where your face is.  This is where the M93 rules.  FYI, I do not plan on getting rid of it anytime soon cause it is a cool gadget.

My favorite is the LMT SOPMOD.  I don't run these fully extended and like them set to the same length as the Gen II/VLTOR stocks when fully extended.  The VLTOR is a close second choice.  The SOPMOD has the edge for me because the stock is physically longer and gives me more real estate for my cheek.   I only wish VLTOR made a similar length stock  The concept of modular storage compartments, easily removable storage caps, and the reasonable price are appealing.  The facial hair issue is not a problem for me, unlike some of you mountain men.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
SOPMOD and M93B are my two favs.

C4

www.GRTactical.com

+1

Quoted:
Can someone do me a favor and post a picture from the top of a Magpul stock fully extended?  It looks like there may be a gap between the cheek weld and the end of the buffer tube.  I tend to sit with my head towards the back of the stock so this woudl concern me.

If you ride the ass end of the stock then the Magpul is not for you.  I use NTCH check weld so it's perfect for me.  The best advice has already been given-try to find people who will let you try them out.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:53:08 PM EDT
[#19]
The magpul stock is a solid piece of stock.  However their is a price.  It's heavier, and it doesn't have the best cheek weld if you like to put your cheek to the rear of the stock.  It does have more adjustability.  But, if you put the stock fully collapsed, the handle to adjust it hits the webbing between the thumb and forefinger.  Minus these three things, I'd choose it over any other.  

However:  I don't think I'll buy another for one reason.  The magpul costs a lot more than I'll be paying for my next build.  I love it, and I am very happy that I drooped the $ for it.  My current build and the next build are going to be two different types of ar's.  This one is going to be a safe queen, and the next one is going to be a beater rifle.  Not saying I'm not going to shoot it, but it's more of a cool toy, than a shooter.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Since the can has been opened already...

My work rifle has an Ace Socom shorty. I like it because it is all steel (read tough as hell), and the slightly higher-than-stock weight balances some of the junk on the front end. The more you extend it, the more it works as a counter balance. By happy coincidence, my rifle balances perfectly at the second-from-collapsed position, where my length of pull is ideal.

Also does not require a proprietary (expensive) buffer tube.

Does not have compartments. My department issues me pockets though, and I never understood having spare stuff on the gun itself (dead weight).

I won't lie, I mainly bought it 'cause I think it looks cool.

I paid $160, which is maybe average. I have never had any problems with it, like the "loose screw" complaints I've heard of.

My $.02, YMMV.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:01:30 AM EDT
[#21]
LMT/SOPMOD is my choice because:

It has a great cheek-weld

It has the traditional look (as opposed to edgy, futuristic models)

It has storage (although that is a bonus and Id have one without storage)

Rubber butt-pad is helpful for anchoring your hold (non-slip)

It is very sturdy and unlikely to break. It also is a very snug fit (to the buffer tube , no wobble)

It isn't cheap, but then again, it isn't cheap!
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:10:23 AM EDT
[#22]
speaking of the Magpul M93...........

Is this stock being replaced/upgraded/changed in some way?

While looking for a pic of the Magpul fully extended (top view) I read something to that effect.

Not sure, and do not want to spread mis-information, so someone please set me straight. (Not the PRS)

They are an innovated lot, and I am sure if it is so, there will be a lot of buzz about it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:44:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Can you please elaborate on ACE stocks? Why they didn't fit you? I'm thinking about getting one, would you share your experience?

Thanks

i had two of them.....

the two slotted screws on the top of the stocks butt would work loose causing the stock to become wobbly(sp) then gouge the buffer tube itself..

the actual collapsing cam would rotate jamming itself in a half position while shooting rendering it "fixed" and uncollapsable without tools to disassemble. .

the cam would sear itself and then would be out of round so holding solid in one position would be impossible and loose, when shot it would jam itself..

expensive stock after finding its weak points.. supposedly a door breaching stock? overall its a solid stock but it has major weak points.

if made "fixed" its solid except for the two slotted screws that are there to remedy the "play"..

the two i had were on a 5.56 rifle and my .50 beowulf the stocks could not handle either rifles or the abuse i put them through. fluke? i had two of them along with a friends one making three stocks that shared the same weakness which to me would be enough to not ever waste money or time on one again.

for the price its not worth it at all and for those that use it and have no problems, great. im probably too hard on the stocks or actually take mine out of the car/safe.

eta: the stock did not live up to its advertisement in my cases
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:59:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I've pretty much used them all, my pics would be the LMT SOPMOD/CRANE, VLTOR, and the Magpul M93 series. The Magpul is a very nicely built stock, but in my opinion it's a tad heavy on a lightwieght M4 style carbine.

EK..that's interesting info to know. I really liked the "look" of that ACE stock, but had doubts about it's durability.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:06:37 AM EDT
[#25]
others have had great luck with the ace stock so it would be safe to say i ran into three flukes?

it does look nice and the concept of it is appealing but for me looks doesnt do the job.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:14:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I think the best overall is the Magpul.  With that said it's expensive, heavy, requires a lot of proprietary parts, and can be a pain to install.  But in terms of the things a stock should do (not wobble, provide a good cheek weld, etc.).

I dislike the LMT because it's just so damn big compared to the others.

I'll be going with the Vltor on my new go-to carbine, in part because it's light, has storage, and installs directly over my stock existing receiver extension (what is this "buffer tube" some of you keep talking about?).

I currently own a Vltor and a Magpul.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:45:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
speaking of the Magpul M93...........

Is this stock being replaced/upgraded/changed in some way?

While looking for a pic of the Magpul fully extended (top view) I read something to that effect.

Not sure, and do not want to spread mis-information, so someone please set me straight. (Not the PRS)

They are an innovated lot, and I am sure if it is so, there will be a lot of buzz about it.

The M93 series has been discontinued in favor of a new and imporved modular system. Details are not available yet, but it will reportedly be similar to the modular system shown in the M93 manual.  

There is a "hole" between the end of the extension and the butt of the stock when extended. It will not cause a problem for most shooters, as the "hole" is quite a ways back. Even then, the side rails of the stock will provide you with a adequate cheek weld.

The stock is not for everyone, but its for me on my primary gun. I too like the Vltor and have run one on my carbine and a fixed A1 length on a rifle. If its mine and it doesn't have a MagPul on it, it has a Vltor on it. (Except my retro A1 carbine of course)

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:46:23 AM EDT
[#28]
VLTOR is the best bang for the buck and what I currently use. The regular VLTOR car stock, not the club-foot.

I felt the magpul was overpriced and I don't believe it uses a standard buffer tube, so that is a drawback in case something happened like your stock took a round and broke, and you needed to slap on another stock real quick. It's also much heavier than the standard stock or the VLTOR, and that is a big deal for me. I want to have the goodies, but I don't want any added weight. A stock is supposed to be sturdy, standardized buffer tube (mil-spec), have a good cheek weld, possibly battery compartments, and be light. I feel the magpul goes overboard and it's shortcomings outweigh it's features. It adds more positions and length but other than that (for me, my opinion) it does nothing else but add weight and bulkiness.

- rem
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:06:27 AM EDT
[#29]
VLTOR CLUBFOOT
:good cheek weld
:good price (not 250+)
:not heavy
:has storage:
:durable
:it is modular and can be switched out w/ another color easy as pulling the lever
:multi. colors
:multi. sling att. points

usmc5593

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#30]
The are all good.  I prefer Magpul.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top