Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 12:28:30 PM EDT
I've looked around, and I can't seem to find a TRUE light weight carbine barrel in 1/7 besides Colt's.  I realize CMMG makes one, but it doesn't have the correct contour under the FSB.  

My criterion for the barrel I want are as follows:

TRUE LW profile
chrome lined
1/7
parked under FSB
14.5in would be great, but 16 will work

M4 feed ramps not neccessary

If anyone has any idea where to get a barrel like this, please let me know, for I can't find one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've looked around, and I can't seem to find a TRUE light weight carbine barrel in 1/7 besides Colt's.  I realize CMMG makes one, but it doesn't have the correct contour under the FSB.  

My criterion for the barrel I want are as follows:

TRUE LW profile
chrome lined
1/7
parked under FSB
14.5in would be great, but 16 will work

M4 feed ramps not neccessary

If anyone has any idea where to get a barrel like this, please let me know, for I can't find one.

+1
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:19:15 PM EDT
[#2]
+1.  I ended up buying a new Colt 6520 upper on the EE.

I've considered having an M4 turned down and buying a used A1 sight from Sarco, having it installed.

My criteria'd be the same as yours - 14.5", no M4 cuts needed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
+1.  I ended up buying a new Colt 6520 upper on the EE.

I've considered having an M4 turned down and buying a used A1 sight from Sarco, having it installed.

My criteria'd be the same as yours - 14.5", no M4 cuts needed.

I've thought of just getting a complete 6520, but I don't want the A2 upper.  Especially with the chance of getting one w/ Dremeled feed ramps-at least I worry about that with the rumors that have been going around here.

I wish Paul would offer them in his new BCM line of uppers.  They (BCM) are the best uppers for the money, and I think he's really missing out by not offering something for the light weight niche.  I really like giving him my business too.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:54:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
We have the 14.5s in stock

Here is a Link.

Hope this is what  you are looking for.

I would love for it to be, other than the standard contour under the FSB.  I would love to do business with your company as I have never heard anything but the best about CMMG.  

I suppose one of those might work out for a future project I have in mind, however.  Do you park under the FSB?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd be happy if I could find a Colt 14.5 1/7 LWT barrel, at any price.

None to be had though, it seems.

Get an 11.5 instead, they are cooler anyway.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:16:38 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:38:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Why are you so adamant about the front sight base?  The larger diameter of the CMMG barrel under the FSB allows them to use the "F" marked FSB for better compatibility with BUIS on a flattop.

Or you could just buy a 6520 and change out the upper like I did.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:58:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why are you so adamant about the front sight base?  The larger diameter of the CMMG barrel under the FSB allows them to use the "F" marked FSB for better compatibility with BUIS on a flattop.

Not to speak for somebody else but as I'm in the same boat I'll say this..

1. Don't need a "F" marked sight base (plan to use a C7 upper)
2. Colt makes "F" marked .625 FSB's
3. Even if I was going to use a flattop upper, I don't need an "F" marked FSB. Taller sight post works just as well.

I want a quality made ,chome lined, perferable 1/7 twist classic LW barrel. Not a heavy barrel that has been turned down (where convenient) as an after thought.

Quoted:

I will say the Colt 6520 is about the only factory built AR I would consider buying as it's setup almost perfect right out of the box (the upper receiver being the only part I would change) and for an average street price of just under $1K, it's not that overpriced considering what you're getting.

That said, I already have most of what I need so why would I buy a $1k carbine when all I need is a ~$100 receiver and a ~$200-250 barrel?

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:09:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I will say the Colt 6520 is about the only factory built AR I would consider buying as it's setup almost perfect right out of the box (the upper receiver being the only part I would change) and for an average street price of just under $1K, it's not that overpriced considering what you're getting.

That said, I already have most of what I need so why would I buy a $1k carbine when all I need is a ~$100 receiver and a ~$200-250 barrel?

Sounds like poor planning but if that's the boat you're in then that's the boat you're in.  If you really want just the barrel

www.specializedarmament.com/jsps/sku.jsp?field=Part&value=SP64889
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:11:13 AM EDT
[#11]
There appear to be two parallel threads

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=266775&page=1
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:29:05 AM EDT
[#12]
jtdistributing offers a 14.5 lw in their catolog.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like poor planning but if that's the boat you're in then that's the boat you're in.  If you really want just the barrel

www.specializedarmament.com/jsps/sku.jsp?field=Part&value=SP64889

Poor planning? Yeah, ok, whatever dude.

