Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 2/6/2006 8:06:18 PM EDT
Thought you guys might like to see this thread.

HERE

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:12:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont buy it for a minute.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I dont buy it for a minute.

we'll find out soon man
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#4]
If they build it, I will buy it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Update on page 8 of that thread.

WIZZO

EDIT: More readin material HERE. Basically confirming what has been reported in the first thread.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I"ll probably buy one eventually, but I really don't understand why these things are so sought after.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I"ll probably buy one eventually, but I really don't understand why these things are so sought after.

Because people always want what they can't have.

Look at the Aug.

Hell, look at the G3.  When they were new you couldn't give them away for a couple hundred dollars.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I don't either. Maybe that might change if I ever get the chance to screw around with one in person.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I know I will be quite pissed off if it comes with a collapsable, non-folding stock. If it doesn't have a folding stock, why would I want it over an AR? It'll look almost just like one. >.<
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

AK like reliability, MOA accuracy (and below), strict quality control, precision manufacturing, and did I mention the AK like reliability?

It's a good platform and there's no denying that. It isn't the answer for everything though and I feel desperately sorry for those that have payed the $10k price that's common with the pre ban models.

For $1500, I'd buy one.
For over $2000, I highly doubt I'd be interested.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been talking about the 556 for about two months once I got the "hints" from a friend that does high volume LEO sales on SIG products. One more day to endure and at 9am thursday morning SIG will be making their big annoucement. What that is, I dont know, but I really hope it is the 556.

With any luck Glock will come out to play with a new carbine that takes STANAG mags as well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AK like reliability, MOA accuracy (and below), strict quality control, precision manufacturing, and did I mention the AK like reliability?

It's a good platform and there's no denying that. It isn't the answer for everything though and I feel desperately sorry for those that have payed the $10k price that's common with the pre ban models.

For $1500, I'd buy one.

That may be true of a Swiss Arms 550 but this is a SIG USA variation. There is nothing to say the same QC will go into the new rifle that went into the old.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have read reports of 2-3 MOA accuracy from European users.  I would say its less accurate than an AR for certain and doubt the sub MOA claims from a standard factory rifle being the norm.  I have only fired a 550 with irons though and my eyes are not good enough to do sub MOA groups with irons.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#14]
yeah becaue we all know how SIG USA produces nothing but low quality junk
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

For $1500, I'd buy one.

That may be true of a Swiss Arms 550 but this is a SIG USA variation. There is nothing to say the same QC will go into the new rifle that went into the old.

Yeah because Europe is filled with the super race of gun makers, and Americans are just lazy slack jawed rednecks that dont know their heads from their assholes when it comes to guns. SIG is going to hire crack whores to build their most important product since the DAK trigger  

And if I recall the 551 is a 2 MOA weapon at 100 yards. But accuracy isnt the most important thing in a combat weapon. If I want accuracy I will get a new Barret .416
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Yeah because Europe is filled with the super race of gun makers, and Americans are just lazy slack jawed rednecks that dont know their heads from their assholes when it comes to guns. SIG is going to hire crack whores to build their most important product since the DAK trigger  

You must know a guy on the inside

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#17]
LOL

crack whores!!!

none the less i  think i am going to pick one up, a friend is a FFL that suplies mostly LEO and Contractors and may be able to hook me up with a LEO price, or at the very least not bending me over

i think this could be a cool wepon to use surpressed,  and would compliment my Commando pretty nice

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:56:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

For $1500, I'd buy one.

And if I recall the 551 is a 2 MOA weapon at 100 yards. But accuracy isnt the most important thing in a combat weapon. If I want accuracy I will get a new Barret .416

Some people have worked directly with SIG USA and some people have experience with the Swiss Arms and the 550/1/2. Can you describe yourself as this?

Judging by your posts I would say you can't.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:02:35 PM EDT
[#19]
bottom line is SIG USA has been making great handguns for years, and will continue to put out quality products

i think the operating system makes its such a good weapon, not swiss ingenuity
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:07:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
bottom line is SIG USA has been making great handguns for years, and will continue to put out quality products

i think the operating system makes its such a good weapon, not swiss ingenuity

No one is saying that it does, what I am saying is that if Sig USA releases something it will not be the same as the 550/1/2. There really isn't any way to tell until it is released and until then anything posted is pure conjecture.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

For $1500, I'd buy one.

Some people have worked directly with SIG USA and some people have experience with the Swiss Arms and the 550/1/2. Can you describe yourself as this?

Judging by your posts I would say you can't.

Are you trying to get your post count up, or were you trying to make a point, because nothing you just said relates to QC.

SIG has been building pistols in the USA for quite some time with parts imported from Germany. When is the last time you saw "made in Switzerland" on anything from SIG, so Swiss Arms doesnt really mean shit other than holding a patent at this point.

