Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2007 2:26:41 AM EDT
I know i do not read many posts on the Olympic Arms rifles. I have been looking at a new flat top AR made by them with the heavy bull barrel and free floated handguards for 699.00 . An Armalite is about 200.00 more. Any comments on the quality of the Olympic Arms would be appreciated. My Armalite has a carry handle and is not quite what i would like when it is scoped due to the position of the scope. It has been flawless since purchased 6 years ago. Thankyou for any input.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 2:48:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Mine works fine after 12 years XX thousand rounds.  No probs with fit or finish.  I shoot against others with more prestigious brands in matches and see no difference in performance.

On the downside, it doesn't garner me many tacticool points at the range.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 4:14:06 AM EDT
[#2]
My Olympic 16" SUM is one of the most accurate rifles I own.  1/4 MOA.

I've got 2 olympics... and I know several people with them.  No problems or complaints to report.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#3]
My $600 Oly Plinker Plus will do 1/2" groups with my favorite 223 handload and using a $20 Tasco on a cheap no-name mount from the 70's with a rough trigger. hter  

http://fototime.com/05FBBDEA0E7149F/orig.jpg
http://fototime.com/600BC4DB5A41880/standard.jpg
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 4:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I know i do not read many posts on the Olympic Arms rifles. I have been looking at a new flat top AR made by them with the heavy bull barrel and free floated handguards for 699.00 . An Armalite is about 200.00 more. Any comments on the quality of the Olympic Arms would be appreciated. My Armalite has a carry handle and is not quite what i would like when it is scoped due to the position of the scope. It has been flawless since purchased 6 years ago. Thankyou for any input.

There's at least one post a week about Oly's here.

What are you gonna be using it for? Depends on what features you want or don't want. There are mixed reviews everytime this comes up. I've experienced none of the issues the haters post about with my examples. I even used a K3B-M4 as my patrol rifle for a while & it never failed me as much as I used it. I can't speak for the quality of their earlier rifles. Mine are 2005 build.

One of the lowers holds one of my SBR's together now. There wasn't any issue with the 16" upper, but I started buying CMMG shorties which are built better than Oly. Many will tell you to stay away at all cost. I will tell you I've not seen any issues with them from my experience or any issues with a few of my co-workers that use them as patrol rifles.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely the best AR on the market......
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Oly PCR-4 20"----Tack Driver

Zero Problems for 5 yrs now....factory or reload ammo.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 5:25:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I am more confused now than when i started this thread. Maybe i should stick with Armalite which i know from personal ownership build a top notch AR. I know Sportsman's Warehouse here will not even stock them and i live in Washington State so i guess that should tell me something. I love the Armalite i have with the carry handle and it shoots less than 1 inch groups with the right load using TNT 50 grain bullets. It does not do as well with the boat tails and i am told the muzzle break could have something to do with that but again i am not an expert in the AR field. Thanks everyone for the input. Maybe save the xtra 200.00 for the Armalite at a local dealer here.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 5:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am more confused now than when i started this thread. Maybe i should stick with Armalite which i know from personal ownership build a top notch AR. I know Sportsman's Warehouse here will not even stock them and i live in Washington State so i guess that should tell me something. I love the Armalite i have with the carry handle and it shoots less than 1 inch groups with the right load using TNT 50 grain bullets. It does not do as well with the boat tails and i am told the muzzle break could have something to do with that but again i am not an expert in the AR field. Thanks everyone for the input. Maybe save the xtra 200.00 for the Armalite at a local dealer here.  

That'd of been my 1st instinct. Remember you often get what you pay for. Companies you pay a little more for manufacture quality equipment, and if that equipment happens to malfunction they're more apt to assist you in fixing the problem. Thats why I love CMMG, amazing company, hands down.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 5:57:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Older ones had some issues, newer ones are pretty good.  I have had more problems with Bushmaster, Ameetecs, and Armalite than I have had with the Olys.  I have an older Oly which was my first AR that is rough....painted lower and all, but has functioned flawlessly.  I have 5 Olys, 7 Bushys, 2 Colts, 1 Armalite, 1 DPMS and 4 Ameetecs....just for reference.

