Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:03:37 AM EDT
[#1]
EXCELLENT work.  Thanks Chen!

Oh, plus the obligatory "I'm jealous you get to play with all the cool toys!"
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Dear Santa I know christmas has just past but due to the above pictures from the shot show and the number of items involved I felt you may need more notice this year.  Please have one of the above under my tree this year.  Thanks you................
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#4]
The coating used on the shiny bolt carrier assemblies, as well as the aluminum components, op rod assy, and other steel internals is a Nickel Boron coating called UltraCem.  A display detailing the coating is visible in the pic with Ken.  The website for UCT is www.uctdefense.com.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Whats the deal with the AUG, I'm sure it will never be offered to civvies, but it doesn't hurt to ask...

Thanks for the pictures, they're great!

Did I read "West Point, MS" on the side of that AUG?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Whats the deal with the AUG, I'm sure it will never be offered to civvies, but it doesn't hurt to ask...

Thanks for the pictures, they're great!

Did I read "West Point, MS" on the side of that AUG?

Yes you did... SMI USA, West Point, MS.  West point, Mississippi.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll split the lottery if someone can give me the numbers.

So many guns, not enough money
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dear Santa I know christmas has just past but due to the above pictures from the shot show and the number of items involved I felt you may need more notice this year.  Please have one all of the above under my tree this year.  Thanks you................

Fixed your typo.

Another Don
Oh, and Santa?  That goes for me too. . .

[edited 'cause I think this way is funnier]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes you did... SMI USA, West Point, MS.  West point, Mississippi.

Holy crap, I'm 50 miles north of there. Maybe some will fall off the back of a truck?

I thought someone said something about a gun company relocating to MS or starting up here but I couldn't remember if it was an actual human being or one of the radioactive squirrels in my yard.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Chen,

I've got some pictures of the SCAR-L and -H we had at our booth.  They're not cool new brown ones, and they had longer barrels during the show than most SCAR rifles, but if you want me to post them, I can.  I've also got shots of Armalite's SASS entry, from their booth and ours.  I don't want to get all up in your thread with my pictures, though, unless it's cool.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Will COLT produce a 20 inch barrel model ? thanks  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Chen,

I've got some pictures of the SCAR-L and -H we had at our booth.  They're not cool new brown ones, and they had longer barrels during the show than most SCAR rifles, but if you want me to post them, I can.  I've also got shots of Armalite's SASS entry, from their booth and ours.  I don't want to get all up in your thread with my pictures, though, unless it's cool.

those pics sound awesome... start your own thread with them.

thanks
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What really makes the gas piston better then the direct gas??  

first of all I think gas piston is a fad in the AR industry right now.. it is just the cool thing to have...

now my answer.. it might vary from Mr, Elmore...

Gas piston's only and I mean only advantage is ease of cleaning and longer frequency between cleaning.  

My MRP currently has over 1500 rds out of it... dirtier then heck... 1200 rds of it was shot in the rain and mud at a training class.. the sand that got into the gun is now like a fine sand paper, a light coat all over my bolt carrier.. the gun still shoots and it is still reliable..just a few spray of the now necessary SLIP 2000.

for military, the Gas piston is a God send... now the rear support troops won't have to wrooy as much about keeping their rifles cleaned... and the hard fighting soldier don't have to spend as long cleaning the rifle after a hard day's work... for spec Ops operator the gas piston solve the age long problem of short barrel rifles and shooting suppressed..other then that... what do you think the gas piston has over the direct gas?
especially for us civilian..

that being said.. if I have a chance to pick up a gas piston gun.... I take it... :), until then I won't spend 2400 on a HK M416 conversion package...just to say I have a gas piston upper.  

Chen, thanks again for the pictures.  Thanks for the above explanation too, but I'm curious why direct gas would be BETTER than a piston.  Do you feel that a piston is more likely to break in the long term?  It seems like if you can afford the piston version, there's no reason not to go for it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:46:20 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I attended the Shot this year and I have to thank a lot of great folks for putting up with me and my questions and my request for photo...

