BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/30/2008 5:05:59 PM EDT
I mean really.

Lets look at the 6920. For those that don't know (which won't be anyone on this site) the 6920 is a 16" AR15 with detachable carry handle. Designed for law enforcement many consider it to be the pinnacle of the AR platform if you want to buy a plain rifle.

First lets look at the price. Impact Guns has them listed for ~$1,700 and they fetch approximately $200-$300 less on Gun Broker. At the last Big Reno Gun Show I saw the 6920 for $1,600.

LMT offers their Defender lower receiver and adjustable stock for $330, and a 16" upper (with BCG, CH and handguards) for $675; this comes to a hair over $1,000 (before shipping) and you're getting a superb quality rifle.

Heck, lets even explore CMMG. They advertise their rifles come with chrome lined barrels that have been MPI tested, parkarizing under the FSB, F-marked FSB, M4 feed ramps, and a plethora of other features that many buyers not only consider necessary, but mandatory. And the cost of a 16" CMMG rifle? $1,025 (before shipping).

If you want to stretch your dollar even more, consider buying each part separately and assembling yourself. A CMMG lower receiver with installed LPK and stock comes to $270, and their 16" upper to $525. The total of these two parts: Just under $800.

Let me note that I do not work for CMMG or LMT, nor am affiliated with either of them in any way. I am simply pointing out the fact that it is possible to own an excellent quality rifle (LMT and CMMG being 2 examples of many) without having to pay for the rollmark "Colt".

http://smiliesftw.com/x/wavey.gif
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:06:48 PM EDT
[#1]
In on first page and subscribed for the shitstorm
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats the point of buying anything any more?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#3]
In for shit storm
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In for shit storm

Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I would just like someone to explain why I should pay anywhere from $400-$700 more for the word "Cult" *cough* oh excuse me, "Colt" on my receiver.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I often feel the same sentiment as your post suggests.  That said COLT has been a consistent top qualirt manufacturer longer than LMT or NOVESKE which KoolAid I do own and drink!  Is COLT overpriced?  Yes.  But so is LMT and NOVESKE.  As LE I get a discount from all 3.  I own all 3.  The discount aint much.  But in fairness all 3 will get a weapont o LE or military asap.  

They are all damn good and QC is fantastic.  Sure some errors make it through the cracks but the above 3 are the bomb.  If you can build your own then you should.  I can, and have a Mega lower, Stag LPK, RR 2stage trigger, RR upper, Wilson 16'SS H barrel, w/ Vortex and YHM light rail that shoots under .75 (I can't get it to .5 to claim it and have tried like a SOB).  
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd buy colt, but for the same price i could buy pof gas piston ar or something. I'd rather go lmt if i had to pick between colt, less money and still an amazing rifle.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
I often feel the same sentiment as your post suggests.  That said COLT has been a consistent top qualirt manufacturer longer than LMT or NOVESKE which KoolAid I do own and drink!  Is COLT overpriced?  Yes.  But so is LMT and NOVESKE.  As LE I get a discount from all 3.  I own all 3.  The discount aint much.  But in fairness all 3 will get a weapont o LE or military asap.  

They are all damn good and QC is fantastic.  Sure some errors make it through the cracks but the above 3 are the bomb.  If you can build your own then you should.  I can, and have a Mega lower, Stag LPK, RR 2stage trigger, RR upper, Wilson 16'SS H barrel, w/ Vortex and YHM light rail that shoots under .75 (I can't get it to .5 to claim it and have tried like a SOB).  
I would say that the price for a Noveske is fair, considering what they put into their barrels and the "extras" you get. However, I wouldn't go so far to say LMT is overpriced.

Also, what is the point of a 16" heavy barrel?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
I'd buy colt, but for the same price i could buy pof gas piston ar or something. I'd rather go lmt if i had to pick between colt, less money and still an amazing rifle.
So why would you buy Colt when you say LMT is less money, and an amazing rifle (and if you were put between them, you'd choose LMT)?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would just like someone to explain why I should pay anywhere from $400-$700 more for the word "Cult" *cough* oh excuse me, "Colt" on my receiver.

