Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2007 5:42:53 PM EDT
I have a sendra marked lower 3digit serial 0008XX XM15A1 also with a Rock Island Armory Inc. stamp on the mag well. Can't find any info...Can anyone help?

ALSO ARE THESE ALL PREBAN?
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a preban, I have one similar: #1019xx.
Don't know too much about it though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Sendra = Nesard = M&A parts.

All are preban lowers made for Gerald "Dick" Drasen. In 1986, Drasen and other officers of Sendra were charged in six counts of an indictment returned in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. The indictment charged them with unlawfully dealing in and transferring short-barrel rifles, in violation of 26 U.S.C. 5861. On January 15, 1987, the district court dismissed those counts on the ground that the statute, 26 U.S.C. 5861, does not cover unassembled and never-before-assembled short barrel rifle parts.  The court held that such parts are not included within the plain language of the statutory definition of "rifle" in 26 U.S.C. 5845(c), which includes any "weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge." The court also found that the statute did not give fair notice to petitioners that their conduct was illegal (Pet. App. 36-52, 21-35).

Drasen was the original AR-15 "gun parts" source back in the 80's. If you built your own rifle, you probably got your parts from him.

I've owned several of the Sendra lowers over the years. Other than being anodized purple, they were well made.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#3]
K-9 Bob got most of it, but you might find some more in the original Sendra Topic:
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=286955

In addition to your XM15A1 there was also a M15A1 and XM15E2 model.

Not 100% sure, but I believe the production order was XM15A1, M15A1, and XM15E2, with production starting in the 70s and running into the mid 80's.

I have noted a lot of variation in these Lowers. Color ranges from "Purple" to "Pitch Black". Fit and Finish ranges from high quality to very poor quality.

Below are the last 2 that I ran across:

M15A1 - SN 1009XX

Buttstock - A1 with Trapdoor
Upper - "C" "K" Forge Code, Tear Drop Forward Assist and Brass Deflector
Bolt Carrier - Not Marked
Slip Ring - Delta / Tappered
FSB - Not Marked
Barrel - C MP C Marked

XM15E2 - SN 0464X

Buttstock - A1 with Trapdoor
Upper - "P" "M" Forge Code, Tear Drop Forward Assist
Bolt Carrier - It is "J" Marked
Slip Ring - Flat
FSB - Believe it is "O" or "C" marked?
Barrel - C MP C Marked

These were built with a large variation of Surplus Parts & Uppers, so I am not sure that there is a standard configuration for any of them.

Some people will pay a prememium for these because they are Pre Ban, some people don't much care for them. I have seen them go for as low as $600 and as much as $1,200.

Hope that helps,
"Capt Richardson"
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Shows how f*&#@d up I am, I always thought Nesard became Model1 before they moved to Texas.          Drasen=Sendra=Nesard, huh, my name is Graham, I wonder what I could do with that?
ETA: MAHARG
Link Posted: 9/9/2007 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Here is my SENDRA, I've always been happy with it, no problems at all with it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Sendra lower # 023xx but there are no "arsenal" stamps on it. I bought it back in '88 built in a XM177e1 configuration. I've heard about the hit or miss quality of Sendra parts but this one is beautiful. The anodizing is deep purple-almost black. It's presently in a 16a1 retro configuration. I'll post some pics as soon as I get around to replacing my camera.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top