BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2008 1:38:32 PM EDT
I just got my first AR yesterday, a Bushmaster. I'm looking to color in the engravings such as safe, fire, .223, etc...I tried doing it with fingernail polish and fingernail polish remover like I did with my Glock. When I went to take the white fingernail polish off it left a white residue around the words.

Anyone got any suggestions??
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
damp q-tip rub lightly working your way out from the lettering
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#2]
get a box of crayolas and a hair dryer

Link Posted: 2/19/2008 2:04:08 PM EDT
[#3]
thats the answer I was looking for, I knew it was something to do with crayons. Can someone give me a quick runthrough on how to go about doing it?? Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I see your Crayolas and raise you a bottle of Testor's enamel...

Link Posted: 2/19/2008 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

www.imageviper.com/displayimage/109273/0/lmybushy4.JPG

always have better results, and lasts longer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 3:12:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

www.imageviper.com/displayimage/109273/0/lmybushy4.JPG

+1

Link Posted: 2/19/2008 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
How do you keep get the paint off of the surrounding area?
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 3:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1 I am curious too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 3:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I am curious of that also.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#10]
+1

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 I am curious too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I did mine last nite and gonna do my son's rifle tonite I used water washable craft paint, I took a tooth pick dabbed it in the etching then took a damp paper towel and wiped the excess away,I figured that if crayons worked craft paint would be better than that, but probaly not as good as testors,only time will tell how long it will last but water clean-up is easy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I used grease pencils and so far, mo problems with the stuff falling off. Pretty sturdy and the excess is eqasy to remove.

Link Posted: 2/19/2008 4:26:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I did my Glock yesterday using a $1.90 bottle of Plasti-Kote "Insignia Red" and a "Gloss White" from Wal-Mart.

Looks real nice.  Did my 10/22 also.  Will have to post some pics to the refinishing forum when I get around to it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 6:16:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Crayons are easier and seem to hold up quite well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#15]
The grease pencil looks good,I like the bright colors.
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Crayons are easier

Nope. Good crayon jobs I have seen were done by cramming the crayon in to the rollmarks, carefully scraping away all the excess wax, then using a heat gun to warm everything up until it flows well.

The paint method is so simple it is funny. You literally get a drop of paint on a toothpick, then just barely touch the drop to the rollmark. The paint instantly fills the rollmark like water running down a gutter. The only "wiping of excess" needed is just the spot on the receiver where you touched the drop to the rollmark. That's it. It wipes off with a shotgun patch moistened with CLP. The Bushy lower I posted above was done in about 2 minutes from start to finish...
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 7:17:08 AM EDT
[#17]
All of this sounds good and I want to do it, but what is the life on each method.  Will it come off when solvent gets on it, how often does it have to be redone.  What  about heat shooting at the range. I like to take a good hour or two cleaning my AR, because I'm a freak!,  always giving the outside a good Rem oil rub down.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#18]
The rollmarks are deep enough that wiping the receiver with solvent doesn't really upset the paint. My rifles are used at indoor and outdoor ranges only, and don't get dragged through mud or water like duty weapons might. A simple wipe-down is all that is usually needed to clean the surface of the lower. If any paint comes off (hasn't yet), it is easy to touch up. Besides, who paints the rollmarks on a duty gun?

You could seal in the Testor's paint with some clear nail polish or other lacquer paint, but I like to have the option of removing all the paint if I want to. This is easily done with some paint thinner and a toothbrush...
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 7:33:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks FYRARMS

and yes it is going on my duty/ instructor rifle,  I just want to be the baddest looking mo fo out there  Plus if the bad guy can see he is about to get a full auto burst my be he will shit his pants  
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#20]
LOL!
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Now this is some good ifo. Thanks bin kicking it around to do some my self.
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The grease pencil looks good,I like the bright colors.

+1
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Testor paint is the only way to go imo...

Link Posted: 2/20/2008 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Now this is some good ifo. Thanks bin kicking it around to do some my self.

Yeah, I was surprised at how easy it was to do a professional-looking job.

FWIW, I found it easier to use paint rather than crayons.  I've done both.
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
+1

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 I am curious too.

IF your lower is hard black annodized, (MOST ARE) you can remove the excess paint residue with a fine scotch brite (WHITE) and a little alchohol. the annodize shouldn't scratch. if it does, you are using the wrong Scotch Brite. This might work on composite too but I dunno.

The paint on the tooth pick method sounds like the best method.
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#26]
crayons.  Jesus.

What do POF and the real H&K use?
Link Posted: 2/20/2008 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#27]
A couple recent projects using Plasti-Kote paint from Wal-Mart:

Link Posted: 2/21/2008 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 I am curious too.

IF your lower is hard black annodized, (MOST ARE) you can remove the excess paint residue with a fine scotch brite (WHITE) and a little alchohol. the annodize shouldn't scratch. if it does, you are using the wrong Scotch Brite. This might work on composite too but I dunno.

The paint on the tooth pick method sounds like the best method.

The best way is to let it dry for only about 10 minutes and then just buff it out very lightly with a shotgun pad using a drop of CLP and a drop of paint thinner. buff in a circular motion and do it very very lightly. use a tooth pick to scrape off any thicker stuff 1st.
Apply the paint with a very fine paint brush; i tried tooth pick and it didn't work so well for me...
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 3:14:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/24/2008 3:34:18 PM EDT
[#30]
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7778

LACQUER-STIK

Hi-Lights Engraving, Stamped #'s And Names

Highly specialized compound wipes on to bring out stamped or engraved impressions on ALL smooth surfaces. Ideal for guns, parts, accessories. Semi-solid in stick form when used, but soon hardens and becomes permanent.

