Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/31/2007 7:39:19 PM EDT
Someone basically told me  that the ATF can put me in jail with a felony for having an m16 bolt carrier in my rifle today.

Is that correct?

I know for sure you don't want the M16 disconnector/trigger/safety/hammers in your AR15, but I was under the impression that the carrier was OK. hinking.gif

At any rate, I milled back that bottom thing on the back to about 3/4" and reparkerized the carrier tonight just to play it safe.  No functional change, but I'm a coward
Link Posted: 8/31/2007 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
This has been mulled over ad-naseum. The thing is if ATF gets a big stiffy to make life tough for you, having something that is a machinegun specific  in your gun  will give  them an excuse to bring charges against you.  Me personally I would not have a M16 carrier in my semi auto only guns.  ATF has a nasty habit of saying one thing is not ok, then saying it is then changing their minds. Either way, you would end up in court settling this dispute just for having something you think could possibly be illegal.  If you have money and attourneys as  personal freinds, then tread boldly.   Otherwise be carefull.

On a technical note - there is no performance improvement in having one in a semi auto gun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 3:23:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Can someone post a side-by-side picture of an AR15 and an M16 carrier?

I understand what's been said about having the covered firing pin, but I don't remember what it looks like (it's been 14 years since I left the Army and I haven't seen a FA carrier since).
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 4:48:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Gun laws are funny things, i have an Chrome M16 carrier in my M4gery & i'm in the UK!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 5:15:59 AM EDT
[#4]
MACVSOG's extended post is technically absolutely on target, and a very good explanation of the reasons for the AR15/M16 carrier differences. But when you look at the law, and history, you find that nowhere has there ever been a requirement that the Colt designed cutaway under the firing pin was ever mandated. It was purely a politically correct move by Colt in the 1960s.

Beyond that, when was the last time any of you nondealer types ever saw, much less had a rifle inspected by, an ATF agent? I did see one once, while at a gun store. She had come to do an inspection of the dealer's records. That was about 15 years ago. So if you want an M16 carrier, I sure wouldn't advise you not to do so. On the other hand, if you're paranoid about such things, by all means use a carrier that leaves you feeling comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 5:26:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...You can put all M16 full auto parts in a lower receiver, and those parts along with the M16 carrier will allow you to put the M16 safety in the full auto position, and when you fire the weapon, the hammer rides along the underside of the carrier and will slam fire the round.  ...

That sounds to me like the BGC alone isn't enough. Even to get you on trumped up "constructive possenion", you would have to have an M16 fire control group AND the BCG.

But if they can get you on those charges just by pulling the disconnector out, a lot of people are in trouble. All AKs will sometimes slamfire if you remove the disconnect (or it doesn't catch the hammer). And won't a 1911 go auto if you pull the disconnector out?

Does anyone have a letter from the ATF on this point? I think I have seen one before that definitely said you can have FA parts in your gun as long as it won't fire more that one shot with one trigger pull. I would really like to add a copy of that letter to my file.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 6:00:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's the best letter I could find. Not a scan, unfortunately. I highlighted the critical sentence in red.

U.S. Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco
Firearms and Explosives
[stamp] FEB 10 2005

903050:RV
3311/2005-167
www.atf.gov

[stamp] Received FEB 14 2005
Legal Department

Mr. Carlton S. Chen
Colt Defense LLC
547 New Park Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06110

Dear Mr. Chen:

This is in reference to your most recent facsimile transmitted to the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), on January 13, 2005. In your faxed letter, you seek clarification regarding the use of M16 machinegun bolt carriers in AR-15 type weapons.

As you are aware, since your provision of copies of relevant material in your previous faxes, ATF has previously addressed the use of M16 machinegun fire-control components in AR-15 type rifles in the General Information section of the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (ATF P 5300.4). (Please refer to page 115, item #3, “Important Information Concerning AR-15 Type Rifles.”)

