Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2008 11:59:13 PM EDT
Spoke with Bill Alexander at SHOT today. He said he was going to bring back his 5.45x39mm AR uppers. So, for all of you looking to be able to shoot all of that super inexpensive Com Bloc 5.45 surplus on the market there will be an AR to do it in. Said he was going to see about getting a high capacity AR mag produced in 5.45...

what do you guys think, with surplus 5.45 7N6 running like $129 per 1,000 rounds, does a 5.45 AR upper interest you at all??

Link Posted: 2/3/2008 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah. I was already investigating AR barrel blanks to build one. It would be nice if someone would make it easy on me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 12:53:44 AM EDT
[#2]
This would own. Totally.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 1:45:40 AM EDT
[#3]
It definatly would be something to look into,especially if it turns out to be accurate and reliable. Hopefully if it comes to fruition the ammo for it won't go up in price.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 1:47:54 AM EDT
[#4]
cheap ammo to play with and I don't think that the zombies are going to care what caliber i shoot them with so GAME ON!  

I'll buy one or two for that matter.....

S
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 2:05:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Another ammo to horde Don't tell too many people or prices will jump.

It would be great to see all ammunition prices drop, but i will take one mainly because of the price of ammunition.  

Mike
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 3:52:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Did the nice man with the cool accent say anything about how much his uppers would cost?  He makes great stuff, but you pay for his quality...
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 4:02:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I would take one or two, what would be the price?
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 4:04:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm in for sure!

Link Posted: 2/3/2008 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Hell yeah I'd be in for one.  The ammo has remained cheap but I can't find anything quality to shoot it out of.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 1:59:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Aw HELL YEAH!  Put me down for at least one!
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Damm straight! I'm in for 1
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#12]
isn't all of the 5.45 ammo corrosive?
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 2:33:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't know-never heard that one.  But who cares?  If you've got hot soapy water, then why worry about corrosive ammo?  Seriously, if you can fire corrosive ammo in a Garand and get it all clean (you can!) then an AR platform should be no problem.  It'd be a plus if the bore was chromed, but even if it wasn't, just be nice to the rifle.

Oh you got me on a rant and spoiled my "I'm gonna get an Alexander Arms upper!!!!!!" buzz.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Not all of it. The cheap 5.45 is. The non-corrosive 5.45 price is in line with 7.62 non-corrosive from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yes, it is. Make it a piston upper!
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooo in for one!!!!!

Slug-O
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 3:44:06 PM EDT
[#17]
CProducts could probably make the mags.

I'm interested in a 5.45 AR upper.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#18]
By the time they get it in production and produce any measureable amount, all the cheap corrosive 5.45 will be gone.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Who wouldn't want one seems to be the question. I'll take two, if the price is righthe
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#20]
YEP! I'll take 2  - I shoot corrosive 7.62X39 in my AR's all the time.  Only part you can't clean real well is the gas tube.  If it ever rots thru, its an easy fix to replace it. -  Looks like CProducts is going to get more of my $$$, would probably be an easy modification for them, to have their new 7.62x39 mag handle 5.45x39. - This thing might come together quicker than I figured.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 5:30:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Wolf's commercial 5.45 is non-corrosive. But all the military surplus 5.45 is corrosive......

but you could stack some serious away at the current price of surplus compared to 5.56 and burn it through a 5.45 upper.

Maybe he will offer barrels and bolts seperately and then we could just build our own....
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 5:34:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
YEP! I'll take 2  - I shoot corrosive 7.62X39 in my AR's all the time.  Only part you can't clean real well is the gas tube.  If it ever rots thru, its an easy fix to replace it. -  Looks like CProducts is going to get more of my $$$, would probably be an easy modification for them, to have their new 7.62x39 mag handle 5.45x39. - This thing might come together quicker than I figured.
I think we'll all be dead and gone before anything from a cartridge's gases eats through that stainless gas tube.
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Damn now I have two uppers to buy from AA, 6.5Grendel and .221Ghenghis
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm in for one if it goes to market...got a bunch of 5.45 already, but no rifle at the moment
Link Posted: 2/3/2008 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm IN!
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
By the time they get it in production and produce any measureable amount, all the cheap corrosive 5.45 will be gone.

Do what I did - buy a bunch now and stockpile it - I've bought 10,000 rounds recently and it made a lot less of a dent in my wallet than a comparable amount of .223 would.
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 10:55:08 PM EDT
[#27]
spoke with a well known magazine manufacturer at SHOT. They already have plans for a 30 round 5.45 mag for the AR and have already done much of the work. This may not take as long as some think....

I also spoke with them about just offering bolts and barrels so people could build their own. Looks like this will happen as well........
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 5:32:25 AM EDT
[#28]
AA already made them in the past so it should be relatively easy to get them going again.  I would buy two of them if they did actually start making them again, shooting an AR for 10cents a pop would be pretty cool.

EDIT:  I just called AA and was told they dont have any plans to bring it back out.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 6:36:55 AM EDT
[#29]
hell, i might be interested
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 6:37:32 AM EDT
[#30]
cost comparison?
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 6:40:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
cost comparison?
thats my only wory, cost. my next buils is gonna be a precision rifle....how would 5.45 do with that? is it a accurate round?
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
AA already made them in the past so it should be relatively easy to get them going again.  I would buy two of them if they did actually start making them again, shooting an AR for 10cents a pop would be pretty cool.

