Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/8/2005 9:29:46 AM EDT
Hi all,
Had my VM Hytech magblock for about 3 months now.  Running it with a 9mm RRA upper and lower.  Right after I got it, I had the edge of the feedramp right next to the Uzi mag (using the IMI star mags w/ the seam in the back) just shear right off.  Then nothing would feed (using UMC 9mm ball ammo).  So I sent it back to VM Hytech, and they sent me back a new block which worked just fine since November --  until today, when the same thing happened!!  hn

Anyone, please help!!  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/scope12da/magblock1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/scope12da/magblock2.jpg
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that is wierd (and sucks too- sorry to hear that) and I have never heard of ANYTHING like this with the VMHyetch, but there it is in pics.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Wild  guess as to what is happening...

You are having to pound the mag in to seat it on the catch lever... the lip sets the insertion height for the mag, but the lip on the catch is not in proportion to the lip.

Or you are just slap happy when it comes to inserting mags.

Mine has given me no problems.  I suggest you at least get a ramp so you cotrol the mag height, unlike those that notch their mags either too high or too low, and inspect the lip heght on the catch, so the mags set in easily with no smacking to seat them...

Give more input after you do some inspecting.
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#3]
SBR7_11,

Some very interesting points you make...

First off, the mag slides in without any resistance, and I let it click home without undue force.  After it clicks, I always pull down on the mag to make sure it's seated properly.  I don't slam my mags home, no reason to smack them.  I do use some "authority" when I practice reloads (for IPSC carbine matches), but it's not a slam fest by any means.

BUT, when I took the block out of my lower, and inserted the mag (tried BOTH my 25 rd IMI mags), I noticed that there's a bit of play laterally and vertically.  I wonder if there's even enough play vertically that when I insert the mag, over time, it's WEAKENING the feed ramp, right where it broke off!  So after time, the piece ends up chipping off!  Now I wish I had 5 other mags to try, but I would expect that the magblock should have enough latitude to accept varied mags...

So, thanks, SBR7_11, your thoughts ended up steering me in the right direction!  I am going to call John at VM Hytech tomorrow AM and see how much play is supposed to be present w/ mags in the magblock.  John had actually told me to take a Dremel to the ramp, maybe that would be a "quick patch" that would work.  I'll talk to him first.

Much appreciated,hippie.gif
Ron
Link Posted: 2/8/2005 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, to add some pics to the words:

Here is a demonstration of maximum backward position:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/scope12da/maxposteriorplay.jpg
Here is minimum backward position:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/scope12da/minposteriorplay.jpg
And, finally, this is what the mag looks like when it just "hangs free."
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/scope12da/positionwithmaghangingfree.jpg

Link Posted: 2/9/2005 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag to see the fix (I hope) just in case this ever happens to me.
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Firing any steel cased ammo?
Link Posted: 2/9/2005 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Nope, just straight UMC 9mm brass 115gr FMJs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2005 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I just dropped my magblock and an Uzi mag into the mailbox yesterday; Valy at VM Hytech told me he'd look everything over and hopefully correct whatever is the problem.  I'm very happy with the great customer service they have over there.  We'll just see what happens... hinking.gif
Link Posted: 2/11/2005 3:31:12 PM EDT
[#9]
John used to look at this forum back in 2003 when he released the block for sale.  He actually called me,  as I had called prior to release.   He said he had been folowing 1 of the topics to get input from us as to how the block was working.

Don't know if he is still watching from the bleachers.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I spoke to John Cencioso on the phone, after I sent him my magblock with a magazine to examine.  He promptly sent me a new magblock, free of charge.  Thanks to John for his excellent customer service!heslam my mags in, but I could imagine with a couple months of use of my 9mm AR with IPSC 3gun carbine use, that repeated stress on the feed ramp would be enough to cause this to happen.he
For cryin out loud, this is supposed to be an military grade weapon, not some delicate instrument!
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Well crap, I just ordered one of those yesterday. I hope it works out for you and the bloody thing isn't weak when I get it.

Think it has anything to do with getting heated up while firing and slapping it in? The point is though that the thing should not break when putting a mag in, thats nuts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2005 4:49:05 PM EDT
[#12]
JM Horse,

Check out this thread here as this topic seems to be merging into it!!  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top