User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2007 5:58:22 PM EDT
http://www.defenselink.mil/contracts/contract.aspx?contractid=3476

Is it true that Bushmaster is the only company in history beside Colt and FN to make M16 rifles and M4 carbines for the U.S. military?

Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:04:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Is it true that Bushmaster is the only company in history beside Colt and FN to make M16 rifles and M4 carbines for the U.S. military?

You forgot Mattel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

In short, no. Harrington and Richardson (H&R) made a lot of M16A1's...
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:11:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Well hot diggity!?

I didn't know they had a new contract!

Tex78
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:16:36 PM EDT
[#4]
is this true?
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Good for Bushmaster!
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:18:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Bushmaster Firearms International L.L.C.*, Windham, Maine, was awarded on March 12, 2007, a $5,411,132 firm-fixed-price contract for Bushmaster rifle with 20 inch barrels, Bushmaster carbine with 11.5 inch barrel, M16A3 spare 30 round magazines, Bushmaster rifle contractor support package, Bushmaster carbine crates for 11.5 carbines, crates for M16A3 spares, and crates for Bushmaster rifles. Work will be performed in Windham, Maine, and is expected to be completed by Nov. 20, 2007. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This was a sole source contract initiated on Feb. 11, 2005. The U.S. Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command, Rock Island, Ill., is the contracting activity (W52H09-07-C-0086).

Quoted:
is this true?

I suppose so, though I don't know where the OP's "only time in history" part is coming from.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Bushmaster Firearms International L.L.C.*, Windham, Maine, was awarded on March 12, 2007, a $5,411,132 firm-fixed-price contract for Bushmaster rifle with 20 inch barrels, Bushmaster carbine with 11.5 inch barrel, M16A3 spare 30 round magazines, Bushmaster rifle contractor support package, Bushmaster carbine crates for 11.5 carbines, crates for M16A3 spares, and crates for Bushmaster rifles. Work will be performed in Windham, Maine, and is expected to be completed by Nov. 20, 2007. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. This was a sole source contract initiated on Feb. 11, 2005. The U.S. Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command, Rock Island, Ill., is the contracting activity (W52H09-07-C-0086).

Quoted:
is this true?

I suppose so, though I don't know where the OP's "only time in history" part is coming from.

Hence the 20" Gov't Profile, A3, 1/7 Uppers that they had for sale?  
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Why do they have a contract for 30 round magazines when they don't even make their own?
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Seems logical to me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Seems logical to me.

Maybe they'll start offering more 1/7 uppers.  Wait, that would be bad for my wallet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

General Motors made M16s. Not sure if they started out as A1s or A2s but the ones Ive seen had FN A2 uppers on them and burst FCGs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

General Motors made M16s. Not sure if they started out as A1s or A2s but the ones Ive seen had FN A2 uppers on them and burst FCGs.

Cool. I never seen a GM when I was in, but definitely lugged an H&R around more than once.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:31:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why do they have a contract for 30 round magazines when they don't even make their own?

Not only does Bushy make thier own magazines, but the only one I have is split in the back because the welds broke after falling the height of the rocker on a hmmwv.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:32:59 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool. I never seen a GM when I was in, but definitely lugged an H&R around more than once.

Ive only seen one or two (I think maybe the same one twice). I'm not sure how common they are. Probably not very.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I could be wrong but the Army Tank and Armaments Command was the same "unit" that was specified as the purchaser of those Ruger .45 semiautos a while back. Those went to the Iraqi army. Maybe this Tank and Armament Command just buys all the weapons for the Army and its friends abroad, or these Bushys could be headed to some other country, ie Iraq. Someone smarter than I will be along soon to enlighten us all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I carried a GM (Hydromatic) M16A1 for a couple of years in the Guard.  It was a good rifle.  As I understand it they were built during Vietnam so the one I had had would have been pretty old...but it had had a refurbish and seemed almost new.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ive only seen one. I'm not sure how common they are. Probably not very.

Weird how odd weapons show up amongst the inventory of .mil units. I was in a Mech' Infantry unit (A/1-148IN) in the Ohio Army National Guard and our tracks n' trucks had AC Spark Plug made M2 .50cals  (WW2?) and the drivers/crew were issued as new M3 Grease Guns, yet our dismount Inf. weapons were mostly brand new.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Weird how odd weapons show up amongst the inventory of .mil units. I was in a Mech' Infantry unit (A/1-148IN) in the Ohio Army National Guard and our tracks n' trucks had AC Spark Plug made M2 .50cals  (WW2?) and the drivers/crew were issued as new M3 Grease Guns, yet our dismount Inf. weapons were mostly brand new.

