Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2005 3:52:26 AM EDT
Has anyone used this setup...... particularly the .17 barrel,  with all the requests here for a .17 adapter I would have thought that there would be a lot of posts....
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Has anyone used this setup...... particularly the .17 barrel,  with all the requests here for a .17 adapter I would have thought that there would be a lot of posts....

I have been wondering about the Oly setup also and I'm surprised that there are no responses to any questions asked here at ARFCOM about the 22/17 partner setup from Oly. I went over to the Olympic arms Owners Association web site at www.oa2.org/ and there are no questions or posts about how its doing. There was a question or two as to break-in or availability but nothing else. Maybe somebody that owns one of the Oly setups will see this and reply.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't believe no one has this.................anyone
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:00:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

user426,
    Take a look at a setup I have --

This is not an Oly 22/17 setup -- I built this and its a carbine length. The barrel in the picture is for the .17 Mach2 and I also have one in 22lr. They are pretty much like the Oly setup and shoot great but I think that the Oly price may be a little too much for most people. Another problem might be that the Oly system uses the M261 ten round magazine inserts and no hi-caps are available. Less expensive uppers in 22lr are easy to get and I don't know why the .17 Mach2 has not gotten popular because it's got much better range and shoots really flat out to about 125 yards. I will say that the cost for the Mach2 ammo kinda puts it out of the blaster ammo category. I also have a 20" barreled setup but I don't have any pics of that.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

user426,
    Take a look at a setup I have --
img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/877429/M261linerandbolt1.jpg
This is not an Oly 22/17 setup -- I built this and its a carbine length. The barrel in the picture is for the .17 Mach2 and I also have one in 22lr. They are pretty much like the Oly setup and shoot great but I think that the Oly price may be a little too much for most people. Another problem might be that the Oly system uses the M261 ten round magazine inserts and no hi-caps are available. Less expensive uppers in 22lr are easy to get and I don't know why the .17 Mach2 has not gotten popular because it's got much better range and shoots really flat out to about 125 yards. I will say that the cost for the Mach2 ammo kinda puts it out of the blaster ammo category. I also have a 20" barreled setup but I don't have any pics of that.  

That's what I'm looking for.....does it feed OK????  I was thinking of cost....used ceiner adapter 100.00, barrel insert 125.00..??? dedicated used upper 200.00..mags etc.  cheaperthandirt has the whole pckage on sale for 399.00.... almost sounds like a deal.....since the ammo is more expensive than 22, the 10 round mags are a good thing... what ammo has worked best for you????
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's what I'm looking for.....does it feed OK????  I was thinking of cost....used ceiner adapter 100.00, barrel insert 125.00..??? dedicated used upper 200.00..mags etc.  cheaperthandirt has the whole pckage on sale for 399.00.... almost sounds like a deal.....since the ammo is more expensive than 22, the 10 round mags are a good thing... what ammo has worked best for you????

The 10 round inserts feed the .17 mach2 just fine as long as you use a good GI 20 round magazine to put it in. I've had nothing but trouble trying to use commercial mags. The only problem I've had with loading the .17 Mach2 in the M261 inserts is when the inserts get really dirty and I can only stuff 9 rounds in -- no big deal! Your cost estimate is realistic and if it weren't for the fact that I already had the equipment to build my own it would have cost me more than Cheaper-Than-Dirt's price to make mine. I need to be honest with you -- I really don't know how well the Oly setup works since I don't have one -- actually I don't have any Oly stuff. I can only tell you what my experiences are with my setup which is sort of an Oly look-a-like and there doesn't seem to be any Oly 22/17 owners that want to talk about it!

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:49:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I'm looking for.....does it feed OK????  I was thinking of cost....used ceiner adapter 100.00, barrel insert 125.00..??? dedicated used upper 200.00..mags etc.  cheaperthandirt has the whole package on sale for 399.00.... almost sounds like a deal.....since the ammo is more expensive than 22, the 10 round mags are a good thing... what ammo has worked best for you????