But since you have no confidence in SIG Arms USA and the American arms maker, just sell off your AR15's while you're at it, since they were made by Americans as well.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#22]
If the SIG is the same price as the Krebs 03 I am going to get the SIG. If not, then I'm getting the krebs.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:25:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Here it is courtesy of Sig Forum:

read about it here:

Sig 556 rifle
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

sigforum.com/movedimages/para/556/556a.jpg

read about it here:

Sig 556 rifle

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sigforum.com/movedimages/para/556/556a.jpg

read about it here:

Sig 556 rifle

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#26]
yeah, thats a 1000 dollar rifle
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If they build it, I will buy it.

Same when the SCAR L & H comes out  (yes one of each). So now I need to start saving for about a total of 10 Different rifles I want.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#28]

SIGARMS press release:

New SIG 556 Rifle: The time Has Come
SIGARMS® introduces U.S. made version or legendary Swiss rifle.

EXETER, NH – No other semi-automatic rifle has captured the imagination of the shooting public like the SG 550 series rifle. For years this legendary Swiss made rifle has been restricted to law enforcement and military sales where it has continuously built on its reputation for outstanding performance, accuracy and durability. Now, SIGARMS® has announced that the time has come for a U.S. made version and introduces the new SIG 556.

The SIG 556 features the same high-performance two position adjustable gas piston operating rod system engineered by SIG’s sister company Swiss Arms and marries it to a trigger housing that not only cuts the rifle’s weight by a pound but is designed to accept standard AR magazines.

Originally developed to work under the extreme situational pressures and environmental conditions of the Swiss Army on alpine duty, the new SIG 556 delivers when it counts regardless of ammunition type and variances in gas pressure or case material.

The SIG 556 features a 16” military grade cold hammer forged barrel with a twist rate of 1 in 9”. The barrel is locked to the steel receiver through a unique system that allows the user to easily change out the barrel.

The forearm housing the gas operating system is a vented non-slip polymer featuring the SIG TriRail design with three integrated Picatinny rails for mounting accessories. There is a forward mount for right or left side sling attachment. The flip up front combat sight is adjustable for windage and elevation.

The Picatinny rail equipped receiver is made of high strength carbon steel with a durable wear-resistant Nitron® X rifle finish. The trigger housing is made from a heat treated aircraft grade aluminum alloy with a hard-coat anodized finish designed to survive extreme conditions. The rifle comes equipped with a smooth two-stage trigger.

The SIG 556 also features an ambidextrous safety and is designed to accept standard AR magazines. A rugged 30-round polymer magazine is supplied with each rifle.

Spare battery compartments are provided in the ergonomically designed pistol grip as well as the rubber padded watertight adjustable butt stock. The butt stock also offers sling attachment points.

In addition to the standard model SIG 556 which will begin to ship in late summer of 2006, SIGARMS will also offer a SIG 556 L featuring a longer forearm but also equipped with the 16” barrel. The 556 L will be ideal for upgrading to the 20” barrel for more precision oriented shooting.

The third model planned to 2006 is the SIG 556 SWAT. The SWAT model will feature the same compact design of the standard SIG 556 with 16” barrel but will feature a flat top Picatinny railed receiver and a tactical quad rail.

These three rifles are the first of several new SIG 556 models that are currently in development at SIGARMS. The wait is over. The new U.S. made SIG 556 begins shipping in late summer – because the time has come.

SIG 556 SPECIFICATIONS & FEATURES

............................SIG 556 L.......SIG 556......SIG 556 SWAT
Caliber: ---------------------- 5.56 mm ----------------------
Overall Length: ........36.5”..........36.5”............36.5”
Length w/ Stock Folded: 33”........33”..............33”
Barrel Length: ...........16”............16”.................16”
Sight Radius: ............21”...........17.75”.............17.75”
Forearm: --------- Polymer SIG TriRail --------Quad Rail
Rifling: ----------------------- 1 in 9” ------------------------
Weight w/o Mag.:.......7.2 lbs........6.8 lbs........6.8 lbs
Operating System:------- Gas Operated, Rotating Bolt ------
Magazine Capacity: 30 Rnds........30 Rnds........30 Rnds
MSRP ......................$1,299........$1,299........$1,799

From HERE

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:41:58 PM EDT
[#29]
sigforum.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/722107584

Here's what appears to be the 'straight skinny' with nice Pics....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Jeez - that is sweet ...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Are you trying to get your post count up, or were you trying to make a point, because nothing you just said relates to QC.

SIG has been building pistols in the USA for quite some time with parts imported from Germany. When is the last time you saw "made in Switzerland" on anything from SIG, so Swiss Arms doesnt really mean shit other than holding a patent at this point.

But since you have no confidence in SIG Arms USA and the American arms maker, just sell off your AR15's while you're at it, since they were made by Americans as well.

I was trying to be polite but I guess we can dispense with that.

