Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2006 8:30:13 PM EDT
Which is the better route to go for mag loading, Mag LULA or Stripper Clips??

Thanks for your input!

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:02:08 AM EDT
[#1]
LULA
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#2]
spend the money on more bullets
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#3]
After using a Lula for the last couple of years..........I vote for the Lula
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:16:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
LULA

+1 for the LULA
I have 2 AR LULA's and 2 AK LULA's
Now if they would just make a G3 LULA...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:26:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Get and use both.

ETA I have 2 LULAs one is the ARFCOM model.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:42:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:46:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the response everyone!!

I will go with the lula :-)

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#8]
.... and just for good measure ..... LULA!

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:20:58 AM EDT
[#9]
both
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:46:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I love LULA!  Seriously, the best money I've spent on a contraption!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:43:32 AM EDT
[#11]
The Lula is great if you just want to load one or two mags. It is probably the best tool to unload a mag (other than shooting).

Stripper clips are kind of a fun way to load. I like loading up about 20 stripper clips in 10-15 minutes, and then slamming them in the mags in about 1 minute. They are also fun to load quickly into a mag at the range. People around you will marvel at your prowess and how fast you can load a mag. For SHTF, I have a number of stripper clips loaded and placed in bandoleers.

If you like to play ninja soldier (like we all do), stripper clips are the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I use stripper clips and a loader made for a beta C-mag. I works great with standard mags and is VERY fast.

You can't beat a LULA for unloading mags though.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I use stripper clips and a loader made for a beta C-mag. I works great with standard mags and is VERY fast.

betaco.com/img/lcms10.jpg

just insert the mag in the mag well and pull the trigger
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#14]
It is easy to cut the hell out of the web of your hand with strippers.  I have seen me do it.  Sucks when you are trying to qualify, blood is slippery.

The LULA is one of those magical things that just plain works, and should have been invented a loooooong time ago
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the stripper clips. Cheap, effective, works every time. I find they are faster and easier if I use something other than my hand to work the rounds into the mag. Like the edge of the bench, if I am at the range. Or a branch, fence post, corner/edge of a wall, or what-have-you, in the field. I've never cut myself on one but see how you could. Using something other than your hand eliminates this possibility, as well as working better.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the LULA™ much better. These are some of its benefits:

To reduces weapon jams -

Double feeding in weapons often occur when using magazines with spreaded or worn-out lips. The LULA™ loader protects the magazine's lips because the rounds are loaded into the magazine below the feed lips, so they do not touch them at all ! Therefore, the lips stay intact !

Weapon jams often occur when magazines and rounds are dirty. A user having a LULA™ loader is more likely to clean the mag and rounds because no pain is involved unloading and reloading the rounds, and it's quicker. Laziness reduced.

To save time -

Quick and easy loading and unloading of magazines, especially when several magazines are involved, i.e. no accumulated pain.

5 sec. unloading 30 rounds, 35 sec. loading, painlessly !

Safe operation -

No improvised tools and methods are used to load and unload rounds - like hand-held rounds or screwdrivers. The LULA™ loader does it all, safely.

To protect the fingers -

Stripper clips often cause cuts and bruises, hard to get used to, and are virtually impossible to load with if dirty.

Bare finger loading is cumbersome, slow, tedious, and accumulates pain and bruises.
Using the LULA™ loader, there are no bruises, cuts or pinches. Hundreds of mags can be loaded/unloaded continuously, and quickly.

To save money -

Countless mags are destroyed by improvised loading/unloading tools and methods that cause wear and tear to the feed lips. Using the LULA™ loader, all those mags are saved, and so is the money required to replace those destroyed mags.

Guy Tal

maglula.com

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#17]
strippers are way faster. if you have the metal ones, use the beta mag stripper loader above. my favorite are a bunch of sets I got years ago, they have polymer strips and a polymer loader. Go to a tactical carbine class, the guys with the lulas will be working their butts off to get their mags loaded during the breaks, the stripper clip guys will be sitting around with full mags  - not to mentions, the bandoleers are made to hold stripper clips full of ammo, otherwise you have to carry around unopened boxes of ammo to use.

eta - but you do neea a lula for unloading mags!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:44:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Handloading is the best
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:22:55 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
strippers are way faster. if you have the metal ones, use the beta mag stripper loader above. my favorite are a bunch of sets I got years ago, they have polymer strips and a polymer loader. Go to a tactical carbine class, the guys with the lulas will be working their butts off to get their mags loaded during the breaks, the stripper clip guys will be sitting around with full mags  - not to mentions, the bandoleers are made to hold stripper clips full of ammo, otherwise you have to carry around unopened boxes of ammo to use.

OK, so during the course, the guys using LULAS are working their butts off loading magazines while the "stripper clip" gang were sitting on their butts?  

Then when and where did the "stripper clip" gang work their butts off loading all those stripper clips?