The 10 round inserts feed the .17 mach2 just fine as long as you use a good GI 20 round magazine to put it in. I've had nothing but trouble trying to use commercial mags. The only problem I've had with loading the .17 Mach2 in the M261 inserts is when the inserts get really dirty and I can only stuff 9 rounds in -- no big deal! Your cost estimate is realistic and if it weren't for the fact that I already had the equipment to build my own it would have cost me more than Cheaper-Than-Dirt's price to make mine. I need to be honest with you -- I really don't know how well the Oly setup works since I don't have one -- actually I don't have any Oly stuff. I can only tell you what my experiences are with my setup which is sort of an Oly look-a-like and there doesn't seem to be any Oly 22/17 owners that want to talk about it!

thanks for your feedback.....I can't believe that NO ONE has the Oly setup....but I also don't think that Oly would sell something that doesn't work well...after all their pistol caliber systems have a huge following.... what would you say your conversion setup cost you????

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Let say I didn't have anything and was ordering the parts from Brownells. Some parts can be used stuff like the upper receiver and an M261 conversion unit with 2 mag inserts and a junk GI barrel and all the parts that go on the barrel -- handguards, handguard cap, front sight, delta ring kit.

upper receiver, used ---$65.
M261 conversion, used $85
Junk 20" AR barrel -----$25
Handguards,
front site,
handguard cap,
delta ring kit ----------- $35 for used stuff.

From Brownells:
barrel liner drill --------  $90
.17 cal barrel liner -----  $36
Chamber reamer ------- $70
Crowning tool     -------- $40
-------------------------------------
                              Total  $446

There is no way to tell until you got it all together if it will work right unless you're a gunsmith or have done a lot of this before. The hard part is drilling out the GI barrel -- if the drill breaks you're out $90. By the way, I forgot a flash hider and washer.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Let say I didn't have anything and was ordering the parts from Brownells. Some parts can be used stuff like the upper receiver and an M261 conversion unit with 2 mag inserts and a junk GI barrel and all the parts that go on the barrel -- handguards, handguard cap, front sight, delta ring kit.

upper receiver, used ---$65.
M261 conversion, used $85
Junk 20" AR barrel -----$25
Handguards,
front site,
handguard cap,
delta ring kit ----------- $35 for used stuff.

From Brownells:
barrel liner drill --------  $90
.17 cal barrel liner -----  $36
Chamber reamer ------- $70
Crowning tool     -------- $40
-------------------------------------
                              Total  $446

There is no way to tell until you got it all together if it will work right unless you're a gunsmith or have done a lot of this before. The hard part is drilling out the GI barrel -- if the drill breaks you're out $90. By the way, I forgot a flash hider and washer.

AR-Fan,

Thanks for all your input.....so it looks like a good deal at 399.00.....I just wish I had a review from an owner....

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:02:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I've also been disappointed by the lack of information on this forum (and others) about this new rimfire system for the AR-15.

I received my Olympic Arms 2217 Partner system last week.  I purchased it on sale from CheaperThanDirt.  

The system arrived with all parts, except the hook pin is missing from the .22LR barrel insert.  Instead of trying to return it, I'll probably just add the pin myself.  No big deal.  I haven't contacted Olympic Arms yet to see if they'll just mail the pin to me.

All parts are of high quality and well finished.  The bore in the upper and the 2 barrel inserts were quite filthy.  After cleaning the upper (with bolt) and the .17HM2 insert, I tried it out at 50 yards.  The first few rounds jammed, until I discovered how to position the insert in my 20-round GI magazine.  The upper functions normally, except the forward assist is not functional.  One feature I especially like is the bolt hold-open functions normally.

More firing with no problems, except for another half-dozen rounds that chambered the bolt wouldn't go home.  A push on the side of the bolt rammed it all the way home.  Nice 3/4" group at 50 yards.  Had to crank in a lot of "right" to the sight.

Now with 20 rounds fired, the rounds are feeding and ejecting smoothly.  It looks like a great setup.  Also seems to be a good bargain for what you get.

I'll have to add the pin to the .22 barrel insert and try it before I pass final judgement.

So far it looks great.  Lots of fun and very versatile.  Hope to try it out at 100 yards soon.

Hope this report helps.  R/ Jim
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've also been disappointed by the lack of information on this forum (and others) about this new rimfire system for the AR-15.

I received my Olympic Arms 2217 Partner system last week.  I purchased it on sale from CheaperThanDirt.  

The system arrived with all parts, except the hook pin is missing from the .22LR barrel insert.  Instead of trying to return it, I'll probably just add the pin myself.  No big deal.  I haven't contacted Olympic Arms yet to see if they'll just mail the pin to me.

