Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2006 7:17:36 AM EDT
I cleaned my Bushy M4 the other day and when I was finished I chambered a round.  A few days later, a friend of mine wanted to look at something on my rifle.  So I pulled it out and kicked the chambered round out and handed him the rifle.  He said, "no, I want to see that round."  So I gave it to him.  He goes, "yep, it's doing the same thing to yours too."  I looked at the round and noticed that the primer is dimpled.  I reinserted the mag and chambered another round and then pulled it out and looked at it.  Same thing...It doesn't look like it's enough to fire the round off, but what if????  Anyone else have this happen?  Should I be concerned?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Should I be concerned?

nope.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#2]
its normal
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#3]
AGNTSA.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#4]
You should read the Ammo-Faq tacked to the top of the Ammunition forum.....

Mike
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the quick replies guys
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#6]
LUKE 77!!!
Thanks for asking that, it is something i noticed my AR doing a couple days ago, but i just hadn't asked yet, it being my first post 'n all.

Yes, First Poster!  Hello All!!!

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't listen to these guys, they are all crazy. You should send your rifle to me immediately for inspection. I can't tell you how long I will need to keep it, but be rest assured that you will be safe while it is in my possession.
P.S., you should send me the ammo too, just in case it's also defective. I'll make sure it is disposed of properly.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
LUKE 77!!!
Thanks for asking that, it is something i noticed my AR doing a couple days ago, but i just hadn't asked yet, it being my first post 'n all.

Yes, First Poster!  Hello All!!!

Welcome aboard,

See my comments above, as you should read it too......

Mike
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#9]
It seems the force of the bolt slamming that round home also sends the firing pin along its path and will slightly ding the primer unless carbon build up is in there, but always make sure you point that thing in a safe direction if you chamber a round in case it touches a sensitive primer. And I am sure you do ...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]
This is an incredibly serious problem and could lead to a kaboom.  Send the defective rifle to me for disposal...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't listen to these guys, they are all crazy. You should send your rifle to me immediately for inspection. I can't tell you how long I will need to keep it, but be rest assured that you will be safe while it is in my possession.
P.S., you should send me the ammo too, just in case it's also defective. I'll make sure it is disposed of properly.

Beat me to it!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#12]
AR15... it is a beautiful thing
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#13]
You can always just ride the bolt home with the charging handle.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#14]

You can always just ride the bolt home with the charging handle.  

Too many folks seem to induce malfunctions when that is done.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:39:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Accidental discharges do occur (though very rare) because of the firing pin striking the primer on loading.  The firing pin moves freely in the bolt and with enough force can ignite the round.  As posted earlier that may be due to a soft primer.  A solution that has been offered is NOT to charge the rifle with the barrel pointing down but rather horizontally or slightly inclined to reduce the impact on the primer.  Others have used a lighter weight firing pin i.e. titanium.   A very rare event but it does happen.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top