Well just don't buy the gun and then put your efforts on some other issues that are important to you.   Geez, do you own ANYTHING in your house that you could have gotten for less?

The truth is you REALLY want a Colt, but you're trying to talk yourself out of it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:25:45 PM EDT
[#11]
One word sums up the premise of this thread:

Ignorance!
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Well just don't buy the gun and then put your efforts on some other issues that are important to you.   Geez, do you own ANYTHING in your house that you could have gotten for less?

The truth is you REALLY want a Colt, but you're trying to talk yourself out of it.
Well, I make an effort to look for the best prices on things, sure. I think it's safe to say most people do. Things like electronics and ammo especially.

Why would you pay hundreds more for the same thing?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:30:15 PM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:

Hardly. I have a mutt rifle (Stag lower, RRA LPK, CTR, and CMMG upper) and couldn't be more happy with it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You shouldn't.

Buy what makes you happy.

If you don't like Colt, don't buy one.

Myself, I don't like "Frankenstein" guns that are cobbled together from different parts though (this brand upper, that brand lower, etc), and us ex-military folks tend to like the brand we were issued in the service.

Different strokes for different folks.  More power to you for doing what makes you happy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Fair 'nough.

I'm just here to watch the flames curl around you.

Though for most purposes, I kinda agree. I can get more options with CMMG than Colt, and, according to the M4C chart, 95% of the "mil-spec" features (can't get shot-peened bolt Oh-Teh-Noes! cats will sleep with dogs and have zebra babies!).
For less cost.
sure, when I go to pick a duty weapon, I want as many of the various "features" as I can reasonably get--and if I can afford it, I'm going Noveske N4 Basic--but for a fun gun, I don't think the lack of a shot-peened bolt will cause my instant death.

Just look at Panzer's upper.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They all aren't the same, and I'm not just talking about the logo.

Free-markets are a wonderful thing. I can spend my money on what I think is best. Me, when it comes to AR15's, I'm sticking to Colt and LMT.

Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Meh, I bought mine when they were around $500.00 less. $1700.00 is above market value, I could pick one up at the local shop for $300.00 less OTD easily.

All the top tier ARs are pricy, if yo beilieve you get what you pay for then it's worth it, if not then buy another brand. Some people are very happy with M1S and the likes, if it works for them then so be it.

I've personally had far more issues with the few OTC ARs I've owned then with all my Colts put together over the years. If I'm going to possibly bet my life on a weapon, I'd prefer the top tier of ARs one of which is the Colt. [insert your favorite brand here]

When it come time to sell, I'll probably get most of my $$$ back and it'll generally be more valuable as trading stock to more people.

I find the trade offs acceptable in my mind.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I make an effort to look for the best prices on things, sure. I think it's safe to say most people do. Things like electronics and ammo especially.

The best price usually does not mean the same quality.

You bring up electronics and ammo, two things that can have huge quality differences along with prices. A stereo might look like another but the sound quality can be huge and as far as ammo goes, tho it might look the same, one might be 1/2 MOA and a reliable performer within it's parameter and the other one 5 MOA, with reduced capabilites, which would you rather have if your life depended on it?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#19]
So your conclusion is based on what?  What you've read on the internet?  
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#20]

. . .  or broke people who drink the Kool-Aid:

-P.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Thankfully I realized this before I bought my first AR.  I do not own a Colt and probably never will.  With that said, I think Colt makes an outstanding AR, maybe even the best.  For my dollar, there are options that are just as good for less money.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

If you don't know by now, why should anyone try to explain it to you? Why buy a Cadillac when any number of cheaper cars will transport you from place to place. Why buy a Rolex watch when any $5 digital has better accuracy? Why buy a Colt Government Model pistol when any RIA will do the same job for less? So now you're saying "Okay, why?" See what I mean? If you even ask the question you have not reached a certain point in life where these things matter. Either you're discerning about quality and maker's marks or you're satisfied with anything that looks the same and gets the job done. Neither type of buyer can adequately explain 'Why' to buyers of the other persuasion.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Personnally I think Colt is good quality, But their quality control is slipping! And yes they charge WAY too much for the Colt name, because it is battle proven. Although I don't own one. And I don't plan to buy one because of the reasons stated above. But I respect the Colt company. This is what I think they should do to improve themselves....