It's called having spare lower and some other assorted parts and deciding a nice light weight truck gun would be a nice thing to have. Which is another reason why a 6520 wouldn't work here. I don't know about you but I don't want to leave a $1k gun in my truck. Depending on what I pay for the barrel, I'll have ~ $600 into the whole thing which is why I won't be calling SAW sales anytime too soon!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

3. Even if I was going to use a flattop upper, I don't need an "F" marked FSB. Taller sight post works just as well.

I want a quality made ,chome lined, perferable 1/7 twist classic LW barrel. Not a heavy barrel that has been turned down (where convenient) as an after thought.

Quoted:

big +1
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

big +1

I'm gonna be bad... Big +2   (ETA: Its like adding fuel to the fire, BUT I really do think there should be a barrel like this)
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:29:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
jtdistributing offers a 14.5 lw in their catolog.

I looked through J&T Dist's catalog (pdf file) and did not find one.  I could have missed it though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It's called having spare lower and some other assorted parts and deciding a nice light weight truck gun would be a nice thing to have. Which is another reason why a 6520 wouldn't work here. I don't know about you but I don't want to leave a $1k gun in my truck. Depending on what I pay for the barrel, I'll have ~ $600 into the whole thing which is why I won't be calling SAW sales anytime too soon!

You are, obviously, entitled to spend your money how you want, but I don't understand why, if it's just a truck gun, it really matters as to the size of the barrel under the FSB.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
You are, obviously, entitled to spend your money how you want, but I don't understand why, if it's just a truck gun, it really matters as to the size of the barrel under the FSB.

So let me understand what you are saying...for a truck gun I shouldn't worry about it and just slap any ol' thing together? Well that's not the way I do things but to each their own. Either way, if you feel it's so meaningless, maybe you should contact Colt and tell them to quit wasting their time and money messing around with different sized FSB's and just make them all .750

Even better yet, how many rounds do you have on your 6520? How about I buy one of these brand new CMMG barrels and have it shipped to you and you send me your old, used 6520 barrel?

Look, its really this simply. Gimme_A_Carbine asked if anybody, other then Colt, makes a barrel with the same profile and basic specs of a Colt 6520 barrel in either 14.5" or 16". CMMG offered up one of their barrels but they are not what Gimme_A_Carbine asked for (i.e. a "TRUE LW profile"). If you can suggest a non-Colt, normal production barrel with the specs Gimme_A_Carbine asked for great! Otherwise, could you do use all a favor and please stop trolling this thread? Thank you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:34:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Christ you're touchy.

It's not "trolling" to point out that no, what you want isn't available, and to ask why it is that you want something a certain way.  Maybe, since you're obviously so much more knowledgeable about these things than me, you know something that I don't that's important for me to learn.

Instead it would appear that you have no real justification for what you want and that when called on it you get all pissy.

So I'll ask again, what difference does it make what diameter the barrel under the FSB is?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Christ you're touchy.

Yeah, I guess I am. Probably because I’m sitting here with a friggen Sinus infection and my fucking head is killing me and now I’ve let myself get dragged into another stupid Internet argument with another ARFCOM “know it all” that seems to think I need to justify what I want because I don’t want what they are recommending.

Quoted:
It's not "trolling" to point out that no, what you want isn't available,

1. Would it have killed you to just say “as far as I know, nobody makes what you are looking for?”?
2. For the record, It’s not what I want. What I want is already available. I already know that I will be using a Colt LW barrel for my build. In my case, it will just be a matter of finding the right one for what I’m willing to pay for it. I only clicked on this thread to see what, if anything else, was available.

Quoted:
Maybe, since you're obviously so much more knowledgeable about these things than me,…

Yeah, that’s it. I’m the “know-it-all” here

Quoted:
Instead it would appear that you have no real justification for what you want and that when called on it you get all pissy.

What pissed me off is your arrogance. Who the fuck are you? Are you my Mother? My Father? My wife or my Boss? No? Then why the fuck do I, or anybody else here, have to justify what we want to you? Are you a member of the FBP (Fucking Barrel Police)?

