Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 6:45:52 PM EDT
Anyone have a picture of the BMAS or RRA Quad rail on there rifle?
I'm hoping with the Knight rib panels on them they look just like the FF RAS or M4 RAS. Sure would save me some money.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're looking to save some money, take a look at the Olympic Arms FIRSH.. the BMAS and RRA quad both also require the removal of the front sight, and don't offer the uninterrupted rail that the FIRSH does. The BMAS does look nicer, though, IMHO
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I sent Yankee Hill (the people who make Bushmaster and Rock River' railed float tubes) an e-mail about their "modular" float tubes with rails.  In addition to my answer, this was included as well:

"We do have a new mid-length quad rail forearm coming in two configurations. One is our standard solid forearm as seen on our web page. The weight is 1.093 pounds or 17.5 oz.. The other is our new light weight series the weight on this item is only .78 pounds or 12.5 oz.. It is  1/3 of a pound lighter. All the weights include the barrel nut and the locking nut required to mount the forearms. Both will be available in 2 weeks."

I would imagine that, if YHM is going to the trouble of making a "light weight" in mid-length, and since he referred to it as the "light weight series" that they'll be available in carbine and rifle too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad I clicked this one.. Just in time for Xmas huh? [:)]

I'll have to look into those too, thanks onslaught
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that DRISH system hard to install. Are there any special tools needed?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess what i'm asking is.... do these round style FF's (BMAS/RRA Quad) look right with the Knights ribbed rail covers on? The Knights RAS FF looks sort of oval when you look at it head on.
Some photos of these rails with Knights rail covers on would help me alot.
I don't want to end up with a huge circumference with the covers on, at lest not larger then the Knights with the covers on.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#6]
My experience is with a LiberatorII. Much the same as the other FF type handguards you are looking at. Due to the 4 rails being equal distance from the barrel bore line the handguard grip is wider than with my KAC M4. I used a KAC cover on the bottom and the ladder types on both sides. Even with this, the grip is still a bit wider than with the KAC.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/078271.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks TWW thats just what I needed to know.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:16:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Onslaught thanks for the plug.You are right in assuming that YHM is coming out with a new light weight series of forearms. We currently have the carbine in stock and ready to ship. It is approx. 1/4 pound lighter. It has not been entered onto the YHM web sight yet because we have just completed the first production run and photos are just now complete. The price is the same as our solid forearm on the web page. I will post a photo to this thread tomorrow when I get to work.If anyone is interested in purchasing it simply order the solid carbine 4 rail and in the memo section ask to have it replaced with the light weight version. Thanks again Onslaught.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]
when will the mid-length forearms be available and how much will they be, any pics? thanks
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#11]
As promised here is a pic of the YHM carbine light weight forearm.
[img]http://www.yhm.net/images/YHM-9631.jpg[/img]
Will have a pic and pricing on the mid-length by the end of next week.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:03:18 PM EDT
[#12]
O_O!!!

OK, where can I buy one?
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#13]
please let me know when the mid lengths  are available and would like pics and price thank you email [email protected]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Post is a little old, but here's what I have:

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/082366.JPG[/img]

It's for sale on EE, not cheap though.  Got alot into it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Below is a photo of [url=www.yhm.net]YHM's[/url] new mid-length forearms. They are priced at $128.00 each. They are not up on the web site yet but interested parties can call to order.

[img]www.yhm.net/images/MID-LENGTH2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#17]
YHM,that is a badass looking float tube!

Is it still rigid being that gutted? I think I might want to get one!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#18]
It'll be perfectly rigid compared to what a human can do to it.. and certainly stronger than polymer... my only concern is whether the holes are big enough to get a finger through, which could be painful...
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:22:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn, never thought of that, I bet you could burn your finger pretty easy with that tube.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:47:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Seems that KAC rail covers (and maybe some others as well) would cover a little bit of the space, but burn hazard would definitely be a concern if left exposed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#21]
TREETOP all of our railed forearms are dimensioned and manufactured to be equal in height to the mil-spec flattop upper receiver. We also hold a very tight concentricity tolerance from rail to rail. There are however variations due to the tolerances of both parts which may cause a .020" difference in height. This can not be controlled to an absolute match to every upper receiver manufactured.
The design of the lightweight forearm was a response to the many requests from the field for a super light bare bones forearm. Our goal was to remove as much weight as possible from the forearm without jeopardizing the integrity and strength of the part. There is a chance that an operator could reach through the holes in the lightweight forearms and burn a finger. Safety is always a major concern when dealing with firearms and the problem was not taken lightly. We tried several different prototypes attempting to get around this problem but found the weight savings was not significant enough to warrant production. I believe that with proper handling the risk is minimal and the use of rail covers does reduce the risk.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Archer_YHM:

Are the top and bottom rails on the lightweight handguard solid all the way across (as on the non-lightweight), or are they split down the middle (like the side rails in the pic of the LW handguard)? My concern is that devices with a center locking post (ie KAC or DPMS type vertical grip) won't work on a split rail.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Shooter521,
All four rails are milled down the center.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Yankee Hill Machine website -[url]https://secure.valinet.com/~yankeeh/cgi-bin/web_store/web_store.cgi[/url]
Link Posted: 1/8/2004 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Just bought one of the YHM light weight float tubes, thanks to the kind people of RB Precision.  I installed two Knight's rail covers on it to see what the spacing would be to address the burnt finger concern.  Gap measures under 1/2" and it is very difficult to get a finger into the rail.  Knowing full well that many people leave the top rail uncovered, that is where a person could easily slip a finger in and get burnt by the gas tube or barrel because most of the top vent holes would still be uncovered.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/087283.JPG[/img]

The finish is good and the machine work seems to be pretty good as well.  Does anyone know if there is a special wrench in existence for tightening the lock nut?  The last two I built I used the screw driver/hammer/vice method.  This did minimal, almost unnoticable, damage to the lock nut, but one slip and it could have been worse.  I'd like to avoid that potential in the future.
Link Posted: 3/30/2004 10:53:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Does anyone have a number on how much these lightweight tubes weigh? They are VERY interesting to me....  thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2004 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Does anyone have a number on how much these lightweight tubes weigh? They are VERY interesting to me....  thanks
View Quote

Found out for myself! (this is for the carbine)
Email from YHM:

The weight of YHM-9631 is 10.6 oz. That includes 3.1 oz. for the jam nut and
barrel nut. Your current barrel nut and delta ring weighs 2.5oz.
Thank you for your interest in YHM products.
Paul xxxxxxx
Plant Manager
YHM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top