Most people that knock them have never had one, there are problem guns with all companies.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a friend get in a bind and he had to get rid of an Oly A2. I bought it off of him for $600.00 and have put a couple hundred dollars into it to get it in the shape I want for shooting. Take in concideration that the only major component that isn't factory Oly part is the DPMS A3 upper (stripped). I recently shot a 2.5" group at 500 yards while firing off of a Harris bipod and a set of homemade sand bags. I am mighty proud of my rifle, even if it is an OLY! The only issue that I have encountered is on occassion it will set bullets back into the case when loading them into the chamber, but this only happens with certain ammo, which I stay away from now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 6:05:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Please note, when I post that long list of bad experiences with Oly, there is nothing in there that says Oly makes an innaccurate rifle.
Unfortunately, it seems that people confuse accuracy with quality.
Olympic may be a fine AR15 to have for plinking so you can say "I have an AR15."
But when you can build a rifle that is WORLDS ahead of an Oly for the same/slightly more, why bother buying an Oly?

I'm sure Oly puts out a good rifle once in a while...but they also put out a lot more POS than other companies.
It is just not worth the trouble/stress to buy something that could have so many potential problems.

Buy quality once, cry once.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That'd of been my 1st instinct. Remember you often get what you pay for. Companies you pay a little more for manufacture quality equipment, and if that equipment happens to malfunction they're more apt to assist you in fixing the problem. Thats why I love CMMG, amazing company, hands down.

My apologies for the thread jack, however, I must concur.
I like all of my guns of various brands, but I must say that CMMG is quickly becoming a front runner in this industry IMO. What the future holds, I dunno, but I prolly won't buy another rifle other than CMMG after having purchased a couple almost 6 months ago. Outstanding rifles. I pray that CMMG can keep up with the recent demand & keep building on their success.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My Olympic 16" SUM is one of the most accurate rifles I own.  1/4 MOA.

....quote]

Is this one shot or 2?
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ive heard plenty of bad stuff about Olympic , but the few that have good ones are posting here Ide guess.. Armalite is a much better product ,,, then Bushy then DPMS IMO

I got some good deals with DPMS..
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 8:15:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Im not a cool aid drinker of ANY brand,  I own a 20" SUM oly A-4 upper (that I got on a trade)  on a RRA lower with a jewel trigger.. I did a lot of reading about OLY and it seems to me that they had a lot of trouble in the past but have since realized and cleaned their act up, Their website even tries to promote that they "are a new Company"  .

So take That for what its worth.. The only problems Ive had with my Oly upper are a few hiccups here and there, with my handloads, but that is to be expected when using reloads in a semi-auto.  I will tell you that it is very accurate, and at the moment it really shoots better than I can shoot it..

SO if you are depending your life on it, dont buy the OLY ... if your plinking or varmint hunting go with a Oly-SUM heavy barrel.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I have heard they had a lot of trouble.  maybe they got better.  they are still around so that says something i guess.
i have RRA and Spikes tactical along with stag upper.  Stag is okay, but I can tell the RRA is better quality.
I think LMT makes an excellent rifle.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 8:54:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
They are still around so that says something i guess.

So are Loricin, Jennings, Phoenix, Todd Bailey, and Vulcan Hesse.
The only thing it proves is that most people want a cheap product, not a quality product.
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 9:06:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Mr. Doc308, do you own a Olympic Arms AR-15?

I have seen you post the MarkM post bashing them quite a few times now.  I have known many people that have newer Oly Arms with no problems what so ever.  There are way more satisfied customers out there than not.  

MY Olympic Arms has never failed me in any way.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2007 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#19]
meso-meso for me
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top