Well apparently you aren’t going to go away until I tell you so here…I want a lightweight barrel because I want a light, quality barrel for a KISS build that I can use for a truck gun, knock around plinker, trainer, whatever and I was inspired by THIS thread. I do not want one of those CMMG barrels with the .750 gas block because…
A. While not by much, they will be heavier then a true LW barrel with a proper .625 gas block and
B. I think they look cheesy. It looks like they had some M4 type barrels that they decide to re-profile into LW barrels but didn’t feel like going through the trouble\expense of finding the correct gas block and just used what they had on hand.
C. I think they are somewhat over priced I'll just say they cost more then I would be willing to pay for one.

This may be “just a parts gun” that I'm trying to keep the costs down on and will be knocked around but that doesn't mean I can't have it the way I want it. I'll be the first to admit I'm a picky SOB and i want things the way I want them. Low cost doesn’t mean I have to go low quality or take shortcuts. Is that a good enough reason for you? If not, too bad.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Really and truly, take your pills and calm down.  You've gone past having issues and moved right on to having a whole subscription.

I'm not asking you to justify anything to me, I'm asking you to explain your criteria in case there's something I never thought of.  Evidently appearance is high on your list of criteria for a gun that's going to ride around in a truck.  That is not a criteria for me.  Your hissy fit and continued attempts to rationalize your choice makes it pretty clear that you care an aweful lot more about my opinion than you let on.  Are you trying to convince me or yourself?  

And to answer your question; no, apparently you can't have in the way you want.

Now it's up to you to either:
1) Pitch a hissy fit on the internet and attack the messenger
2) Compromise and get the next best thing
3) Wait around and hope you stumble on a cheap 6520 barrel
4) Get off your wallet and have a barrel turned down
5) Get off your wallet and buy a new 6520 barrel
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:34:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's what I would do to get a 6520 barrel, but this is just me.

Go here.  Order the 6520 upper receiver.  Sell the upper receiver and possibly the bolt and carrier.  Should be able to get around $275-300 from some Cult member out there.  I'd also sell the handguards, delta and handguard cap, because I float everything and wouldn't need these.  This may get you in a 6520 barrel for at or under $300.  Not too bad compared to alot of prices out there, and it's new.

FWIW, I got a used 6520 upper off of the EE for $350 (no B/C/CH).  The barrel was, for all intents and purposes, new.  I sold the receiver for $125.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Dude, you're an idiot. I can see you have nothing better to do then drag this out forever so let me finish by clearing up and few things and then you can get back to your superiority complex

Quoted:
I'm not asking you to justify anything to me, I'm asking you to explain your criteria in case there's something I never thought of. Evidently appearance is high on your list of criteria for a gun that's going to ride around in a truck. That is not a criteria for me. Your hissy fit and continued attempts to rationalize your choice makes it pretty clear that you care an aweful lot more about my opinion than you let on. Are you trying to convince me or yourself?

And to answer your question; no, apparently you can't have in the way you want.

1. "I'm not asking you to justify" but before it was "you have no real justification" Do you always like to talk out of both sides of your ass?
2.  "That is not a criteria for me" - Bullshit - I've seen your dissy build. Don't give me that "looks isn't a criteria for me" crap.
3. "continued attempts to rationalize your choice" - I'm guessing English is not your first language? I only explained to you once, after repeated requests from you, what my reasoning was. How does that equate to "continued attempts"?
4. "Are you trying to convince me or yourself?" What exactly did I try to convice you or anybody else of? Let me remind you what started this stupid little arguement...

Quoted:
Why are you so adamant about the front sight base? The larger diameter of the CMMG barrel under the FSB allows them to use the "F" marked FSB for better compatibility with BUIS on a flattop.

Where you made one incorrect statement (that somehow you need a .750 gas block in order to have "F" FSB) and three false assumptions (that everybody wants to use a flat top, that everybody would be using a BUIS and that you need to use a "F" marked FSB if the barrel was getting mounted on a flat top). All I did was point out where your assumptions were wrong.
5. Let me remind you. I did not start this thread nor did I ask any questions or advice from you or anybody else in this thread.
6. How much money would you be willing to bet that I will find a 6520 barrel, in new or like new condition, for much less then SAW's price? I'm in no hurry and besides, I'd rather search the EE then waste time in stupid discussions like this.

