Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2005 4:40:15 PM EDT
I got the Yellow Tavern Spring Kit from Brawnells...
Spring Kit

I went to shoot the gun today to try the new goodies out; I was shooting bursts of full auto. It never dumped the mag...I would shoot a couple rounds and it would go full auto until I let the trigger go. Could I have a bad, or weak disconnector spring?

When I assembled the lower I put a thin coat of molydisulfide grease on the surfaces of the sear, disconnector and hammer. Could that be the problem?

-Derek

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#1]
shhh
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#2]
w00t!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
should not be saying that here, eyes are reading!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:10:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
should not be saying that here, eyes are reading!

Saying what? That my AR has a "problem"?

Mind you I use the term "problem" extremely loose because there is nothing better (except pie) than shooting full auto. However...I would like it to shoot the way that it is suppose to.

Damn it was fun while it lasted though!!

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Replace the hammer, trigger disconnect with different parts.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Just putting light springs in a stock semi AR won't make it go full auto..

You were bumping and you just didnt know it
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Just putting light springs in a stock semi AR won't make it go full auto..

You were bumping and you just didnt know it

Might have been I guess...I've never gotten the gun to do it (still a newbie). It felt exactly like full auto...cycled as fast as full auto does as well. It's just weird because I've never done that before.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:33:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Check your ammo for high primers, you may have had a slam fire...
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Make sure all of the pins are staying in their proper place.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely a disconnect problem... Could very well be the spring...

Disassemble the FCG and clean, lube then reinstall... After you get it put back together, check to see if the disconnect has good spring tension to it...

ETA: Make sure the disconnect spring isn't installed upside down...
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:37:29 PM EDT
[#11]

My AR shoots bursts of full auto

Now why doesn't that ever happen to me?

ETA: I wonder how many people are going to buy that kit after you posted this...
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

ETA: I wonder how many people are going to buy that kit after you posted this...

I think Brawnells should give me a %

The disconnect spring feels good. All the pins are installed correct (2 grooves toward the left side of the reciever).

When looking at the disconnector spring there is an end that has a slightly bigger diameter. This end is the end that goes down into the trigger right? If not, than I have it backwards...other than that everything is installed correct.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think an upside-down disconnector spring will convert your AR-15 into a machine gun...

Right?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't think an upside-down disconnector will convert your AR-15 into a machine gun...

Right?

Thats between you and me

I tore it down, and couldn't really find anything. All the springs feel tight, and the disconnector is grabbing the hammer as it comes back. I'll have to wait until the next range day to see what is going on. It only happened when I was double tapping...probably me just bump firing it and not knowing it.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#15]
opps...

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#16]
The ATF is watching you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:26:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't think an upside-down disconnector will convert your AR-15 into a machine gun...

Right?

Thats between you and me

I tore it down, and couldn't really find anything. All the springs feel tight, and the disconnector is grabbing the hammer as it comes back. I'll have to wait until the next range day to see what is going on. It only happened when I was double tapping...probably me just bump firing it and not knowing it.

Or your shoe lace got rapped around the trigger right?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#18]
When you fire pull the trigger HARD and keep it to the rear with a firm hold and see if it happens.  If not, you are bumping... if so its the disconnector.

Also after it cycles and didnot go off release the trigger VERY slow and soft.  If it fires on release its the disconnector, if not its bumpfiring.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

........................................not me
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:13:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Do a fuction check. Make sure it is unloaded. Hold the trigger and pull the charging handle, after you let the charging handle back down and release the trigger you should hear an audible "thunk" noise as the disconnector lets the hammer go. Military manuals states it should be able to do this 5 times in a row.

FWIW when I first got my Bushmaster A2-20 it was doing this and I ended swapping every part of the FCG until I narrowed it down to the hammer, the surfaces where the hammer catches the trigger were very rough and uneven, replaced hammer and the problem went away. Could still be the disconnector as others have said.

ETA: I am assuming you have tried putting the stock springs back in........
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:13:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Do a fuction check. Make sure it is unloaded. Hold the trigger and pull the charging handle, after you let the charging handle back down and release the trigger you should hear an audible "thunk" noise as the disconnector lets the hammer go. Military manuals states it should be able to do this 5 times in a row.

FWIW when I first got my Bushmaster A2-20 it was doing this and I ended swapping every part of the FCG until I narrowed it down to the hammer, the surfaces where the hammer catches the trigger were very rough and uneven, replaced hammer and the problem went away. Could still be the disconnector as others have said.

Considering this post I would replace the hammer first ( or is it's just rough, stone it smooth ) and if that doesn't work, then try the disconnector.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#22]
The problem with your AR is the "timing" of the disconnector.  You need to do some work on your disco. E-mail for directions. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:33:23 AM EDT
[#23]
I knew the rumor was true!  All you have to do is change a couple of springs to make a AR15 in to a M16
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:14:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I did the check as you stated, and everything worked as advertised. I have not tried the stock springs yet as I haven't gotten back to the range. Good winter range days here in the interior of Alaska are far and few between.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:58:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You need to do some work on your disco.

Flair out that collar! Polish them platforms! And for crying out loud, grow some chest hair to go with them gold chains!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top