All parts are of high quality and well finished.  The bore in the upper and the 2 barrel inserts were quite filthy.  After cleaning the upper (with bolt) and the .17HM2 insert, I tried it out at 50 yards.  The first few rounds jammed, until I discovered how to position the insert in my 20-round GI magazine.  The upper functions normally, except the forward assist is not functional.  One feature I especially like is the bolt hold-open functions normally.

More firing with no problems, except for another half-dozen rounds that chambered the bolt wouldn't go home.  A push on the side of the bolt rammed it all the way home.  Nice 3/4" group at 50 yards.  Had to crank in a lot of "right" to the sight.

Now with 20 rounds fired, the rounds are feeding and ejecting smoothly.  It looks like a great setup.  Also seems to be a good bargain for what you get.

I'll have to add the pin to the .22 barrel insert and try it before I pass final judgement.

So far it looks great.  Lots of fun and very versatile.  Hope to try it out at 100 yards soon.

Hope this report helps.  R/ Jim

I really appreciate you feedback.....is there a trick to positioning the insert in the mag???? I just ordered the setup from cheaperthandirt....I really only want the .17 setup...so the .22 is a bonus.....

thanks
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 9:36:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Glad to hear you've ordered one of the 2217 Partner systems.  I think you'll be pleased.

Please give us your feedback when you get a chance to try it out.  I'm especially interested to know if your 2 barrel inserts come with the hook pins so they can be joined to the bolt.  My .22LR insert didn't.

The magazine insert has to be installed in a manner that the front ramp is pointing "up" slightly.  So the bullet feeds smoothly into the chamber.  If it's pointed "down", the bullet will feed down into the space in front of the chamber and jam the bolt.

I'm sure you'll figure it out easily and quickly.  After you get the position right, the bullets will chamber and eject easily.

I'm thinking about using some epoxy to permanently mount the magazine insert inside the 20-round GI mag.  Or perhaps drill a hole and use a rivet.  In any case, I find the rimfire magazine arrangement Oly uses superior to Bushmaster's and DPMS's.  The Bushmaster magazine looks cheap, and the DPMS magazine is well made but doesn't look authentic (AR-15).

The .17HM2 makes a good "crack" when firing.  But it's not much louder than .22LR.  Wish we had a barrel insert for .17HMR.  Now THAT would be a terrific 100-yard target setup!

HTH, Jim
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:15:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Glad to hear you've ordered one of the 2217 Partner systems.  I think you'll be pleased.

Please give us your feedback when you get a chance to try it out.  I'm especially interested to know if your 2 barrel inserts come with the hook pins so they can be joined to the bolt.  My .22LR insert didn't.

The magazine insert has to be installed in a manner that the front ramp is pointing "up" slightly.  So the bullet feeds smoothly into the chamber.  If it's pointed "down", the bullet will feed down into the space in front of the chamber and jam the bolt.

I'm sure you'll figure it out easily and quickly.  After you get the position right, the bullets will chamber and eject easily.

I'm thinking about using some epoxy to permanently mount the magazine insert inside the 20-round GI mag.  Or perhaps drill a hole and use a rivet.  In any case, I find the rimfire magazine arrangement Oly uses superior to Bushmaster's and DPMS's.  The Bushmaster magazine looks cheap, and the DPMS magazine is well made but doesn't look authentic (AR-15).

The .17HM2 makes a good "crack" when firing.  But it's not much louder than .22LR.  Wish we had a barrel insert for .17HMR.  Now THAT would be a terrific 100-yard target setup!

HTH, Jim

The .17HMR would be sweet.....maybe next year....If I get mine by the weekend ...I'll be at the range....if it warms up to at least 30 degrees....any particular ammo work best for you...???

craig
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Only 2 brands of .17HM2 ammo that I'm aware of - Hornady and CCI.

My shooting so far has been with CCI.

GL with the new toy.  Give us a complete report of your shooting session.

BTW, I called Olympic Arms and explained that I bought the 2217 Partner system last week and that the .22LR barrel insert was shipped without the hook pin.  They were very nice and are mailing the pin to me at no charge.  Good customer service.

