BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#1]
That does not look like Rock Rivers work.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:51:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So that's  how photoman tests those clones?  What a fucking moron.  He acts like he's very professional with his testing.  What some people won't do to try and "prove" that their clones are worthy.  Throwing a rifle 30 feet into the air?  Why do that to the poor rifle?  That's not right one bit!!!

I'm getting sick of this "who cares what it looks like- shoot it!" attitude.  When you get a product like an upper that has obviously been abused somewhere along the way, you have to be stupid to accept it in any condition less than "great."  Perfect isn't always necessary, but "hacked up" certainly isn't good enough.  

This "be a man and shoot it" is ridiculous.  Be a man and demand the problem get  taken care of is the attitude you should have.  Not act like a kit too happy to have a gun in his hand to care about how it was made.  Take the time and send it back.  You can wait another week or two.  

I Agree. I do care about my equipment and do the best I can to take care of it and to keep it running smoothly. And totally agree that none of us should except sub par craftsmenship, but honestly my "Not so well done" feed ramp'ed Bushmaster has less problems then my complete stock Bushmaster. So if isnt broke dont try messing with it, and to get slammed on by people on this forum because of my decision to not send it back is a bit out of line, ya know.

223REM, btw, honestly you very well could take your dremel to that upper and clean it up and it would be good to go for sure. But I do understand that its the just the fact of the matter that it was sold to you, and you were expecting a perfect product.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:30:44 AM EDT
[#3]
The company I work for issues steel-toed rubber boots to all of our production employees.  We are talking hundreds of pairs of boots.   A few months after we started this program, we began to get compliants of leakage around the the seam at the sole of the boot.  Not every pair, in fact less than 20 out of our total order.  

Ok, the employees that were having a problem were issued replacements, and no more problems.....we chalked it up to a bad batch.  Nevertheless, we mentioned it to our sales rep, who in turn said something to the factory.   A few weeks later, we got a call.  The factory had found a minor flaw in one of its molds.  Very minor, and it was causing problems with less than 1% of their production.   But since this boot is also used in HAZ-MAT work, that minor flaw could have had some very serious consequences for some user down the road.  The flaw was fixed, and the only negative affects were a few wet socks.  

His gun may be a freak lemon that just slipped by, or it could be a problem in some area of production that hasn't been uncovered yet, and if left un-checked it could, just maybe, cause a gun to fail when someone is in fight for their life.  

Report it, make them fix it, and consider the possibility that the factory learns something from it.  Somebody might get to hug their wife and kids at the end of shift because you spoke up!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:36:57 AM EDT
[#4]
My 20HBAR Bushwhacker had that done! I like it!
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That is the grossest hack job I've seen on ramps.  I'd be slightly concerned of that extension staying in one piece.  There has been alot of metal removed there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:09:49 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.hunt101.com/img/373463.JPG
Not my idea if M4 Feedramps

Until today I never fully inspected the New RRA DEA Upper I purchased last December from a dealer on this board.  Not mentioning any names, so do not ask becuase I do not know who's doing this was.  Certainly was not mine!  As you can see the upper has not been fired.

Has anyone else received a new RRA upper  recently which has questionable feedramps.  My investigation will start will RRA since they were the manufacturer.

Hell, the day was pretty damn gloomy to start with the rain and all, but I did not need this.

1. If RRA did this to the upper they should come good for it and replace it.
2. If selling dealer had anything to do with this (selling it as a RRA factory build but assembling it themselves out of RRA parts) we all should know about their practice of doing so.
3. 223Rem I'm sure works hard for his money like most of us here and in no way should be expected to lay down and accept a poorly made item he paid good money for, no matter what it was. Send it back and let us know what RRA says about it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Bro you should have gone with LMT..........If you want the real shit go to the real dealers. That RRA, Bushmaster & Colt crap is only advertising hype. You never see CMT or LMT advertised in magazines or on gun store shelves. Screw the aftermarket dealerships. Go right to the guy who makes the stuff........You will not get screwed!!!!!!!!!

