User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 907
Posted: 7/7/2011 12:07:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lancelot]
So just an introduction to this thread - its purpose is to show off your Block II clone builds; here is a list of some of the common characteristics and equipment that the Block II M4A1s have:

THE Block II Chart (courtesy of Patriot_Man)

Barrel:
14.5" M4 or SOCOM contour barrel

Flash Hider:
KAC NT4
Surefire 4P

Suppressors:
KAC NT4
Surefire SOCOM RC

Rail System:
Early Block II M4A1s still used the KAC M4 RIS/RAS
DD RIS II in dark earth

Vertical grips
Tango down battle grip in tan
KAC
Grip-Pod

Rail panels:
Tango Down
KAC

Front sight:
KAC flip up in tan
standard front sight base (if early Block II with M4 RIS/RAS)

Optics:
Elcan Specter DR SU-230
EOTech SU-231-PEQ (EOTech 553)
EOTech SU-231A-PEQ (EOTech EXPS03)
ACOG SU-237 (TA01-ECOS)
EOTech/Aimpoint 3x magnifiers

IR Lasers:
Insight AN/PEQ-15/LA-5

Flashlight:
Insight M3 (SU-233/PVS)
Insight WMX200

Rear sight:
KAC 300m
KAC 600m
MaTech

Buttstock:
standard M4 (both older CAR style and newer "LE" style)
LMT SOPMOD

some reference pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

early block II

more early Block IIs

Just to reiterate, you don't have to have an EXACT copy of a Block II M4A1 to post your rifle up here, but the purpose is to post pictures of our rifles that we've made specifically to emulate the issue Block II weapon system - if you've got a midlength carbine with an UBR stock that just happens to have a RIS II on it it is likely you did not intend the rifle be a "clone" of the newest generation M4A1, and probably doesn't belong in this picture thread.

Rifles that have no Block II components ie standard M4geries with Block I Optics do not embody the purpose of this thread and though they are nice weapons in their own right, shouldn't be posted in this thread to avoid unnecessary clutter.

Originally Posted By Augee:

The easiest visual discriminator of whether you're looking at a SOPMOD equipped M4A1 or an MWS M4 is usually the identity of who is holding it.  If it's a SOF troop, it's probably a SOPMOD M4[A1].  If it's a conventional troop, it's probably an M4 MWS.

SOPMOD = SOF
MWS = Conventional

The SOPMOD program was initially fielded in 1996, and the two have not significantly converged or crossed over at all since then, and there is almost no commonality between systems used in the two.   They are separate lines of development and evolution managed by two totally different components (Army and Navy).

SOPMOD is run by NSWC-Crane to equip SOF M4A1 Carbines with accessories.  There are two distinct "blocks" as identified by NSWC-Crane PowerPoints as the primary source of information, however, there was a "transitional period" of several years in which carbines with items from both blocks were used.  Because of a PowerPoint slide that was published (IIRC?) 2006 showing a block labeled "phased replacement," it has become the colloquial term for "transitional" configurations.

"Block x" does NOT refer, in an "official" sense to a specific configuration of rifle.  It refers to specific modifications (read accessories) to the SOF M4A1 weapon system that are managed by Crane.

Colloquially we refer to M4A1s with accessories from the first block of the SOPMOD program as "Block 1," while using "Block 2" to describe carbines with the RIS II, one of the last components of the second block of the SOPMOD program to be fielded.  Carbines with the accessories/features of both blocks of the SOPMOD program, but without the RIS II, we refer to as "Phased Replacement."  It is important to note, however, that this colloquial classification is generally limited to this thread, and others both here and on other sites that feed off of it.

The important thing to understand is that the SOPMOD program is almost always limited to SOF only, and 99% of the time, the "actual" weapon in question will be an M4A1, not an M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces weapon system, and is totally separate from the SOPMOD program and SOF modifications, though they were "inspired" by the SOPMOD program, almost every single actual item is different.

The M4 is managed by the Army overall through TACOM, though the Marine Corps also manages their own programs through their own directorates for their specific incarnation of the M4.

