Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2006 8:59:49 PM EDT
Hello all, just wanting feedback on the "best" A1 stock out there (thats readily available).  I did a search and found that some feel that the cavarms are "cheap" feeling... I dont want that.

How are the fulton armory A1 stocks?  Did a search (on here and google) and found nothing.  I've noticed that it is more expensive than a cavarms unit, However, if its the best out there and worth the additional $40 over a cavarms unit, then I will pay the premium.  Is the fulton armory stock similar to an A2 stock in quality?

Also, are there other options out there?  Im looking for a quality A1 stock that isnt going to leave me thinking airsoft.  I dont want to pay hundreds of dollars, but I can pay a premium for quality.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The best A1 length stock is the Colt "CS" stock. Your best bet to find one will be on the EE.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I have heard about the CS stock.  I did a search through previous A1 threads and that was brought up.  Seems that it is quite rare, and fairly expensive though.  If I were going to shell out $200 for a stock, it would be a heck of a lot nicer than a used A1 have
Thanks all.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know what is meant by "cheap feeling" in reference to the Cav Arms unit, but I have one on my AR and it is great.  I didn't like the butt plate it came with (many have said that it feels cheap) so I replaced it with an A-2 butt plate and have no complaints. You should check out the Cav Arms unit before you look at paying more.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple of the cav arms lowers, and I would not hesitate to go with another one of their products.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Cav, if only for the pretty colors!

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The best A1 length stock is the Colt "CS" stock. Your best bet to find one will be on the EE.

Seen one for sale on another site a day or two ago ( can't remember which one I'll have to check my history ) if I recall correctly the guy wanted $95 plus shipping and it was complete w/tube and buffer/spring

Is $95 a fair price ?  It did have the cs logo on it
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seen one for sale on another site a day or two ago ( can't remember which one I'll have to check my history ) if I recall correctly the guy wanted $95 plus shipping and it was complete w/tube and buffer/spring

Already snatched that one up.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personally for $95 I'd buy a used Vltor A1. I am really into my Vltor right now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:37:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you all for your posts.  I have been thinking about it and decided that I will probably go with the cavarms unit.  Worst case scenario is that I will replace the buttplate.

Who seems to have the best price on these?  Been looking through the EE with no luck.  I have seen Ameetec has what I believe are cavarms, and they are $55 for the entire unit.  Seems like a fair price to me.  Anyone know for sure if these are cavarms (doesnt list them as such)?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Tapco (believe it or not) sells the CavArms C1 stock for $7.99, but only in black.  Any more than that, and they are overpriced.  The buttplate/door assembly is ill-fitting crap.  The hardware that is included looks like it came from True-Value.  

Tapco
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome price... where would I be able to get all of the other parts needed to mount this on my lower?  

Also, is there a reason that tapco has them so cheap... are they 2nds or in terrible condition?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a suggestion, you could buy a USGI M16A1 butt stock. Gun Parts Corp and SARCO sell them. I got one from www.mooremilitaria.com. These are the early type without the trap door. They are listed as VG condition, mine would rate as excellent, cost $15. I got my buffer tube, spring and buffer(USGI) from Model 1, cost $25. HTH
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#13]
bought a couple of the CrapcoTapco A-1's.  DSG Arms has CavArms A-1 (or C1) also.

They are fine but different.

Tapco's are, I believe, seconds or blemished-mine have some minor scratch marks but I was ok with that.

They are not foam filled but apparently that is normal.

Buttplates are apparently made by Mattell or Hasbro.  You can use an A2 buttplate.  Door latch is the big problem on Tapco's but I dont use it so once you get it securely latched it shouldn't be a problem- if you don't intend to open and close it often.  I don't.

Mine came with hex screw for the upper screw location.

Bill D
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know how CavArms can bring themselves to include that abortion of a toy Buttplate with their A1 stocks!

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Already snatched that one up.  

Good catch
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#16]
At least we know its in good hands
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:08:44 AM EDT
[#17]
I Purchased my Colt A1s @ CDNN. They came complete w/ all hardware(tube, spring, buffer, etc.) in the wrap, like new. I paid +/- $40. This was several months ago..... -Justin
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:41:00 AM EDT
[#18]
CDNN is out of the A1 butt stocks. They were nice, late model A1 w/butt trap. I have one on my RRA Middy. You can still find them if you look around the gun parts sites. HTH
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Well good news, I snatched up a CS stock for $75 shipped...  I dont think you can do much better than that.  Hopefully it will get here soon...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Well good news, I snatched up a CS stock for $75 shipped...  I dont think you can do much better than that.  Hopefully it will get here soon...

Good catch!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:08:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Well the Buttplate I got from you guys (with my A1 stock) was so soft a material that it was IMPOSSABLE to secure the buttstock properly.

