Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 8:33:19 AM EDT
I see a lot of people have these, but I have not heard of any feedback.  What does everyone think of these?  I currently have an ergo-grip on my lower.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I got one of the pre-production models with the smooth ports to place grip tape in. I have used the A2 & the ergo and I like this much better. The swappable backstraps are great & the 3M tape I used gives just the right amount of tack and being able to carry 2 AA's in the handle for my eotech is icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one and like it quite a bit.  It fills my hand much better than the A2 style grip.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the preproduction version as well. For an all purpose grip it is my favorite.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I currently have an ergo-grip on my lower.  

I have nothing against the ergo-grip and have one on my varmint gun. I like the MIAD better on my shorter, lighter ARs though. Try one.....you'll like it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#5]
There had been a lot of threads about the MIAD here before and most users like them including me.

I had a pre-production grip last summer and I had it exchanged by the Magpul exchange program with the better textured production model.

The grip that I got used to was the A1 which was on my first AR SP-1 and the MIAD could be configured like it by using the smooth front strap, but it's better than the A1 grip because the back strap could be changed to the size of the user's hand.

I like the grip a lot that I have three of them on my weapons.

Here's a picture of my Colt 6721 tactical carbine with LMT 16" M4 upper, KAC M4 RAS and Vltor CAR Modstock.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Do a search for MIAD. Lots of feedback.

I have them mounted on both my working guns. I really like them....

And Stick did the K9 endurance test with one of his.....
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:16:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Just curious: What's the best way to get one palmswell off and another on?

I was testing them out to see which one fit my hand best and can't get it off now. It's not mounted to the rifle yet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:26:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was testing them out to see which one fit my hand best and can't get it off now. It's not mounted to the rifle yet.

The grooves the straps run on are tapered so they fit very tight at the final part of install. Once you move the strap it starts to loosen up.

To remove push the latch at the base of the back strap towards the rear. and push the top of the strap down on a hard surface (the backstrap slides downwards). This shoud start the strap moving.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's one thing I don't like about them too much.  They are bitch when it comes to changing the back straps, front straps, and the core.  These pieces fit very, very tightly together, too tightly IMO.  The front straps and back straps don't bother me too much since I figure changing them won't happen often, or at all, but the core bothers me.  I can't even get it out without using tools.  But I suppose tight as hell is better than falling apart.    I do like the grip design though.      
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Agreed on all points.

There are huge threads where the MIAD is discussed.  I use them on my work and trianing weapons, and   I seem to recall my pup getting ahold of one....

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#12]
What I want to know is will the Coyote colored version of the MIAD color match the SOCOM Flat Dark Earth PRS I just got on my rifle? Or is Magpul going to offer a MIAD is SOCOM FDE?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's one thing I don't like about them too much.  They are bitch when it comes to changing the back straps, front straps, and the core.  These pieces fit very, very tightly together, too tightly IMO.  The front straps and back straps don't bother me too much since I figure changing them won't happen often, or at all, but the core bothers me.  I can't even get it out without using tools.  But I suppose tight as hell is better than falling apart.    I do like the grip design though.      

I'm glad they fit tight once you get them together. I will likely not change them again once I make the final selection.

But getting to that point... Well, that's the hard part!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:44:34 AM EDT
[#14]
I Love My MIAD Grip.

Nathan
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#15]
That's funny Stickman! Pup approved!  

I really like mine. I don't see me using any other grip on future builds.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one and I like the feel of it although, I would have to agree with others in saying that the fit of the modular pieces was WAY too tight. I had to sand them to fit.

The polymer also seems brittle IMO.

I found this in another thread HERE:
http://www.selfdefenseforums.com/images/miad1.jpg
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#17]
What do you think the A2 would have done under the same conditions......  
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:11:32 PM EDT
[#18]
An A2 grip may fare better, by virtue of its thicker wall since it does not need to accomodate an internal storage.  It also appears the A2 grip is made of slightly software material.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:26:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Who cares about the grip, when you lost your buffer tube.  The weapon is toast.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have one and I like the feel of it although, I would have to agree with others in saying that the fit of the modular pieces was WAY too tight. I had to sand them to fit.

The polymer also seems brittle IMO.

I found this in another thread HERE:
www.selfdefenseforums.com/images/miad1.jpg

That's because that guy threw his rifle. What a fucking moron. It's one thing to use your rifle hard, and another thing to do dumb shit like that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
It also appears the A2 grip is made of slightly software material.

Brother you have got to stop posting from work.... its getting in the way of your gun talk
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed on all points.

There are huge threads where the MIAD is discussed.  I use them on my work and trianing weapons, and   I seem to recall my pup getting ahold of one....

img221.imageshack.us/img221/4156/dogmiadone5cv.jpg

img221.imageshack.us/img221/8346/dogmiadtwo2lz.jpg

Hence the K9 endurance test......
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I love mine. I got one to see how it felt. Reminds me of my 1911 Have remember not to try inserting a mag. If you got big hands they are the way to go. Picked up 2 more.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:08:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It also appears the A2 grip is made of slightly software material.

Brother you have got to stop posting from work.... its getting in the way of your gun talk

hehehe sorry about that

While I have no knowledge whether throwing one's rifle high in the air to see how it fares when it lands is a valid testing method, I recall photoman did this to test the SPOT Aimpont style red dot, that the MIAD broke was unintentional.  I think a 6ft drop onto concrete would be more realistic for the scope and MIAD.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:27:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Brown Santa just dropped off my furniture. CavArms stock and handguards, MIAD grip kit. I'm pleased with the color match and the MIAD feels wider than my Ergo which is a good thing. Getting that roll pin in the backstrap was a bitch but I'd rather have it nice and tight than too loose. Hmm. Yeah. That's sort of a universal rule I guess.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I might have to try one.  It is approved by Stick.   And his dog....

TS
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:36:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks guys, I might just have to buy one now.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top