Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2006 9:31:27 AM EDT
Here she is, all the pieces finally put together. Now to order a IDF sling.

Mike

Link Posted: 10/5/2006 9:49:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Boy, there is a lot to like on a simple carbine like that.

I used a TA312 strap I had laying around for the sling on mine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice job, mvician!!

Check out DSGArms for your IDF Sling!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah, the beauty of simplicity. Very nice.

It does seem like there are a lot of exposed threads on the buffer tube, though. I'm trying to picture mine at home and I don't think that there are nearly as many exposed threads...
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 3:09:20 PM EDT
[#4]
SWEET!

Link Posted: 10/5/2006 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice.  What kind of bbl.
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
'It does seem like there are a lot of exposed threads on the buffer tube, though. I'm trying to picture mine at home and I don't think that there are nearly as many exposed threads...'

Looks about right - there's about 1/2" of thread showing on my carbine too, and I'm quite sure I have the buffer retaining pin captured.

BTW, what's the 'IDF' tie-in? Do they use A1s?
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice! Simple and to the point.
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]
paging Lumpy---

Could you please  post that pic of your M4/A1 hybrid on the gravel? I had meant to save it but when I finally went looking for it, I couldn't find it.

My favorite pic at Arfcom thus far
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice. I just finished one almost the same but, I used a RRA stubby stock.  I pick up my 16"Bushy loaded with rails, light, eotech forward grip etc... and it feels like I'm picking up an anchor.  All that crap adds weight quick!  I think I'll stick with the KISS premise for my next couple builds.
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
That gun is perfect!  LEAVE IT ALONE
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Cool, why are non-flat top uppers popular? It seems like a detachable carry handle would be the way to go w/ almost every build...
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you shot that yet??  I am having serious problems with a build that is using a Superior Arms blem lower...I am trying to figure out if it is the LPK or the lower.

Just curious.

BTW:  Nice gun.

I have basically that exact set up besides a few mods (grip, sling, etc)
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Cool, why are non-flat top uppers popular? It seems like a detachable carry handle would be the way to go w/ almost every build...

Be quite honest, I hate flat tops.
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 7:46:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be quite honest, I hate flat tops.

To be quite honest, me too!
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Flat tops tend to make me spend hundreds of dollars on BUIS, Aimpoints, etc.  A simple A1 upper makes it easier to leave good enough alone.
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't get me wrong, I like a nice simple rifle, I can't be havin' with hanging a bunch of shit on my rifle, and thats a sweeite you have there.  In fact I want to do somthing similar with an 11.5 inch barrel I have laying around.  But I HATE those bloody fiberlite stocks. The only thing worse is the old aluminum 4 position stocks and that's because they CLANK.  I can't get a consistant cheek weld on a fiberlite to save my ass.  Maybe it's just me, I dunno.
Q
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 10:22:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ah, the beauty of simplicity. Very nice.

It does seem like there are a lot of exposed threads on the buffer tube, though. I'm trying to picture mine at home and I don't think that there are nearly as many exposed threads...

Hmmm, now that you mention it, it is screwed in correctly...will check it against my other ones

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Nice.  What kind of bbl.

barrel is a Bushmaster 14.5 1/9 with perm attached Phantom 5C1

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

My 3 other ARs are flat-tops......there is just something about an A1 upper

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Have you shot that yet??  I am having serious problems with a build that is using a Superior Arms blem lower...I am trying to figure out if it is the LPK or the lower.

Just curious.

BTW:  Nice gun.

I have basically that exact set up besides a few mods (grip, sling, etc)

Haven't shot it yet, just finished this weekend. Between work and RAIN haven't had the chance to get out yet.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 10:32:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
only thing worse is the old aluminum 4 position stocks and that's because they CLANK.  
Q

that's what's on there.....a 4 position aluminum.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/5/2006 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
paging Lumpy---

Could you please  post that pic of your M4/A1 hybrid on the gravel? I had meant to save it but when I finally went looking for it, I couldn't find it.

Is this the one ? I save alot of pics Hope you don't mind Lumpy

Link Posted: 10/5/2006 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
'It does seem like there are a lot of exposed threads on the buffer tube, though. I'm trying to picture mine at home and I don't think that there are nearly as many exposed threads...'

Looks about right - there's about 1/2" of thread showing on my carbine too, and I'm quite sure I have the buffer retaining pin captured.

BTW, what's the 'IDF' tie-in? Do they use A1s?

They tend to rebuild the older receivers with newer barrels, stocks, ect.