Quoted:

Until today I never fully inspected the New RRA DEA Upper I purchased last December from a dealer on this board.  Not mentioning any names, so do not ask becuase I do not know who's doing this was.  Certainly was not mine!  As you can see the upper has not been fired.

Has anyone else received a new RRA upper  recently which has questionable feedramps.  My investigation will start will RRA since they were the manufacturer.

Hell, the day was pretty damn gloomy to start with the rain and all, but I did not need this.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Bro you should have gone with LMT..........If you want the real shit go to the real dealers. That RRA, Bushmaster & Colt crap is only advertising hype. You never see CMT or LMT advertised in magazines or on gun store shelves. Screw the aftermarket dealerships. Go right to the guy who makes the stuff........You will not get screwed!!!!!!!!!

Quoted:

Huh... Your telling us that COLT is aftermarket? After what market?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#9]
My year-old RRA upper looks like this:

From this picture, you can see that my ramps, though not anodized, are regular, smooth, SMALL, and clean.  (There's plenty of dust from the tissue I wiped CLP off of the whole thing with, but that's not what I'm talking about. )
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#10]
That looks like crap. I would hope if RRA is sending nasty looking junk like that out the doors, they will stand behind it and give you another one. I personally don't care if it WORKS. I would care more about how long it might last.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My year-old RRA upper looks like this:
img469.imageshack.us/img469/7213/ramps4ow.jpg
From this picture, you can see that my ramps, though not anodized, are regular, smooth, SMALL, and clean.  (There's plenty of dust from the tissue I wiped CLP off of the whole thing with, but that's not what I'm talking about. )

These are how mine look, too.  

Clean but obviously a dremel job.  I've had no malfunctions but if CMT is  their supplier it would make whole lot more sense for RRA to source  uppers with the proper ramps and extensions than hacking into virgin metal and defacing an otherwise beautiful product.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 1:30:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll add to my original statement- if you receive a "new" rifle that is sub par and you aren't getting on a truck or plane on your way to a gunfight or war take the time to send it back.

But, if you've fired 500 rounds through it and then notice it's not quite right when you clean it, AND yuo had no problems with it, then don't worry about it.  Just keep it in mind for the next time you buy a rifle.  Check the new one before you fire it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:42:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:19:18 PM EDT
[#14]
are you sure that the dealer you bought this from didnt do this, i just got a new upper from RRA and it is perfect
sorry to hear about this happening to you
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Colt crap is only advertising hype.

WTF are you talking about?  Colt is the originator of the M4 feedramps.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#16]
RRA says they never made the DEA Carbine uppers?  That might have been Pete with LT that came up with that one if RRA didn't.  I can't say I for sure I saw it on their site, but I am pretty sure they did advertise it and they are lying to you.

Wow.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:26:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'll add to my original statement- if you receive a "new" rifle that is sub par and you aren't getting on a truck or plane on your way to a gunfight or war take the time to send it back.

But, if you've fired 500 rounds through it and then notice it's not quite right when you clean it, AND yuo had no problems with it, then don't worry about it.  Just keep it in mind for the next time you buy a rifle.  Check the new one before you fire it.

Fair enough. This is the position I would take. And for the record my RRA Entry Tact. doesnt look like that. I wasnt even expecting feed ramps. My RRA is the only one that has them, but I've never had an issue with my AR15's that dont, so I dont see what all the fuss is about
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Wait so Rock River is now denying that they sell a DEA rifle?? Or am I misunderstanding?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:52:06 PM EDT
[#19]
There is some faulty dremeling there, and none like I've ever seen come from RRA. That's not to say RRA didn't do it, but one thing in particular sparks my interest. Notice the out right puncture on the feed ramp in the left side of the picture. I have never seen a dremel do such damage, and that isn't a burn. That looks like some one intentionally hammered a sharper object into it. As I mentioned, I highly doubt a dremel could do that, especially on 4140 steel. That looks like some one tried to stake the extension and the receiver with a screw driver.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You've been here since 2002 and don't remember the HUGE wars back and forth between dremel and actual M4 feedramps?