SPECS: 4-5/8" (11.7cm) long. Red, White, Gold, Black or Silver.

I use these from Brownells, haven't had any problems with them
Link Posted: 4/17/2008 12:43:51 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
LACQUER-STIK

Hi-Lights Engraving, Stamped #'s And Names

Highly specialized compound wipes on to bring out stamped or engraved impressions on ALL smooth surfaces. Ideal for guns, parts, accessories. Semi-solid in stick form when used, but soon hardens and becomes permanent.

I use these from Brownells, haven't had any problems with them

This is what I did, but I got my lacquer sticks from a local hobby shop. Total came out to ~$5

Here's my result:

Link Posted: 5/7/2008 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#32]
not to thread jack, but how do you preform each method, I understand the tooth pick just not the crayons and such.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Just colored mine tonight using a hair dryer and crayons. Came out real clean and nice looking. I found that the the trick is to cram the crayon into the engraving, then get the metal nice and warm. While keeping the hair dryer there use a cleaning patch and wipe over the engraving to clean it up. Then just set it aside and let it dry.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#34]
wellll i tried the dipping a tooth pic in the paint method and it worked ok....but does someone want to explain to me why part of it turned pink...............................the rest looks kinda sloppy cause i was wiping it off trying to get the pink out. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v680/FerShazzle/P1010007.jpg
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Crayola time!

Link Posted: 5/12/2008 8:47:06 PM EDT
[#36]
You guys are surely tired of my photos, but here is my Testor's work again...

Link Posted: 5/12/2008 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#37]
yeah...the testor's looks like a good idea. what do you use to apply it? just a toothpic?
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 7:20:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
yeah...the testor's looks like a good idea. what do you use to apply it? just a toothpic?

Toothpicks wouldn't give me a big enough droplet, and the drop wouldn't stay on the tip very long without falling off early. I ended up using "microbrushes", which will hold a drop of paint all day until you touch the drop to the receiver. Works perfectly!

Link Posted: 5/13/2008 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You guys are surely tired of my photos, but here is my Testor's work again...

www.imageviper.com/displayimage/99411/0/testors7.JPG

Looks real good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#40]
try this out

http://www.micro-tools.com/store/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=L51120
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#41]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Toothpicks wouldn't give me a big enough droplet, and the drop wouldn't stay on the tip very long without falling off early. I ended up using "microbrushes", which will hold a drop of paint all day until you touch the drop to the receiver. Works perfectly!

mmk. that sounds like a good idea. thanks!

i was havin a little trouble with the toothpics anyways. as you can see the spike's symbol is pretty intricate...
Link Posted: 5/13/2008 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#42]
height=8
Quoted:
All of this sounds good and I want to do it, but what is the life on each method.  Will it come off when solvent gets on it, how often does it have to be redone.  What  about heat shooting at the range. I like to take a good hour or two cleaning my AR, because I'm a freak!,  always giving the outside a good Rem oil rub down.  
Well most people have no complaints about either one coming off.

However I would expect the Crayons to not be very durable.  Crayons begin to melt at only 105° Farenheit (according to Crayola).  I can leave a crayon outdoors in the summer and when I come back it'll be a puddle of liquid wax.

Maybe it's just me but I don't want ANY part of my gun melting just from outdoor temperatures.  Even if it's a superficial part.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 8:06:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
i was havin a little trouble with the toothpics anyways. as you can see the spike's symbol is pretty intricate...

Check my Bushy pic above. The rollmarks are very shallow and thin. The Testor's filled them up nicely. You can even make out the small Bushmaster text and trigger on the bullpup rollmarks inside the snake logo.
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 1:59:39 PM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Quoted:
Check my Bushy pic above. The rollmarks are very shallow and thin. The Testor's filled them up nicely. You can even make out the small Bushmaster text and trigger on the bullpup rollmarks inside the snake logo. i guess you know what you're doin. i'll have to pick some of that stuff up. thanks again!
Link Posted: 5/14/2008 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#45]
I use the brownells lacquer crayons and they work great. Just need some mineral oil to remove the excess
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#46]

ETA- LOL! Crayola
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I tried to do my RRA today with the Testers paint.  Didn't go so well.  I bough thte smallest brush they had at teh Hobby store but when te drop filled in the "S" in Safe, it went outside of the engraved sopt.  I cleaned it all up but I'm not sure what to try next.  They didn't have any of those microbrushes.  So would a toothpick be my next best thing??

Also, I have an older RRA (early 2003) and the engraving on the name is not as deep as the SAfe and Fire.  Any tips on how to do it?
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 7:20:08 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
it went outside of the engraved sopt.  I cleaned it all up but I'm not sure what to try next.

a) That's okay if it goes outside the grooves. If you have Q-tips handy, use one like a sponge and touch the excess paint in and around the "S". It will remove a lot of it.

b) Dampen (not soak) a shotgun patch with CLP and lightly wipe the residue off of the receiver surface. The only paint left should be inside the "S".
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#49]
How long does the Testor's paint have to dry before removing excess?
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
a) That's okay if it goes outside the grooves. If you have Q-tips handy, use one like a sponge and touch the excess paint in and around the "S". It will remove a lot of it.

b) Dampen (not soak) a shotgun patch with CLP and lightly wipe the residue off of the receiver surface. The only paint left should be inside the "S".

Well, I tried again today.  I started with Safe again.  Did better using your tips.  Unfortunately as I said in my other post, my Rock River Arms text is very shallow on some parts so it looked horrible.  So I just removed everything.  

Guess I need to start looking for another lower.  hahhaha
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top