Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/29/2005 7:34:05 PM EDT
Has anybody purchased and installed one of these yet?  I am considering it for my first build.  Problem is that I was originally planning on using a PRI barrel mounted flip up front sight because I was gonna be mounting a nice scope, and I'm not sure how it would look/work.  Please share your thoughts and pics guys.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm also interested in hearing more news on this system. $300 seems a bit steep for a system that elevates almost all of the flattop (a la SIR).
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:13:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw one briefly at a show in Houston. Aside from the elevated rail height (which may or may not be an issue with you) it was super-nice.

If I were to buy a railed handguard that elevated the rail height, this would be the one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:37:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:41:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow Wes. Didn't notice the "slanted" rail attachment points. Does VLTOR make this in their traditional tan/coyote brown? That shade seems a bit lighter.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:32:33 AM EDT
[#8]
The cantilever mounts have one marked advantage over the current crop of handguards, that being that they do not use the barrel nut as an attachement point. As you know, the nut was never intended to support the type of load that a handguard mounted to it generates and causes excessive flexing at the front of the receiver, in relation to the CL of the barrel and bolt bore.

This flexing is attributed to the rash of breaking bolts that we are seeing in the field. The "over rail" systems for the most part do not put stress on the barrel nut. Given the increase in reliability, I would take the raised rail height (usually run a spacer anyway) any day. I also love that CAS-V is trimmer and the rails can be taken off/moved... I really don't need a linear yard of rail and would rather not have the front of my rifle feel like a cheese grater.

Reinforced reciever designs are available, but cost considerably more than fifty bucks and in the one example that I know of require a shop to do a barrel change.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:25:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you guys think the elevated rail would pose a problem mounting a decent scope?  I plan on shooting out to about 200 yards, so I probabaly won't go with a huge scope, but can anyone tell me if there would be any possible problems as far as scope mounting?

Also, how much of a hinderence is the front sight post when looking through a decent scope?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the pics Wes.  That is kind of along the lines of what I have in mind.  What scope is that anyway?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:45:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I have been running an IOR M2 on my CASV. I am using IOR medium QD rings. They ride high enough to clear my BUIS. I like the IOR rings but they are a bit heavy. I need to find a good deal on a set of ARMS or Larues medium rings.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#14]
The shroud on the front looks like a good idea for the application that  JoeS40 suggests...it would serve to protect the PRI gas block/flip front sight (especially when folded), which is not as strong as the standard fixed gas block/front sight base.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the replies guys.  Like I said this is my first build and I'm trying to get it all planned out before I order everything.  Providing I can mount a decent scope to reach out to about 200 yards with no problems looking over the front sight post, i think I will go that route.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:45:11 PM EDT
[#16]
One more thing I just thought of.  Would a taller front sight post be needed since the back up rear sight would be mounted higher?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
One more thing I just thought of.  Would a taller front sight post be needed since the back up rear sight would be mounted higher?

There's space at the end of the rail for the sight to mount directly to the Upper, not on the elevated rail.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I now notice that, thank you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Am I correct in understanding the CASV-EL will NOT co-witness with an EOTech?

Looks like Aimpoint is fine though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:16:31 AM EDT
[#21]
The EOTech will not co-witness. The Aimpoint will. You are correct.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:24:56 AM EDT
[#22]
"Guns & Weapons for Law Enforcement Magazine" did a spread  that imcluded the Vltor review

By Charlie Cutshaw, one of the best arms review writers anywhere.

He does come across in this one as a bit of a sales rep, but the content and pix are 100%
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I cant comment on the newest ones, but, the early versions that I got from Abrams (before they merged with VLTOR) to check out, were VERY nice. I still have one on my fathers rifle. Very well made and very user friendly. I wouldnt hesitate to use one on a new build.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/Guns/IM001012.jpg

I was just cleaning up some stuff and found an original Abrams midlength system all brandy new! Probably one of like single digits made -- It is very nice, but may have to go on the EE anyway!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a CASV-EL on my Diemaco barrlled upper.  This is one light weight unit with a lot of excellent features.  the open airy handguard is perfect for a gas piston system and I think the POF will fit under pretty nicely... Of course someone might just release gas upper that will work with the CASV-EL.

The quick release lower rail is a good idea, it allows for easy cleaning...

The rail is designed to snap into your delta ring and it is a cinch to install, it took me about five minutes to tighten all the allen screws and get the rail on my upper.

the rail on rail concept is not my favorite, but it is the rigid platform with out having to pay for a LMT MRP... no other rail system besides the ARMS SIR can claim that.

screw recepticle on the handguard allows for multiple mounting location besides the standard 3, 6, 9, 12 o'clock postion.

EOTech can't co-witness, but you are good to go with an Aimpoint or a Tri-power.

the rail is 1913 Spec.....unlike some other rail system on the market..

did I mention light weight..

I will post pics tonight...

