Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2005 9:37:16 PM EDT
This thing is a cinch to install.  Modifying the tools (receiver block and filing the pins on my armorers wrench) took most of the time.  I still need to test fire it to see if I got the gas block lined up properly.  And I won't have to drill the barrel for the gas block as one of the allen bolts is biting into the factory taper pin cut.

I am absolutely, thoroughly impressed with this.  This is finally a rail system that I would go to war with and not worry about.

Upper is a Colt MT6731.  HBAR bbl was turned to medium contour and threaded by ADCO.  In this pic it's wearing a Bushie lower as I still haven't put the Colt one back together (ADCO just drilled it for a push pin kit).

The bbl in the past has consistently given me <1" groups at 100 yards with the right ammo and if I was doing my part.  Eventually I'll probably post an evolution of this rifle to show you all where I've been with it and what I've tried on it.  Needless to say, I'm sticking with this LaRue.  

Corey

PS  Thanks to Wes at MSTN for the rail and gasblock and to all of you for the advice in getting it installed.  I can't wait to get the 9.0 for my midlength rifle!

EDITED for typo.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks very good Corey!  I'm jealous...     What mods to your wrench pins were necessary?  I know about what you have to do to the action block, but never heard of wrench problems.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Looks very good Corey!  I'm jealous...     What mods to your wrench pins were necessary?  I know about what you have to do to the action block, but never heard of wrench problems.

In a BiY thread I started someone said the pins were a bit wide on the DPMS wrench.  A bit of filing (slight, BTW) and they fit perfect.

Corey
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:08:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:56:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:58:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I HAD A COUPLE OF DPMS WRENCHES BREAK OFF A PIN YEARS AGO. NOW, THEY DO NOT EVEN OFFER A 1/2" DRIVE CUTOUT FOR A TORQUE WRENCH.

THE SMITH'S ENTERPRISES WRENCH WORKS PERFECTLY WITH THE LARUE FORENDS WITH NO MODICFICATIONS. AND IT ACCOMODATES A TORQUE WRENCH.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

i broke teh pegs off two dpms wrenches and a yhm wrench while installing my larue 7.0's
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I HAD A COUPLE OF DPMS WRENCHES BREAK OFF A PIN YEARS AGO. NOW, THEY DO NOT EVEN OFFER A 1/2" DRIVE CUTOUT FOR A TORQUE WRENCH.

THE SMITH'S ENTERPRISES WRENCH WORKS PERFECTLY WITH THE LARUE FORENDS WITH NO MODICFICATIONS. AND IT ACCOMODATES A TORQUE WRENCH.

WES GRANT
M.S.T.N.

i broke teh pegs off two dpms wrenches and a yhm wrench while installing my larue 7.0's

My wrench only needs to last one more LaRue install!

I also wanted to say that lining it up was a snap.  Particularly with no front sight assembly and before the front Troy BUIS was installed it was just a matter of sighting down the plane of the rail and receiver (and using a level and straight edge to confirm).  I torqued the barrel nut on a couple of times and made sure I was tightening it to level (not loosening it).  Initially the nut was a bit over rotated.  Instead of loosening it, I took the barrel nut off, started the threads in a different spot, and the last little nudge to line up the rail took it to just about the max torque (and there's no way it would've made it to the next hole).

Quite frankly, starting the gas tube pin was more challenging than installing the rail.  I was very pleasantly surprised.

Corey

EDITED for typos/clarity.  Darn am I tired....
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quite frankly, starting the gas tube pin was more challenging than installing the rail.  I was very pleasantly surprised.

Yep, I hate those recessed FSBs/gas blocks.  Getting those pins started are a bitch.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:44:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I hate those recessed FSBs/gas blocks.  Getting those pins started are a bitch.

LaRue is nice enough to include a pin with beveled edges.  Of course, that didn't stop me from trying the OEM version for 10 minutes before giving up and going with the LaRue pin (which started pretty easy once I held in place long enough to get a good solid tap).

Corey
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
That looks great Corey!
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:23:56 AM EDT
[#10]
That looks great. Is it a 20"?

Does anyone have a link for the Smith wrench Wes was talking about?
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:01:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That looks great. Is it a 20"?

Does anyone have a link for the Smith wrench Wes was talking about?

It is a 16" barrel with A2 flash suppressor and LaRue 12.0 rail.

I put the Colt lower back together last night and the rifle now has an A1 stock on it.  With the 12.0 rail the rifle actually looks and feels well balanced with the fixed stock (which works well in this application).  Ultimately I'll probably put a clubfoot VLTOR on it just to make it a little more versatile, but because I've always liked the A1 stock for prone scoped shooting I'm not in any hurry to make the switch.

Corey
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/26/2005 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I talked to Grant about some spare parts I had and I ended up with a rifle very similar to yours.  It’s got a 16” Bushy M4-profile barrel with a LaRue gas block.  The rail is a LaRue 9.0 rail.  For sights I went with flip-up Troy front and rear & an EOTech.

No problems at all with the gas block, even on full-auto.  First time I really stress tested the rifle I was specifically trying to see if the gas block would move around.  I dumped 3 30-rounders on full-auto and tried to move the gas block (hitting it with a screwdriver).  Three more 30-rounders as fast as I could insert the mags resulted in a severely hot rifle.  The block still wouldn’t budge.  I let it cool down and tried again to move the block but she held tight.

I couldn’t be happier with the rifle.

BTW, I just got that same LaRue SPR/M4 scope mount.  Absolutely love it.  Looks good on that blaster of yours.

BTW, I was talking with Mark LaRue yesterday about an unrelated matter and he mentioned dimpling of the barrel for his gasblock.  He said get it set it place, test fire it, then remove one of the allen bolts.  Take a drill (even handheld is okay if you're careful) and with a bit that just fits in the gasblock bolt hole, use the gasblock itself as a bit guide.  Be careful not to ding the threads on the gasblock and dimple the barrel enough so the bolt will recess in the hole.  Install that allen bolt, remove the other, and repeat.  Then use red locktite on the allen bolts.

I'll do that once I test fire the rifle to make sure I hit the gas port.

Corey
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#15]
tag
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Solution
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 2:21:29 PM EDT
[#17]
looks good!
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, that does look great.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Would the Oly arms wrench work on the Larue FF as well as the Smith?
Link Posted: 7/1/2005 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top