Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2005 6:51:42 PM EDT
Anyone have any info, good or bad, about MGI's QCB upper receiver?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Mike,

I have had one for a couple of months now, and could not be happier.  I have a 10.5 and 16" 5.56 barrel, a 458 Socom, and a 22LR barrel.  Still trying to decide on a mid caliber barrel.  One Aimpoint M3, one Nightforce 3.5-15x50, and irons on all of barrels except for the 22LR.  My friends have started calling me 007, and they shake their heads a lot.  Pretty amazing system.

Craig
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm curious what you think of the mounting system?  I really like to run my EOTech forward and I "don't believe" that there is a rail on the top?   Also, I read you can remove the  3 rails?  How hard is that to do?  How sturdy are they?  

I really want to get this setup for my M16, but, the lack of upper rail really concerns me.  This could be the ultimate all purpose upper, if you could mount different gear for different barrels.

Finally, how well does the MGI hold POA if you remove and reinstall the same barrel?

Thanks Bearbait, or other RKI's.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:53:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one.
Bushy 14.5" 1/7

Bushy 20" 1/7 with the extension tube

Only 2 probs I have ever had with it was the paint was a little thick on my custom 6 oclock rail so I had a helluva time getting my Tango Down on it and the paint flaked off the release levers pretty quick. Other than that it's a great product and Tom(twl) and MGI are great people to deal with. I love being able to swap my barrels and break it down small enough so I dont have to carry a gun case around and get funny looks from my neighbors.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:43:03 AM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
V188,

Hope this is better late than never.

With regards to the rails, they are actually pretty sturdy.  They are set in with machine screws and are set tight.  I know this as I removed my lower bipod/grip rail, as I like the Harris attachment and do not use a FG.

I have done what I think is a pretty slick thing to mine to make a "monolithic" top rail to the front.
I purchased the extra long ARMS rail for the AR10.  It goes from the back of the receiver (where I milled it off for an Arms 40L flip sight) all the way to the front edge of the carbine MGI tube.  I actually found that the height of the MGI rail that I removed from the bottom made a perfect "shim" for the gap under the Arms rail (bottom of rail to top of HG tube).  I drilled and tapped this juncture for two small screws, and installed them from the underside.  Made them flush with the top of the Arms rail, and viola, one long top picatiny rail that makes the entire system very very sturdy.  Absolutely zero movement of any kind.  Plenty of room for goodies, although I have found that my M3 and Nightforce 3.5-15x50 mount no farther forward than a quality canilever mount will get you, or the Arms medium extended rail.  I get the added benefit of having airspace under most of the extended rail, for cooling.

Craig

My last project will be to probably refinish all of this, sometime this winter.    
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
V188,

Hope this is better late than never.

With regards to the rails, they are actually pretty sturdy.  They are set in with machine screws and are set tight.  I know this as I removed my lower bipod/grip rail, as I like the Harris attachment and do not use a FG.

I have done what I think is a pretty slick thing to mine to make a "monolithic" top rail to the front.
I purchased the extra long ARMS rail for the AR10.  It goes from the back of the receiver (where I milled it off for an Arms 40L flip sight) all the way to the front edge of the carbine MGI tube.  I actually found that the height of the MGI rail that I removed from the bottom made a perfect "shim" for the gap under the Arms rail (bottom of rail to top of HG tube).  I drilled and tapped this juncture for two small screws, and installed them from the underside.  Made them flush with the top of the Arms rail, and viola, one long top picatiny rail that makes the entire system very very sturdy.  Absolutely zero movement of any kind.  Plenty of room for goodies, although I have found that my M3 and Nightforce 3.5-15x50 mount no farther forward than a quality canilever mount will get you, or the Arms medium extended rail.  I get the added benefit of having airspace under most of the extended rail, for cooling.

Craig

My last project will be to probably refinish all of this, sometime this winter.    

got pics?

I was thinking about adding a longer rail to the top of mine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:46:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll see what I can do for some pics.  Pretty busy around here, with the hunting seasons fast approaching.

Craig
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:12:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Great.. I was going to order a upper today and I come across this thread, now I am all interested...
I have been to their web site and can use more information. The upper I am assuming is WITHOUT a barrel for $550. Where should I search for more informaton as far as barrel availablity (varous sizes and calibers) and who would have the lowes prices or package deals ? Of course a .223 is a must but for those times I do not have the opportunity to go to the outdoor range do they make pistol calibers ? A mag well adapter along with glock mags and .40 would sound nice to take to the local range but then again we would need a bolt carrier that can handle the .40 too. Boy this would be expensive...

Rich
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#10]
it's $550 with out the barrel. You can find barrels on the EE or other industry partners. Id spend a week or so researching different barrels to see what you want and you should be able to find what you are looking for on the EE.  Just be patient.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#12]
tag......good thing I checked before posting, I just read the MGI add in SAR about the modular lower.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top