They need to update their manufacturing equipment, they even admit to that. And if they want to keep up with companies like HK building the 416 and FN with the SCAR, or even the Masada, or SIG they need to start making rifles "modernized" for urban combat and Close to Mid range skermishes. Many US Special Forces dropped the M16 for HK's 416, and have the prototype SCAR, and may order it.

Take for example what HK has done with the 416. They realize that the millitary probably won't be able to find a better rifle than the AR15/M16 platform (even though their are comprable weapons systems). When they decided to scrap the XM8, they took the M16 and modernized it to compete with the new modern weapons IE: Free Float HGs, Railed HG for mounting NV and optics and lights, they changed the gas system (I still like the current AR/m16 gas system as well), and used quality parts.

To sum up Colt is a good rifle but they need to modernize their facilities where they build the rifles, and modernize the M16 so it is ready "out of the box" for combat by the armed forces, and by fun loving shooters everywhere! And charge a reasonable price to get my buissness!

just my .02 though.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#25]
CMMG =/= Colt

There are rifles of equal quality out there but they are hard to find.

I'd build my own before I bought a Colt (and have, many times) but for factory rifles Colt is top notch.

Resale value is also good with Colts.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#26]
I bought a 6920 a long while back. It hasn't malfunctioned 1 time in over 10k rounds. I wanted to keep it plain and simple with the M4 handguards and such, except for adding an optic. Later I felt the need to go all out with upgrades and goodies, so I bought another one, and it hasn't had one problem yet.

My best friend decides to buy his first AR.  Of course the 6920 just isn't good enough for him, so he decides to go nuts and build a dream rifle.  So he orders a custom 20" 6.8 AR from one of the other "reputable" vendors that advertise here on ARFCOM, instead of buying something that has a reliable track record.

I cannot believe all the trouble he has had. It wouldn't even properly cycle a round from the moment he got it. The feed ramps weren't cut right, it would FTE after firing a round, the bolt would get jammed and it took 2 people to pry it open safely. Mind you, that the guy that built the rifle is the owner of the company. I will not name which one, but it is one of the so-called "reputable" AR vendors here on ARFCOM.  This rifle has been shipped back and forth from the company to my friend so many times, I have lost count. To this day, my friend has gotten so tired of the problems with this rifle that he won't even bring it out to shoot.  Now he has a $3000 safe-queen that won't hold up in a SHTF scenario like either of my Colt's.  

I know that many of the AR manufacturers have quality rifles, but there's nothing like a Colt. Out of the box perfection is what they sell.  I'm tired of all the Colt vs. Brand X debates, and all the Colt haters out there.  If you don't want a Colt, don't buy it. Go buy a Bushy or something else. If you want perfection like no other, buy the damn Colt.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#27]
:lurk:
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
CMMG =/= Colt

There are rifles of equal quality out there but they are hard to find.

I'd build my own before I bought a Colt (and have, many times) but for factory rifles Colt is top notch.

Resale value is also good with Colts.

What is this resale of which you speak
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:23:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would say that the price for a Noveske is fair, considering what they put into their barrels and the "extras" you get. However, I wouldn't go so far to say LMT is overpriced.

Also, what is the point of a 16" heavy barrel?

It's kind of funny that you mention that. I think the new turn towards HBAR-type is just a flavor of the month thing. A year ago, gov't profile was all the rage. Who wanted to haul a heavy HBAR all day in their latest cool guy class? I mean, in my line of work people do it all the time with a 25 lbs 240B. Fast forward a year and some flavor of the month company drops a cool name on the HBAR ("Operator") and no one ever questions it. The funny thing is that a lot of the same people that used to mouth off about the HBAR being a cheap company's way of cutting cost now pay more for an HBAR-type profile.