Don't forget the Rock-ola(jukebox) M1 Carbines.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget the Rockola(jukebox) M1 Carbines.

Hehehe, I don't think we had any M1's at the Gaurd unit I was at circa' 94-95. Being a State Guard unit though, our armory was loaded to the gills with odd weapons. We  had those M3 Grease Guns (M3 & M3A1's), new and old mortars, the newer Infantry MTOE, and racks and racks of older Remington 870 shotguns for Civil Disturbances.

Back on topic though, I wonder what "Bushmaster rifle contractor support package" means. I am not up on Government Institutionalized Greek though, so it could mean anything.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8

height=8
Quoted:
is this true?

Ony company in history is a claim by the then president of Bushmaster/Quality parts made in the early BFI/QP #VII catalog.  He also claimed the lowers you could buy from BFI is the same lower provided to the US military except semi auto.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 7:05:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Did you see this contract on that page?  48.7 million for ammo which is part of a 298 million dollar contract...

AEY Inc.*, Miami Beach, Fla., was awarded on March 13, 2007, a delivery order amount of $48,717,553 as part of a $298,004,398 firm-fixed-price contract for various ammunition for the Afghanistan Security Forces. Work will be performed in Miami, Fla., and is expected to be completed by Dec. 30, 2008. Contract funds will not expire at the end of the current fiscal year. There were an unknown number of bids solicited via the World Wide Web on July 28, 2007, and ten bids were received. The U.S. Army Sustainment Command, Rock Island, Ill., is the contracting activity (W52P1J-07-D-0004).

As far as the Bushmaster contract goes.  Actually, Bushmaster lowers jumped up $49 in the last month at my LGS (who typically has great prices on everything - it's amazing) so this contract is most likely the reason.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Maremount Muffler Corp M60 machineguns, Singer Sewing Machine 45's, (L.C.) Smith Corona 03-A3's Lots of government contracts.  I never cared for Hydramatic M16A1's because they looked more like a turbohydramatic transmission's exterior than our Colts or H&R's.  The H&R's looked more like todays black duracoat finishes.  The Colt's were the cream of the M16A1's!
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 7:11:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I had the same thought... "contract overrun".
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had the same thought... "contract overrun".

Hehehe, I can see the ones from that special, now for sale in the EE, getting this info posted to the description in the near future, and the prices jacked 50.00-100.00 more.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 7:23:56 PM EDT
[#25]
In Before Scott Ryan and his Colt apologists
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#26]
As a contracting officer I'm more interested in why Bushmaster was awarded the contract as a sole-source.  The justifications for other than full and open competition are very restrictive (see FAR subpart 6.3) and come from the Competition in Contracting Act.  I seriously doubt that Bushmaster is the only company that can produce this rifle.

Here's a link to the contract award if you're interested

Link Posted: 3/28/2007 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not only does Bushy make thier own magazines, but the only one I have is split in the back because the welds broke after falling the height of the rocker on a hmmwv.

Unless something has changed recently, Bushy does not make its own magazines.  Every Bushmaster mag I've seen was either a Labelle or a D&H with a Bushmaster floor plate.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 7:29:36 PM EDT
[#28]
TACOM buying something does not mean that DOD is using it...TACOM buys the weapons for DOD and DOD supported groups like contractors, security guards, give away guns to host nations, etc.  

If we are giving rifles to the Afghans, I say, give the Bushmasters since I didn't like getting shot at by the ghanis and that way we won't have to worry about them getting off more than 1 shot

I am going to guess that these rifles are meant for some security contractors (gate guards) or for ost nation personnel.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless something has changed recently, Bushy does not make its own magazines.  Every Bushmaster mag I've seen was either a Labelle or a D&H with a Bushmaster floor plate.  

The magazines aren't necessarily manufactured by Bushmaster, rather Bushmaster is supplying the 8000 mags.  At $14.35 each I'd say they aren't manufacturing the mags themselves.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#30]
FMS sale to Thailand. Phillipines etc. Oman got some Carbon 15s that they're now less than thrilled with.

Simon
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Maybe now they'll start parkerizing under the FSB.......
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
In Before Scott Ryan and his Colt apologists

Lol

Check the papers tomorrow for people hurling themselves off buildings. The only thing the note left behind will say is "Bushmaster isnt Mil-spec. Never!"
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 8:53:44 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I could be wrong but the Army Tank and Armaments Command was the same "unit" that was specified as the purchaser of those Ruger .45 semiautos a while back. Those went to the Iraqi army. Maybe this Tank and Armament Command just buys all the weapons for the Army and its friends abroad, or these Bushys could be headed to some other country, ie Iraq. Someone smarter than I will be along soon to enlighten us all.

