Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/12/2006 4:34:04 PM EDT
I am going to buy one of these AR-15's in the next month or so. I haven't had one yet but have done a little research. I am getting an A3 style 16" flat top with removable handle. I can get the Bushmaster or Armalite for just under $900 or a DPMS for about $850. Any opinions on Pro's and Cons? I am a believer in buying local as I value the assistance I get in person and these are the choices. I also am buying a complete rifle. I did s few searches and couldn't find any direct comparisons. I am leaning towards the Armalite because of the warranty, but I haven't read the fine print on what it covers. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 4:58:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You will do fine with either the Bushmaster or the Armalite, assuming all else equal I would buy the Bushmaster.......I would avoid the DPMS just because I believe that Bushmaster and Armalite do a better job of making AR's.
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had both the Armalite and now a DPMS. The Armalite(700-800 rds) has feeding problems with anything other than FMJ because the feed ramps do not meet the upper receiver. The DPMS(500-600) rds on the other hand has been 100% since getting it. I know I haven't been here long, but felt I should contribute here if possible. I have pics and am trying to post them.
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Pick RRA before any of the three..
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
1) Bushy, Stag, or RR
2) DPMS
3) Armalite

IMO
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
cant go wrong with any of them
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 5:25:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Bushmaster
RR
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#7]
DPMS seems to be making fine stuff now, but Armalite and Bushmaster seem to have a slight edge in reputation.

Between Armalite and Bushmaster, I'd pick Bushmaster, simply because I've had great experiences with Bushmaster customer service and terrible experiences with Armalite customer service.

Link Posted: 12/12/2006 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I would pick the Bushmaster.  Mine is very reliable.  I would not opt for an M4 type barrel.  I would go for Bushmaster's superlight 16".  It makes for a really neat little carbine.  One other thing to remember is that the Bushmaster barrels are chrome lined and the DPMS barrels usually are not.  This makes up for the $50 price difference.

Link Posted: 12/12/2006 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Is the Armalite warranty worth anything? Are there any mechanical differences or is it just fit and finish?
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 6:20:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 6:43:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Armalite would have a tighter fit and better finish than the other two carinbes.

Reliability and accuracy would be the same with each carbine.

Link Posted: 12/12/2006 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Bushmaster, Great Customer service
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Bushmaster, you will be happy!
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I plan on buying an Armalite because, well, it's an Armalite! If it doesn't look/perform up to specs, for me, the result will be a scathing letter. They are always promoting their 'original sin' knowledge of the AR, I say let them prove it! Besides, everytime I see that 'Sudanese pattern' AR-10 I get a woody.
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Of the brands you mentioned, Bushmaster is the only one that I have experience with and I highly recommend Bushmaster.

Over the years, I have seen too many spotty DPMS rifles owned by friends, and that kept me from even thinking about purchasing one.  I have heard things have changed, but I saw too many bad ones to warrant owning one at all.

Other brands that I currently own are Colt, LMT, POF, and J&T/Double Star.  IMHO, those are good alternatives too, but you will pay a hefty premium for three of those four
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I know, a name is just a name. Still, I think if a company is going to make the talk, they'd better walk the walk. No one is perfect, and personally I think any of the names mentioned would be good bets since they all have good reps. people here have had problems with all three however, so it's a matter of preference I guess. I have one RRA lower (being shipped as we speak I hope) and just bought a Bushy fluted barrel, which looks very pretty, and should shoot well. We'll see, but my point is, we go by rep, and yeah, I'd buy a Springfield M1 or M1a1. I'd just plan on putting some GI parts in it. I hate to say it, but I'd buy the Armalite just for the name on the receiver. I would however, count on it being at least as good as a Bushmaster or RRA.
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#20]
FWIW- I'd get the DPMS, but not for $850.  Go get a Shotgun News.  You can put together a DPMS M-4 clone for around $600 and have enough dough left over to buy an eothingy off the EE.
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 4:20:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd buy a Bushmaster.  Actually, I did buy a Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 5:20:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I have a Bushmaster Varmiter and a DPMS m4 and don't see alot of difference,but I have not put that many rounds thru either one yet,I don't think there is alot of difference any more just depends on what  you can get and learn to use it and you will be fine,thats my 2 cents worth anyway
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 5:46:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't feel that there's any qualitative difference between those brands. Buy the one you want, with the features you desire, at the lowest price you can find and you'll be happy.

Brewer
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 6:29:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Ive had no luck with my DPMS.  I pissed away $850 on this lump of steel and their customer service seems very reluctant to help.

Good news, I got a new one that works great.  CMMG
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Why were they reluctant to help?

Please explain...
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 8:35:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#28]
My personal preferences?  Of the ones you listed:

1) ArmaLite
2) Bushmaster
3) DPMS

If you want a true opinion?

Knowing what I know now, I would just build my own up using the parts from the top makers.  Doesn't save much, but it sure makes for a kick ass weapon.
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#29]
If you are wanting M-4 feed ramps on your rifle, the Bushmaster will not have them on an M-4 config upper while the Armalite does have them.  I have two Bushy uppers and one Armalite M-4 upper and the only problems that I have had, have been with two  Bushmasters.  With that said, I definitely like my current Bushy Superlight carbine upper.  I have not owned a DPMS rifle, so I can't comment on them.  If you get one, you may look at ordering it with a chrome lined barrel. Personally, if you are looking to spend around $900 (or more) for an AR, you may consider looking at some of the other alternatives as well like an LMT or maybe a BCM setup. If you buy the upper and lower separately, you should save some money on the federal tax.
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I guess I'm kind of leaning toward the Armalite right now. Mainly because they have been in business so long. I don't know that the warranty will ever be an issue, but that kind of helps too...especially hearing about some of the problems guys have had with all the brands. The shop that sells DPMS around here said it is a 12 week wait while the shop that sells Armalite and Bushmaster has them in stock. About the only universal opinion is that there isn't one. Any other thoughts are very welcome and appreciated...
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 12:50:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I've had three Armalites and two Bushmasters.  I traded two Armalites for an HK-91 and 2000 rounds of Hirt.  I sold the other one at a gunshow.  

