Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 9:53:13 AM EDT
I've decided that I want my next build to be a 11.5/5.5 9mm.  I just didn't have the heart to make a 5.56 in this configuration with an M4 sitting next to it and I wanted a 9mm so the idea was born.

The problem is I've only seen a few made and havent run into any currently produced uppers in this configuration.

Anyone have any ideas?  I think it would make a sweet little plinker.

- BG
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Oly has made them. I have a manual that came with my 9mm Oly that has a 10.5/5.5 on the cover.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#2]
A reverse "slip-over" type of f/h might be just the thing.  Bushaster has them in their catalog.  You get the look you want without sacrificing anything in the velocity department.

KA
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't want the "look" so much as the rifle itself... just out of principle.

I already have an old CAR stock for the project.  I just cant justify the short barrel in 5.56... 9mm?  You betcha.

- BG
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:02:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't want the "look" so much as the rifle itself... just out of principle.

I already have an old CAR stock for the project.  I just cant justify the short barrel in 5.56... 9mm?  You betcha.

- BG

I know exactly how you feel. I too always liked the look the 11.5/5.5 FH AR but would not get one in 5.56. It's impractical to me as well.

When I got a 9mm AR, I ended up getting a 16" upper, had the bbl cut down to 11.5" and had the flash hider permanently installed. I opted to go with a Colt system over the Oly so that was my only option.

BTW, a regular AR 5.5" flash hider will work with a 9mm. The inner diameter is large enough for the 9mm round.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top