Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2006 6:59:10 AM EDT
I have been contemplating the following scenario for quite some time, and it could be that I suffer from the "BMW VS Honda syndrome" but here goes...  I have a choice between 2 dpms rifles (classic 16 and the 20" classic) or 1 colt mt6400... now in essence two is always better than one, what would you do? Price $1400
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:01:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the two...

Save later for a Colt if you "really" want it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:01:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you kidding? Get the two.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Get two.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:06:40 AM EDT
[#5]
since its dpms or colt
go with the colt
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#6]
BUY THE TWO RIFLES. HOLY SHIT, MAN BUY THE TWO!!!!!!! DON'T WAIT, GET OFF YOUR ASS AND GET OUT TO BUY THE 2 AR'S NOW!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!

Got it?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#7]
2 it is........................
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Since you're talking about DPMS and Colt, I will have to agree with new-arguy and go with the Colt.

However, I have to ask the question - why are you limiting yourself to those 2 brands?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Since you're talking about DPMS and Colt, I will have to agree with new-arguy and go with the Colt.

However, I have to ask the question - why are you limiting yourself to those 2 brands?

+1
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Colt all the way................it's that simple You won't regret owning a Colt......
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#11]
two diffent manufacturer with two different kind of products...

I would get the...

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:40:49 AM EDT
[#12]
there are plenty of different brands i could think of that i would pick over dpms
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I have never had a single problem with any of my DPMS's, but I would get the Colt. Head and shoulders above them all.

Stay away from Bushmaster, unless you like canted FSB's that will not zero and shoddy Customer Service. I shoulda gotten another Colt and not the Shitmaster..er..Bushmaster.

* Note to the Bushmaster Brainwashed members-
This in from my experiance only, YMMV.

Signed a Colt Kool-aid lover!

new-arguy..My KIA Sorento is 100 times better than the shit that Ford, GM, Dodge, ect is making right now..
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:00:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Other than this place, which is biased against DPMS, I think you will find most other people like them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:00:43 AM EDT
[#16]
i have 7 bushmaster rifles/bbls and not one had a canted fsb nor have the given me any problems
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Ohhh Yeahhh!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i have 7 bushmaster rifles/bbls and not one had a canted fsb nor have the given me any problems

Wanna trade?

Seriously though, I'm thinking of parting out my Shitmaster and using the barrel for a boat anchor, in my John Boat.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:26:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wanna trade?

Seriously though, I'm thinking of parting out my Shitmaster and using the barrel for a boat anchor, in my John Boat.

i'd give about $100 for the whole thing since its been neglected and such a piece of shit
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'll continue to go against the tide, but I'd rather have one very nice AR than two pretty good (or maybe even not so good) AR's. But it would really depend on what your needs are. I've seen AR's from about every manufacturer have a problem, but more often than not, when some one has a problem, the first thing I see is DPMS, or some other similarly rated company.

More often than not, the first things I see when someone has a problem is a parts gun, followed by handloads.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll continue to go against the tide, but I'd rather have one very nice AR than two pretty good (or maybe even not so good) AR's. But it would really depend on what your needs are. I've seen AR's from about every manufacturer have a problem, but more often than not, when some one has a problem, the first thing I see is DPMS, or some other similarly rated company.

More often than not, the first things I see when someone has a problem is a parts gun, followed by handloads.

i'd trust my mutt builds over any factory assembled rifle anyday.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:42:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wanna trade?

i'd give about $100 for the whole thing since its been neglected and such a piece of shit

Damn you found my secret...I don't take care of my guns..

And yes...I also trust my builds over anything a factory produces..
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#23]
As a new guy, it amazes me how there are so many different opinions about so many different makes... its almost mind boggling!

Anyway, here is my take on 2 vs. 1:

If you have two, and one goes down, you STILL have one. If you have one and it goes down then you have NONE. See my logic?

By the way, I have a new DPMS M4gery and so far I love it.

E
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:42:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Get the DPMS. I have a DPMS m4 that I abuse to death and take to carbine classes just to prove a point. Not chrome lined, ugly BCG, handguards that stink of plastic and smoke like hell.

After 10k+ rounds I havent had any problems that wasnt fixed by using better ammo
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
As a new guy, it amazes me how there are so many different opinions about so many different makes... its almost mind boggling!