Even when the screws were tightened down all the way (just before they would actually push through the rubber pad) there was still not nearly enough force applied to hold the buttstock securely.

I have to say it's one of the worst components I have ever seen (although the Buttstock itself is ok)!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#23]
SinistralRifleman

The no complaints are probably due to most of the Cav-15MKII's buttplates not being disassembled, handled and examined.  I am not 100% sure if my buttplates are actual CavArms buttplates or not- I got mine from Tapco.

The plastic is soft.  The two things I really dislike are that the hinge is thin plastic, like the lid on a plastic ammo storage box, instead of a real pinned hinge.  The second is the latch, a soft springy curved piece of plastic instead of a sliding, spring-loaded pin.  I have two and they dont latch when you close the door, you have to push the latch/hook up into the recess to latch it.

The buttplates shipped from them also utilize hex type screws instead of slotted which seems less than ideal, but again I don't care because I am not going to disassemble the rifle in the field.

I don't use the trapdoor so I don't REALLY care about it.  I have not had one fail because I don't open and close the door.  The failure is in failing to latch, like an A2 trapdoor, when you close the door.  A minor though irritating thing.  

I do like the radius on the rear edges of the buttplate instead of a sharp edge.

ETA: FWIW, I love the stock. it works.  The buttplate could be some cheap, Chinese airsoft knockoff they bought to complete the stocks.  Even the picture on their website shows the door slightly unlatched!  WTH, I think these were like $7.95 each with the buttplate and screws.  Worth every penny of $7.95.

I repeat, I do not know if mine are genuine CavArms C1's or not.

Thanks for your input,

BillD
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:07:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#27]
i've always liked the Cav buttplate, because i actually use the trapdoor compartment, and like the fact that you can open it by hand, without needing something to depress the latch like on the A2 buttplate (at least the ones i've had...they were not able to be opened with a fingertip).  having to push up on the latch to secure it does not seem like a big deal to me.  and i've never had mine pop open accidentally, even though i really stuff it full (GI buttstock cleaning kit, 1 oz CLP, boresnake, 3-4 earplug foamies, batteries for optics or flashlight, broken shell extractor, front sight tool, etc...).
whether or not you replace the buttplate, the stock body itself is far superior to the surplus A1's i've had (and the storage area is larger).
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:32:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Tag.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:47:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I have the same experience with the buttplate on my CAV-15 Mk2.  At first it seems shoddy because of the soft, flexible plastic and because the door doesn't "snap" shut when you close it.  Yet, after I got the habit of pressing the latch to make it engage, it has worked OK for me.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
$ 8 cavarms stock www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=STK090114&back=yes&dept=197&last=

Unless specifically advertised as a Cavalry Arms product by an authorized dealer listed on our site, the parts should not be considered Cavalry Arms parts.

That is a Tapco stock, and while it may have very similar qualities as a Cavalry Arms C1, it should not be viewed as if it is.

Well now, isn't this SPECIAL.  This just plain pisses me off !!!!  

What is wrong ??? Are you upset because YOUR PROFIT MARGIN is now busted ???

Well, I was upset too after I purchased several C1 stocks from an authorized dealer for the full retail price.

Later, I found that TAPCO offered a "similar" item.  I ordered one from TAPCO for my inspection.  I be damn, that TAPCO item is not just similar... TAPCO is the same damn thing !!!!!

So, I paid full retail price $40.50 for something that I can get from TAPCO for $7.99 !!!!!

Yes, I have an axe to grind.  This happened approx six months ago.  And, I am still upset.

Needless to say, I have purchased a lifetime supply from TAPCO for the great price of $7.99.

Don't try to argue the point that the TAPCO stock is not the same thing.  You will loss, and YOU KNOW IT !!!!!

I am a very anal person, which means I am damn good at spotting same details.  I closely examined the TAPCO stock against the authorized Cavalry stock.  I examine both with an 8X loupe.  I tested both via cutting with an exacto knife to test material properties.  I examined both for mold imperfection similar to fingerprint comparisons.  I used a dial caliper to compare both.  I compared surface texture of both.  THE TAPCO STOCK IS THE SAME DAMN THING AS THE CAVALRY STOCK.  Not "similar", but the same damn thing !!!!  Sorry, I did observe one difference : $40.50 - $7.99 = $32.51 difference.

I know you [SinistralRifleman] are a sponsor of this board.  But, that does not give you the right to attempt to fool us.

I am emotional about this issue.  If you can post a persuasive response as to why I am wrong, I will try to be civil to discuss this issue. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#33]
G35

Why is it the manufacturer's job to point out the "best place" to purchase their items?  As a retailer, dealer cost is dealer cost.  When Surefire sold via Internet distributors, the price was (mostly) the same for all retailers.  Some retailers then sold these lights for only a few dollars over cost, while other sold them for near retail.