I have never had any real problems with my Armalites. They make an extremely high quality rifle.

I still have the Bushys!

All of the rifles were purchased NIB.

My "Pre-Ban" Colt will be leaving next.......I need a DSA Congo.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#32]
I, too, am in the market and am strongly considering an Armalite because of the mid-length gas system. Also influencing my decision is that the A4 models come with a one-piece scope mount and all models now include Armalite's new 2-stage tactical trigger at no extra charge.

I have read mixed reviews on this website on Armalites, but then again I've read mixed reviews on every AR manucacturer out there.

The only other carbine I'm considering is the CMMG, but they do cost more.
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#33]

I guess I'm kind of leaning toward the Armalite right now. Mainly because they have been in business so long

You do realize that the Armalite of today bears no relation to the Armalite of old -

The Armalite name was purchased by the owners of Eagle Arms and the old moniker was reborn as their "premium" AR. I'm not trying to burst any bubbles, only to point out a common misconception regarding the history of the company.

Brewer
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 2:23:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 2:55:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks, No offense taken. I had found a few of those, but I was wanting to find out if there were any advantages of one over another. I'll start reading over the others you found for me. Thanks again.

Also, I have looked into buying seperate and assembling but it doesn't seem like much of a savings. I am mechanically capable and have alot of tools, though no specialty tools.
Link Posted: 12/13/2006 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Dont have any first hand experience with armalite, having owned a few bushmasters with no problem, they get my vote.
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#38]
urlosin, all three of those manufacturers make good ARs. You could not go wrong with any choice. The Bushmaster and Armalite names have probably been out there a little longer than DPMS. DPMS, in the early years, did have some QA problems. However, that has been remedied and they are now building quality ARs that are some of the best out there. When I was shopping for my first AR almost a year and a half ago, I researched Bushmaster, RRA, DPMS, Olympic Arms, and Colt. Of those, only Bushmaster and DPMS had what I was looking for. Between the two, I chose a DPMS Panther Carbine (HBAR 11.5" bbl w/ 5.5" FH) because I determined that I was getting more for the money. I am still convinced. I am 100% satisfied with the DPMS. I also have a RRA/STAG M4gery and the DPMS is still my favorite. After about 1000 rounds, it has never failed.

Right now, DPMS has some difficulty keeping up with market demands. That is why there is such a wait time on the DPMS AP4s. They are very popular. I can understand you wanting to purchase locally, but if you really want something that is not available locally, I say get from the source that has it. I have a local shop that I deal with and have spent in there nearly $4000 in the last couple of years. I usually try to give them first crack at selling me what I am looking for. If they do not have it, or cannot get it for a decent price, I will go to a source that can get it to me for a decent price. My loyality is to me first. Afterall, it is my money. Also, the warranty is from the manufacturer, not the local dealer. My understanding is the guys at DPMS are good about trying make things right. Fortunately, I have never had any issues, but from talking to them, they are more than willing to help.

There are a lot of biased opinions and some unbiased. Since I have never owned a Bushmaster or Armalite, I could not respond about their performance. I could only respond about the DPMS. I could respond about my RRA/STAG M4gery, but that is not what you inquired about. Good luck with your decision.

My DPMS Panther Carbine (SBR)
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 7:41:43 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Why were they reluctant to help?

Please explain...

It was my perception that they were reluctant to help.  I gave a detailed explanation of my problem, and their reply was that I needed some new springs.  I had clearly stated that I had problems from day one with new springs (presumably), and their response that I need new springs was not very thought out.  

Maybe their CS is very busy.
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I guess I'm kind of leaning toward the Armalite right now. Mainly because they have been in business so long

You do realize that the Armalite of today bears no relation to the Armalite of old -

The Armalite name was purchased by the owners of Eagle Arms and the old moniker was reborn as their "premium" AR. I'm not trying to burst any bubbles, only to point out a common misconception regarding the history of the company.

Brewer

Well, thats not entirely true. When mark bought the Armalite name, he also acquired alot of their drawings and engineering rights. A lot of the old guys from the original Armalite even came out to help with the new plant. How do i know?  I worked there for 3 years.  As far as the original post, you cant go wrong with any of the 3. The armalite fit and finish will be better and they have a lifetime warranty, but other than that buy wht you like.
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Whatever you do, don't buy the DPMS because, it will mean that there is one more rifle available to those of us who do like them. I've got two DPMS and the only problems I've ever had was due to cheap gunshow magazines causing failure to feed problems.

Doc
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Whatever you do, don't buy the DPMS because, it will mean that there is one more rifle available to those of us who do like them. I've got two DPMS and the only problems I've ever had was due to cheap gunshow magazines causing failure to feed problems.

Doc

I wish I were that fortunate.  Ive nothing but problems with mine.

However, I did put together an AR with a dpms lower and CMMG upper that, so far, has been flawless.  The finishes match very well also.
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I have 4 Bushmsters and 1 Colt.
At one time Ihad an Armalite AR10 but THAT IS ANOTHER STORY/

My vote is Bushmaster.

Good Luck and Merry Christmas
Bill

Keep Christ in your Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I own two DPMS rifles and they have both performed extremely well.  Thousands of rounds through both, in all kinds of weather and they have functined perfectly.  You can't go wrong with any of the brands mentioned.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top