Anyway, here is my take on 2 vs. 1:

If you have two, and one goes down, you STILL have one. If you have one and it goes down then you have NONE. See my logic?

By the way, I have a new DPMS M4gery and so far I love it.

E

but if the two are sure to go down before the one what do you have then?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#26]
The Colt 6400 is a civilian Colt, it has a large front take down pin, large hammer and large trigger pins.  It has a block.  Yeah, it has colt stamped on it, if you want to pay an extra $100.00 for each letter in C. O. L. T. go ahead and buy a non milspec rifle from a company that doesn't have any respect for civilians.  Or you could get the two DPMS which are every bit as good as a Colt and are Mil Spec.  (Neither are full auto or 3 rd burst, so nither is truely Mil-Spec.)  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The Colt 6400 is a civilian Colt, it has a large front take down pin, large hammer and large trigger pins.  It has a block.  Yeah, it has colt stamped on it, if you want to pay an extra $100.00 for each letter in C. O. L. T. go ahead and buy a non milspec rifle from a company that doesn't have any respect for civilians.  Or you could get the two DPMS which are every bit as good as a Colt and are Mil Spec.  (Neither are full auto or 3 rd burst, so nither is truely Mil-Spec.)  

what about all the colts that are not "civilian" models? they have std parts and anything is better than dpms right?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what about all the colts that are not "civilian" models? they have std parts and anything is better than dpms right?

Not even close in my humble opinion.  

terrydavis hits quite a few nails right on the head
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not even close in my humble opinion.  

terrydavis hits quite a few nails right on the head

there are different models of colt and i do agree colt is a crap comp for doing the things they do to civilians but there are plenty of better options than either.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:04:20 AM EDT
[#30]
oh and ibtl, my first this has become a dpms bashing thread and now about to turn into a dpms & colt bashing thread
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:10:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

AFAIK the have the small one, milspec
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:17:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Seeing how there are so many good AR manufacturers out there now, I would not plunk down that amount of cash for a Colt. That's easy for me to say because I have three Colt ARs, but I wanted an M4gery and there was no way I was going to pay the price for a Colt 6920 so I decided to get a Stag. Granted, I don't know how well it functions because I only have the lower and the Big Brown Truck has yet to deliver my upper. With the money I saved by going that route I still had enough left to get an EOTech, and even with that it was still cheaper than what some are asking for NIB Colts.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:20:45 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Seeing how there are so many good AR manufacturers out there now, I would not plunk down that amount of cash for a Colt. That's easy for me to say because I have three Colt ARs, but I wanted an M4gery and there was no way I was going to pay the price for a Colt 6920 so I decided to get a Stag. Granted, I don't know how well it functions because I only have the lower and the Big Brown Truck has yet to deliver my upper. With the money I saved by going that route I still had enough left to get an EOTech, and even with that it was still cheaper than what some are asking for NIB Colts.

+1

or hell, build your own
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Have you even considered other brands? Right now you arep icking from two extreme ends. Colt, which in my opinion, is a great gun, but costs more than it should. And DPMS, which is not such a great gun, which reflects in its cheap price. There's a lot of other guns out there that will offer you more more value for your money. Armalite, Bushmaster, Rock River... all good stuff.

And seriously, think about building your own. You can easily spend less than $1400 on two home builds that will be far (far x2) better quality than DPMS.

DPMS is every bit as good as Armalte, Bushmaster, Colt or Rock River Arms.  I have had nothing buy great experiences with them.  I am drawing from a pool of experience of over 1,000 rifles and even more lowers, uppers, lower parts kits and complete rifle kits.  And while I am not bashing Busmaster or RRA I have had far more problems with them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:10:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Have you even considered other brands? Right now you arep icking from two extreme ends. Colt, which in my opinion, is a great gun, but costs more than it should. And DPMS, which is not such a great gun, which reflects in its cheap price. There's a lot of other guns out there that will offer you more more value for your money. Armalite, Bushmaster, Rock River... all good stuff.

And seriously, think about building your own. You can easily spend less than $1400 on two home builds that will be far (far x2) better quality than DPMS.

DPMS is every bit as good as Armalte, Bushmaster, Colt or Rock River Arms.  I have had nothing buy great experiences with them.  I am drawing from a pool of experience of over 1,000 rifles and even more lowers, uppers, lower parts kits and complete rifle kits.  And while I am not bashing Busmaster or RRA I have had far more problems with them.

