BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/31/2006 7:19:54 PM EDT
I just wanted to drop everyone a note and let them see the quality qork that Les Baer had done for me.  I called them, seven (7) months ago, and gave them
the specs for the gun I wanted and this is what I got in the mail the other day.

I am not very good at taking pictures, so they dont do the gun any justice.  This thing shoots 1/4" MOA at 100 yards out of the box!

http://robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/1.jpg
Les Baer Custom Sniper w/ 20" barrel

http://robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/2.jpg
MagPul Industries Precision Rifle Stock - The Les Baer came with another standard looking A2 stock, so I ordered this one a few months
ago and it came in just before the rifle did.  I just switched them out.  It is adjustable for "length of Pull" and "Cheek Height".

http://robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/3.jpg
You can see by the Bolt Carrier that every inch of this thing is custom.  The Bolt Carrier not only looks great, but the action is the
smoothest I have ever seen.

http://robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/5.jpg
This picture shows the Leupold 8.5-25x30 scope that is on the gun.  Great performance out of it also.

http://robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/8.jpg
Another view of the receivers and scope (with caps off).

http://robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/9.jpg
Another close up look at the Magpul Precision Rifle Stock.  Worth every penny.

http://robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/10.jpg
One last picture ...

By the way, this one has a Chip McCormick single stage trigger installed, not the Jewell Two-Stage that comes with the other Les Baer rifles.

Let me know what you think of my new toy.  I hardily reccomend Les Baer to anyone wanting to have a custom 5.56mm sniper rifle / target rifle made.

Thanks,

rpd5127
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Post a range report!

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:44:44 PM EDT
[#2]
SUPER SWEET that is a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Indeed a very nice looking rig, but 7 months for an AR build?  That's just rediculous.

Regardless....good luck with it.  What barrel did they use?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#4]
he makes everyting in house including his barrels are custom les baer made. That is a sweat rifle, I know you will have a blast shooting it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#5]
A couple of questions:
1) I thought that Young MFG made the bolt carrier for LBC.

2) Is the color of the upper and lower receiver that far off, or is it meant to look like that.

3) Standard aluminum FF tube.

I've heard a lot of talk about the LBC guns, but it seems like a lot of money for a rifle that doesn't look like anything special.  But, the proofs in the shooting, so how about some pics of those 1/4" groups.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#6]
All that money and some POS aluminum tube?

FUCK THAT.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:25:28 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

FUCK THAT.

Thank you for your input.

Nice looking rifle! What ammo are you planing on using?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
That looks great. I have been thinking of doing away with my Bushmaster varminter for one of those.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:08:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

FUCK THAT.

ya im sure he was going for that  the uber tactical look you airsofters yearn for.   I think he just wants reliability and the tube is working just fine for its inteneded/owners purpose.  dont you??

Good looking rifle!! just ignore the poser airsofters ignorance
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:29:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

FUCK THAT.

ya im sure he was going for that  the uber tactical look you airsofters yearn for.   I think he just wants reliability and the tube is working just fine for its inteneded/owners purpose.  dont you??

Good looking rifle!! just ignore the poser airsofters ignorance

My guns aren't airsoft buddy

I just merely pointed out that his really expensive AR-15 came with a cheap free-float tube. I didn't say that the tube wouldn't be good enough for his applications.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:38:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice Rifle !

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:25:33 AM EDT
[#12]
You know...it is amazing some of the crap comments that are posted on this Forum.  Some of you guys need to get a life, or a girlfriend or something.  I don't know what he paid for his Les Baer....and I am gonna check, but if it really shoots 1/4" groups...that is amazing.  My bolt guns in .222 and .223 will only do that on occasion.

Nice rifle and I really like the stock.  Jeff
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:18:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice AR!!!

LBC makes some really nice ARs....don't get discouraged with your purchase as most of the people hear just don't like paying for such a high dollar AR when they can get it cheaper here on the EE.

They (the ) do the same thing with Colt.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:04:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Post a range report!

I took it to the range on Monday (01/30/06).  I only fired 20 rounds through her on the first go.
This was a zeroing run, and not much more.

Time: 4:00pm
Weather: Clear
Temp: 71
Wind: 1-2mph (right to left)

Most groups 1/4", others just under 1/2".
That is out of the box, with no practice on this gun.  
I think it will be consistant 1/4" groups once I get used to it.

The functioning of the weapon was the best I have ever seen or felt.
Not one problem with any jaming or anything else.

I will be taking it out again here in a few minutes for about 60 rounds.

Thanks,

rpd5127

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:07:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

What barrel did they use?

