Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2008 2:19:26 AM EDT
I was wondering..

Are the military barrels of 20" rifle heavy barrels ?

I am getting a AR-15 sporter II which seems to be heavy after the frontight, but not below the handguard. I was wondering if I could keep it for a decent clone.

thx for your answers !

edit : from what I found on wikipedia, the M16A2E4 and M16A4 are NOT heavy barrels. Can i trust this information ?
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 2:36:29 AM EDT
[#1]
this pic belongs to Molon IIRC...

A2/A3/A4 barrel profile are the same: heavy only in the front of  FSB

Link Posted: 10/24/2008 3:00:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Government Type Barrel Profiles, used to show the 20" profiles only

and here's an HBAR

Link Posted: 10/24/2008 3:33:34 AM EDT
[#3]
You guys are great !

thanks for the informations, exactly what I was looking for !

Frens: I am finding a LOT of Colt AR's, but no M4 at the moment !
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 3:36:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You guys are great !

thanks for the informations, exactly what I was looking for !

Frens: I am finding a LOT of Colt AR's, but no M4 at the moment !

thanks mate!
dont stop keeping your eyes open

I've sent an email to a gunshop in Finland...lets see what they can do for me

ciao!
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 4:03:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Could you import a Colt AR-15 with the original barrel swapped with a SDI m4 barrel ?
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This change in barrel profile came post-Vietnam, when it was discovered that barrels were being bent between the FSB and flash hider.  Theory was that troops were using fixed bayonets as pry bars to break the metal bands on ammo packaging of various types.  In other words, soldier-proofing.  Has nothing to do with accuracy.

The Colt (and other) HBAR continues the heavier profile under the handguards, adding stability and dampening vibrations further.  Also resists somewhat the effect of a tight sling, although you really need a DCM-style free float tube for this.
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Interesting.. So at first this barrel profile change had nothing to do with shooting issues !

So i guess I will use my sporter II barrel to make the M16A4 clone I had in mind, and keep one of my HBAR for the Mk12mod0 clone
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 6:11:57 AM EDT
[#8]
For a Mk12, Medium contour is what you're likely after.  A WOA will handle that fine for cheap, but there are other pricier barrels that are a bit nicer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#9]
What do you call a medium contour ? Don't forget I am in Switzerland, and not in the USA... barrels are scarce over here
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What do you call a medium contour ? Don't forget I am in Switzerland, and not in the USA... barrels are scarce over here

ar15barrels.com/profiles.shtml
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img263.imageshack.us/img263/4373/profilea2a1la4.jpg

This change in barrel profile came post-Vietnam, when it was discovered that barrels were being bent between the FSB and flash hider.  Theory was tat troops were using fixed bayonets as pry bars to break the metal bands on ammo packaging of various types.  In other words, soldier-proofing.  Has nothing to do with accuracy.

The Colt (and other) HBAR continues the heavier profile under the handguards, adding stability and dampening vibrations further.  Also resists somewhat the effect of a tight sling, although you really need a DCM-style free float tube for this.

This change in barrel profile came post-Vietnam, when it was discovered that barrels were being bent between the FSB and flash hider.  Theory was tat troops were using fixed bayonets as pry bars to break the metal bands on ammo packaging of various types.  In other words, soldier-proofing.  Has nothing to do with accuracy.

Not true. If a A1 bent where you say, then examine at the A2 barrel. Where do you think it would bend if you used it as a "pry bar"?

IIRC it has to do with muzzle rise.
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 6:52:07 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

This change in barrel profile came post-Vietnam, when it was discovered that barrels were being bent between the FSB and flash hider.  Theory was tat troops were using fixed bayonets as pry bars to break the metal bands on ammo packaging of various types.

Another urban legend that just won't die.

Below is a quote from coldblue (Lt. Colonel David Lutz, USMC, retired) on the subject matter.

Since The M16A2 Product Improvement Program (1980-1983) was my program, this is the down & dirty on the barrel thickness issue.
We (Marines) were replacing a lot of "bent" barrels that were determined to be "bent" because the Armorer's Bore Drop Gauge would not freely pass through some barrels during Ordnance Inspections (LTI's). So the Logisitcs people had "Barrels Bending" on their list of "M16A1" things to "Improve" right after listing "Handguards Breaking."
We "experts" thought this bending was from rough handling like during bayonet drills, etc., as an absence of any mid-barrel handguard damage in these rifles made one assume the fulcrum of such bending was the bayonet lug. So we made that part of the barel thicker because we did not want the excess weight of a full length heavy barrel. In testing using the bayonet lug as a fulcrum, and applying calibrated mechanical pressure to the muzzle, the new barrel was about 9 times more resistant to bend and take a set than an M16A1 profile. So we went with this "improvement."
However, soon after I started using a bore scope with a video recorder and monitor to inspect "bent" barrels. What I found was a mound of bullet jacket material at their gas ports. This build up was caused by a burr left from drilling/reaming the gas port. This was where the Armorer's Drop Gauge was geting stuck. When we removed this "mound", the barrels would all pass the Drop Gauge. We let Colt know what we had deduced, and that is one reason they kept models of "A2's" in their line-up with A1 profile barrels. However, the A2 profile was already down the road for the US Military. So about the only advantage of the A2 profile was to give the rifle a little more muzzle hang. This was noted by most all the Operational Test paticipants, especially when they fired the standing/off-hand leg of our rifle qualification course.
So my advice to mlitary armorers is to never replace a bent barrel until you visually check the gas port, or at least scrub the hell out of the gas port area with a new bore brush and an electric drill. And thank God for chrome bores!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top