They didn't load themselves. When conducting a process analysis, one must look at the entire process, including those efforts behind the scenes or those actions previously completed that lead up to the next stage without which the next stage would require additional action.  

So the LULA/stripper clip issue comes down to, starting with ammo in is original conainer, which is the faster method of loading magazines? IMHO, Stripper clips require "double handling" each round, once from the box/container to the stripper clip and again from the stripper clip the the magazine. Technically, while not physically touching each round, it IS being handled and, therefore, part of the process).

The LULA only requires single handling, from the box/container to the magazine.

Now if you want to me for ignoring the fact that SOME ammo does come preloaded in clips, go ahead, but MOST of the ammo everyone brags about buying (Q3131, Q3131A, M193, etc.) does not come that way.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:21:47 AM EDT
[#20]
You are right that you must preload the clips - but some tactical courses (not to mention some situations) don't give you the time to open boxes and load with a lula - If you are at the range, have the time, and only want to handle/deal with the ammo once, the lula is fine. Also, if you are a survivalist type (I don't qualify) , you can fit 100 rounds of ammo in a stripper clip holder/bandoleer , depending on the size. This is much easeir than carrying around 5 boxes of unopened ammo - I guess a bunch of pre loaded mags would be even better
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:26:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I love my LULA!

Greatest thing since sliced bread.

Oh wait... Since AR's!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You are right that you must preload the clips - but some tactical courses (not to mention some situations) don't give you the time to open boxes and load with a lula - If you are at the range, have the time, and only want to handle/deal with the ammo once, the lula is fine. Also, if you are a survivalist type (I don't qualify) , you can fit 100 rounds of ammo in a stripper clip holder/bandoleer , depending on the size. This is much easeir than carrying around 5 boxes of unopened ammo - I guess a bunch of pre loaded mags would be even better

My "tactical" training came from OJT events. I carried as much ammo for my 1911 as I could and still keep my pants up.  My LEO days were over almost before the AR was born, but I did shoot M1 Carbines that, if I recall correctly, had a stripper clip recess cut out on the receiver and the magazine could be reloaded from the clips while still seated in the weapon.  Same for the M14.  However, in order to efficiently reload AR mags from stripper clips, an adapter/guide is still required and that adds one more piece of gear that has to be kept track of.  Now, I am the first to admit that I have never used or tried to reload an AR mag from a stripper clip with or without the guide so I can't comment on how well it works.  But, I can only imagine doing such without the adapter/guide would be maybe even worse than one round at a time.  Yes, the LULA still has to be kept track of also, but if I lose it, the worst that I have to do is load one round at a time out of the box and not have to remove them from the stripper clip first.

Hey, you say eeether, I say eyether. Personally, I say just carry enough damn mags.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Stripper clips are great for preperations/SHTF, the LULA is great for ranges and home loading.  A loaded stripper clip loads a mag a lot faster than a LULA, and you can prep them beforehand.  So, for the range I use the LULA, in a SHTF situation I'd prefer the stripper clips and a loader.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Strippers. You can load a 30 round mag in less than 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Stripper clips are great for preperations/SHTF, the LULA is great for ranges and home loading.  A loaded stripper clip loads a mag a lot faster than a LULA, and you can prep them beforehand.  So, for the range I use the LULA, in a SHTF situation I'd prefer the stripper clips and a loader.

Quoted:

I know what you are saying, but you haven't answered my question. And I repeat that I honestly don't know, but can you do it without the stripper clip adapter?

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know what you are saying, but you haven't answered my question. And I repeat that I honestly don't know, but can you do it without the stripper clip adapter?

And what was your question?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
And I repeat that I honestly don't know, but can you do it without the stripper clip adapter?
hr

Unfortunately, no, you cannot.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I love LULA!  Seriously, the best money I've spent on a contraption!

Me too, and I haven't seen the word "contraption" used in years.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I have both the Beta C mag stripper loader and a LULA... I got the LULA because having to load ammo onto stripper clips got annoying after the first 1500 rounds. Now, if I get ammo in a box, I LULA it... otherwise, I use the Beta loader. Finding ammo already on stripper clips is a rare thing for me, too. So, LULA gets my vote if I could have only one, and it unloads mags fast, too. One more thing... if I'm hiking around and plinking, it seems easier for me to bring extra boxed ammo and the LULA as they're more compact.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:34:25 PM EDT
[#30]
LULA.

I held off on buying one for awhile becuase I can load mags faster without it, but I won one in the team member drawing a couple months ago.

It really saves my fingers and I think it's handy.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#31]
LULA

Hands down. Stripper clips are a pain to refill, aren't as fast as you'd think, require the POS adapter, they bend, they break, and cut your hand even if you are careful. The claim of 30 seconds to fill a mag with a LULA isn't an exaggeration. Only thing faster is the MAGLULA but its a small fortune too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#32]
One other point on the LULA, try UNLOADING a 30 round mag with your thumbs and see if you want to do more of them!  May not be a concern for stripper clip fans, but if those mags are already loaded and you want to change from Q3131 to BH 77gr OTM or any another load for whatever reason, you gotta have an empty mag or two.