Here are the two points you missed:

1) The Sig 556 is very different from the 550/1/2 in design and in who is doing the manufacturing. Swiss Arms is not Sig USA and Sig USA is not Swiss Arms. The quality of the 550/1/2 may or may not be indicative of the quality of the 556, you don't know until it is released.  

2) You have no first hand experience, maybe once you get some of your own experience your opinions may be a bit more useful or valid.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll buy that for a dollar!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#33]
"These three rifles are the first of several new SIG 556 models that are currently in development at SIGARMS. The wait is over. The new U.S. made SIG 556 begins shipping in late summer – because the time has come"

maybe they have somthing a little more traditional in mind, hopfully one of these will be more on lines with the originals looks

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Holy shit is that a TDI Arms stock on a SIG?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:40:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Holy shit is that a TDI Arms stock on a SIG?

looks that way
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Had a SIG pistol.  Great quality. Beautiful workmanship.  I have a Swiss K31 rifle, same deal. If you appreciate a fine watch then you will like SIG. I like to think we can get one for a reasonable price.  Plus, every new paramilitary firearm that comes out which is any good we should support, because there may come another time when we will not have such a luxury.
It is like exercising a muscle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#38]

I want it to look like the original God damn it, not some TDIed POS.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Well...I've been following this for a while now and all I can say is the new SIG 556 is a disappointment so far.  Why not keep the original folding stock?  We can only hope that they offer something closer to the original in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#40]
It looks like the original SIG rifles in-bred and this mutant is their off-spring.

I think I can say I'm scratching this one off my list for now.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#41]
That is not a Sig 551.  That is a turd.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:12:56 PM EDT
[#42]
I dont like the idea of having to remove the trigger hand off the grip to charge the weapon. It looks just like another AK variant to me.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Anyone notice how the A2-style FS is oriented differently in the various pics?

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I was under the impression that the FS on a Sig was supposed to be part of the barrel (integral)?  Seems like the civie model will allow for them to be swapped out...  wonder what the thread pitch is?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:58:48 PM EDT
[#44]
FUGLY. Looks completely ghetto (no offense) with the ribbed stock, the Batman grip, and the asinine Anime fore-end. Whomever hired the ghey Burmese (no offense) lingerie designer that put this package together needs to look for a new job. I've wanted a 551 for more than a decade, and this ain't it.

IMHO, of course.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:28:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Too ugly for me to own and that's saying something :)
Could be I'm just in shock because it looks like an airsoft because of the stocks.
The stocks do look like TDI or something worse.  I have wanted a SIG 550 series since I saw them in SGN in the 1980s, this thing due to the stocks makes me want to puke.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I dont like the idea of having to remove the trigger hand off the grip to charge the weapon. It looks just like another AK variant to me.

that's what the 550 family is a swiss made AK (variant)
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Good form SIG. The 556 aims for the heart of the AR15 community and does away with some of the 55x weaknesses (Proprietary mags, folding stock, cheap stamped metal) and adds the benefits of adjustable length of pull, quick barrel swaps, and the proven action of the 55x. I'm all for it.

Respect to SIG for breaking away from the traditional, supporting the civilian, spending money on R&D and bringing something new to the market.

I'm a fan and supporter. My planned AR15 projects will be on hold until I get my hands on the 556 SWAT

Not a huge fan of the stock, but that is sure to be fixed once the aftermarket gets ahold. And make no mistake, the 556 is going to due huge numbers, which means lots of aftermarket toys

The allure of the 416 and XCR just vanished from my mind. FN ARM should be next. SHOT SHOW THURSDAY

Plus it cuts down on the weight, which was a big complaint against the 55x

The S&W MP15 booth is going to be a lonely place at SHOT
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:13:54 AM EDT
[#48]
BOO!!!!

If I wanted out of spec rails and low grade AR accesories, I'd buy an AR and throw on some First Samco shit. I don't see the prices of original 550's being effected by this thing.

Ditch the shit grip, the shit forend, the shit non foldable AR stock, the shit receiver rail that uses horribly out of spec Picatinny rails, and I might consider it. I'd also like to see a 1/7 or atleast 1/8 twist ratio offered.

However, that has the appeal of a Tapco'ized AK to me. I guess I'd like it if I were desperate, but I'm not. This ranks at the top of my list for all time product let downs. I WOULD NOT pay over $1000 for that frankenSig abomination. What were they thinking.

Hopefully the after market will make some quality aluminum four rail handguards, an aftermarket stock and folding mechanism to replicate the old ones.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#50]
I can't believe the bashing this is getting!

A respected manufacturer decides to build a rifle with many of the features we pay extra for on an AR (and it's a gas piston design based off the AK...) for a VERY competitive price (contrast with the POF gas piston system @ $900 for the upper alone!) and all you guys can do is whine?

I personally hope they sell a ton of them, causing the aftermarket to kick in for quality parts, just like what's happened with the AR system...

Good on SIG for doing this. I'd love a 55X like they have in Switzerland too, but this is still really cool.

Some of you are just too pessimistic for your own good.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top