Link Posted: 10/5/2006 11:38:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If you know you are just going to use iron sights, an A1 upper is more durable, lighter and better looking. It also doesn't interfere with access to the chargin handle.
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 3:48:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice KISS rifle!
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 5:35:08 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
That gun is perfect!  LEAVE IT ALONE

What he said. That is a sweet carbine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Lumpy was my inspiration as well
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Don't get me wrong, I like a nice simple rifle, I can't be havin' with hanging a bunch of shit on my rifle, and thats a sweeite you have there.  In fact I want to do somthing similar with an 11.5 inch barrel I have laying around.  But I HATE those bloody fiberlite stocks. The only thing worse is the old aluminum 4 position stocks and that's because they CLANK.  I can't get a consistant cheek weld on a fiberlite to save my ass.  Maybe it's just me, I dunno.
Q

Like the simplicity of these type of rifles, too. Almost all my AR's are setup with the KISS thought in mind. I'm with you on the collapsible stocks. I just use the shorter original M16 stocks on mine. Oh yeah, a very nice rifle you have there mvician

Rick
SGF, Mo.
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#30]
Q-Ball:

It's not just you. I've already replaced one collapisible with a Ace and plan on replacing another with a A1 buttstock.
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you know you are just going to use iron sights, an A1 upper is more durable, lighter and better looking. It also doesn't interfere with access to the chargin handle.

I think the flattops are better looking...but that's all opinion anyways.

How is it more durable?
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#32]
It lack A2 sights to come off track, and lacks screw on knobs to bend or unscrew.

Link Posted: 10/6/2006 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

All of my other ARs ARE flat tops, and are equiped with optics.

I built this gun with a completely different purpose.  First, its my dedicated truck gun.  Its simple and free anything to snag, and it was relatively cheap to build, so should it somehow get stolen or damaged, Im not out much.  Second, its incredibly light weight, so it serves as my field gun for short trips on foot.  

The key concept behind a KISS rifle IS simple.

Quoted:
How is it more durable?

It probably isnt any more durable, but one certainly doesnt have to worry about it coming loose.

Link Posted: 10/6/2006 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All of my other ARs ARE flat tops, and are equiped with optics.

I built this gun with a completely different purpose.  First, its my dedicated truck gun.  Its simple and free anything to snag, and it was relatively cheap to build, so should it somehow get stolen or damaged, Im not out much.  Second, its incredibly light weight, so it serves as my field gun for short trips on foot.  

The key concept behind a KISS rifle IS simple.

Quoted:
How is it more durable?

It probably isnt any more durable, but one certainly doesnt have to worry about it coming loose.

I like A2 sights.  Although I think everyone knows that because I take every opportunity to say it.

But I agree, there's less to get messed up with the A1 sights.  I think that's obvious, eh?
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 11:58:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Nice buller hose, there; I like Lumpy's bullet hose too. Very nicely done for both of ya.
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#36]
I like the A1 sights for rugged simplicity. But I like the A2s because I have a .22 Conversion kit.  If I set my A2 to 350 meters it's dead on at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 10/6/2006 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
paging Lumpy---

Is this the one ? I save alot of pics Hope you don't mind Lumpy

i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/Lumpy196.jpg

That's the one! My current inspiration for a work in progress. First, I picked up a detachable A1 carry handle from CNC Gunsmithing, then an Ameetec M4 lower. Might have it done by Christmas (if my 'rents send money---poor college student) My struggle is whether to get a CMMG 14.5 1/7 middy upper with perm. [qd sound-suppressor capable] phantom flash hider or a 14.5 1/7 carbine uppewr with the same fh. What do y' all think?
Link Posted: 10/7/2006 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Flat tops tend to make me spend hundreds of dollars on BUIS, Aimpoints, etc. A simple A1 upper makes it easier to leave good enough alone.

I was planning on the same build with an A1 upper, but I came across a deal with a Colt A2 upper and 14.5" barrel that was too good to pass up so I got it instead.  Same rifle basically, but A2 upper instead of A1, 6 position stock.
Link Posted: 10/7/2006 1:58:19 PM EDT
[#39]
            Years back my first AR was a flat top and most of the rest have fallen into line. I bought a Oly 9mm used and it was a fixed handle,if I had it to do again I would hold out for the flat top on that.
            This spring I treated myself to a Rock River National Match and I am just enjoying the heck out of shooting that gun.It has lit a fire under me to build/buy a no frills KISS weapon pretty much like what is going on here.
             No way am I going to sell my flat tops,I get too much use out of them but the knock aroung gun is calling out to me .
              I was at my club range and a fellow clubmember showed up with a bunch of his friends (college students ) and they were trying out his pistols and some old surplus stuff he had. the group were going at it like they hadn't shot much or at all. I was showing of some of my guns and as I uncased my RRNM this one girl just plain got all excited and dewey eyed, (did I mention that one of the reasons I was paying attention was that she was just plain smoking hot!) She claimed to have never seen a new AR before and it turned out she had done 2 years in the IDF before school (Yale no less!)
Wish I had had more time to talk to her.
           I hate a lot of the crazy shit that is going on in this world and don't 100% agree with all their politics but I have a lot of respect for the way the IDF is run and just get a woody with the way the IDF works the AR platform and makes it work for them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top