+1

This is the cause of this whole problem you got yourself into.

RRA "ramps" are a hack job no matter how cleanly it is done or no matter how you try to rationalize or justify it.

Al anodizing is broken when these "ramps" are cut, exposing Al to whatever.

I would rather have a no ramp upper than a RRA hack job.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#22]
RRA has a forum here.  Why not post this there, where they may see and respond, rather than/in addition to, General Discussion, where they may not see it?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I remember seeing the thread, but do not rembering read it as none of my uppers at the time had M4 Feedramps.  No interest for me.   As of now, none of them have M4 feedramps.

When I bougth this New RRA Upper from a dealer on this board (for those people who did not catch it the first time), there was no mention of Mscrewed fukkedramps.  This upper will probably function 100% for a decent amount of time, but that is not my main concern.  Crappy workmanship is my complaint.  With how badly these things (not sure what they are) were put in, there is nothing saying that down the road if the upper develops issues RRA will  say they were not done by them.  I just want RRA to know that if a problem does develop they can not just skate the issue.  If RRA admits to doing the hack job, I will shoot the hell out of the upper as long as they will waranty any repairs required due to their fudging the goods.

As was stated earlier, ALL of RRA's uppers and complete rifles come with the butchered feedramps to some degree or another. It will function just fine, but the issues arise when it comes time to replace your barrel. No barrel with a true M4 barrel extension or a standard rifle extension  will match-up to your dremeled receiver without also needing to be butchered To me, it makes absolutely no sense why they (RRA) does this crap.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You've been here since 2002 and don't remember the HUGE wars back and forth between dremel and actual M4 feedramps?

The irony is that the public outcry for M4 ramps likely prompted RRA to cut them in.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
RRA has a forum here.  Why not post this there, where they may see and respond, rather than/in addition to, General Discussion, where they may not see it?

Don't waste your time... I had already IM'ed the moderator of that forum, spoke my thoughts about this matter and gave him the link to this discussion... He replied saying that those feedramps are OK and are normal and that there was already a twenty something page topic about this in the past and he also said that COLT does this kind of thing too... Needless to say, after that response, I will never ever buy any of RRA's products again, period... There's way to many other AR parts dealers out there that have better attitudes towards their products and I will only deal with them in the future...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
There is some faulty dremeling there, Agreed...

Notice the out right puncture on the feed ramp in the left side of the picture. I have never seen a dremel do such damage, I have...

and that isn't a burn, Its where a very fine dremel stone was left stationary to long... a polished spot...  

That looks like some one intentionally hammered a sharper object into it. Maybe to you but not to me...  

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#27]
How about calling them? How many times do we have to go over this?

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is some faulty dremeling there, Agreed...

Notice the out right puncture on the feed ramp in the left side of the picture. I have never seen a dremel do such damage, I have...

and that isn't a burn, Its where a very fine dremel stone was left stationary to long... a polished spot...  

That looks like some one intentionally hammered a sharper object into it. Maybe to you but not to me...  

i29.photobucket.com/albums/c278/olds442tyguy/b52b496c.jpg

Notice the fold and the burred aread. Reguardless of what you say, I still don't believe that's a burn. The way it's shiny, folded over, and burred is in my opinion, evidence that it's not a burn. I don't know how RRA would have done that with even the smallest of stones.

Reguardless, it looks like it must have been an off day for the guy that normally does the work. I still don't think M4 ramps are necessary, especially dremeled ones. However, if it works with no flaws, it still works.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#29]

We do not have any product here called a "DEA upper", however we do polish the feed at the edge of the upper receiver during building to remove any edge between the upper receiver and barrel extension, and to ensure more positive feeding.