I also like to thank Rich and SWAT magazine for hosting a great party.

Shout out to a few great guys I finally get to meet in person.. It is always great to put a face to the name...

I had a great time and I hope to attend the show in Orlando next year.

Here we go on the first of three-part report...

At the Colt booth, the new gas piston M4 was on display.  I had a long conversion with Ken Elmore on this new system and it seem to be a very viable alternative to what HK or LW is doing... Colt is looking to release this system by the late 2006.  I think after the rush to be the first on the block, the price will stabilize and it could be a very good product for anyone looking for a monolithic platform gas piston AR.

photos.imageevent.com/smglee/shotshow2006/large/SS06-010.jpg
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/shotshow2006/large/SS06-011.jpg
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/shotshow2006/large/SS06-008.jpg
Ken Elmore posing with the new horse....
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/shotshow2006/large/SS06-011.jpg
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/shotshow2006/large/SS06-012.jpg
close up of the gas block/flip up front sight.
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/shotshow2006/large/SS06-012.jpg
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/shotshow2006/large/SS06-007.jpg
Close up of the bolt carrier group... the key is no longer screw in via the hex screw ala the standard carrier, the screws you see are merely a cover for what is a pressure fit pin underneath to keep the key from shearing off the carrier body.  
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/shotshow2006/large/SS06-003.jpg
Front loading gas piston much in tune with the SG551 or the FAL types.
a small push pin release the piston system.
a spring was also part of the kit but it was not in the photo.
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/shotshow2006/large/SS06-001.jpg
photos.imageevent.com/smglee/shotshow2006/large/SS06-002.jpg
The lower handguard is retained by a locking lever.

This concludes the Colt portion of the pictorial.

I WILL HAVE SEVERAL OF THESE  , I JUST HOPE THEY MAKE A 20 INCH GUN OR 18 INCH ?????
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Sweet thread. Thanks for the pictures.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:16:44 PM EDT
[#16]
How'd I miss this?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:51:07 PM EDT
[#17]
taggy
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:57:23 PM EDT
[#18]
COLT  DOE'S  IT AGAIN  , I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE ALL THE COPIES FROM BUSH ECT . COLT HAS HAD I PUSH ROD SYSTEM FOR YEARS JUST NEVER RELEASED  IT FOR SALE  .  THIS IS OUT OF THE BOX READY NO RAILS TO BUY NO SIGHTS TO BUY  , JUST READY TO SHOOT   !!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE PONY RIDES AGAIN  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:40:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#20]
tagged again for photos
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome!  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Awesome thread, thanks Chen!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Chamber the Steyr AUGA3 to shoot 6.5mm grendel, and you have the finest assault rifle in the world.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Holly crap. I know i'm late into this topic but when I saw that picture of Ken, reminds me of the good ole days of the great gun shows in cali. What is Ken up to these days? My dad bought a few rifles from him back in the day. That guy has the worlds deepest voice.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:18:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Damn, wish I coulda gone.  I really want to take a look at those Sigs and HK's in person.  They sound like they are really something!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Aren't you guys glad I brought this thread back up?
Link Posted: 4/24/2006 9:42:00 AM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 5/3/2006 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
REBAR!!!  

Are you serious? ?  

That thing looks like it can take a piece of 3/4" rebar.  I wouldn't dare fire a round into a 3/4" piece of rebar!!

Where are you going to be cutting through a piece of rebar that thick?  Is this for a swat team to cut the bars off windows and doors?  

I could see cutting a lock where one BANG and you're in 100% but I can't picture a situation where theres a single piece of rebar that big that you need to cut through and I sure wouldn't want to have to cut through 10.  

rebar is often used to brace doors in third-world countries... in all sorts of ways.  they also bend and weld it into decorative window gratings.

Often the concrete will be blown away, but the reinforcing bars will remain, and will impede progress. This is a field expedient way of dealing with them, rather than trying to cut them out the hard way.

They find a lot of other uses for it as well... you don't find a lot of steel-reinforced concrete in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top