The M4 is a conventional forces platform, and is upgraded through modular weapon system (MWS) upgrades.  There are no specific blocks, increments, or generations, and their specifics vary by time period, unit, and MTOE.

~Augee
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Super_Trouper:

Not retaining zero. It wasn't shifting much, but enough that at 300m and out I was missing c zone sized steel. I thought it was ammunition related at first until it did it multiple times.

And when I was rezeroing following those occasions, the elevation lock was stuck. And I mean STUCK. I'm not sure what the exact issue is stemming from, but this is one of my grab and go rifles that I carry with me daily, so it put a bad taste in my mouth.

To clarify, this isn't a surplus or old unit either. I bought it brand new from Eurooptic and haven't put a ton of rounds through it - maybe 1k or so max. The Elcan is definitely a vibe, I love the reticle and the look of it on the Block II. Definitely a bummer.
View Quote
Not to insult your intelligence, I'm genuinely asking, but did you unlock the elevation?
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 11:08:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By LsuJon:
Same reasons to like an acog but with better eye relief, 1/4x, and controllable illumination.
View Quote

This is why I chose the Elcan over the ACOG.  1x is what I went out with for normal CQB type engagement but had 4x if needed for distance shots.  I only used the Acog for mandatory qual.
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 11:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Glitch bump
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:36:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Super_Trouper] [#4]
Not to insult your intelligence, I'm genuinely asking, but did you unlock the elevation?
View Quote

Yes.

Like I said, when I went to rezero it on more than one occasion was the EL Lock stuck in the locked position. I would have to pick up on the body of the optic while while trying to pop the lock up and it was still very hard to do.

I'm not saying they all suck, my luck just works like that. It could be raining pussy and I'd get hit with a dick. So I just decided to go back to the ACOG since it's a little simpler, until I can send this back for repair.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there a website or reference where I can get my correct cage code/part # for my lower? I want to get one of those UID labels.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:20:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#6]
What brand lower do you have?

Part number for m4a1 is  12972700  your cage code goes off your brand. For instance if you have a psa lover cage code is 7XC20
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 10:38:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Loonytik:
Is there a website or reference where I can get my correct cage code/part # for my lower? I want to get one of those UID labels.

Thanks
View Quote

Lots of info here.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 3:18:56 AM EDT
[#8]
@Combat_Diver

How uncommon would it be for the M203 to be paired with the Block II? I know the Block II has mounts specifically for the M203 but I think the M320 was pretty much in heavy use by then. I’m wondering if it would be weird to mount my faux M203 to my FSP Block II.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:54:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MK318:
@Combat_Diver

How uncommon would it be for the M203 to be paired with the Block II? I know the Block II has mounts specifically for the M203 but I think the M320 was pretty much in heavy use by then. I’m wondering if it would be weird to mount my faux M203 to my FSP Block II.
View Quote

Yes, it was designed for it but I've never seen that combo in use downrange.  Did it happen early, yes but the M203 was withdrawn about the same time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:

Yes, it was designed for it but I've never seen that combo in use downrange.  Did it happen early, yes but the M203 was withdrawn about the same time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
@Combat_Diver

How uncommon would it be for the M203 to be paired with the Block II? I know the Block II has mounts specifically for the M203 but I think the M320 was pretty much in heavy use by then. I'm wondering if it would be weird to mount my faux M203 to my FSP Block II.

It's extremely common among marsoc. I've only seen a handful of pictures of none marsoc units using it but almost every MSOT was using it. Probably in part to the Corps extremely late adoption of the 320.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#11]
It's extremely common among marsoc. I've only seen a handful of pictures of none marsoc units using it but almost every MSOT was using it. Probably in part to the Corps extremely late adoption of the 320.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/IMG_9032_jpeg-3034891.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/IMG_7162_jpeg-3034892.JPG

View Quote

Thanks for those, hardly ever work with MARSOC.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:09:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:
What brand lower do you have?

Part number for m4a1 is  12972700  your cage code goes off your brand. For instance if you have a psa lover cage code is 7XC20
View Quote

Thanks.

