Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/5/2006 3:22:27 PM EDT
Just wondering is this type wear normal for a buffer ? this is a 3oz carbine buffer that came with my vltor stock .

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the rear of your bolt carrier for minute burrs.

What brand weapon is it?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Just wondering is this type wear normal for a buffer ? this is a 3oz carbine buffer that came with my vltor stock .
www.hunt101.com/img/374016.jpg

I just got a new Bushmaster Upper for X-Mas. It is a 14.5inch flattop.
I put that new upper on an older (01) Bushmaster lower. I got the same thing after only perhaps 100 rounds. My older uppr had not done it at all. Also, my new Bushmaster upper has a charging handle that is scraped to hell. it looks 100 times worse than my upper from 01, that has had thousands of rounds through it. My newer upper with only a few hundred already looks like shit.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What brand weapon is it?

Colt match target  , & I have bump fired a few rounds through it if that makes any difference
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]
how many rounds?

if nothing is wrong with the carrier of  and the scratches bother you, Brownelss sells a polymer bumper that sticks to the buffer face to protect it and the carrier
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
how many rounds?

if nothing is wrong with the carrier of  and the scratches bother you, Brownelss sells a polymer bumper that sticks to the buffer face to protect it and the carrier

Or you could fix the problem instead of using a crutch....
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1

I have had the same issue on some of my buffers... Just a small burr can do it.. Little bit of emery cloth will take care of it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
how many rounds?

Or you could fix the problem instead of using a crutch....

Stickman any ideas for sabre331 and I?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
how many rounds?

Probly going on 2000 rounds easily
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:41:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Stickman any ideas for sabre331 and I?

Take the rear of the bolt carrier and look at it, chances are that you won't see anything, but its worth a try.  Next, take your finger, or finger nail and run it across the corners, including in the channel.  See if you can pick up where the area is that needs to be brought down.  Grab your wife/sister/mothers nail file (flexible type), and go over the rear edges where you think the problem is.  

You don't need to take much down.  

Leaving it the way it is isn't the end of the world, much like Denny, I've got some that I don't think ever looked as nice as the one pictured.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
how many rounds?

Yes, and add another unecessary part that could come loose and jammed and tie the entire weapon in knots.

Denny

I agree completely and would never use the polymer pad,  I was just letting him know that if nothing is actually wrong with anything and the marks/scratches  bother him that there is a way to fix it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:39:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Is it a Colt Half Circle Bolt Carrier???

Mine doesn't look that bad but I have a half circle carrier and you have two edges that make those marks.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:44:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a colt sporter with the half circle carrier and my rifle buffer had the same wear as yours.  Now i have 6920 which has an m16 carrier and a higher round count. The buffer has nearly no wear.  

I think it is just the nature of the half cirlce carriers.  I could be wrong, but these were my observations.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is it a Colt Half Circle Bolt Carrier???

Mine doesn't look that bad but I have a half circle carrier and you have two edges that make those marks.

it's a half circle bolt
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I had a colt sporter with the half circle carrier and my rifle buffer had the same wear as yours.  Now i have 6920 which has an m16 carrier and a higher round count. The buffer has nearly no wear.  

I think it is just the nature of the half cirlce carriers.  I could be wrong, but these were my observations.

That could be true , two other guys I know with full circle bolts , don't have that wear on them .
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't think you will ever have a problem, if you do just get a new buffer as they are cheaper than a carrier.

If you come across a full circle SP1 or M16 carrier pic it up and replace the half circle.  That is what I will do if I fine one cheap.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#18]
It seems to be a very common issue with rifles from any manufacturer.  My Bushmaster carbine did the same thing with only a few hundred rounds through it.  I took some very fine sandpaper, the kind used for wet sanding auto finishes, and lightly hit the back of the bolt carrier.  Since then I have replaced the stock/buffer with another and the new one has absolutely no wear.

Sarge
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the info folks , I've been reading up also on the heavy buffer threads  & decided to turn a couple buffers out on the lathe , (standard cold roll steel) I faced these with Delrin  with a UHMW lower end ,  one weighs  4.2 oz (built to exact  carbine buffer dimensions ),the other , the 5.2 oz ....I decided  to try & get some more weight out of it , so  I "beefed" the specs up a lil larger  
I ran about 60 rounds through my colt with the 5.2 oz  it seems to work great  even with the larger diameter body  , I'll give them  a real test this weekend to see how they do ..

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top