I did three 30 rd mags with my thumbs and my poor delicate thumbs were bleeding under the nails long before I was done.  I'm not sure when I'll be able to play the piano.  Of course, I didn't play it before I unloaded the mags, but...

It's been fun guys, but I think we have pretty well hit the end of this thread.
Bye, yall!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:21:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Stripper clips do one thing really well...FAST reloads if you already have them set up and ready.

For all other purposes, LULAs rock. Now at Practical Rifle guys tend to call them "pussy loaders" but then after each stage I just load up my mags again with no ill effects. Perfect for range use.

Oh, and I also use the LULA for the Beta C-Mag as well. Works like a champ (although a pain to get off with the drum in the way).
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:00:42 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
One other point on the LULA, try UNLOADING a 30 round mag with your thumbs and see if you want to do more of them!

You don't unload mags with your thumbs. You take a spare round, and push with the tip of the bullet against the next-to-top cartridge in the mag. As you push it further into the mag, the pressure of the spring is eased against the top cartridge, and it falls out -- assuming you have used what passes for brains and hold the magazine so that it can. I can empty a mag just about -- not quite but just about -- as quickly as any LULA, for free. Usually, I am not in a big rush to empty mags anyway (unless I am using the preferred method), but it can be done, it can be done quickly, and your poor widdle thumbs won't hurt a bit.

So, stripper clips work great, it's no harder to keep up with the "spoon" than any of the other gear we cart around, and you can empty a mag pretty darn quick with a spare round.

Most of us are gear-heads, so if you love your LULA, that's fine with me. You don't need any reasons. If there weren't a bunch of people who feel the same way, LULAs wouldn't be flying off the shelves the way they are. Just don't argue that it's better. It's not. It's a piece of gear that you like. Good enough.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:30:12 PM EDT
[#35]
How is the LULA used to UNLOAD mags??  

TIA--VT
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:51:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

betaco.com/img/lcms10.jpg

just insert the mag in the mag well and pull the trigger

THE BETA COMPANY WILL NOT SHIP TO NEW YORK...even a legal product like the 10-shot stripper clip loader. %#&X$#!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#37]

Maglula benchloader.

I used one down at Blackwater for a 3-day carbine class.

It was very popular.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Even better than using the tip of the first round, is using the rim.  I'm always afraid using the tip may loosen or dislodge the bullet from the case.  Either way, I agree, its pretty fast, cheap, and thats how I've been doing it since Basic Training 23 years ago!  What can I say.....I'm old school....I prefer to use stripper clips too, and am too cheap to buy a LULA!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:54:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Not all ammunition comes on stripper clips, in fact most doesn't. Even M855 nowadays is rare to find on stripper clips. most XM193 doesn't come on stripper clips either.

Certainly stripper clip loading is faster, but the LULA works great (and quickly) for those without surplus-style ammo that comes on stripper clips. I am not about to load ammo onto stripper clips for use later. That would be rediculous.

- rem

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/botach_1756_92018

Maglula benchloader.

It was very popular.

+1

However...

Back to the original question:

For range use/firearms class, I'd say get a LuLa...

For SHTF/Oh-my-God-Iam-In-a-firefight!, use stripper clips.

Which situation do you think you will most likely find yourself?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Maglula benchloader.

It was very popular.

I just looked up the price on one of those...$400!!!
Was it a typo?  Or do they relly cost that much!?

Seems like too simple of a design for that kind of price...maybe I'm wrong though, I dunno...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Maglula benchloader.

It was very popular.

I cloned one of those out of wood.  It cost me about $15 + 4 hours tinkering around with a jigsaw and a router.  It works like a champ.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Here's a pic of it:

To answer the orginal question, before I cloned the benchtop loader, I used a LULA at home.  I never load mags at the range, I make sure I take more than enough loaded mags.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Here's a pic of it:
www.skinwagon.com/magloader.jpg

To answer the orginal question, before I cloned the benchtop loader, I used a LULA at home.  I never load mags at the range, I make sure I take more than enough loaded mags.

I was thinking about doing something similar to that......hmmmm

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:26:22 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maglula benchloader.

It was very popular.

I just looked up the price on one of those...$400!!!
Was it a typo?  Or do they relly cost that much!?

Seems like too simple of a design for that kind of price...maybe I'm wrong though, I dunno...

I didn't pay that much.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Here's a pic of it:
www.skinwagon.com/magloader.jpg

Griz,

Great JOB on your clone! Do you have pictures of the build process? Or any additional pictures of it?

Thanks!

-WuMagic
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Griz,

Great JOB on your clone! Do you have pictures of the build process? Or any additional pictures of it?

Thanks!

-WuMagic

Didn't mean to hijack this thread.  I answered you in a new thread: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=264061
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top