R/ Jim
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:27:31 AM EDT
[#14]
How about both of you give us a test report on the 22/17 uppers -- with some pics if you can? Nobody so far has wanted to talk about the setup and it is the only commercial .17 Mach2 AR upper available!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How about both of you give us a test report on the 22/17 uppers -- with some pics if you can? Nobody so far has wanted to talk about the setup and it is the only commercial .17 Mach2 AR upper available!

Test report will follow as soon as my new toy arrives..... and the weather cooperates...
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's my AR-17HM2.  Picked up a RRA lower today, had the coyote tan pieces.

The lower has the 2-stage National Match trigger.  The sight is a cheap ($65) copy of the Emtech.

Will take it out for a good shoot - hopefully tommorow - and report the results.

R/ Jim

http://hometown.aol.com/we5f/photos.html

If the picture doesn't come up, follow the link:

http://hometown.aol.com/we5f/photos.html
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks good...I've always liked the coyote tan furniture....still waiting for mine to show up, maybe tomorrow.....  

I'll be waiting for your range report............
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:27:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Here's my AR-17HM2.  Picked up a RRA lower today, had the coyote tan pieces.

The lower has the 2-stage National Match trigger.  The sight is a cheap ($65) copy of the Emtech.

Will take it out for a good shoot - hopefully tommorow - and report the results.

R/ Jim

I hope this helps some -- give us a report on how it shoots and by the way, that looks nice!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:27:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the nice comments!  I do think it turned out well.

Thanks also for copying my photo to your posting.  Hopefully I'll figure out how to do it in the near future.  h.gif

Here in central Texas, we have a fair-sized gun show the third weekend of every month.  Very handy!  But very hazardous to the budget!

Nice day here- the temperature at 11:30 AM is 53 degrees.

I'll give the AR-15HM2 a good shoot this afternoon and post the results tonight.

R/ Jim

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Had my 2217 partner since Sept.  No problems with either caliber.  What I hate is the 10 rnd mag.  I wish I could come up with higher capacity mag than this.  Any help out there?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:45:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, it was a nice day for a shoot with no wind, but I didn't have much time.  By the time I was free, there was only a half-hour of daylight left.  So my shooting was in less than ideal conditions.

Ran another 20 rounds through the .17HM2 barrel sleeve.   This time it was Hornady ammo.  I'm pleased to report absolutely no FTFeed/FIRE, FTE, or other hiccups.

Only shot 2 groups, rested at 25 yards.  Best was 5/8", using iron sights in fading light.  To see the target, follow this link:

http://hometown.aol.com/we5f/Photos.html

My impression is that the Oly upper with .17HM2 sleeve shoots much better than my modest ability.  And the handling and reliability is flawless, so far.

I still haven't tried the .22LR sleeve.  I'm waiting on the hook pin to arrive in the mail from Oly.

More to follow.

R/ Jim
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Bastropjim,

Where in Texas are you........??????

craig
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:29:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Had my 2217 partner since Sept.  No problems with either caliber.  What I hate is the 10 rnd mag.  I wish I could come up with higher capacity mag than this.  Any help out there?

Well, there is a way to get hi-caps for the M261 unit that Oly uses for their 2217 partner setup but you may not like it! You will have to make them or have them made -- see below;

You can modify a Ciener 30 round mag (center) or get a mag insert from E-guns.com like the one on the right and come up with the mag on the left. The Ciener is almost too expensive to screw with and the mag inserts that I got from e-guns.com look like the ciener magazine part but are not as good in quality but they work.

The other mag I made is a 20 rounder (colt mag in pic for size comparison) and it was just a quick slapped together thing that I made to see if I could use some mags that SARCO sells that were designed for an AK-47 22lr trainer rifle. As you can tell I was kinda ticked that nobody made hi-caps for the M261 unit also!

For a junky mag it doesn't look bad in my AR!

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Craig (User 426):

Did you receive your 22-17 Partner setup?

Oly did send the missing hook pin for my .22 barrel sleeve, so all is right again.  Will report when I get a chance to fire it.

How about some feedback?  We're all breathlessly waiting.  Jim
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:02:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Craig (User 426):

Did you receive your 22-17 Partner setup?

Oly did send the missing hook pin for my .22 barrel sleeve, so all is right again.  Will report when I get a chance to fire it.

How about some feedback?  We're all breathlessly waiting.  