I really like the CASV-EL... it is definitely a worthy purchase if you are looking for a instead on free float rail that also convert your upper into a rigid platform.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:55:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:39:15 AM EDT
[#28]
There seemed to be some interest in a midlength version of this rail in MSTN's VLTOR CASV thread in the EE. I wonder why VLTOR hasn't released one yet.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone know how much the rail is elevated over the reciever rail?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:28:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
There seemed to be some interest in a midlength version of this rail in MSTN's VLTOR CASV thread in the EE. I wonder why VLTOR hasn't released one yet.

I was just talking to Eric about this the other day.  They've been so busy with MIL orders that they've had no time to really work on the mid length again.  I believe we will see one in the next few months, however.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#32]
The real reason for the removable lower is obviously to take a M203.

Simon
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#33]
How much does the new model weight, the new model that hooks around the front sight model ?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#34]
I bought an M4gery upper when I really wanted a middie.  I installed YHM drop-in rails and ladder-style protectors, knowing all the while that I wanted a smooth forend with a minimum of cheese-grater because I don't need said cheese-grater.  Let's just say that I leap before I look.  Impulse buying has always been my weakness.

The good news is that I might, just might, be able to talk myself into one of these forends for that next build.  They are a bit high in price, but I like that the rails are removable and that the weight is supported by the receiver's rail, not the barrel nut.  All of the other smooth/modular forends I have seen, and really like, work off of the barrel nut.  They might be cheaper, but...

I'll look forward to seeing if they produce a midlength unit in the next few months.  If not, I'll just have to sell the YHM piece and buy a Vltor.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#35]
There's no way to mount an EoTech on one of these babies?! Damn, I wished they'd mentioned that on the website when I ordered one last week :(

Crap, I guess it' going back as I far perfer my EoTech to a Aimpoint.

j
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#37]
I've had mine for a few days now, and here are some of my initial impressions/thoughts:

- The clearance between a LaRue LT152 mounted Aimpoint and the top rail is such that if you flip the front cover down it will obscure just about all of the front sight post when aligning the irons.  I imagine it's worse with lower mounts like the ARMS and KAC.  

-  This handguard system may not be the best solution if you don't use a vertical grip.  Unlike the SIR, it's of all aluminum construction and thus will conduct heat to and from your hands much more readily.  Gloves might aleviate this issue.

-  Installation was a piece of cake.

-  No problems installing the TangoDown verticle grip, almost like it was designed to fit this rail spec...

Anyway, here's where mine ended up:

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I've had mine for a few days now, and here are some of my initial impressions/thoughts:

- The clearance between a LaRue LT152 mounted Aimpoint and the top rail is such that if you flip the front cover down it will obscure just about all of the front sight post when aligning the irons.  I imagine it's worse with lower mounts like the ARMS and KAC.  

-  This handguard system may not be the best solution if you don't use a vertical grip.  Unlike the SIR, it's of all aluminum construction and thus will conduct heat to and from your hands much more readily.  Gloves might aleviate this issue.

-  Installation was a piece of cake.

-  No problems installing the TangoDown verticle grip, almost like it was designed to fit this rail spec...

Anyway, here's where mine ended up:

img84.imageshack.us/img84/8915/vltor40ae.jpg

Looks great!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#39]
I got my CASV from Mooneys Firearms a little while ago. Sturdy, light, easy as heck install.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:30:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I have a CASV-EL on my Diemaco barrlled upper.  This is one light weight unit with a lot of excellent features.  the open airy handguard is perfect for a gas piston system and I think the POF will fit under pretty nicely... Of course someone might just release gas upper that will work with the CASV-EL

Does anyone know for sure if this rail system will fit on a POF piston upper. One of my buddies has one and I have to say it will run and gun with the best of them. No problems yet. The only prob I have is the predator rail system. I like it. I just don't like that I can't take it off myself.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:53:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#43]
If I put rear and front BUIS, will this allow proper co-witness with a EOtech?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:55:19 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If I put rear and front BUIS, will this allow proper co-witness with a EOtech?

This is one is designed to use the standard front sight tower. Mounting a front sight on the rail would make it to high for the rear sight, which is and should be, mounted on the receiver.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm thinking about getting an accucam for my eotech so it could be removed quickly if it failed.  Also does anyone know how well the OD version matches the Magpul and Tango Down OD?  Aside from the eotech problem I REALLY like this rail system, and will probably end up getting one soon.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I got my CASV from Mooneys Firearms a little while ago. Sturdy, light, easy as heck install.

i1.tinypic.com/mubl6p.jpg

How is the height for the scope you have mounted?  Cheek weld non-existent with the higher rail?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#47]
I have played with one of CMMG's ones, It was nice but the fact i can't cowitness my eotech rules it out completly.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
How is the height for the scope you have mounted?  Cheek weld non-existent with the higher rail?

Cheek-weld is fine for me. No odd contortions to get a proper cheek-weld.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Too bad the EoTech will not mount properly.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#50]
Hello,

How would a TA31 in a Larue mount work with the CASV-EL? I am curious about the position as far as ones cheek weld. Would the scope in the Larue mount be too high?

ct602
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top