The barrell is also custom made by Les Baer.

Thanks,

rpd5127
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

A couple of questions:
1) I thought that Young MFG made the bolt carrier for LBC.

2) Is the color of the upper and lower receiver that far off, or is it meant to look like that.

3) Standard aluminum FF tube.

Question 1: The Bolt Carrier, bolt, firing pin, ect.. is made by Les Baer.  Thats what they told me when I ordered it.

Question 2: The finsish is different.  I ordered it like that.  Some don't like it, some do.  Just personal preferance.  The whole gun is going to be camo painted anyway.

Question 3: Aluminum tube, but dont know if it standard.

Thanks,

rpd5127
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:18:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Is your bipod mounted on the gas block or is there some attachment I can't see in the picture securing it to the FF tube? Curious because I would like an alternative to drilling my FF tube to accept a bipod.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#18]
It is connected to a quick-connect mount which is attached to the FF Tube.  
The bi-pod is a Vera-Pod.

Here is a better pic of it.

http://www.lesbaer.com/ar223pts/vpodnew.jpg

Thanks,

rpd5127
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:27:17 AM EDT
[#19]
i had a jtdistributing varmint kit that shot 1/4" groups all day long with the right ammo.
didnt take but a week to get it in.

also mine has a cmc trigger which needs captured pins since its all enclosed and there is nothing to hold std pins from falling out. yours doesnt look like they are catured.

what did you pay for that thing? hope you didnt pay too much

sorry for sounding like such an a$$hole but i think you should have done some homework before jumping into something like that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:42:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I don't have to go to the LB website to know that you've got a bundle tied up in that rifle and scope and it certainly isn't what I'd put together ( I'm a High Power competitor and it's neither legal nor optimal for what I do ), but it sounds like you got the rifle you wanted and it shoots tiny knots -- so it's a win-win for you.

P.S. And forget about the naysayers.  Just post a pic with your groups.  Ever notice how you see lots of pics of carbines with collapsible stocks and f-ugly float tubes with all manner of crap clamped to 'em on this site, but dang few pics of targets?  There's a reason for that...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#21]
The rifle was bulit as a urban sniper rifle for SWAT duty.  

Most urban sniper situations are at ranges less than 150 yards.
Most urban sniper shoots are less than 100 yards.

Recent trends show urban sniper situations are increasingly involving multiple suspects.

I took these into consideration before having this gun built.  

It all comes down to personal preferance and your needs.

Thanks,

rpd5127
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Nice Rig, Not my style, But very Nice.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Do a 10 shot group at 100 yards and if it is under 1/2 inch I will say that it MIGHT be worth the price of admission.

Reason being, it's way too easy to save some money and build up a good shooting rifle yourself that will shoot occasional 1/4 inch 3 or even 5 shot groups at 100 yards.   But the majority will be closer to 1/2 inch, much like you report.

The proof is in the pudding when shooting a higher sample size and the typical concepts of statistics  get to rear their ugly head.   Such as what is a normal distrbution for the shooter, rifle, load and how that plays into group size.

Maintain that level of accuracy across a larger group shot number and it will speak volumes.   Otherwise, take the average of the various groups and refer to that as the rifle's capabilities.

Reason being?    I have an accurized rifle that sometimes throws out the odd 1/2 inch or smaller 5 shot group but other times will inexplicably shoot something like a 3/4 inch group for 5.     Then I started shooting 10 shot groups and found that roughly 2-3 shots out of 10 were responsible for pushing the group size open to 3/4 inch.   Something that goes far to explain why I'd get an odd 3/4 inch group every now and then with other times getting bug hole type groups.

Small groups can pop up with the laws of probability just as often as large groups may pop up, it's simply a matter of how your standard distibution curve might be shaped.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#24]
1/4" groups?  What type of ammo were you using at what range? What position? Also how many shots in each group?

Hey, if that rifle can make ME a 1/4MOA shooter with my XM193PD then it is worth $3,500 and then some. If it is a 1/4MOA shooter with selected match ammo, multiple sandbags and someone else behind the trigger, then it doesn't fit my personal needs/wants but I am sure it is a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#25]
so how much did you pay for the thing?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
1/4" groups?  What type of ammo were you using at what range? What position? Also how many shots in each group?

Hey, if that rifle can make ME a 1/4MOA shooter with my XM193PD then it is worth $3,500 and then some. If it is a 1/4MOA shooter with selected match ammo, multiple sandbags and someone else behind the trigger, then it doesn't fit my personal needs/wants but I am sure it is a nice rifle.