It sounds like it's official now that RRA did the hack grinding.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:04:58 PM EDT
[#30]
You say you bought it from a dealer.  Was he an offiical RRA dealer?  Did you verify this?  As someone else said above, I'm not in agreement that this is an RRA-built upper at all.  Did you check out the ID marks on the other parts?  What does the barrel say?  How is the flash hider indexed?  Crush or peel washer? If the dealer called it a DEA upper and RRA says they do not make a DEA upper (this is true), just a DEA rifle, then I'd look at the dealer first and foremost.  Seems to have started with him.

Those marks are clearly done by someone who did not have the correct tools or fixtures to hold the upper in place while dremeling.   I've seen a lot of RRA uppers with dremeled feed ramps and none have ever looked like that.  They aren't even polished, let alone uniform cuts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

RRA already made an unofficial official response via email.

It sounds like another dealer just confirmed what I though.  

Pete's the DEA uppers are not endorsed as such by RRA...

The dealer in the EE that claims he's not just another "kitchen table dealer" must mean he doesn't do his dremel work at the kitchen table, huh?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#32]
RRA should hire a competent machinist to build some jigs to do them properly, at least.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Maybe yours was made on a monday and one of the techs was hung over!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#34]
I have an RRA A2 receiver that I bought ~ 2 years ago which also has the "Dremeled" feedramps. I installed a barrel in it and have shot ~ 500 rounds through it without any issue.

Quoted:
...he also said that COLT does this kind of thing too...

Just as an FYI, that line is apparently true. There have been a few reports of factory Colt uppers with dremeled feedramps. Most (all?) have been 6520 uppers. They started using M4 barrel extensions on the newer 6520 barrels but apparently do not have a large enough supply of A2 uppers with properly machined\anodized M4 feedcuts. Their solution apparently was to whip out the dremel?

Either way, I have mixed feelings on this whole thing. On one hand, there is no doubt in my mind that this is a cheesy and stupid thing to do. Match the barrel ext to the correct receiver and leave the damn dremel alone! On the other hand, with all of the threads that have been started about this issue, I don't remember anyone ever claiming they have had feed issues that could show it was a direct result of having dremeled feedramps? So is this much ado about nothing? I don't know but this "issue" does rank high on my list of threads I wish would quit getting rehashed every few months as if it was some breaking news.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:28:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
As was stated earlier, ALL of RRA's uppers and complete rifles come with the butchered feedramps to some degree or another. It will function just fine, but the issues arise when it comes time to replace your barrel. No barrel with a true M4 barrel extension or a standard rifle extension  will match-up to your dremeled receiver without also needing to be butchered To me, it makes absolutely no sense why they (RRA) does this crap.

Look at the picture I posted-while the ramps in my gun don't look perfect, they're hardly "butchered."  They're clean, smooth and pretty much match the barrel extension.  The OP's gun, on the other hand, IS butchered...  And from all the other RRAs I've seen, it doesn't look like what they normally do.

So, 223Rem, have you called RRA and asked about it?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#36]
The feed ramps on my RRA upper were dremeled too.  I would prefer M4 ramps, but I have had no feed failures in 2000 rounds, so I have no complaints.  Thanks for a great rifle RRA!!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b17/forgiver/ramps.jpg
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Here is my RRA upper. Not very "extended", might be a good thing though.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...he also said that COLT does this kind of thing too...

Just as an FYI, that line is apparently true. There have been a few reports of factory Colt uppers with dremeled feedramps. Most (all?) have been 6520 uppers. They started using M4 barrel extensions on the newer 6520 barrels but apparently do not have a large enough supply of A2 uppers with properly machined\anodized M4 feedcuts. Their solution apparently was to whip out the dremel?

I'm well aware of it, I've seen pictures of them... But, COLT never put out dremeled hacked up ramps that looked like that...

Even those Bushmaster canyons pictured in this thread are clean, yeah deep, but still clean looking...
There's no excuse for letting something that looks that bad leave the factory, period... Its a damn shame RRA compared that hack job to ramp cuts that are clean looking and done with a tad bit of skill...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

We do not have any product here called a "DEA upper", however we do polish the feed at the edge of the upper receiver during building to remove any edge between the upper receiver and barrel extension, and to ensure more positive feeding.

