Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2006 9:06:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/20/2006 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice Vic, I do like the looks of a long rail handguard with a tiny bit (or no) barrel sticking out.  I had two KX3 thingies, I don't have any short enough barrels to realize its true usefulness, and the dang thing added so much weight to my MRP, I sold them both to a friend who put one of them on a cut down RPD without modification (1/2x28 threaded barrel), it does work pretty well in full auto, out of a 13" barrel

I hope they make a lighter version of it, it really doesnt' have to be that heavy.

for using them 'pods

Here's mine, not a 6.8mm though
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 3:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IT'S HARD TO IMAGINE A MORE EFFECTIVE, VERSATILE SINGLE UPPER THAN A 12" 6.8 SPC.

WES

Ain't that the truth. It's got frag range that's unbelievable with a 12.5" barrel, they're damn accurate, and it is a sweet platform to mount a can on.

Vic, that rifle's a work of art! If the KX3 doesn't work out, Ron Smith has a 6.8 Vortex that will cut flash down to nothing. The blast from a 12" 6.8 isn't as bad as you would think w/o the KX3.
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Vic, nice blaster. Is the Larue rail 12.0?
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Vic

Sweet build.  Did you get any bloom at night with the KX3?

Now just go the next step and get one of these muzzle devices and eliminate all the flash

globaltactical.com/_img.upload/IMP%206.8%20WITH%20SILENCER.jpg
globaltactical.com/_img.upload/IMP%206.8%20WITH%20CAN%20OFF.jpg

This rifle was built using my 12.5"  6.8 SPC barrel.

I haven't tried it with my PVS14 yet but I have shot it at night and flash is nil.

Denny

Is that a .308 Surefire can?  What barrel length is that on?
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 3:19:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 3:29:51 AM EDT
[#11]
SBR 6.8 = Sense

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a DBAL-A2? They are muy muy nice but muy muy bad for the pocket!

SImon
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to hijack the thread, but given who's reading it, the question may be well placed, here.  Is there a sound suppressor which will mount to or over a Vortex flash hider, rather than requiring it be removed/replaced?
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#14]
SEI has their own line oif cans that go onto a Vortex. But it has to be the current gen with the flats.

Simon
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
SEI has their own line oif cans that go onto a Vortex. But it has to be the current gen with the flats.

Simon

"USG/FMS Only" I expect this means no civillian sales.
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#16]
This I believe was a legacy of the old CA rulings regarding slaes of supressors that was squashed. You should call and ask.

Simon
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This I believe was a legacy of the old CA rulings regarding slaes of supressors that was squashed. You should call and ask.

Simon

"The Smith Enterprise, Incorporated-marked line of suppressors are only available to the US Government, Law Enforcement entities and through Foreign Military sales (FMS) programs. SEI-marked suppressors are not available on the civilian Class III market."

I've e-mail just the same.  There's also a mention of a Mr. Fisher, whom I've also e-mailed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Simon

"The Smith Enterprise, Incorporated-marked line of suppressors are only available to the US Government, Law Enforcement entities and through Foreign Military sales (FMS) programs. SEI-marked suppressors are not available on the civilian Class III market."

I've e-mail just the same.  There's also a mention of a Mr. Fisher, whom I've also e-mailed.

SEI has no problem with civilian sales. FWIW, they are located in Tempe Arizona. The issue is their desire not to become involved in civilian transfers. If you want an SEI suppressor, they have no issue with their dealers selling suppressors to civilians.
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
SEI has no problem with civilian sales. FWIW, they are located in Tempe Arizona. The issue is their desire not to become involved in civilian transfers. If you want an SEI suppressor, they have no issue with their dealers selling suppressors to civilians.

I'm in the "boy, wouldn't a sound suppress be nice" stage.  I have no idea if I could even meet the paperwork requirementnts, due to CLEO hand cramping.  I'm open to but unknowledgable regarding the whole LLC (or whatever) alternate process, however.

Before any of that effort is warranted, though, I first need to determine if there're options for a sound suppressor capable of mounting onto/over a Vortex.  Ideally, this would be a barrel-clamped mount, so I could use the suppressor on long arms regardless of the presence of a Vortex.  It doesn't have to be an SEI model.

This thread has folks posting to it who own/use suppressors I could hope to gain knowledge from.  I apologize for tangenting in advance and will gladly take the conversation to private e-mail to obtain solid info.
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice grail indeed.

You chose wisely.
Link Posted: 5/23/2006 6:25:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in the "boy, wouldn't a sound suppress be nice" stage.  I have no idea if I could even meet the paperwork requirementnts, due to CLEO hand cramping.  I'm open to but unknowledgable regarding the whole LLC (or whatever) alternate process, however.