It's an Aero lower. I saw a few different codes for Aero. 1WXY6 was what I assumed it was.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Hunting with the block ii this year.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:55:32 PM EDT
[#14]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/IMG_9032_jpeg-3034891.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/IMG_7162_jpeg-3034892.JPG

Did MARSOC use FSP uppers at all?

View All Quotes
@Combat_Diver

How uncommon would it be for the M203 to be paired with the Block II? I know the Block II has mounts specifically for the M203 but I think the M320 was pretty much in heavy use by then. I'm wondering if it would be weird to mount my faux M203 to my FSP Block II.

Did MARSOC use FSP uppers at all?

Link Posted: 11/21/2023 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote
No. Lol
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463094/IMG_3595_jpeg-3034956.JPG

View Quote

Might work better with your scope caps open.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:18:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#17]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Duck_Hunt:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/463094/IMG_3595_jpeg-3034956.JPG

It’s just one cap on the eye piece. I keep it closed as it’s really easy to open as it’s spring loaded. If something happened fast the rmr takes care of it anyways
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 7:40:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#18]
No. Lol
View All Quotes

No. Lol

Dang. Plus it looks like they used the NT4 mount over the SF mount so I’d have to redo my entire Block II upper to justify the M203. I do kind of like the look of the M203 attached to the RIS II. Too bad the M203 was on its way out when the Block II was coming in.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Dang. Plus it looks like they used the NT4 mount over the SF mount so I'd have to redo my entire Block II upper to justify the M203. I do kind of like the look of the M203 attached to the RIS II. Too bad the M203 was on its way out when the Block II was coming in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_5884_jpeg-3035315.JPG
View Quote
I'm confused cause you RISII isn't the FSP one lol.

but other units have done it, this one is CCT it's just rare compared to how often MSOT teams did it.

Attachment Attached File

I know I've seen a handful more but just not allot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:59:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#20]

but other units have done it, this one is CCT it's just rare compared to how often MSOT teams did it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/IMG_3900_jpeg-3035430.JPG

View All Quotes

Dang. Plus it looks like they used the NT4 mount over the SF mount so I'd have to redo my entire Block II upper to justify the M203. I do kind of like the look of the M203 attached to the RIS II. Too bad the M203 was on its way out when the Block II was coming in.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_5884_jpeg-3035315.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/IMG_3900_jpeg-3035430.JPG

I have both block II uppers. I wanted to use my FSP RISII with the 203. My standard RIS has an LPVO on it and it is a heavy bitch already. I was hoping since the FSPs were made to work with the already common Block 1 and 1.5s that there would be some overlap between the FSP and M203 usage. The MARSOC builds won’t work since my SF mounts are P&W and they are using the NT4 mount. So I’d have to completely redo my uppers regardless of it being an FSP or standard RIS II. If I weren’t already making a MK18 Mod 1 and a URGI, I’d probably just build another Block II in the MARSOC configuration but I can’t justify three Block IIs.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I got some 3 position selectors that are idenitical to the colt ambi ones, but are cage marked 1KW91.  Anyone seen these?
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By brodband8:
I got some 3 position selectors that are idenitical to the colt ambi ones, but are cage marked 1KW91.  Anyone seen these?
View Quote

Yeap, got bunch of them.

Manufacturing Support Industries is a defense contractor located in Salisbury, MD who handles manufacturing/supplying when main contractors are at capacity.  They make upper receivers, receiver extensions and safeties to name a few parts.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 1:40:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Range day
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 3:23:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTM20] [#26]
When did Daniel Defense roll out the reinforced lower rail? I thought it was only Savannah marked rails that had the holes all the way to the end, but I just noticed my RIS has the earlier style lower rail.

Also were the RIS II rails without date codes used on mil guns, or were they commercial only?

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 4:16:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#27]

I love seeing the old M9 still kicking around. A lot of shit gets talked about it but mine were always reliable. I will always have a place in my heart for the M9.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 4:41:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#28]
While we are on the topic of ambi safeties and NSW rifles, one thing I have noticed is that they typically don't have them. (Usually Army rifles have the "colt" ambi and Marine rifles would have the KAC ones.) However, when you do see them with the contract ambi safeties with NSW, they are using new FN Lowers.