However, we would like to direct your attention to a particular paragraph of item #3, which states the following:

In order to avoid violations of the NFA, M16 hammers, triggers, disconnectors, selectors and bolt carriers must not be used in assembly of AR-15 type semiautomatic rifles, unless the M16 parts have been modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration. Any AR-15 type rifles which have been assembled with M16 internal components should have those parts removed and replaced with AR-15 Model SP1 type parts which are available commercially. The M16 components also may be modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration.

Accordingly, based on previous FTB recommendations not to install this bolt carrier and the conclusions presented in the passage cited above, our Branch cannot specifically authorize you to install an M16 bolt carrier into an AR15 rifle. Also, we cannot definitively tell you that installing an M16 bolt carrier in an AR 15 will make that firearm fire automatically.

-2-

Mr. Carlton S. Chen

We can only inform you that if this installation were to create a firearm that fires automatically, it would be a machinegun as defined; conversely, if it did not result in the production of a weapon that shoots automatically, it would be lawful to posses and make.

We thank you for your inquiry and trust the foregoing has been responsive.

Sincerely yours,

[signed]

Sterling Nixon
Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

That pretty clearly says an M16 BCG is ok so long as the weapon remains semi-auto, which it will if that's the only FA part installed.

Still, I would like a more explicit statement, specifically about issues of constructive possession, and may write to them to get it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

The other feature is that the M16 carrier has the firing pin covered.  So, if you grind back on the extra material on the underside of the M16 carrier, you will make the carrier incapable of triping a full auto sear.  But, there is another problem.  You can put all M16 full auto parts in a lower receiver, and those parts along with the M16 carrier will allow you to put the M16 safety in the full auto position, and when you fire the weapon, the hammer rides along the underside of the carrier and will slam fire the round.  It is easier to do if you use reloaded ammo with soft primers as military ammo has hard primers to prevent slam fire.  Firing full auto via the slam fire method is dangerous, as you could have a round fire out of battery, and this could result in a catastrophic failure.  However, if you have a carrier that has the firing pin exposed, then the hammer will ride along on the underside of the carrier and hang up on the firing pin, which will prevent it from slam firing your round.  That is why Colt and other aftermarket makers of AR15 carriers made the carriers with the firing pin exposed.  However, there are many aftermarket AR15 carriers that have the firing pin covered.  Colt used M16 carriers in the beginning with their SP1's, and then later on, they milled back the rear part of the M16 carriers so that they could not trip full auto sears but left the firing pins covered.  Much later they made the carriers with the firing pins exposed.  

Charles Tatum
Alamo Professional Arms        

Not exactly.  The exposed firing pin was somthing invented by Colt to prevent conversions/slam fires.  Sort of like large pins and sear blocks.  To work properly it needs to be used in conjunction with a hammer with a hook that catches on the exposed firing pin. The main thing that makes an M16 carrier is the ability to trip an auto sear. Many, many early rifles were sold with covered firing pins, so I can't see how the ATF could now say it is not legal.  AFAIK no early SP1 ever was shipped with an M16 carrier, ever.  My all original 1964 version has a covered firing pin but a small amount of the bottom is milled off to prevent it from ever working in/as an M16.  More recently there have been reports of new Colts being shipped with M16 carriers.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 6:21:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I have seen that letter to Colt before. Also note that as of the time that was written,  Colt was/is leaving a web of material in the auto sear area to stop installation of military or drop in sears. I guess really if you have a milling machine you can remove it and install either of the latter sears. Also Colt is using oversized pins on all their semi autos to prevent people from easily using M16 parts.  So yes if you intend to use an M16 carrier, get a letter. Also be warned that ATF can reverse letters on a whim and have done so. If you followed the Akin's debacle you know what I am talking about. Interpretations vary, but it is usually universally agreed that when dealing with ATF,  CYA is not a bad policy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies.

I sincerely doubt that the ATF could use removing the disconnector as an excuse for intent to build a machinegun.