Ahhhhhh...Sigh....ARFcom- I give up

I must say, all the sweet deals on Colt HBARs that I have gotten since the gov't profile rage has set me, my children, and children's children up with really sweet builds. I'm not complaining

As to the "why Colt" question.... I say piece together and build your own. You will be much happier with the end results.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine functions every time I pull the trigger. It is the only AR I have. I am not saying this is the only AR that can do this, but I trust Colt. Granted $1700 is too much IMO. Your argument just doesn't make a lot of sense. There are high quality in everything almost. What makes a Lexus cost more than Toyota. Why do people buy BMW over Chevy. Why do people pay more for a Sony TV than a Sanyo TV. It should be clear, but some just want to stir up people.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#32]
I use ALL COLT upper parts and buttstocks, except for the Lower receiver and some of the LPK items
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Too bad you didn't buy a Colt when I did, $250 out the door for a SP1.

Of course, that was 1975, but it still shoots GREAT!

Buy whatever makes you happy.

Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Point taken.  You buy Colt because you know it's top quality.  You buy LMT/CMMG or anything else because you want to save money and you HOPE for top quality.  With those, you're hopes are alsmost always realized.  

CMMG CAN build a rifle that's as good as a Colt, but they don't always.  I'll bet fewer crap colts get out of the factory than CMMGs.  Just barely, though.

And Colt's QC is hardly slipping.  That's just bandwaggon hatred.

ETA:  I buy LMT.  None of this Colt Cool-Aid for me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#35]
I really never thought about it like this but people buy Colt AR's for some of the same reasons that I bought a Colt Single Action Army in .45LC instead of buying the very exact same style gun manufatured by Beretta or Uberti.  Which those two I mention are very fine guns that you can get for around $500 to 700 depending on configuration.

I think I paid $1,450 for my NIB 3rd generation 1980's .45LC nickel plated 4 3/4" barrel, factory sambar stag grips in original box & white shipping outer box.  I bought

Here it is.

I bought it in 2005 and if you go check on this same gun on Gunbraker I' think you'll find that it is going for around $2500.  I don' think that the Uberti nor the Beretta have goneup in price even if they have never been turned or fired like my Colt.

With Colt not only are you paying for a high quality firearm but you are paying for Colt Heritage and the prancing horse.  For me its a no brainer if I am buying something to collect it is going to be the name brand even if you have to pay more.  I think there are a few AR manufacturers out there that are better than or at least equal to Colt but I also think that Colt makes a dead reliable AR that is built well and will last a long time and the resale will be higher than a Noveske or something else.

To each their own and there are many followers of many manufacturers on this site.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:54:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I really never thought about it like this but people buy Colt AR's for some of the same reasons that I bought a Colt Single Action Army in .45LC instead of buying the very exact same style gun manufatured by Beretta or Uberti.  Which those two I mention are very fine guns that you can get for around $500 to 700 depending on configuration.

I think I paid $1,450 for my NIB 3rd generation 1980's .45LC nickel plated 4 3/4" barrel, factory sambar stag grips in original box & white shipping outer box.  I bought

Here it is.

i26.photobucket.com/albums/c110/tbarringhaus/Guns07009.jpg

I bought it in 2005 and if you go check on this same gun on Gunbraker I' think you'll find that it is going for around $2500.  I don' think that the Uberti nor the Beretta have goneup in price even if they have never been turned or fired like my Colt.

With Colt not only are you paying for a high quality firearm but you are paying for Colt Heritage and the prancing horse.  For me its a no brainer if I am buying something to collect it is going to be the name brand even if you have to pay more.  I think there are a few AR manufacturers out there that are better than or at least equal to Colt but I also think that Colt makes a dead reliable AR that is built well and will last a long time and the resale will be higher than a Noveske or something else.

To each their own and there are many followers of many manufacturers on this site.

Sweet piece.

"God created men, but Sam Colt made them equal."
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I got ya beat! Paid $219 for a Sporter 1 in 1974
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#39]
i tend to think like this....

