Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 12:40:13 PM EDT
Hi.  I was shooting my 16" ar at 100yds today and for some reson it was hitting to the right of the target by about 5 to 6".  So which way and how many clicks do I move the windage knob it to get it back on target?  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Before anyone gives you the answer, I would suggest you read your manual and learn about it.  

Its great to be able to come here, but somethings are worth KNOWING how to do yourself, not just getting told by some guy/ gal online how to do it.

Sighting it in is straight forward, you can also download a sight target made just for this.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#2]
You can also find the instuctions here.

www.ar15.com/content/guides/sightIn/
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I sighted in my AR today.  it took me 2 tries instead of one because my memory is failing in my young age...
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Stickman, ya I know that but it is sleeting out and there is no way I will be able to re sight it in in the next week so I just wanted a quick fix.  I have sighted in a few AR's and have instructions somewhere but can never recall which way is the way I want or how much.  So what is it guys?  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I would just leave it alone, if you need it for TEOTWAWKI then you at least know where POI is

All i m saying is,what good does it do to adjust your sights if you cant test them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 So what is it guys?  

Click on the [Information] button above & to the right.

Select Downloads & Manuals.

Select the -10 "Operators Manual for the M16A2".

Read the secion on zeroing as it will tell you how far each click will move the point of impact at 25M for a M16A2 (and if you look carefully in the front it should have the same values for the M4).

On the handle should be a marking showing which direction you turn to move the impact in the indicated direction (should you not have the manual handy).
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:18:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Stickman, ya I know that but it is sleeting out and there is no way I will be able to re sight it in in the next week so I just wanted a quick fix.  I have sighted in a few AR's and have instructions somewhere but can never recall which way is the way I want or how much.  So what is it guys?  

Do you have shoes?  Because when I was your age, we didn't have shoes, and a little thing like sleet wasn't going to stop us from sighting in our weapons....
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, how about this: I spent some time sighting my 16" in today, and I'm close.  I think I'm doing something wrong, so I'd like to run this past the group to see if I'm the part of the system that's at fault.

At 50 yards my point of impact is 1.5" left and about .75" low.  My sight picture is a "lollypop" with the center of the target (it's a small one, about 2.5" in diameter) firmly on top of the front sight post.  I'm using the long-range aperture.  My focus is on the front sight post, and as far as I can tell I have equal amounts of space on either side, and top to bottom.

I have noted that my trigger finger wraps around the trigger a little more than it should, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference; when I pay close attention to that, I don't see my groups moving substantially in any direction.

I'm using a benchrest front rest with a small saddle-shaped bag on it, and no rear rest.

Am I missing something in the above?  Do I need a better fromt rest, or a particular kind of rear rest?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Correct your windage and elevation if you think its the weapon.  If you are consistant, make the change, if not, get better and keep shooting, then make the adjustment.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ok, how about this: I spent some time sighting my 16" in today, and I'm close.  I think I'm doing something wrong, so I'd like to run this past the group to see if I'm the part of the system that's at fault.

At 50 yards my point of impact is 1.5" left and about .75" low.  My sight picture is a "lollypop" with the center of the target (it's a small one, about 2.5" in diameter) firmly on top of the front sight post.  I'm using the long-range aperture.  My focus is on the front sight post, and as far as I can tell I have equal amounts of space on either side, and top to bottom.

I have noted that my trigger finger wraps around the trigger a little more than it should, but it doesn't seem to make a big difference; when I pay close attention to that, I don't see my groups moving substantially in any direction.

I'm using a benchrest front rest with a small saddle-shaped bag on it, and no rear rest.

Am I missing something in the above?  Do I need a better fromt rest, or a particular kind of rear rest?

If you're using the lollypop sight picture then your rounds should be at the bottom of the target's circle not in the middle.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Correct your windage and elevation if you think its the weapon.  If you are consistant, make the change, if not, get better and keep shooting, then make the adjustment.

Gee, that means more time at the range.  Darn the luck!

Thanks Stick!  I'll hit the range again soon and see if either windage or elevation adjustments make a difference.  If not, I'll have to figure out what I need to adjust on me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Put a little less finger on the trigger before you make any adjustments.....
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey Stickman how do you know my age?  Your right, I am young and I do have shoes and I was shooting it in the sleet but I got cold so hence the post.    Oh wel, I guess I will just do it the hard way....Shoot, click....Shoot, click.  I will be more sure that way.    
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Hey Stickman how do you know my age?  Your right, I am young and I do have shoes and I was shooting it in the sleet but I got cold so hence the post.    Oh wel, I guess I will just do it the hard way....Shoot, click....Shoot, click.  I will be more sure that way.    

More importantly, you will get a better feel for your weapon.  Telling you the amount of clicks is cheating you, and I wouldn't do that.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're using the lollypop sight picture then your rounds should be at the bottom of the target's circle not in the middle.

Not necessarily.  If he wants to shoot targets, the POI should be on center of back with a 6 o'clock hold (aka lollypop sight picture).  To move the POI down to conicide with the top of the front sight, click down 3 MOA (assuming he used a std NRA target with a 6 MOA aiming black.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hi.  I was shooting my 16" ar at 100yds today and for some reson it was hitting to the right of the target by about 5 to 6".  So which way and how many clicks do I move the windage knob it to get it back on target?  

Turn windage knob to the left (counterclockwise) 12 clicks.  That will move the point of impact to the left 6 minutes of angle (6" at 100 yards, 12" at 200 yds, 18" at 300, etc.)
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
12 clicks on a 16" AR is just over 8 MOA

I missed that part.  I am a 20 incher.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top