Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2006 1:14:51 PM EDT
What's the best size for the gas hole on a 7.5" barrel? 62gr wolf and M193 55 gr will be the likely fodder for it......

My (used) upper is on the way and has a history of short stroking with both pistol and carbine buffer systems and I was gonna check the hole before I assembled it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know but I went with next drill bit size bigger & a Krink & it works great!
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I just calipered a 3/32 drill bit and that's 0.093, I seem to recall that being the "good" size......
Link Posted: 6/19/2006 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What's the best size for the gas hole on a 7.5" barrel? 62gr wolf and M193 55 gr will be the likely fodder for it......

My (used) upper is on the way and has a history of short stroking with both pistol and carbine buffer systems and I was gonna check the hole before I assembled it.

If you pick up a Novesky krink brake you may not need to modify the gas port. THe krink itself will increase back pressure.
Link Posted: 6/23/2006 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I have had my best luck with the gas port hole around .095-.105.
I have gone to using the shorter buffer tube, longer Colt style spring,
and in the bolt style buffer with a JP Ent. adj. gas block. I can adust it
for single shot use and all the way up.
Link Posted: 6/23/2006 3:32:07 AM EDT
[#5]

shorter buffer tube, longer Colt style spring,
and in the bolt style buffer

Thanks for the info, but I an unclear on your answer as to your setup......
shorter buffer tube being pistol length (like a bushy)?
longer Colt spring as in an extended slide 1911 spring?  
and I'm not sure on what you mean by bolt style buffer.............
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 1:02:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 3:56:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Randall, how far from the muzzle was the barrel in question's gas port?  mine's right around 3", and after my (uneducated) interpretation of the graph of muzzle pressure on your site, I thought bigger would be better.  I have a pigtail to soften the presure spike and will probably switch that to a fat boy tube with what I've heard about pigtails failing......
I have yet to fire this upper, I just bought the parts last week and will be trying it out this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/27/2006 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top