It sounds like it's official now that RRA did the hack grinding.

Hell yeah it does, without a doubt...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#40]
I've never checked my stag arms upper to see if it even had feed ramps.
It does but they don't look like the ones pictured, they're really smooth and look integrated rather then cut out. Is that good?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I have a del-ton flat top upper with no dremeling... but the barrel does have the M4 ramps.... I may do my own dremeling somtime... but for now it feeds fine. I would rather do my own than some hack artist!
jim
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#42]

Huh... Your telling us that COLT is aftermarket? After what market?

After the military Market! just yanking a chain.

I thought all Colt 6520's had M4 ramps, I have a 4 digit serial number pre-ban 6520 that has factory M4 feedramps.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#43]
got a question about the feed ramps. Are they a must have, Im not trying to stir up shit I realy don't know. After reviewing this thread I just looked at my Les Baer M4 and there are no ramps like in the pics you guys posted. The barrel extension has the ramps but nothing is cut into my receiver like you guys have. Ive never had a feeding problem (ever), So am I just getting lucky or do you not really need them?

Maybe its because I built it piece by piece over the last year and didn not do them myself. I don't know if Baer puts them in when he builds a rifle or not. but I don't have them and it feeds great.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I've got an RRA upper.

It doesn't have the M4 feed ramps..

Hell, it doesn't have any feed ramps.

It's a 9mm
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#46]
If that was my upper I just bought from RRA, I'd be so mad I'd shoot that sucker until the barrel was worn out & I'd send it back and have them put another barrel in it.  I think the promary question here is form versus function. Sometimes things that work are not pretty (ever look over an eastern bloc AK?). My advice is go shoot it. If the asthetics continue to bother you or if it won't shoot, call RRA, talk to Mark,  & tell him your story. I'd think he'll do whatever it takes to make you a happy customer either way.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:27:59 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm started to lean towards the idea that this was assembled by the dealer and not RRA.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#48]
StylesBitchely ---is it the lighting in your photo.....it sure looks like someone slipped with the dremel on the right side and put a nice nick in the receiver. As Bigbores has pointed out......this is the problem with someone trying to "free-hand" ramps in, when they are probably not needed for this particular rifle to function.

When you are working on the line --- it only takes a tiny slip [ of the dremel ] a couple times a day for these things to get out and cause bad press.

It does boil down to workmanship --  if they are going to do it, then they are obligated to do it right, up to professional standards. I would think & hope that both the dealer and RRA would work to resolve this problem --if the customer was willing to give them a chance.

I have yet to see where the customer has called RRA and talked personally with someone about his problem. Throwing e-mails back and fourth means nothing to me IMHO TOO easy to miss understand ones intentions. Please make the call and let us all know what RRA [ a real person ] is willing to do to help you.

Thanks..........

JF.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
And I know some guys who have chainsaws in the back of their pick-ups that call themselves General Contractors

lol....

ChainSaw Construction, LLC!!!!

It's an industry term I use alot for shoddy competition!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't waste your time... I had already IM'ed the moderator of that forum, spoke my thoughts about this matter and gave him the link to this discussion... He replied saying that those feedramps are OK and are normal and that there was already a twenty something page topic about this in the past and he also said that COLT does this kind of thing too... Needless to say, after that response, I will never ever buy any of RRA's products again, period... There's way to many other AR parts dealers out there that have better attitudes towards their products and I will only deal with them in the future...

About 2 years ago I had bought a RRA rifle and it came with the dremel feed ramps and a chromoly barrel.  I wanted to swap out the barrel for a chrome lined one because I was using frangible ammo and it was a pain to scrub clean.  Rather than mess with the dremeled upper, I sold the complete upper and replaced it with a Bushy upper and barrel.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top