Before any of that effort is warranted, though, I first need to determine if there're options for a sound suppressor capable of mounting onto/over a Vortex.  Ideally, this would be a barrel-clamped mount, so I could use the suppressor on long arms regardless of the presence of a Vortex.  It doesn't have to be an SEI model.

This thread has folks posting to it who own/use suppressors I could hope to gain knowledge from.  I apologize for tangenting in advance and will gladly take the conversation to private e-mail to obtain solid info.

Watcher, IM me your phone number and a good time to call. I've been on a R&D kick lately, and have some neat stuff for you. Still in preproduction phases, and you might have some input on a few things.
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Victor, I have some bad news for you, very soon you will be permenately banned from the internet for having Way Too Many Cool Toys! It's really not fair for the rest of us and we're all starting to get a bit bitter.

Nice stuff man.

By the way, I love my 14, and Yes, I still owe you a write up and some pics.

Link Posted: 5/27/2006 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Victor, sweet upper. What is the total barrel length with the Noveske KX3 together?
Link Posted: 5/27/2006 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Amen to that Wes...Denny is right on as well.  I've looked for a LONG time (and spent too much $$ over the years) for an all around package such as this. My beginning personal requirments were,

a. Range, CQB to 400m+ with a round heavy enough not to take a "wind" hit or miminize this greatly.

First off, VERY nice rifle!

Second, I have to ask, does this rifle really have acceptable terminal ballistics out to 400+ meters or are we talking more of just excellent accuracy at those ranges (also very impressive in it's own right)?  

Just sounds like quite a distance for a 12.5" barrel considering the best .223/5.56 loads are said to be limited to around 100-150m out of a 14.5", (when talking acceptable terminal ballistics in the form of expansion/fragmentation/penetration).
Link Posted: 5/27/2006 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen to that Wes...Denny is right on as well.  I've looked for a LONG time (and spent too much $$ over the years) for an all around package such as this. My beginning personal requirments were,

a. Range, CQB to 400m+ with a round heavy enough not to take a "wind" hit or miminize this greatly.

First off, VERY nice rifle!

Second, I have to ask, does this rifle really have acceptable terminal ballistics out to 400+ meters or are we talking more of just excellent accuracy at those ranges (also very impressive in it's own right)?  

Just sounds like quite a distance for a 12.5" barrel considering the best .223/5.56 loads are said to be limited to around 100-150m out of a 14.5", (when talking acceptable terminal ballistics in the form of expansion/fragmentation/penetration).

It's a 6.8, so yes it is acceptable.
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 5:32:42 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I realize this is in 6.8. I guess my real question is: Has there been proof through ballistics testing that a rifle in 6.8 with a 12.5" (or other SBR lenghts) barrel truely has acceptable terminal ballistics at those ranges?

I keep seeing people make statements like this, but I can't seem to find any testing besides accuracy testing.  

Please help because I am considering such a build.

(Note: Please forgive me if this seems like a hi-jack.  I am not trying to do so, I am just considering a similar build and am looking for proof to the "holy grail" statement.)
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I realize this is in 6.8. I guess my real question is: Has there been proof through ballistics testing that a rifle in 6.8 with a 12.5" (or other SBR lenghts) barrel truely has acceptable terminal ballistics at those ranges?

I keep seeing people make statements like this, but I can't seem to find any testing besides accuracy testing.  

Please help because I am considering such a build.

(Note: Please forgive me if this seems like a hi-jack.  I am not trying to do so, I am just considering a similar build and am looking for proof to the "holy grail" statement.)

Out past 175M (at least) you can ruin someone's day with a 12.5". AFAIK, everyone that has done testing on the short 6.8's won't be giving it away unless you're a customer, or a gov entity.

Making multiple 60 lb gel blocks ain't cheap, y'know
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 8:32:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Even if someone on here did take the the time to test expansion/fragmentation/penetration at those ranges, it would have to be done with each round being tested for it mean anything. Its going to vary after all .....round to round, hand load to factory, etc. The chrono'd data is enough to make a believer out of me. Not that I wasn't already.
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 9:11:34 AM EDT
[#30]
All very true and I thank you guys for the input.

Maybe all thats needed is the fragmentation/expansion threshold velocity of a few of the better/more popular 6.8 bullet designs, and then some chronograph work will mean more to me.

If anyones got this info please post it or PM me with it.  Otherwise i'll try to contact a few bullet manufacturers for this info.

Thanks, oh and thanks for the original poster who provided more ideas to haunt me.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2006 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top