Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 1:26:32 AM EDT
I found this picture in the AR-15 9mm Picture Thread and thought the red color of the Bushmaster logo on the receiver was pretty cool.

What can I use to color the logo on my receiver just like the one in the picture below?  I'd also like it to easily be removeable if I ever decide to get rid of the color.

Here is the picture:

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]
crayons from what I remember
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:47:08 AM EDT
[#2]
What he said. Cheap box of Crayolas. If you have a steady hand and the patience I've heard of people actually painting it in, but that seems painstaking and I would screw it up. The wax left from the crayons will wear away eventually, but at first you can see where you colored the "non engraved" area of the receiver.

If you do it and get tired of it, use Hoppes and q-tips and soak the wax real good it'll come off or use a toothpick it scrap it all out and no it won't melt off.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:49:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks a lot.

Does Break-Free CLP work well in getting it off?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:49:57 AM EDT
[#4]
lol you ricer.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:50:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
lol you ricer.

993 posted in this thread?  Where?  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:53:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks a lot.

Never tried it and I don't oil the outside of the gun with CLP since I use RIG grease, which does not remove it. It will wear away though. Entire lines of wax will fall out over time, I did a few times to mine and after a few days didn't like it. I just have the SAFE white and the FIRE red now.

Make sure the crayon keeps a blunt point and not get rounded, after you color a section smooth it with your finger so it presses into the groove, otherwise it just comes out. Especially on the head of the Bushmaster where it several small lines.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:55:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks a lot.

Never tried it and I don't oil the outside of the gun with CLP since I use RIG grease, which does not remove it. It will wear away though. Entire lines of wax will fall out over time, I did a few times to mine and after a few days didn't like it. I just have the SAFE white and the FIRE red now.

Make sure the crayon keeps a blunt point and not get rounded, after you color a section smooth it with your finger so it presses into the groove, otherwise it just comes out. Especially on the head of the Bushmaster where it several small lines.

Thanks a lot for the information.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:55:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
lol you ricer.

lol

Anyways, you could use those "China pens" too from your local craft and art shops.

I used it on my HK USP.  It didnt last 1 shooting session.  I guess since the slide moves too much for it to stay in place.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:59:10 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot for the information.

No problem. Hope you like it, it was appealing then got old fast. Longest it stay on any of them was the 20" for about a month and it looked like crap by the time the month was over with. It's a little bit of a pain in the ass to get off even using Hoppes.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:01:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
lol you ricer.

lol

Anyways, you could use those "China pens" too from your local craft and art shops.

I used it on my HK USP.  It didnt last 1 shooting session.  I guess since the slide moves too much for it to stay in place.

home.comcast.net/~a96hondaaccordex/hkdetail.jpg

That was my experience with handguns also. I figured there was enough heat transferring to the slide to melt it. Naturally the Ar receiver on the magwell flats does not get that hot.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:12:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Click here for the white lettering - "How to"

(Click the disclaimers)

Don't go overboard with it, and it looks pretty good

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:20:07 AM EDT
[#12]
You can use a paint in the same method. Just try to paint the letters or dab it in, then carefully wipe off the paint outside the letters. The trick is to not let the paint in the letters "wick" into the rag or let the rag get into the lettering and smearing it.

I have not done this in many years, so I don't remember which paint I used.

John
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:32:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I used testors enamel model paint.I covered the logo and let it dry for a couple minutes.Then I used a rag with paint thinner and wipe it off.The paint in the grooves stays.Use a black rag as white leaves behind lint on the anodized surface.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:41:23 AM EDT
[#14]
The only thing required to color in the lettering of your lower in is low self esteem

Just kidding of coarse, although I openly loath the idea of colored lettering on lowers.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Just bought some crayons from Wally World and tried to do it... the Bushmaster snake logo didn't turn out too well because it was hard to get the same density of red into each little crevice so even though the entire engraved logo was red, it just looked uneven.  I took some CLP and a toothbrush and got it all off since I didn't like the way it came out.

