Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2007 11:38:21 AM EDT
I have noticed that the locking lugs in front of the feed ramp on my Bushmaster XM-15 are consistently putting little gouges in my bullets as they are chambered.  This can't be enhancing my accuracy.

Is this a known problem?  What are workarounds?

Based on the design I don't see how they couldn't do this.  As the attached image shows, those grooves are clearly taking a little copper off of every round.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z209/dbooksta/ScratchingAR15small.jpg
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#1]

normal. don't worry about it.

as things wear, it should subside a bit, but any autoloading firearm will mark bullets in some way or another as a function of chambering that particular cartridge.

ETA: as far as accuracy is concerned, most people don't shoot well enough to have that affect their accuracy anyhow. not putting you down or anything, but it really won't make much of a difference.

Link Posted: 5/2/2007 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#2]
M16 family of weapons were ORIGINALLY designed to hit MANSIZED targets.  Affected accuracy will be minimal.  Are the billets "scratched" or actually "gouged"? as in chunks of copper?
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Up to now I've been using XM193, which I guess one would describe as only "scratched."

But I just started on a batch of Georgia Arms ammo with Hornady 68gr BTHPM and as you might be able to see in this picture I think it's rising to the level of "gouging."  And of course these are the ones I was hoping would get me below 1 MOA accuracy....

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z209/dbooksta/Scratched223.jpg

Link Posted: 5/2/2007 1:31:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont think it should be NORMAL

I dont think its from Dragging accross the luggs when ejected

I gun smith could fix the bur or do some grinding
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, its normal.  The rounds I load in my Bushy M4 look the same.
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#6]
My LMT must be Different
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, mine doesn't do that.  I get scratches, not gouges.
Link Posted: 5/2/2007 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, that looks kind of deep for scratches.

Have owned three other brands of AR's, but never a Bushmaster.

Link Posted: 5/2/2007 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
FYI, I called Bushmaster and they said, "That does happen where the feed ramps were broach machined for the bolt lugs to pass through. The sharp edges at the top of the feed ramps can be rounded over with a stone or a needle file to prevent the bullets from being marked. If you wish you can return the barreled upper to us and we will do that for you under warranty."
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top