Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2006 8:27:48 PM EDT
I am t-shooting a problem with my AR (762x39) Upper and am curious about which parts if any are interchangeable between the 7.62 upper and a .223 upper?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/11/2006 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am t-shooting a problem with my AR (762x39) Upper and am curious about which parts if any are interchangeable between the 7.62 upper and a .223 upper?
Thanks

Barrel and bolt no-evrything else will x-change.

BTW whats the problem?
Link Posted: 5/11/2006 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#2]
It won't fire any ammo that has a slightly recessed primer. I've noticed that the more expensive brass cased ammo works fine but nearly all of the Wolf ammo has recessed primers.  The firing pin puts a good dent in the Wolf ammo but apparently not quite enough to ignite the primer.  I have swapped firing pins with one of my other AR's but it didn't seem to make a difference.  I don't know if you can get firing pins that are longer but I think this would fix the problem.
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I read in an earlier post (about a year ago)that you need to remove some metal, either off the firing pin shoulder,or the rear of the bolt, that restricts how far the firing pin protrudes.  Not much, on the order of .010".  Do a search and you should find all the info on how to correct this.  Not much info, but at least a lead.
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Rockrat - My first inkling was that the firing pin wasn't protruding enough through the bolt. I was hoping that an aftermarket longer firing pin was available but haven't found one yet.  I'm trying a stiffer hammer spring this week which will eliminate one possibiity.  If that doesn't work I will focus on a modification that will get more pin to the primer. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 5/16/2006 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
knapweed, do a followup post as to how the extra power spring worked. I have a 762x39 upper that I am having the same problem with. I also thought about a extra power hammer spring but it may take some metal removal on the shoulder of the firing pin to get it to strike low primers. I had to do this with a Cetme to fix the same problem.
Link Posted: 5/16/2006 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Wolfdad - My heavy spring should be at my doorstep tomorrow.  I will figure out how to install it and publish the results after a trial run.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I installed the "heavy spring" made by Wolff today and ripped off about 10rounds of Wolf ammo.  Had one no-fire.  Will have more time to wring it out and report in the next couple days.
Link Posted: 5/18/2006 7:49:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the exact problem. I removed the firing pin and removed a very small amount of the rear of the tail of  the bolt and it took care of all my problems. I did also bend the legs of my hammer spring to add a little heavier hit. The spring mod itself didn't eliminate the problem...you need to get more firing pin protrusion.
Link Posted: 5/18/2006 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Dude - I suspect I will have to do the same to mine because I really shouldn't have had the one no-fire.
I really want to get this buggar reliable to the point I don't even have to think about it. Could you give me a little more detail on where and how you removed some material from the bolt to enable more firing pin protrusion?  

Thanks,
Knap
Link Posted: 5/18/2006 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#10]
All I did wat take the bolt out of the carrier, use a caliper to measure it's overall length. Then I used a plain jayne file and filed just a hair of of the end of the "Tail" "rear" section on the bolt itself. I am sorry I don't know how much I removed, but it had to only have been a few thousands of an inch...maybe .004" - .008" it was only a few strokes with the file. If I still had the gun, I would take a measurement for you.

Remove material right here, on the end.

(I found this pic on the sight...thanks to the original owner)

I would just do a little bit then try it. I actually ended up pulling bullets on a handful of 7.62X39 with my hammer style bullet puller and tried them that way. You just don't want to remove too much....take it slow.

Link Posted: 5/18/2006 8:52:46 PM EDT
[#11]
SUCCESS with the No-Fire problem:  I shortened the overall length of the bolt from 2.799" to 2.7925 in small increments until the ignition was consistent with Wolf and other ammo.  I think the heavier hammer spring helped but was not the total answer.  The primer on the left is the post -fix pic.  Thanks to all of you for your help.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/knapweed1/AR%20PICS/primers.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/knapweed1/AR%20PICS/bolt.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/knapweed1/AR%20PICS/AR-223.jpg
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 4:58:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Glad you got it ironed out!

Happy shooting
Link Posted: 5/19/2006 7:55:37 PM EDT
[#13]
What barrel is that?
Link Posted: 5/20/2006 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a stainless 16" fluted bull barrel from DPMS.  I had the back end of the barrel tapered down to lighten the overall rifle and improve balance.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2006 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#15]
HK-Dude, I thank you and knapweed for the info, I will be shortening the bolt on my 762x39 to correct the same problem
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 10:17:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Always glad to help fellow gun nuts
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#17]
You're welcome Wofsdad and best of luck with your modification.
Knap
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, this is the first time I see a stainless AR-15  barrel in 7.62X39 caliber. Was it a custom order? What is bore size? All the manufacturers are offering only chrome-moly barrels in this caliber. I don't see that barrel in DPMS website too.    
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#19]
This barrel is a .223 DPMS. It is customized however as I had the rear half of the barrel turned down to a smaller circumference to lighten it up and improve the balance.  I would love to get it in the 762x39 but like you said I don't believe it's available yet.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 1:40:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
All I did wat take the bolt out of the carrier, use a caliper to measure it's overall length. Then I used a plain jayne file and filed just a hair of of the end of the "Tail" "rear" section on the bolt itself. I am sorry I don't know how much I removed, but it had to only have been a few thousands of an inch...maybe .004" - .008" it was only a few strokes with the file. If I still had the gun, I would take a measurement for you.

Remove material right here, on the end.

(I found this pic on the sight...thanks to the original owner)

I would just do a little bit then try it. I actually ended up pulling bullets on a handful of 7.62X39 with my hammer style bullet puller and tried them that way. You just don't want to remove too much....take it slow.

www.hunt101.com/img/406714.jpg

HK DUDE- does your 7.62x39 AR shoot wolf ammo fine now with no FTF's?

Knapweed.  is yours also doing well with Wolf?  I plan on having either a seperate firing pin or bolt just to fire cheap ammo.  Let me know if you have any failures to fire lately.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#21]

HK DUDE- does your 7.62x39 AR shoot wolf ammo fine now with no FTF's?

Yes......100%

It had a couple FTF with some Wolf HPS early on, I then only shot FMJs. After a couple thousand rounds of the FMJs I tried some HPs again and it was broken in and everything worked. It was actually as reliable as my AK (at that point).........Yes, I said it

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Absolutely great.  No ftf's whatsoever with any Wolf ammo.  It even cranks through some of the funky Czech
ammo I picked up at the last gun show.  It would be nice if there were some manufactured firing pins with modified shoulders that would allow for a deeper hit on the primers.  It would probably be the simplest cure for the FTF problem with Rusky ammo.  
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top