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:43:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You can see by the Bolt Carrier that every inch of this thing is custom.  The Bolt Carrier not only looks great, but the action is the smoothest I have ever seen.

the bolt carrier is a Dan Young design, and is made by Young Manufacturing for LBC.  
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=256488

i have a slightly different vintage YM NM BC in my RECCE:
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/misc2/DSCN0681_sm.jpg

Quoted:
This picture shows the Leupold 8.5-25x30 scope that is on the gun.  Great performance out of it also.

how is the cheek weld/eye relief with the scope set so far back?  like most folks, i use a LaRue SPR cantilever mount to get the scope far enough forward:
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/ar15/DSCN0972_sm.jpg
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/ar15/DSCN0965_sm.jpg

Quoted:
By the way, this one has a Chip McCormick single stage trigger installed, not the Jewell Two-Stage that comes with the other Les Baer rifles.

hmmm.  very interesting.  the CMC trigger requires captive pins, as pointed out above (nice catch, btw).  there are three options: 1) drive oversize pins into the lower, 2) use the CMC-provided pins which have E-clips on them, or 3) use KNS anto-rotation pins.  from the pics, your setup could only be option 1.  i'm wondering why LBC would have driven pins into the lower when better solutions exist.

CMC trigger with CMC-supplied E-clip pins:

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:06:35 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You can see by the Bolt Carrier that every inch of this thing is custom.  The Bolt Carrier not only looks great, but the action is the smoothest I have ever seen.

the bolt carrier is a Dan Young design, and is made by Young Manufacturing for LBC.  

i have a slightly different vintage YM NM BC in my RECCE:
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/misc2/DSCN0681_sm.jpg

Quoted:

how is the cheek weld/eye relief with the scope set so far back?  like most folks, i use a LaRue SPR cantilever mount to get the scope far enough forward:
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/ar15/DSCN0972_sm.jpg
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/ar15/DSCN0965_sm.jpg

Quoted:

hmmm.  very interesting.  the CMC trigger requires captive pins, as pointed out above (nice catch, btw).  there are three options: 1) drive oversize pins into the lower, 2) use the CMC-provided pins which have E-clips on them, or 3) use KNS anto-rotation pins.  from the pics, your setup could only be option 1.  i'm wondering why LBC would have driven pins into the lower when better solutions exist.

CMC trigger with CMC-supplied E-clip pins:
losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/misc2/DSCN0659_sm.jpg

losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/misc2/DSCN0655_sm.jpg

ar-jedi

something that caught my eye too, with oversized pins they will eventually walk out as well so i hope lesbaer didnt do that with std fcg the spring's "legs" hold the pins in but with the cmc assy there is no exposed anything outside the "box" so the pins would just fall out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I just wanted to drop everyone a note and let them see the quality qork that Les Baer had done for me.  I called them, seven (7) months ago, and gave them
the specs for the gun I wanted and this is what I got in the mail the other day.

I am not very good at taking pictures, so they dont do the gun any justice.  This thing shoots 1/4" MOA at 100 yards out of the box!

robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/1.jpg
Les Baer Custom Sniper w/ 20" barrel

robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/2.jpg
MagPul Industries Precision Rifle Stock - The Les Baer came with another standard looking A2 stock, so I ordered this one a few months
ago and it came in just before the rifle did.  I just switched them out.  It is adjustable for "length of Pull" and "Cheek Height".

robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/3.jpg
You can see by the Bolt Carrier that every inch of this thing is custom.  The Bolt Carrier not only looks great, but the action is the
smoothest I have ever seen.

robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/5.jpg

robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/8.jpg
Another view of the receivers and scope (with caps off).

robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/9.jpg
Another close up look at the Magpul Precision Rifle Stock.  Worth every penny.

robinsonpd.org/images/hosted/LesBaer/10.jpg
One last picture ...

Let me know what you think of my new toy.  I hardily reccomend Les Baer to anyone wanting to have a custom 5.56mm sniper rifle / target rifle made.

Thanks,

rpd5127

nice rig ,,, baer has some awesome rifles and pistols.......congrats good choice
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:23:05 AM EDT
[#30]
ps:

Quoted:
This picture shows the Leupold 8.5-25x30 scope that is on the gun.

Quoted:
Recent trends show urban sniper situations are increasingly involving multiple suspects.
It all comes down to personal preferance and your needs.

that is a hell of a lot of magnification for 100 yd shots!

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice looking rifle but I dont even want to know what you paid for it. Not to mention waiting 7 months. You could have built your own in a weeks or two for under $1000 that would shoot 1/4" groups all day. Hell a $900 Bushy varminter w/ a good shooter, optic and ammo will do that all day right out of the box.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#32]
8.5-25x30? it looks to me like a 50mm.  my scope has a 30mm tube.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

1/4" groups were done in three round groups shooting from the prone position at 100 yards.  No sandags, just the bi-pod.