I did color the FIRE and SAFE engravings and those came out really well and look great, so I kept those.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just bought some crayons from Wally World and tried to do it... the Bushmaster snake logo didn't turn out too well because it was hard to get the same density of red into each little crevice so even though the entire engraved logo was red, it just looked uneven.  I took some CLP and a toothbrush and got it all off since I didn't like the way it came out.

I did color the FIRE and SAFE engravings and those came out really well and look great, so I kept those.

Heat your lower up in the oven for 15 minutes or so.  Get her about 150degrees I'd say.

Keep it on the cookie sheet and then just wipe the crayon over your bushy logo.

That should take.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:49:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heat your lower up in the oven for 15 minutes or so.  Get her about 150degrees I'd say.

Keep it on the cookie sheet and then just wipe the crayon over your bushy logo.

That should take.

Great idea.  Do I have to completely disassemble the lower before putting it in the oven (i.e. take out the trigger assembly and whanot) or can I just pop the whole thing in without disassembling anything?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:00:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy some cheap bright red spray paint . Shake it well and spray into the lid that came off the can until it puddles. Let some of the thinner in the paint evaporate off and when the paint inthe lid becomes thicker apply it to the roll stamp with a Q-tip. Let it dry for about ten minutes then wipe the area with a flat cloth saturated with xylene.(not too much or you'll wash out the paint that's down in the roll stamp) This will remove most of the excess outside of the stamp. when it has completely dried wipe it again w/xylene to remove the excess on the surface. To remove all the paint permanately (down the road or to start over again, use a nylon brissel brush and work in xylene liberally and it will all come off and take your gun back to it's original condition.. Also, most gun cleaners will remove the paint during cleaning if your not careful.. .... good luck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]
http://crarick.myftp.org/Picture%20Hosting/Picture%20004%20(Medium).jpg

Did that to my Beretta last summer with a white crayola crayon.  It's held up really well so far.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
crarick.myftp.org/Picture%20Hosting/Picture%20004%20(Medium).jpg

Did that to my Beretta last summer with a white crayola crayon.  It's held up really well so far.

Beautiful!

You should do it to the paragraph on the other side too .
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Great idea.  Do I have to completely disassemble the lower before putting it in the oven (i.e. take out the trigger assembly and whanot) or can I just pop the whole thing in without disassembling anything?

Thanks

Nope.  Just take the pistol grip off, careful not to loose the spring and detent for the selector.

Assuming you have a colaps. stock take that off too.  Just the plastic piece.  Also remove the buffer and spring.  

thatll do it

In case you have an A2 stock and dont feel like going through the anguish of removing one screw...Use your wife/girlfriend/life partners hair dryer and just heat the receiver to death.  That'll work too.  At least it'll help get the juices flowin'

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:09:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Accord, I've had that gun for 2 and a half years and that's the first time I noticed that lol.  Also did it to my RRA lower.  Looks pretty decent.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

Nope.  Just take the pistol grip off, careful not to loose the spring and detent for the selector.

Assuming you have a colaps. stock take that off too.  Just the plastic piece.  Also remove the buffer and spring.  

thatll do it

In case you have an A2 stock and dont feel like going through the anguish of removing one screw...Use your wife/girlfriend/life partners hair dryer and just heat the receiver to death.  That'll work too.  At least it'll help get the juices flowin'

Yup, I do have an A2 stock.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Not to insult your intelligence, but you know it only takes one screw, a huge flat blade screwdriver in the rear of the but stock to take it off then.  Its going to be soooooo cool once you've got it all colored in.  You'll either love it or hate it.  I personally think its over board, unless you've got the tickle switch and your going to color in "AUTO" too

MUST POST PICS
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Not to insult your intelligence, but you know it only takes one screw, a huge flat blade screwdriver in the rear of the but stock to take it off then.  Its going to be soooooo cool once you've got it all colored in.  You'll either love it or hate it.  I personally think its over board, unless you've got the tickle switch and your going to color in "AUTO" too

MUST POST PICS

I've only had my black rifle for a little over a week now... that's my excuse .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top