R/
Jim

It's on the fedex truck...(for the 2nd day)....I hope to have it today so I can give it a run through this Saturday.....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Still no FEDEX....3 days on the truck..... maybe tomorrow!!!!!!!

It finally showed up.......on Christmas Eve...... It's all intact but pretty dirty..... the magazine insert has some surfice rust.....no problem.....but not really what you would expect from Olympic...... I'll get out to the range after the holidays.......
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:31:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Happy Holidays to all......
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:57:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks, Craig.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Texas to you also (and everybody else reading this thread).

Sorry your Oly 2217 Partner system apparently didn't arrive before Christmas.  Perhaps it will be first off the truck on Monday.

I'll be shooting mine tomorrow, and the .22 barrel sleeve for the first time.

Be sure and give us a report when you do get it.  Inquiring minds want to know!

R/ Jim
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Question to AR-fan, How exactly did you modify the hi-cap mags to fit the M261 unit?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:04:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Question to AR-fan, How exactly did you modify the hi-cap mags to fit the M261 unit?

I would like to send the info to you but you don't accept IM's or e-mails and I don't want to tie up user426's topic with my junk.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would like to send the info to you but you don't accept IM's or e-mails and I don't want to tie up user426's topic with my junk.

AR-fan,

thats fine ....I'd like to know as well.....I'll be testing my setup tonight and I'll give a complete report.....

craig
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
thats fine ....I'd like to know as well.....I'll be testing my setup tonight and I'll give a complete report.....

craig

Good to see you're finally getting to shoot your new upper!

I'll try to post the info so it's short and simple but I need to do a couple of pics first.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Thanks....I'll post some pics (although it looks like a plain Jane AR) later, and give a report as well.....

craig
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

craig

Craig,
   I started out using the Ciener 30 round mag because it had all the parts -- all I needed to do was move the whole magazine part forward 0.5" to duplicate the position of the M261 magazine by cutting the slot for the mag on the top and bottom with a dremel.

Next I add a ramp to the front since the M261 has one built into the metal frame that holds the magazine. Mine has a little more hight to it to match up better with the slight ramp built into the lower part of the chamber.

I just cut a small block of metal and shape the backside so it fits the front of the magazine -- it doesn't have to be perfect. You will need to cut the ridge on the front of the magazine back some so that block of metal can be fit easily. Then I trim the sides down to allow it to fit past the M261 parts that are in the upper receiver. Then, by trial and error, I cut the ramp so it lines up with the chamber and with the ammo.

This is what the magazine looks like in the M261 unit -- notice the ramp position and how it clears the guide rail.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks AR-fan, I appreciate the info. It gives me some good ideas.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:17:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Well guys.....

My new toy will have to wait until tomorrow for it's test......my local indoor range was closed this evening....

AR-fan
Great tutorial on the mag mods......I'll try to find some cheap used Ceiner mags....although that's probably not going to happen..... at 60 bucks a pop I'd hate to destroy one......
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Craig, AR-fan, and readers of this thread.  To followup on my earlier post on testing my new Olympic Arms 2217 Parner system ...

It was an absolutely spectacular "winter day" here in central Texas - 80 degrees and just a little breeze from the south.  This afternoon I installed the .22 barrel insert in my CAR-15 (Rock River Arms lower & Oly 2217 upper) and took it out back to my home shooting range.

I set up at 25 yards.  Using a Harris benchrest bipod, I was able to shoot 5-shot groups with 3 different brands of .22LR.  The 3 targets are shown in this link:

http://hometown.aol.com/we5f/Photos.html

Obviously, the CCI Mini-Mag ammo is the most compatible with my barrel sleeve.  It shoots groups less than 1/2 the size of the other two types of ammo.  The Mini-Mags also functioned the best, with no hiccups.  There were about hiccups about 1/3 of the time with the other two brands.

I was a bit surprised that the Wolf ammo wasn't the best performer, as it is in my other .22LR uppers I used on my AR-15.  The Wolf and Eley Practice ammo are lower velocity, and frequently failed to completely cycle the bolt.  I had a number of FTFire on the first round, as the firing pin would strike the case, but just not quite hard enough to fire the cartridge with Wolf and Eley ammo.