EDIT:  I just called AA and was told they dont have any plans to bring it back out.  

One of two things - either the person you spoke to doesn't know of the plans, or they are keeping it quiet for now to make sure it all can be done properly.

Of course, they could have just decided to not do it at all for various reasons.  Things are never 100% in this industry.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 6:54:02 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
cost comparison?
thats my only wory, cost. my next buils is gonna be a precision rifle....how would 5.45 do with that? is it a accurate round?

If you are interested in a "precision rifle" (depends on your definition - to me, a precision rifle means something that has the potential of less than 1 MOA) then no, it isn't a good choice.  It is a decent "battle rifle" round, with properly handloaded ammo and a very good barrel and rifle, you could probably get 2 MOA out of the 5.45x39 round.

But honestly, this project is more for people like me who have tons of the surplus ammo (cheap compared to 5.56) and who want an additional platform so that they can train with their ARs in a much less expensive fashion, but still have a battle round - unlike using a .22 conversion kit to practice with.

Link Posted: 2/5/2008 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#34]
The following was posted by MartyW in this thread:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=326139&page=16

"We continue to fight issues with extraction on the barrels ... they feed fine, fire fine, but even with Crane O-rings, there appears to be something about lacquered steel cases and steel chambers ... As it stands right now, I don't feel we could offer these barrels with a clear conscience, knowing they are prone to FTE issues. We are going to complete the SS barrels we are working on (already bespoke), but after that, we will more than likely abandon this caliber... between the availability of the AK74 and the reliability concern, we simply cannot justify it ..."

If Marty can't make it happen reliably I will believe it when I see it.  I would really love to see these successfully go into production as it would be absolutely awesome on the 16.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 7:13:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
cost comparison?

If you are interested in a "precision rifle" (depends on your definition - to me, a precision rifle means something that has the potential of less than 1 MOA) then no, it isn't a good choice.  It is a decent "battle rifle" round, with properly handloaded ammo and a very good barrel and rifle, you could probably get 2 MOA out of the 5.45x39 round.

But honestly, this project is more for people like me who have tons of the surplus ammo (cheap compared to 5.56) and who want an additional platform so that they can train with their ARs in a much less expensive fashion, but still have a battle round - unlike using a .22 conversion kit to practice with.

i dont make much money, so cheap is good to me . hell, i might just buy an upper, if it will fit on my current lower
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
cost comparison?

i dont make much money, so cheap is good to me . hell, i might just buy an upper, if it will fit on my current lower
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The following was posted by MartyW in this thread:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=326139&page=16

"We continue to fight issues with extraction on the barrels ... they feed fine, fire fine, but even with Crane O-rings, there appears to be something about lacquered steel cases and steel chambers ... As it stands right now, I don't feel we could offer these barrels with a clear conscience, knowing they are prone to FTE issues. We are going to complete the SS barrels we are working on (already bespoke), but after that, we will more than likely abandon this caliber... between the availability of the AK74 and the reliability concern, we simply cannot justify it ..."

If Marty can't make it happen reliably I will believe it when I see it.  I would really love to see these successfully go into production as it would be absolutely awesome on the 16.

How do AK74s work then?  Chrome chambers?  Just wondering.  Maybe AA can do whatever the AK74s do to run reliably.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Hope they don't go through with this. Really don't want to see 5.45 go the same way as 223.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 7:37:23 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How do AK74s work then?  Chrome chambers?  Just wondering.  Maybe AA can do whatever the AK74s do to run reliably.

Chrome barrels and chambering, as well as looser tolerances, and perhaps the gas piston system of the AK helps as well.

I was hoping for a gas piston AR upper in 5.45x39 with chrome - that would be awesome.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I shoot lacquered Barnaul through an AR15 and do not have any problems so hopefully it isnt too big of an issue.
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Marty and his gunsmith did some investuhgatin' and we might have figgered somethin out ... going to take a little but it might just work ...

Link Posted: 2/5/2008 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Marty and his gunsmith did some investuhgatin' and we might have figgered somethin out ... going to take a little but it might just work ...

We love ya, Marty (in a strictly platonic, male-to-male backslapping, non-sexual way) - keep up the good work!

Link Posted: 2/6/2008 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OH SHIT!!  How do I get in line for one?
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 5:06:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Has anyone heard anything on this?
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 8:02:12 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Has anyone heard anything on this?

I've heard nothing
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Two words:

CHROME LINING
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#47]
If it means anything?? impactguns.com shows the Alexander Arms .21 Genghis /AR-15  uppers for $568.00 - Shows Out of Stock & Accepting Orders - Hope they have some to sell when spring gets here, I would like to try a couple!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
If it means anything?? impactguns.com shows the Alexander Arms .21 Genghis /AR-15  uppers for $568.00 - Shows Out of Stock & Accepting Orders - Hope they have some to sell when spring gets here, I would like to try a couple!!

impactguns is accepting orders on everything they ever carried even if the thing was banned and it would take the overthrow of the ATF to get more in stock.  They arent getting any Genghis uppers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Lets wait and see.

I would think that switching the follower in regular mags might allow 5.45 to work.
Link Posted: 3/6/2008 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#50]
height=8
Quoted:
YEP! I'll take 2 hootWho makes the 7.62x39 uppers?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top