Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2004 10:23:08 AM EDT
Anyone have one of these? I was thinking of buying one but they look too good to be true.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I want to say that SMGLee had one. I'm pretty sure he posted about it a while ago, but it didnt run up in the search. You might try and IM him.

ETA: After searching some more I still didn't turn up much, but I didn find some info on the JP drop in that might interest you

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=205512
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#2]
pspencer,

A friend of mine who owns a gun shop said he played with it at the SHOT show.  He was very impressed with overall construction and how "crisp" it was.  I put my order in yesterday.  There is a 3 week backlog due to demand.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the quick replies...now I just have to choose between the JP or the McCormick. Hopefully Gun Tests or some other reliable magazine will run an article on them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 11:39:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Just an update in case anyone is looking into this product, I ordered mine in October (the McCormick version) and finally got it yesterday. While I am by no means an AR-15 armorer, it took less than 15 minutes from start to finish to get it installed. Beware though, it comes with no instructions for installation so if you don't have at least a basic familiarity with minor disassembly you might want to take it to a gunsmith.  As far as the quality, etc. I could not be happier. I ordered the single stage curved version,  it is quite crisp and light. The unit seems very sturdy and well built. I installed it in an Armalite Carbine and the difference in the trigger pull is remarkable. Long wait but well worth it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Well i am a gunsmith and The McCormick Triggers are pretty damn nice, i was pretty impressed. Its no Millazo, or KAC but its very crisp and super easy to install
Link Posted: 12/28/2004 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
How do you think it compares to the Jard Triggers?
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#7]
OK I finally got to the range and tried out the trigger. It brought my groups at 100 yards down from 3.5" to about 2.5", shot from a supported seated position with iron sights. I would really like to see what it would do with a decent scope.  Faster shooting at 50 yards was also much easier, my range does not allow rapid fire, so I had to stick with double taps. I'm very satisfied overall.
Link Posted: 1/26/2005 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 4:09:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Anyone have one of these? I was thinking of buying one but they look too good to be true.

It took me about a month to get the flat single stage I ordered direct from CMC. They had plenty of two stage curved triggers at the time but I wanted something different. I am real happy with the  CMC flat trigger. It was super easy to install, and it was light and crisp with very little if any perceptable take up. It was for me worth the wait.
Link Posted: 1/27/2005 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#10]
i just ordered one of the curved trigger two stage from denny yesterday morning.

got an email later that morning that it had shipped out
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 1:29:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 5:20:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I tried them at SHOT.  I didnt think the pull was any better than an Accuracy Speaks, but the installation is certainly easier.  Something that concerned me was the guy working the Chip McCormick booth said the hammers would eventually be MIM.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 5:20:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I handled one at the shot show and it was truly amazing
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#15]
would these trigger work on m16 full auto
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
would these trigger work on m16 full auto

Nope. And you shouldn't be using such a light trigger for full auto anyway.
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Any updates on these triggers with more range time?

Would these triggers be considered tactical (i.e. duty/service)?
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#19]
I checked them out at the shot show and was impressed.  I ordered one and should have it relatively soon for my SPRish build.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got one in 243 WSSM AR.  It is a nice trigger, but not as clean and crisp as the JP single stage in my experience.  I had to wallow out the holes in the receiver in order to get the oversize pins in too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 5:21:38 AM EDT
[#21]
I just installed one in this SAM R clone and am very impressed with it so far..................
The only tricky part about the installation is removing the safety selector which was not hard and only took about 2 minutes for the whole installation.

Link Posted: 2/21/2005 8:53:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Just Great! I was seriously considering buying one of these triggers when I found out on a retailer's website that they don't work on any Colt rifles with the block. That should only eliminate about 30% of the market out there....including me!
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 1:38:51 PM EDT
[#23]
What kind of pins come with these? Std. pins or "E" clip type pins.  I ask because Brownell's lists them with "E" clip pins, which I would'really like.
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Wes, will the CMC unit fit in a newer Colt lowers that have the sear "block" machined into the lower?

P.S. do you have any 2-stage curved units in stock for the Colt large pin?
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#26]
The Chip SS triggers feel very much like a SA or Kimber 1911 trigger. No takeup, very smooth short travel and no slack after ignition. Light trigger but nice.
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 7:09:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The Chip SS triggers feel very much like a SA or Kimber 1911 trigger. No takeup, very smooth short travel and no slack after ignition. Light trigger but nice.

Interesting, I just tried both of my Kimber triggers.  They both have a light first stage (takeup) and a crisp second stage.  This is what a good 2-stage should feel like.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#28]
I got mine today.  