Your experience is far different from mine then. And most others who have had the opportunity to shoot and use a lot of rifles.

You have personally spoken with "most" others, this must be some astronomical number.  Yes, my experience is different and it has been a very positive experience.  If I have read your post correctly and I haven't been keeping count by any means, you have several handfulls of first and second hand experiences.  I have had over 1,000 positive experiences.  I will stand behind every statement I make and if I was so inclined can furnish verifiable serial numbers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:23:36 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your experience is far different from mine then. And most others who have had the opportunity to shoot and use a lot of rifles.

I'm with Terry on this one...I have nothing but excellent service outa my DPMS guns and parts. I have never had to return anything or repair anything.

My DPMS's far exceed the POS Bushamster I have in the safe, the one that has been a cluster fuck from the get-go.

After tens of thousands of rounds only 2 brands have been trouble free-DPMS and Colt..

Until they fail me, I will continue to use them and defend them from the bashers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:49:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

selling them is one thing actually using them is another. you could have sold to a thousand people who just have the ar to showoff and put a few rounds through it here and there. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

selling them is one thing actually using them is another. you could have sold to a thousand people who just have the ar to showoff and put a few rounds through it here and there.

I am a full-time gunsmith, I service what I sell, I try to build relationships with my customers.  I see these people frequently.  I ask them about their rifle, or they come by and thank me for selling them a great rifle.  So, yeah I'm sticking to my statement, all of them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:55:01 AM EDT
[#42]
i own dpms lowers and those are great.
just wouldnt own any other part of it. really shoddy machining and tolerances.

from personal experiences
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I must be another exception to the "rule," then.

I currently own 25 ARs, about half "factory rifles" and about half my own builds.  Four of those are DPMS (2 factory guns, 2 builds using all-DPMS parts).  Thousands of rounds, no problems after break-in (I did have one factory rifle that took longer to break-in & run 100% than most of my ARs, but now it shoots great and is one of my favorites).  YMMV, of course.

As to the original question, owning more than one of both brands I would take two DPMS rifles over one Colt rifle, no hesitation.  Again, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:00:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#45]
The MT6400C has a standard front pivot pin, does not have a pinned in auto sear block, does have over sized trigger/hammer pin holes, and $1,400 is WAY to much money for one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
The MT6400C has a standard front pivot pin, does not have a pinned in auto sear block, does have over sized trigger/hammer pin holes, and $1,400 is WAY to much money for one.

That's just what I was thinking.

If you think a single plain old AR at $1400 is a deal, you're crazy.

That said, if it's one or the other in this situation, I'd flip a coin.

1 high quality, 2 good quality, take your pick.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#47]
lets try it this way.

You're going to run across country, on foot, Your life may depend on finishing this,

Are you gonna go to payless and get a pair of "joe anybody" shoes made from who really knows what,
Or are you going to go with a more recognized brand of running shoes, one that has been around for years and has had years and years of research and development experience to develop the best product possible.

I'm going with experience

none of that translates to DPMS being a bad product, it is'nt bad, but, it certianly is'nt "The Best"

I'd go for one to bet my life on, I'd say if you have never had a problem with a rifle then you have'nt shot it enough, they all have problems,
Colt has less
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:25:01 PM EDT
[#48]
nike vs. prowings

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
lets try it this way.

You're going to run across country, on foot, Your life may depend on finishing this,

Are you gonna go to payless and get a pair of "joe anybody" shoes made from who really knows what,
Or are you going to go with a more recognized brand of running shoes, one that has been around for years and has had years and years of research and development experience to develop the best product possible.

I'm going with experience

none of that translates to DPMS being a bad product, it is'nt bad, but, it certianly is'nt "The Best"

I'd go for one to bet my life on, I'd say if you have never had a problem with a rifle then you have'nt shot it enough, they all have problems,
Colt has less

Both of which are made at the same sweatshop in some 3rd world Sh!thole.

I have a DPMS and have nothing but good experiences with it.  I love a few people have bad experiences and everyone rights off the product.   That makes me feel good when I read people having trouble with Colts, bushies, or LMTs and everyone rushes to their defense as if they can do no wrong.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
two diffent manufacturer with two different kind of products...

I would get the...
www.heritagefirearms.com/images/Colt_Logo.gif

MEMBERS OF THE CULT UNITE!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top