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!

These are not US military weapons and never will be.  They are weapons for some 3rd party.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 8:56:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
TACOM buying something does not mean that DOD is using it...TACOM buys the weapons for DOD and DOD supported groups like contractors, security guards, give away guns to host nations, etc.  

If we are giving rifles to the Afghans, I say, give the Bushmasters since I didn't like getting shot at by the ghanis and that way we won't have to worry about them getting off more than 1 shot

I am going to guess that these rifles are meant for some security contractors (gate guards) or for ost nation personnel.  

Glad to see 3 people in this thread that know what is going on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2007 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Are these goin g to be full auto or 3-shot or semi?
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 2:49:21 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Check the papers tomorrow for people hurling themselves off buildings. The only thing the note left behind will say is "Bushmaster isnt Mil-spec. Never!"

LOL. Might also read: "Give me Tier One, or give me death!"

That Tier One shit just wears me out...

Good shot, VB3...

Link Posted: 3/29/2007 2:56:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Good for Bushmaster!

But bad for us civilians .... that is if they start gearing all of their production toward the military contracts.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 4:13:39 AM EDT
[#38]
This contract is not for U.S. Military weapons, as has been stated. Colt and FN remain the only contracted suppliers of M4/M16 weapons to the US Armed Forces.

Nonetheless, any contract is obviously good news for Bushmaster. I just hope they put some of this contract money into improving their QC regimen. I will not buy a Bushmaster again (no matter what contracts they have) until they stop cutting so many corners on parts and assembly practices.

Brewer
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 4:29:48 AM EDT
[#39]
The "contractor support package" is the FULL technical data for the contracted weapons-blueprints, tooling requirements, QA standards, etc.  All of it.

Didn't TRW also make some M16s during the late '60s?  I have a Saginaw Steering Gear M1 Carbine, and would love to find an IBM that I could afford.  The "gold standard" for rare Carbines is Rock-Ola because they're cool (a gun made by a juke box company!) but there are more rare variants.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

No, in fact there is almost nothing true in this entire sentence.

Bushmaster has never made M16 rifles or M4 carbines, and probably never will.

FN has never made M4 carbines.

M16 rifles have also, as has been mentioned, been made by Harrington and Richardson and the Hydramatic Division of GM in the 1968-69 time frame.

TRW made M14s but never M16s.

Link Posted: 3/29/2007 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Are these goin g to be full auto or 3-shot or semi?

The contract says "M16A3" which would be a full auto (not burst).
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
The contract says "M16A3" which would be a full auto (not burst).

Read it again.  Neither the awards notice nor the contract itself ever uses the terms "M16A3" or "M4" in relation to the firearms being purchased.  They are a "Bushmaster rifle" and "Bushmaster carbine".  These are not military standard guns.

I would guess they are semi-auto for police or other government security forces, but that is just a guess.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#44]
FWIW....I was at Al Asad, Iraq last year.  All of the contracted stationary security personnel, (3rd World Nationals) carried BUSHMASTER rifles.

I believe these rifles are meant for them, or other security forces in the Middle East.  NOT US FORCES.

Major
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Aaaaahhhhhh shit here we go again...it is...it isnt...it was...no it wasnt...Ive seen 'em... no you havent...    this shit cracks me up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#46]
There was a segment on the radio this week about updating the Iraqi and Afghani national forces issued weapons from the AK to the M16.
This contract might be related to that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 9:22:03 PM EDT
[#47]
everytime one of these "do they or dont they" threads pops up i always post this:

The first M4 i ever carried and shot in the Marine Corps i was going through a school at Camp Lejuene and i was issued a bushmaster M4 with a fixed A2 carry handle. the finish was worn and it appeard to have had a hard life. it was semi/burst configuration.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hydramatic....

Vietnam-era

If you saw an A2, it was a retrofit...
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
everytime one of these "do they or dont they" threads pops up i always post this:

The first M4 i ever carried and shot in the Marine Corps i was going through a school at Camp Lejuene and i was issued a bushmaster M4 with a fixed A2 carry handle. the finish was worn and it appeard to have had a hard life. it was semi/burst configuration.

What did the lower say? From what I've read, Bushmaster supplied quite a few rifles built to M4 specs when the M4 platform was still in experimental stages.

They've been buying up lots of guns for 3rd parties lately. Ruger P95's, SIG SP2022's, Glock 17's, and probably alot more.
Link Posted: 3/29/2007 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#50]
fuck it, I'll take one!   add it to my collection.

peace!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top