Thanks,

rpd5127
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
8.5-25x30? it looks to me like a 50mm.  my scope has a 30mm tube.

Sorry, meant to say 50mm.  You are correct.

Thanks,

rpd5127
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:21:55 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I just spoke with Les Baer again and they said that they manufacture them in-house  and do not out-source them.  They also stated that Young Manufacturing has never made anything for them.

Please see www.lesbaer.com/ar223b.html for more info.

The CMC trigger was installed by me.  I will look into the pin issue.  Did not even occur to me when I installed it.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I may end up replacing the pins.

Thanks,

rpd5127
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1/4" groups were done in three round groups shooting from the prone position at 100 yards.  No sandags, just the bi-pod.

Thanks,

rpd5127

What type of ammo were you using (or did you mention that already somewhere else)? I would be curious to see how it does with 5rd groups if you get a chance to try that.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just spoke with Les Baer again and they said that they manufacture them in-house  and do not out-source them.  They also stated that Young Manufacturing has never made anything for them.

if they want to believe that, well that's up to them.
please sign up for a ar15.com membership and read the info in the archive link i provided.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

if they want to believe that, well that's up to them.
please sign up for a ar15.com membership and read the info in the archive link i provided.  

ar-jedi

I borrowed a pic from the archived thread.  Funny, the patent numbers are the same on both the LBC and Young Mfg.

And a borrowed quote:

LES BAER CUSTOM BOUGHT THE RIGHTS TO THIS DESIGN. YOUNG MFG STILL MAKES THEM, BUT THEY NOW CARRY THE "LBC" LOGO

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I borrowed a pic from the archived thread.  Funny, the patent numbers are the same on both the LBC and Young Mfg.
img515.imageshack.us/img515/4968/dscn12627uw.jpg

And a borrowed quote:

LES BAER CUSTOM BOUGHT THE RIGHTS TO THIS DESIGN. YOUNG MFG STILL MAKES THEM, BUT THEY NOW CARRY THE "LBC" LOGO

I can't believe that a company that sells 2k dollar AR's that are no better than many costing half as much, would LIE to you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:21:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Post a range report!

I took it to the range on Monday (01/30/06).  I only fired 20 rounds through her on the first go.
This was a zeroing run, and not much more.

Time: 4:00pm
Weather: Clear
Temp: 71
Wind: 1-2mph (right to left)

Most groups 1/4", others just under 1/2".
That is out of the box, with no practice on this gun.  
I think it will be consistant 1/4" groups once I get used to it.

The functioning of the weapon was the best I have ever seen or felt.
Not one problem with any jaming or anything else.

I will be taking it out again here in a few minutes for about 60 rounds.

Thanks,

rpd5127

Nice weapon congradulations.  What ammo were you shooting and what is the twist of the barrel?

Do you have enough eye relief on your scope with just the rings?

Enjoy your weapon and shoot safe.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Very nice, but would prefer .308 for this type of tool.

Tack
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:22:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Hell,I like it a lot!  If I could be sure that it was my bushmaster and not me making bad shots I would buy one.  Thats if I could shoot 1/4moa@100yards with it. I think I will keep working with the bushmaster for a while but I like to know there is options out there. More options are always good.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please see www.lesbaer.com/ar223b.html for more info.

i checked out the Les Bauer web page above.  it includes such statements as

LBC Ultimate National Match Bolt Carrier

Our LBC NM carriers are precision machined for excellent oil retention. They come with a tapered hammer ramp and they're a full ounce heavier than standard bolt carriers. Chrome plated inside and out. LBC Patent # 5,551,179.

i checked that patent out...

here is the patent office document for patent number 5,551,179

Inventors: Young; Daniel H. (4120 Mission La., Phoenix, AZ 85051)
Appl. No.: 369388
Filed: January 6, 1995

q.e.d.

at the very least Les Bauer could have stated "Licensed design, Patent #XYZ" instead of stating it was an "LBC Patent #XYZ".

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Okay so let me get this straight. You spent that kind of money on a rifle? Waited 7 months for it? Then had to swap out the stock and trigger for another $500 or so dollars? I'm sorry but you are at the top of my dumbass waste of money list.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:41:08 PM EDT
[#45]

What type of ammo were you using (or did you mention that already somewhere else)? I would be curious to see how it does with 5rd groups if you get a chance to try that.

I am using Winchester 55 gr. Balistic Silver Tip.

