Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2007 8:05:19 AM EDT
Is this a flash hider only or does it also reduce recoil? Our tactical team is looking at getting new rifles and want a compensator/hider that allows fast followup shots on target.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure about recoil, but the flash suppression works amazingly well.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Will not reduce muzzle climb, but it is the most effective flash hider currently produced (suppressors aside)
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:00:20 AM EDT
[#3]
It's simply a flash eliminator, it is not a muzzle brake.

Secondly, the AR has extremely limited recoil. Follow-up shots are not a large issue with the proper shooting techniques.

Are you speaking of double taps?

A good alternative may be one of the FSC556 by Primary Weapons Systems. They are a bit pricey, but they are dual function. Realistically. More money should be spent on ammo, and more practice. Accurate follow-up shots are not difficult with the proper shooting skill-sets.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW - I like the closed bottom Phantom from YHM.  BAsically as good as the Vortex at FS and closed bottom to help with muzzle flip.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#5]
GET the PHANTOM with closed bottom

CHEAPER, WORKS GREAT

WONT KICK UP DUST LIKE VORTEX
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't need a muzzle brake/compensator to do fast followup shots.

Get vortexes or phantoms.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1

Nothing comes close to the Vortex for flash suppression, but the 5C1 and 5C2 Phantoms are about the second best flash hiders and also work as comps.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1
Especially annoying if your shooting indoors.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I put a smith muzzle break on my clinton era colt. It is a little large and really makes a diffrence in muzzle rise ( what little there is) and worked pretty good as a flash hider. Sucker is noisy though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2007 9:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]
The smith is outstanding at eliminating the flash, and out at night here in Iraq when you dont want Haji to see exactly where your at thats a big plus.  As far as recoil and muzzle climb, not a big issue.  Work on basic fundamentals of shooting and with plenty of practice your fast rate firing wont be an issue.

The only downside I have experienced is bending one of the four prongs of my smith on the tailgate of my HMMWV, which took a little work to get it back in line.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:42:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Our crew chiefs had what appeared to be vortexes on our M240s...

Unfortunately I never got a chance to fire one...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top