$128.96 from Brownells.

installation was easy. oversize trigger pin did have to be tapped in. Much easier installation than an Accuracy Speaks trigger.

Anyone know what the hammer spring weight of the CMC unit is? is it relieable with hard military primers?
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#29]
The only "peculiarity" on the McCormick trigger is that it allows you to put the safety lever to SAFE when the hammer is resting on the firing pin. BC cannot be pulled back with hammer on pin and lever in SAFE. I noticed this because I usually store my AR's with the hammer resting on the pin with lever on FIRE.

Other than that, the McC is one super fine trigger. I installed the single-stage CURVED in an M4gery... It is light but oh so sweet! Easy install but pins took some effort as they are slightly oversized. Not worried about this as it is just a Mega lower and the McC will probably stay there for life of rifle.

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/3/2005 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The only "peculiarity" on the McCormick trigger is that it allows you to put the safety lever to SAFE when the hammer is resting on the firing pin. BC cannot be pulled back with hammer on pin and lever in SAFE. I noticed this because I usually store my AR's with the hammer resting on the pin with lever on FIRE.

Interesting.  I had not noticed that.  I just checked mine dconfirmed, yes you can put the selector in the safe position with the hammer uncocked.

BTW; I ran about 75Rounds of Black Hills and Hornady ammo through mine the other day with no FTF.  I fdont know what weight hammer spring CMC used, but its heavy enough for comericial primers for sure.  Still have to try ammo with miltary primers.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 5:47:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 6:26:17 AM EDT
[#32]
I agree, the c-clip is a non-issue... pin is tight in receiver, c-clip sits away from receiver finish, offers very minimal places for a hangup on something...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#33]

folks,
i recently purchased a CM trigger from wes at MSTN.  i chose the single stage curved.

like many others have found, the supplied CM pins are a few thousandths proud of the nominal trigger pin hole size.  i chose *not* to hammer the pins in and instead carefully shed a few thousandths off of the supplied pins using some fine emery cloth.  i fitted the pins tight, they do not rotate but at the same time getting them in and out does not deform the receiver holes.  hence, periodic disassembly for cleaning/inspection/etc is trivial.

to reiterate what was said above, the E-clips do not detract from this otherwise excellent trigger assembly.  properly installed, they stand off about 0.010" from the receiver side and i can't really see how they could catch on anything.  the clips are well retained in the pin groove by tension and need a pretty good push with the blunt end of a BIC pen to extract.

just my 0.02 on the matter.

ar-jedi

ps: as you can see from the pictures below, my lower is a bushy.  the selector can *not* be returned to "safe" with the hammer forward.  it will go about 1/2 way to around 10:30 but can not be rotated further.  incidentally, this brings up another point...  when i installed the trigger assy, i had to leave out the rearmost trigger pin to get the selector back into the lower; otherwise, the trigger assy "tail" (sorry, don't know the correct term) would interfere very slightly (few thousandths) with insertion of the selector barrel.  leaving out the rear trigger pin allows the CM trigger assembly to temporarily sit just a tad lower; this is all it takes to get the selector barrel into the lower receiver.

Link Posted: 3/4/2005 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Great pics!!!

Wonder why your safety lever would not and mine and anothers would move to SAFE with hammer up? I have a Mega lower with a RRA lower parts kit... Maybe safety lever is different somehow?

So, what do you think of your McC trigger? Sweet, ain't it...

Even if the SHTF and we enter TEOTWAWKI, I don't think I would need a heavier pull trigger in there... With the McC there is NO error due to gritty, heavy triggers...

Maybe a long drop or super-heavy jolt may cause gun to fire, otherwise it is solid. Plus, rifle should be in SAFE until you are actually aiming rifle to shoot anyways...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Great pics!!!

Wonder why your safety lever would not and mine and anothers would move to SAFE with hammer up? I have a Mega lower with a RRA lower parts kit... Maybe safety lever is different somehow?

Mine is in an Oly lower with Oly parts kit.  Safety will go on with hammer uncocked.
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#36]
The conspiracy widens...  

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/4/2005 1:45:56 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

i was wondering the same -- maybe a question for the folks at CMC.

Quoted:
So, what do you think of your McC trigger? Sweet, ain't it...

have not put any rounds downrange yet but it sure feels *really* nice.