"if your MIL. then just remember. your gun was made by the lowest bidder"...

while not always true. I still like to bring that up. Colt are good guns... but so are K98's, and I've never seen a K98 vs. Colt Ar15 thread before.....
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#40]
I use a Colt M4 in my job.  From my personal experience with my rifle and watching other people deal with this rifle, it is OVERHYPED.  People pay for the Colt name.  I think maybe years ago this name was worth its weight, but not anymore.  There are many other companies that build equal or better rifles than Colt.  For those of you who don't agree; ok, roger.  Have you ever been in the middle of a firefight and had your weapon 1)jam and then five rounds later 2)double feed?  And before you say it, i know what the fuck i'm doing with a rifle.  I'm a Scout.  I clean my rifle, mags, rounds, gear, etc.  I carried this thing everyday for 14 months and my life depended on it.  And I would rather have a different rifle based on my experiences.  So before you buy the hype, do some research on the rifle you want from less biased people (yes, myself included).
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Either way your buying the name.

Thats why Nike bitched when they had to start selling shoes in K mart.

I've used Colt M16A1, M4, A2...FN M16A2, Bush Master, Oly Arms. And now an Armalite.

Between them all Colt and Armalite are my favs only becuase FN had mismatched park on the upper and lowers.

Would I pay over 1K for a Colt....NO and i would pay that much for any AR either.
Guess I'm having too much fun hand building mine....the only way to insure quality control.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Colt does makes one of the Finest Factory built AR15's that us Civilian's can buy.

Their Quality Control is one of the BEST if not the Best in the Business for a Major Manufacture.

Do I buy into the HYPE that they are the best because they Parkerize under the front sight base, NO.

I Do Not like Colt's politics and how they SOLD OUT to the Government or whoever it was when it came to Civilian Sales.

Like many others have already said, Buy what would make you Happy and Enjoy it.

Link Posted: 5/30/2008 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My mom was 7 years old in 1975...
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Maybe your LMT will look like this...

Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My mom was 7 years old in 1975...

Does that make you 25?  I can't tell if you're from West Virginia.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#46]
That's some serious lack of QC in that front sight.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Quoted:
I bought a 6920 a long while back. It hasn't malfunctioned 1 time in over 10k rounds. I wanted to keep it plain and simple with the M4 handguards and such, except for adding an optic. Later I felt the need to go all out with upgrades and goodies, so I bought another one, and it hasn't had one problem yet.

My best friend decides to buy his first AR.  Of course the 6920 just isn't good enough for him, so he decides to go nuts and build a dream rifle.  So he orders a custom 20" 6.8 AR from one of the other "reputable" vendors that advertise here on ARFCOM, instead of buying something that has a reliable track record.

I cannot believe all the trouble he has had. It wouldn't even properly cycle a round from the moment he got it. The feed ramps weren't cut right, it would FTE after firing a round, the bolt would get jammed and it took 2 people to pry it open safely. Mind you, that the guy that built the rifle is the owner of the company. I will not name which one, but it is one of the so-called "reputable" AR vendors here on ARFCOM.  This rifle has been shipped back and forth from the company to my friend so many times, I have lost count. To this day, my friend has gotten so tired of the problems with this rifle that he won't even bring it out to shoot.  Now he has a $3000 safe-queen that won't hold up in a SHTF scenario like either of my Colt's.  

I know that many of the AR manufacturers have quality rifles, but there's nothing like a Colt. Out of the box perfection is what they sell.  I'm tired of all the Colt vs. Brand X debates, and all the Colt haters out there.  If you don't want a Colt, don't buy it. Go buy a Bushy or something else. If you want perfection like no other, buy the damn Colt.  
+10
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Colt aside, i would KILL for an FN AR15
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#49]
The fact of the matter is considering you live in Commie-fornia, you can't own a Colt anyway. They are on the "banned" list.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:29:41 PM EDT
[#50]
The market has caught up with Colt, and there is alot as good and alot of stuff even better in the high dollar rifles. I personally feel alot of people will question its price with what else now is optioned on other brands and their quality. Soon they will all be dumped for piston rifles. --thats the future .
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top