That is called the free market.  

It would be as if I sold my Practical Tactical Frankensling to a dealer at the dealer pricing.  I'll still sell mine for $25.00.  The other dealer might decide to sell it for $20.  Either way, I got my profit margin from that dealer.  

Is it my responsibility to point out that you can buy it less expensively from this other dealer?

Given that Tapco is in the business of selling stuff very inexpensively, it is highly likely they purchased all this unassembled from whatever company made it for them (perhaps even Cav), and thus any assembly issues are theirs, and not the OEM manufacturers.  That's the deal with OEM parts...the manufacturer's responsibility ends when their customer takes delivery.

And no, I am not going to tell you the least expensive place to buy Frankenslings.  Go figure it out on your own.

Free Market, baby.  Free Market.

TimW
Phoenix
Practical Tactical, LLC
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#34]
SinistralRifleman,

Thanks for the gentlemanly reply.

For other readers viewing this thread, (as SinistralRifleman stated) I did NOT purchase the C1 stock directly from Cavalry.  It was purchased it from an authorized dealer which did advertised the item as a genuine Cavalry C1 stock.  So, the item I purchased was a genuine Cavalry C1 stock (but not purchased directly from Cavalry.

For the remainder of the issue, I will leave it to the viewer/reader to interpret.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Ok, I'm going to ask a dumb question, do A1 stocks fit on A2 buffer tubes?  For example, if I have an A2 buffer tube (Buffer and spring included) will I need anything else to use the Tapco stock?  Or will I need an A1 tube (does that exist?).  What about the stock spacer? Thanks!

Brian
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#36]
TimW,

I am upset because he implied that the TAPCO item is ONLY similiar -- meaning not the same item.  They are the SAME (as I discoveried), not SIMILIAR (as he said).

Edited to add - Plus, most poeple do get upset when they discover that they had been "taken".  We are not discussing the "cheaper" price.  We are discussing being taken advantage of.  There is hell of a diffenece between $40.50 and $7.99.  This is the definition of being riped off.  Don't worry, it will happen to you someday and then you will know how it feels.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
TimW,

I am upset because he implied that the TAPCO item is ONLY similiar -- meaning not the same item.  They are the SAME (as I discoveried), not SIMILIAR (as he said).

Again, I get back to the issue of control.

If Cav makes the stocks for Tapco (and it seems as if perhaps they do), once that bundle of parts arrives, esp. since it doesn't have the Cav name on it (remember, it's a "Tapco" stock...that's what OEM means), Tapco is free to do whatever they want with them.  Use different screw, bolts, nuts, glue, whatever.

If it says "CAV" on them, then Cav Arms has a say in how they are marketed, assembled, presented, etc.

IMO, that's what he was discussing when he mentioned "similar".  I'll leave it to Sinistral to refute or confirm.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

IMO, that's what he was discussing when he mentioned "similar".  I'll leave it to Sinistral to refute or confirm.

So, in other words you are speculating.  You have never ordered a genuine Cavalry C1 stock AND a TAPCO stock.  I have !!!!  I purchased three genuine Cavalry C1 stocks before learning of the TAPCO great price.  I have seen (not speculating like you) how the two are packaged, what accesories are included with each.  THEY INCLUDE THE SAME PACKAGING AND THE SAME (NOT SIMILIAR) ACCESSORIES !!!!!

Plus, most poeple do get upset when they discover that they had been "taken". We are not discussing the "cheaper" price. We are discussing being taken advantage of. There is hell of a diffenece between $40.50 and $7.99. This is the definition of being riped off. Don't worry, it will happen to you someday and then you will know how it feels.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
So, in other words you are speculating.  You have never ordered a genuine Cavalry C1 stock AND a TAPCO stock.  I have !!!!  I purchased three genuine Cavalry C1 stocks before learning of the TAPCO great price.  I have seen (not speculating like you) how the two are packaged, what accesories are included with each.  THEY INCLUDE THE SAME PACKAGING AND THE SAME (NOT SIMILIAR) ACCESSORIES !!!!!

Plus, most poeple do get upset when they discover that they had been "taken". We are not discussing the "cheaper" price. We are discussing being taken advantage of. There is hell of a diffenece between $40.50 and $7.99. This is the definition of being riped off. Don't worry, it will happen to you someday and then you will know how it feels.

Yes, I have already admitted speculating about how Cav and Tapco's deal is put together. I am just explaining how OEM stuff works.

WTF are you on about being "taken".  The Retailer was the one who charged the $40.00, not Cav.  Tapco decides to sell the same stock for much less?