In closing, I could give a rats ass what you think and value your opinion even less then that. If you care to put your money where you mouth is, IM me otherwise I'm done. Later Taco boy
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#27]
That upper that ranchhand is offering is exactly what I'd like to build eventually, though I don't have the cash at the moment.  

That is the reasoning for the real LW profile.  I realize that 1/7 might not be period, but I'm not so concerned as to find a 1/12.  Besides, when building an old period style weapon, it's done for asthetic value, so why not have superior ballistics from the 1/7 when the only give away will be a tiny barrel stamp.  

Didn't mean to start a war guys.  I appreciate all the input so far; Mongo, I'll probably do what you suggested.  

ETA-really though, I don't actually need to justify to someone online, or anywhere else, why I want a specific barrel type.  I don't ask other people to justify a million things I see on this site that I find rediculous.  But that's why I don't do it; what I find normal someone else might find stupid, and the converse is true as well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Gimme_A_Carbine,

I have the same problem.  I wanted a true lightweight profile, chrome lined barrel in a 1:7 twist.  I still cannot find one at a reasonable price: $200 or less.  Colt is over-priced for my budget.   I settled for a Bushmaster 1:9 twist lightweight, chrome lined profile, and it won't group Sierra 77 grain bullets, but will group Sierra 69 grain bullets, sort of.  I prefer better ballistics than that.  I have found that a slightly faster twist rate, than what is calculated to stabilize a bullet, will delivery tighter groups: Tubb thinks so too.  I do not know why 1:9 seems to the standard for civilian AR barrels; while 1:8 seems to be the standard for stainless AR barrels, though 1:7 stainless can be found (ex: WOA, Douglas, Krieger).  From what I've seen, finding a reasonably priced barrel like I want looks bleak.  I guess that I'll live with the 1:9 twist for my non-match plinkers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Gimme_A_Carbine,

I have the same problem.  I wanted a true lightweight profile, chrome lined barrel in a 1:7 twist.  I still cannot find one at a reasonable price: $200 or less.  Colt is over-priced for my budget.   I settled for a Bushmaster 1:9 twist lightweight, chrome lined profile, and it won't group Sierra 77 grain bullets, but will group Sierra 69 grain bullets, sort of.  I prefer better ballistics than that.  I have found that a slightly faster twist rate, than what is calculated to stabilize a bullet, will delivery tighter groups: Tubb thinks so too.  I do not know why 1:9 seems to the standard for civilian AR barrels; while 1:8 seems to be the standard for stainless AR barrels, though 1:7 stainless can be found (ex: WOA, Douglas, Krieger).  From what I've seen, finding a reasonably priced barrel like I want looks bleak.  I guess that I'll live with the 1:9 twist for my non-match plinkers.

I cannot for the life of me fathom why companies produce the 1/9.  I realize that many shooters do not care what the twist rate is, but since the vast majority of shooters who do care, have no interest what so ever in that twist rate, why not please them since the rest won't care if it's 1/12, 1/9, 1/8, 1/7 or any other twist for that matter?  Is it more expensive to produce the 1/7, 1/8 and everything in between?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Bravo Company, Bushmaster, J&TDistributing
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Bravo Company, Bushmaster, J&TDistributing

What about them?

Bravo Co offers probably the best .mil-type barrels on the market for the money, but Bravo Co does not offer the barrel that others and myself are looking for.

BM does not offer 1/7 standard and must be special ordered, and I've read previously that they do not offer the LW barrels in 1/7.

J&T to my knowledge does not offer this barrel with chrome lining.  If things have changed I would be most intrigued; I will have to investigate this.

ETA-J&T offers the barrel with chrome lining...but only in 1/9.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:34:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I cannot for the life of me fathom why companies produce the 1/9.

Is it more expensive to produce the 1/7, 1/8 and everything in between?

I don't understand it either.  As far as I know, the military uses 1:7.

It is not more expensive to produce other twist rates.  Most, if not all, barrels are made on CNC equipment.  I do not see a cost increase.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top