Examples:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#29]

I love seeing the old M9 still kicking around. A lot of shit gets talked about it but mine were always reliable. I will always have a place in my heart for the M9.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_6751_jpeg-3036364.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_5970_jpeg-3036369.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_6751_jpeg-3036364.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_5970_jpeg-3036369.JPG

My PSG in Afg gave me his M9 when he got moved to a different platoon. The slide was cracked at the locking block channels about 70% of the way through on both sides. I could flex it with one hand and see through the slide. It was still deadly accurate and never malfunctioned though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#30]
While we are on the topic of ambi safeties and NSW rifles, one thing I have noticed is that they typically don't have them. (Usually Army rifles have the "colt" ambi and Marine rifles would have the KAC ones.) However, when you do see them with the contract ambi safeties with NSW, they are using new FN Lowers.

Examples:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/E0B7A6CF-06D6-4292-BD5F-689A54F7B5AD_jpe-3036392.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/6D59B2A0-65D4-41C1-8961-5F1AB61AC669_jpe-3036393.JPG
View Quote

How can you tell they're FN lowers?
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 7:45:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LsuJon] [#31]

View Quote
The HQ images of the mk18 on DVID you can read the cage code lol. And there are more pictures of the DMR where you can see it's an 18-1 fn lower.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#32]
The HQ images of the mk18 on DVID you can read the cage code lol. And there are more pictures of the DMR where you can see it's an 18-1 fn lower.
View All Quotes

I can make out that there's a UID tag there, but nothing of detail on my end.
Link Posted: 11/22/2023 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#33]
@Combat_Diver

View Quote

Not common but it’s been done.

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
Courtesy of @BlueDevilBrew

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/22/2023 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes

Courtesy of @BlueDevilBrew

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/316069/572FE6C3-E6B6-4E85-9EE6-AA27378F6331_jpe-3036734.JPG

I can read that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 1:30:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:

https://i.imgur.com/9KC1MtS.jpg
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StealthGuy:
@Combat_Diver

https://i.imgur.com/9KC1MtS.jpg

Thank you, that is what I have been looking for.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

Same here, a M9 made a comfy pillow in Taji, Iraq, in 2016.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 1:04:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:33:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: isullivan] [#40]

Work in progress.

I don’t have a Surefire can so the M4-2000 is on there for now.
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#41]

Wrong thread
Link Posted: 11/25/2023 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GallopingOstrich:

Wrong thread
View Quote

Thank you for the useful contribution. Didn’t know we had picture police in this thread.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:45:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Wrong thread
View Quote

I say its inline and allowable.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:04:49 AM EDT
[#44]

I say it's inline and allowable.
View All Quotes

Wrong thread

I say it's inline and allowable.
It's probably because I'm too tired to notice, but why is it wrong?
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:21:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:
View Quote

Probably the lmt lower, but I sat who cares. It looks good.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:13:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#46]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:

If it was rattle canned I doubt many would even notice the lower. I’ve seen a pic or two floating around with a block II sporting a T1. It may have been a MARSOC one. I don’t remember exactly but the T1 has been around and issued. It’s not unreasonable for them to end up on Block IIs and MK18s.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:28:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#47]

If it was rattle canned I doubt many would even notice the lower. I’ve seen a pic or two floating around with a block II sporting a T1. It may have been a MARSOC one. I don’t remember exactly but the T1 has been around and issued. It’s not unreasonable for them to end up on Block IIs and MK18s.
View Quote

I ran a T1 and a tan Mk17 pistol grip on my M4A1 Block IIs URGs in Astan.  Lower is given to be wrong no matter what.  Unless it is a Colt/FN M4A1 select fire lower its one of the areas that is overlooked.  Had several uppers for my select fire lower.  SEALS were running lots of T1s (DD riser) on their Mk18-1s (same gun, just Navy nomenclature) last two years when I was in UAE and supported them.
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I was just giving him a hard time about the can.  Didn't even look at the lower.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 1:00:18 AM EDT
[#49]

I like this. I am going to mount my M203 to my FSP upper tomorrow. I had just spent a few hundred dollars on a KAC QD M203 mount too. Now it will sit in the safe.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 9:42:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 907
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top