Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2007 5:07:22 PM EDT
Well, I've been a one AR guy for well over 15 years, and after buying a new upper and lower last year, I found myself with a Bushmaster Upper/lower. So the question was... what did I want to do with it.

Here is what I wanted.
- Freefloat raii
-16-18" barrel
-Magnafied optics

The Upper had a 16"HBAR that has 14K thru it. So I decided to continue to use it and check the accuracy once the build is complete. It had been very accurate prior to retiring it for my new AR.

All parts were purchased of the EE here and elsewhere.

Stage 1

Vortex Installed
Samson 12" rail Installed
KAC rail panels installed
Stage2

MIAD Pistol grip installed

Stage3
Awaiting Magpul CTR stock with Rubber butt pad
(Pics to Follow)

Stage 4 Decided to switch stage 4 and 5 and go for the Optic. I did my Home work and listened to some smarter guys then me and settled on a TA11D ACOG.

It showed up on the EE at just the right time with just the right reticle and just the right mount (LaRue) and to top it off... at a great price (Thanks elvisp)
So far, I could not be happier. The Eye-relief is excellent. I may be able to hit the range tomorrow to sight it in.

Stage 5 (BUIS)
I've am going to go with the Samson Front BUIS as funds become available. The Rear one I am still in debate. Most likely Troy or possible PRI. See what kind of smoking good deal is on the EE in the next few months.

Let the critique begin......
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 5:12:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Harv has more than one AR....

There it is boys. Hell just froze over.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!

Link Posted: 2/15/2007 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Harv,

I really like it.  Looking forward to the finished product.  

Just a word on optics, if you are considering the ACOG, take a hard look at the TA11.  Same features as the TA31 (I've owned several of both, bought my first TA11 back in 1998), but the TA11 is a little larger and 3.5x instead of 4x (I can't tell much of a difference between the magnification the two different models).

The advantages I've found with the TA11 is that the longer / more generous eye relief is a BIG advantage when running and gunning and shooting from different positions.  I am noticeably more faster with the TA11 than I am with the TA31.  Eye relief is much more critical on the TA31 / TA01 series which costs you time when trying to get on a target fast.  I have also owned the chevron and donut reticles.  I thought I would be more accurate with the chevron, but didn't notice much difference in accuracy between the two different reticles, but I did notice that I am (as are most shooters) faster with the donut reticle.  Just my personal experience.

Take care and stay safe

Semper Fi,
Jeff
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Stage 3 update
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Harv,

I really like it.  Looking forward to the finished product.  

Just a word on optics, if you are considering the ACOG, take a hard look at the TA11.  Same features as the TA31 (I've owned several of both, bought my first TA11 back in 1998), but the TA11 is a little larger and 3.5x instead of 4x (I can't tell much of a difference between the magnification the two different models).

The advantages I've found with the TA11 is that the longer / more generous eye relief is a BIG advantage when running and gunning and shooting from different positions.  I am noticeably more faster with the TA11 than I am with the TA31.  Eye relief is much more critical on the TA31 / TA01 series which costs you time when trying to get on a target fast.  I have also owned the chevron and donut reticles.  I thought I would be more accurate with the chevron, but didn't notice much difference in accuracy between the two different reticles, but I did notice that I am (as are most shooters) faster with the donut reticle.  Just my personal experience.

Take care and stay safe

Semper Fi,
Jeff

Jeff,

That is a most informative post.  Thanks for sharing.

Justin
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:30:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Why did you put rail panel covers on the top rail?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Lookin' good, Harv!  I can't help but feel a little responsible for you wanting a TA31F and a CTR...

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Your are responsible...ya Bastard....

As to the rails covers... call me a tard, but from my days of working for Uncle Sugar, any rail surface that is exposed, gets a cover. I may not abuse my AR's as much as what my Issued weapons use to be, but it's that whole ounce of prevention vs the pound of cure thing at work.

I've made my front BUIS selection, it's going to be the Samson Front flip sight. I'm still debating on the rear.
As to the Optic.. Once the cash becomes available, it's gonna be a TA-11 with a chevron or triangle in a Larue QD mount. and then I'm done.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why did you put rail panel covers on the top rail?

Also protects you from burning yourself.  I have seen a couple guys at matches and classes burn a leg (wearing shorts), hand, arm, etc. from an uncovered top rail.  And a majority of those shooters were using vertical foregrips.

From my experience burns usually occur when shooting from odd positions, during transition drills, letting the rifle hang while you are getting another piece of gear or kneeling down to load mags, etc.

Semper Fi,
Jeff
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:12:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Your are responsible...ya Bastard....

As to the rails covers... call me a tard, but from my days of working for Uncle Sugar, any rail surface that is exposed, gets a cover. I may not abuse my AR's as much as what my Issued weapons use to be, but it's that whole ounce of prevention vs the pound of cure thing at work.

I've made my front BUIS selection, it's going to be the Samson Front flip sight. I'm still debating on the rear.
As to the Optic.. Once the cash becomes available, it's gonna be a TA-11 with a chevron or triangle in a Larue QD mount. and then I'm done.

Well, you had better finish that build up quickly so that you can get started on a clone of my SBR that is almost done (damn slow paperwork!).  
Link Posted: 3/9/2007 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Stage 4 update
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top