The Oly Partner system uses the standard AR-15 buffer spring.  I suspect that the higher pressure, and hence recoil, developed by the .17HM2 is more compatible with the AR-15 buffer spring.  The higher velocity .22 Mini-Mags also give a bit more kick to overcome that buffer spring.  So it's my opinion that standard velocity and subsonic velocity .22 ammo isn't a good match for the Oly Partner system.  And I believe the action will smooth out as the bolt friction decreases as the parts wear in with use.

I also discovered a few more things:

(1)  I'll never be a competitive target shooter.
(2)  My vision has really "gone south" in the last 10 years.  I used to shoot dimes at 50 yards, but no more!
(3)  The "tactical" open dot sights aren't for me, at least not on a rifle.  I'll be changing to a good scope.  Got any suggestions for a compact, bright scope of about 4X magnification?

To sum up, I'm quite pleased with the Olympic Arms 2217 Partner System.  I've had a chance to try out both barrel sleeves and find them to both outshoot me.  Now if only Oly will make available a sleeve and bolt setup for .17HMR, the system will be complete and a perfect companion for AR-15 rimfire shooting.

Craig, I'm looking forward to your (and other users') reports.

R/ Jim
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Bastropjim,
    I have the same problem with my eyes and changed from the red dot type sight to a Colt look-a-like scope and can shoot under an inch at 50 yards although the red dot sight works better for my close range rat hunting.

This is my carbine with the slide in barrel system.

user426,
    There is a much less expensive way to make the magazines -- the picture of the magazines on page one shows the cheaper version on the left side and the magazine itself on the far right. You just make a sheet metal shell and install the magazine the same as the Ciener and add the ramp in front. I got the magazine from numrich arms for $27. look here; www.e-gunparts.com/featureproduct.asp?chrProductSKU=930680&Super=Y&MC=YJ

Maybe you Oly 22/17 owners can maybe talk Oly into making the magazines!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#39]
AR-fan:

Thanks for sharing.  Shooting AR-15 rimfire is very practical and sure a lot of fun!

That's a great-looking setup.  Hope you don't mind a few questions.

Are those aluminum handguards?  Or is the barrel free-floated?  What is the make/model of the float tube/handguards?

How do you like your Stag lower?  I understand they make lowers for Colt.

Just one more question - how do you include/upload your photos directly in your posts?

I don't care anyting about high-capacity magazines.  However, I do like the "pure AR-15" look - I want my rifle to look like a .223.

I do a lot of target shooting and use a short (benchrest model) Harris bipod.  So the longer magazine wouldn't work.  But I would like to permanently fix the .17HM2/.22LR insert inside a GI 20-round magazine.  So I'll need several more inserts to experiment with.  I called Oly, and was told the inserts will be available for sale soon.  Hopefully they won't be $40 apiece, like the DPMS mags.

Looking forward to more input and photos on this thread.

R/ Jim
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Bastropjim,

Since I only purchased the set up to use the .17 barrel, I too don't want high cap mags...only because I need to monitor my shooting so I don't blow away to much ammo since the .17HM2 ammo is no where as cheap as .22 LR............I have a few 30 round mags that I use with my Khuel set up...but using .22LR is like shooting for free......
You can sometimes find the mag inserts on Gunbroker or believe it or not Ebay...I picked up 4 for 25 bucks a short while ago.....Try the EE here ...you never know what you'll find......
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#41]
user426,
    Funny you should mention not really being into hi-caps -- I prefer the smaller magazines at the range also. I just get a wild hair and want to blast something so I load up a hi-cap mag and go at it.

The handguards in the picture are First Samco carbine handguards and are no longer on the carbine. Since my barrel is 0.75" diameter all the way back to the barrel nut area, I can change the position of the clamp-on front sight base and have since moved it to the midlength position with RRA midlength handguards. The First samco handguards are plastic and not free floated.

I like the stag lower although I only use it for rimfire stuff. I got it with one of those hammers that has the same face profile as an M16 hammer so it could be used with my 9mm upper. I'm not sure about Stagg making lowers for Colt but if you look into one these and then a RRA lower they look the same -- they both have that little deck in back.