So what?

What would make you happy?  Have Cav sent you $35 for a pizza?  How about some Perrier so you can wash out your Mangina because you're pussy-hurt you paid more for the same item.

"if you don't understand how the free market works and the term caveat emptor, I'd suggest no purchasing anything any more.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I will continue to post replies to this thread to make sure it stay "tacked" to the top of the thread list for months or until this thread gets locked.

I will do my damnest to make sure the viewers don't get taken "advantage of" and ripe off like me.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Have you ever considered that Tapco may be selling seconds, or quality control rejects?  I know DSG arms sells both Cav Arms first quality stocks, and seconds (at a considerable discount), and having examined each the first and seconds are NOT the same.  For everyone bitching about fit/finish, if you got it from Tapco STFU

I have bought several Cav Arms MkII lowers, and a few C1 stocks and have been happy with them all.  I even like the buttplates (particularly on AR10 and 50 Beowulf) as long as you don't over torque. If you ever build a superlight weigh the A2 buttplate, and the C1, and see if it isn't worth the minimal care required to not over torque
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#43]
G35, if you want to be mad at someone be mad at yourself. No one forced you to buy anything and no one misrepresented the products you bought. If you found a $40 stock for $8 then be happy and buy them for less. Otherwise shut your pie hole and quit trying to impugn Cavalry Arm's reputation with your imaginary misdeeds.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Back To The Top

For any viewer wishing to purchase a C1 (aka, A1) stock, be assured that the Tapco C1 stocks (for $7.99) are NOT defects, second rate, blemished, etc.

I purchased THREE genuine C1 stocks from an authorized Cavalry dealer which did advertised the item as a genuine Cavalry C1 stock.   Later, I purchased many more from Tapco.  NOT a single stock from Tapco was blemished or defective.  I examined each Tapco stock VERY carefully and "mock" assembled each Tapco stock to verify fit.  All of the Tapco stocks that I purchased fit great !!!  No surprise because the Tapco stock is the indentical item as the $40 item.  And, actually, several of the Tapco stocks were in better shape (such as handling marks) than any of the three genuine Cavalry C1 stocks that I purchased.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:48:35 AM EDT
[#45]
The stocks I bought from Tapco are identical to my buddy's Cav Arms stock that he paid fifty or sixty dollars for. They were obviously manufactured by Cav Arms, they even have the same rubber buttplate with "CA" molded into it. None of the ones I bought had any defects.

I don't know how they can sell them for less than a Frisbee, but they are what they are.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:42:12 AM EDT
[#46]
G35 -

Are any of your "genuine" CavArms stocks that you are so distraught about owning MOLDED in a color other than black (not painted)?

If so, IM me and I'll be more than happy to take one or two of those "ripoff" stocks off your hands.  I don't care if it's OD, Tan, Coyote, or whatever, as long as it was molded in that color at the CavArms factory.

I am also going to order a Tapco stock right now and see for myself how they compare to my two CavArms C1 stocks that I am SO VERY HAPPY with even at  the $50 price I paid (complete with all hardware, buffer, tube, and spring).
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Back To The Top for the weekend viewers.

Onslaught,

Thanks for the offer, but all of mine are the black color.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:46:26 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been eye-balling A1 stocks for awhile now and just recieved my Tapco stock today. I decided to spend the $8 and see if I really liked it prior to paying for a "name brand".

The only thing I found "wrong" was the buttplate fit. There was an excess of stock material that stuck above to top of the buttplate by about a 1/16". I swapped it out with my A2 plate, and the excess is now on either side towards the bottom. I suppose I could sand the stock down a little (I like the A1 plate better), but I bought it to "test drive" it.

I paid $8....I'm not complaining. If I want a better fit, I'll get a CAV.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Back To The Top

For any viewer wishing to purchase a C1 (aka, A1) stock, be assured that the Tapco C1 stocks (for $7.99) are NOT defects, second rate, blemished, etc.

I purchased THREE genuine C1 stocks from an authorized Cavalry dealer which did advertised the item as a genuine Cavalry C1 stock.   Later, I purchased many more from Tapco.  NOT a single stock from Tapco was blemished or defective.  I examined each Tapco stock VERY carefully and "mock" assembled each Tapco stock to verify fit.  All of the Tapco stocks that I purchased fit great !!!  No surprise because the Tapco stock is the indentical item as the $40 item.  And, actually, several of the Tapco stocks were in better shape (such as handling marks) than any of the three genuine Cavalry C1 stocks that I purchased.

So let me get this straight, you say the Cav Arms stock is a rip off, and that Tapco is the same thing, and yet you bought THREE of the Cav Arms stocks?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top