Quoted:
Even if the SHTF and we enter TEOTWAWKI, I don't think I would need a heavier pull trigger in there... With the McC there is NO error due to gritty, heavy triggers...

i have an uber-KISS plain jane M4-gery for SHTF/TEOTWAWKI; the pictures above are of a RECCE-ish target rifle with big glass on top.  that said, just based on dry firing the CM trigger, it is fairly light but not scary-couldn't-be-used-in-a-pinch light.  the reasons i got the single stage curved CM trigger assy for the RECCE-ish rifle were that a) operation etc is consistent across both my ARs, and b) i'm not looking for the last tenths of an MOA that a two stage straight may provide.

which brings me to...

Quoted:
rifle should be in SAFE until you are actually aiming rifle to shoot anyways...

hence why i would definitely inquire with CMC about the selector lever issue you note above.  i always looked at the AR trigger/selector/safety system as a little foolproof.  if the hammer is not back you can't safe it.  and, correspondingly, when it's is safed with a round in the chamber you are ready to rock and roll just by moving your thumb a quarter of an inch.  

with the CMC trigger installed in your upper, as you described, it's possible to be in a odd situation -- round in the chamber but hammer forward, with selector on safe. there's movement, you acquire target, flip safety off, pull trigger, and... nothing.  it would appear to me that it's somewhat difficult to get the rifle in that exact state, but, given the opportunity, every once in a while good ol' Mr Murphy will pop in to say "Hi, I'm here to screw up your day!".  performing SPORTS in a hurry will correct from this mode.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 9:24:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Dumb question that I haven't seen answered:

What happens if you use the normal AR pins with the CMC drop-in, instead of the oversized pins with the C-clips?
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

What happens if you use the normal AR pins with the CMC drop-in, instead of the oversized pins with the C-clips?

They fall out.

Link Posted: 3/6/2005 5:55:34 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

jack,
the OEM pins have grooves in them which mate with the OEM trigger springs.  that is, spring tension keeps the normal pins in the receiver.  with the CMC assy, all of the trigger components, including the various springs, are inside a small enclosure.  there is no spring tension on the normal pins if you put them back in to the CMC trgger assy; just a bit of friction fit.  hence, they will eventually work themselves out when shooting.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/6/2005 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Thanks, Ar-Jedi, that's a good point.  

I believe that both the CMc and the JP drop-ins have non-rotating bushing shafts that just "ride" on the pins. The trigger and hammer then rotate on the outside of the bushings. Pin-walk is mainly due to the rotation of the hammer and trigger, and friction couping that rotational motion to the pins. Since the CmC and JP bushings don't rotate, there's nothing that would work the pins out, unless the whole assembly wriggles a little.

I could be wrong about the CMc and JP having non-rotating bushings, it's just what they look like in the images.

In any case, I could try the normal pins and, if I get pin walk, change them out for the larger pins with clips.

I have a non-drop-in  JP trigger group in my #1 AR now and had to use a pin and clip on the hammer to keep it from walking (it makes nice 2 and 3-shot bursts when the pin slides out a little!!). I don't like the way it looks, and I catch my cleaning cloth on the clip.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 2:33:08 AM EDT
[#42]
I think this deserves a bump since alot of us are buying these triggers!
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#43]
Great pics AR-Jedi!

I've been looking at the CMC triggers for a while but have been waiting to see if they live up to the hype.  Looks like they're good to go.  

The only thing that still bugs me about them are the pins being slightly oversized for some lowers and the e-clips that hold the pins on.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 5:31:12 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
The only thing that still bugs me about them are the pins being slightly oversized for some lowers and the e-clips that hold the pins on.

That bugged me too, which is why I contacted Denny and purchased a KNS anti rotation pin set to go with my McCormick 2-stage curved trigger.  Yojimbo, I'm really, really happy with this setup.  I have no problems recommending it to anyone.  Yeah, you're going to spend $29 for the pins, but I think the cost to be well worth the price of admission.
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That bugged me too, which is why I contacted Denny and purchased a KNS anti rotation pin set to go with my McCormick 2-stage curved trigger.  Yojimbo, I'm really, really happy with this setup.  I have no problems recommending it to anyone.  Yeah, you're going to spend $29 for the pins, but I think the cost to be well worth the price of admission.

TFS,

Yes, I've wondered about using the KNS pins the CMC trigger.  It's good to know that they work well together, I may need to try this combo myself...
Link Posted: 4/11/2005 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#46]
i just checked my trigger (two stage curved) and the safety does not switch

bushmaster lower and lpk's
also does anyone have both single and two stage? which one would be better or preferred?

Link Posted: 4/12/2005 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#47]
I just got my CM yesterday and all I can say is wow! There are two things that all my ARs will have, a Sierra SPR pistol grip and CM trigger!

I was worried about the oversized pins too but once I got them in I was no longer worried about it. Those pins are not going anywhere.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top