Thanks,

rpd5127
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Okay so let me get this straight. You spent that kind of money on a rifle? Waited 7 months for it? Then had to swap out the stock and trigger for another $500 or so dollars? I'm sorry but you are at the top of my dumbass waste of money list.

I do not recall reading what he paid for it.  So how do you know?

Some people just can't stand someone else having something that nice.

You got one beautiful rifle there rpd and what ever you paid for it you got your moneys worth..  Good luck with it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Nice to know that when you post something on this site and get called names for you affection for the AR rifle.
This only proves that people like YELLOWV have too much time on thier hands.  Some people have no
manners or aptitude for tolerance.  

BTW, I have never said what I paid for the gun.  In any case, it was my money and mine to do with as I
pleased.  If you don't like it, so be it.  But I do, and that seems to be the only thing that counts.

I still like AR15.com and would reccommend it to anyone with a quest for knowledge about the AR series
of rifles.

Thanks,

rpd5127
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice to know that when you post something on this site and get called names for you affection for the AR rifle.
This only proves that people like YELLOWV have too much time on thier hands.  Some people have no

BTW, I have never said what I paid for the gun.  In any case, it was my money and mine to do with as I
pleased.  If you don't like it, so be it.  But I do, and that seems to be the only thing that counts.

I still like AR15.com and would reccommend it to anyone with a quest for knowledge about the AR series
of rifles.

Thanks,

rpd5127

Facts can hurt sometimes. I wouldn't call you a dumbass but you definitely got taken.

Arfcom can be rough but at least they don't sugar coat it and make you feel good about bad purchases. You need a thick skin but the comments will help you to not waste money in the future.

Now I am going to give you some friendly but critical comments. You are using a 8.5-25X scope. There is no way you need that much magnifacation for less than 200 yards. The main thing I see though is that you can only go down to 8.5X which is too much in a close-up situation. I would reccomend something like a 2-10 or 3-12 scope.

You are using 55gr winchester silvertip. You never said this was your offensive/defensive ammo so I will just assume this is what you want to use. I would highly  reccomend NOT using this ammo. If you have to go for a body shot it may not penetrate far enough and it certainly won't work well at all for any kind of barrier. For the most destruction and enough penetration I would reccomend using either a 69gr or 75gr round. These, however, are not the best if you want to penetrate a barrier like auto/building glass which a sniper should be able to do. For penetration I would go with a bonded round like the federal bearclaw or federal TRU.

You need to make up your own mind on the ammo because I don't know if you want the added penetration capability. On a side note; I don't know what twist your barrel is but for the 75gr bullets a 1/9 might not work. It is best to have a 1/8 or 1/7 for those heavier rounds.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

of rifles.

Thanks,

rpd5127

Facts can hurt sometimes. I wouldn't call you a dumbass but you definitely got taken.

Arfcom can be rough but at least they don't sugar coat it and make you feel good about bad purchases. You need a thick skin but the comments will help you to not waste money in the future.

Now I am going to give you some friendly but critical comments. You are using a 8.5-25X scope. There is no way you need that much magnifacation for less than 200 yards. The main thing I see though is that you can only go down to 8.5X which is too much in a close-up situation. I would reccomend something like a 2-10 or 3-12 scope.

You are using 55gr winchester silvertip. You never said this was your offensive/defensive ammo so I will just assume this is what you want to use. I would highly  reccomend NOT using this ammo. If you have to go for a body shot it may not penetrate far enough and it certainly won't work well at all for any kind of barrier. For the most destruction and enough penetration I would reccomend using either a 69gr or 75gr round. These, however, are not the best if you want to penetrate a barrier like auto/building glass which a sniper should be able to do. For penetration I would go with a bonded round like the federal bearclaw or federal TRU.

You need to make up your own mind on the ammo because I don't know if you want the added penetration capability. On a side note; I don't know what twist your barrel is but for the 75gr bullets a 1/9 might not work. It is best to have a 1/8 or 1/7 for those heavier rounds.

Are you related to yellow?

I don't recall reading what the primary use for the gun will be.  Maybe he wants to shoot 1/4" groups at 100 Yards or 1/2" groups at 200.

I have an 8.5 - 25x Leopold.  It is one of the finest scopes ever made for its intended purpose.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
ALPHA9000 - Are you related to yellow?

I don't recall reading what the primary use for the gun will be.  Maybe he wants to shoot 1/4" groups at 100 Yards or 1/2" groups at 200.

I have an 8.5 - 25x Leopold.  It is one of the finest scopes ever made for its intended purpose.

Quoted:

It all comes down to personal preferance and your needs

Reading is Fundemental!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top