If that were the case, every Ruger mini-14/mini-30, m1 garand, m1a, SKS, AK etc.. owner could be charged.

Like I said I milled back that bottom metal, so I'm not going to worry about it anymore.  I just don't like having people like that knowing about something like that if it's questionable.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If that were the case, every Ruger mini-14/mini-30, m1 garand, m1a, SKS, AK etc.. owner could be charged.

Exactly, and I think if they want to bring charges against you, they'll use any BS they can. Remember they have no standard procedure for testing weapons. If they want to call one of your guns an MG, they will.

My view, you can't stop them from bringing a case if they want to. They will find or make up something to drag you into court.

But they still have to convince the jury, and that's where their letters and evidence of your intent and everything else can save your ass. Relatively speaking, of course. You still go broke paying attorneys, but at least you stay out of prison.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 9:52:48 AM EDT
[#11]
The only thing the M16 carrier does is trip the sear that then releases the hammer, thereby causing the weapon to fire.

Messing with the disconnector has nothing to do with the carrier and one could cause full auto fire with a 1/2 circle carrier if the disconnector is monkeyed with.

Of course, this is only a mechanical explanation regarding the sequence of events in M16 operation and has nothing to do with ATF regs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2007 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/2/2007 5:14:56 AM EDT
[#13]
The best policy is to not give them any reason to get their intrest.  I've never had anyone check any of my bolt carriers or magazines for legality, then again I don't give them any reason to.  99% of LEO types know almost zero about firearms and the average police officer wouldn't know a carrier from a muzzle brake, much less how to tell a 15 carrier from a 16.
Link Posted: 9/2/2007 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The best policy is to not give them any reason to get their intrest.  I've never had anyone check any of my bolt carriers or magazines for legality, then again I don't give them any reason to.  99% of LEO types know almost zero about firearms and the average police officer wouldn't know a carrier from a muzzle brake, much less how to tell a 15 carrier from a 16.

Well put. No one is going to ask if you don't volunteer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2007 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Why is it the AK guys never argue about their carriers? I guess its a good thing Colt never made a semi-auto carrier for the AK.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Why is it the AK guys never argue about their carriers? I guess its a good thing Colt never made a semi-auto carrier for the AK.

Variety is the spice of life my friend!
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]
COLT 9MM RIFLES HAVE COME WITH FULL AUTO (NORMAL) CARRIERS FOR YEARS . It has never been questioned.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 7:16:21 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I understand what's been said about having the covered firing pin, but I don't remember what it looks like (it's been 14 years since I left the Army and I haven't seen a FA carrier since).

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 9/4/2007 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#19]
ATF basically just repeats the regulation when asked. Fine. The reg says if it fires more than once per pull of the trigger it's a machinegun.

The M16 carrier by itself will not make that happen.

The M16 trigger by itself will not make that happen.

The M16 selector by itself will not make that happen.

The M16 Hammer by tiself will not make that happen.

Most of the ATFs rulings, advise and recommendations on the use of M16 carriers in an AR15 are in direct violation or conflict with the reg.

If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy to not use an M16 carrier, the ATF accomplished it's goal and you can sleep better.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Appears as though this topic of discussion is also of
interest here -

www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49964

Ed
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 9/25/2007 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps.

pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL14/878560/16906758/261265461.jpg

Slickside BCs were used in the model 605 and 605a which were selective fire. Is that a commercial S/A BC at the top of the pic?
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 11:42:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll say it again. When the ATF uses words like, must not, should not, recommend against, whatever they are talking about is not case law, regulation or fact. If  the installation does not make your gun shoot more than one round per pull of the trigger, it is legal to install.

The only caveat to that is where ATF has stated they were able to make an AR15 fire full auto with 5 M16 trigger assy parts installed. While this does not change the fact an M16 BCG can not make an AR15 fire full auto, it is worth considering in any decisions to use M16 trigger parts.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top