To put a photo in your post you need to save the picture first in an on-line photo server.
I use villagephotos.com/login.asp
when pictures are saved there you just copy the complete URL -- there is a click-on just above the picture and to the left that says "Copy URL" --you left click on the spot.
Go to your open post reply and start by typing a [ then img then the other ] -- paste the copied URL  just after that box. At the end of the URL (which should say .jpg) type a [ then / then img then]
Your picture should show up in your post. To keep the pictures a good size it would be best to have a photo shop program on your PC so you can make the pictures no larger than say 5X7 and maybe a resolution of around 72 pixels per inch.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the info, AR-fan.

I've signed up for a free account at Village Photos.  Here's my attempt to post a photo of my
shooting session yesterday:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1125697/Oly2217-12-26-05.jpg

YES!  It seems to work well.  Those are all dimes, BTW.

Your AR-17HM2 blaster looks good.  Where did you get the aluminum free-float tube?  Was it difficult to install?

Do you still have any use for the First Samco carbine handguards?  I'd be interested in them for one of my .22 rifles.  R/ Jim
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:50:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Bastropjim,
    You had me going for a minute -- I put that picture of the rifle with the free float tube in and then pulled it. The free float is a snap to install if you have a barrel nut wrench with the pins. The free float is from DPMS and priced around $60. It's a little heavy but fine for what I use it for.

I really don't want to sell the samco at this time since I have another project coming up that I might be able to use it on.

I saw your targets over on your AOL site along with your rifle and thats not bad shooting.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#44]
"I do a lot of target shooting and use a short (benchrest model) Harris bipod. So the longer magazine wouldn't work. But I would like to permanently fix the .17HM2/.22LR insert inside a GI 20-round magazine. So I'll need several more inserts to experiment with. I called Oly, and was told the inserts will be available for sale soon. Hopefully they won't be $40 apiece, like the DPMS mags."

Bastropjim,

I saw this on the EE......    www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=24&t=310500

I'm off to the range (indoor..75 feet) to test the system out....I'll report back later tonight
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the tip, Craig.

I know Gerald Swank (GDS Enterprises).  He's in Austin and has a large display of wares at every local gun show (Austin, San Antonio).

I'll call him in the morning.  Although I suspect the magazine inserts have been sold, it's worth a try.

Looking forward to your report on your Oly setup!

AR-fan:  OK on the First Samco handguards.  I have one of the DPMS .22LR uppers with the carbine-length free-float tubes.  I drilled the tube dead-center on the bottom for a stud to mount my Harris bipod.  It was kind of a "touchy" process to get the hole just right (so the bipod wasn't tilted).

R/ Jim
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#46]
OK... after many months of searching the Internet, reading, comparing the CZ 22LR, the DPMS M4 22LR, and the Oly 22-17 system.. I finally decided to go with the Oly 22-17. Of course, the price of $399 in the CTD catalog helped with the Fiscal decisions...

Thanks to all in this thread who've put their experiences with the 22-17 online so those of us who are trying to juggle the decision as to what to get can make the decison a little easier. And thanks too, to BastropJim for the pictures of the accuracy of the 22-17 when shooting 22LR. That was what pretty much made me decide to order the Oly.

Now, until the FEDEX people deliver my order, every time I see a FEDEX truck, I'm going to be thinking... "Hmmm... I wonder if my CTD order is in that truck..."
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Hi Guys,

Let me start by saying that the system arrived in a state of grease and some surface rust (on the mag adapter).....after a mild cleaning, I proceeded to insert the mag-insert into a mag and noticed right away that it could be problematic.....there was no way to lock the insert into the mag....the front of the insert could be pushed into the mag so the feed path would never be consistent.....then I took a look at the inserts that I have had laying around for awhile and noticed that they had a tab in the front that locked against the mag and prevented the insert from moving.....was the insert that they packed damaged or broken....???? I need to call Olympic.....

OK enough of that.....The great part is that the rifle functioned flawlessly....it never failed to feed or eject.... I went thru 250 rounds in a real short time and it was a blast to shoot......BTW....I mounted the upper on a Bushmaster lower that was not being used at the moment.....Let me also add that I only tested the .17HM2 setup.....I really only bought it for that caliber ....

My indoor range is a short 25 yards so this test was really for function......all of my targets were shot off hand and I was very pleased with it's accuracy.....there is no doubt that the weapon can out shoot the shooter.....

My only real gripe is that the bolt will not hold open after the last round (I thought I read somewhere that it would).....but I can live with that......
All in all I would highly recommend this set up for anyone who wants to shoot rimfire in .22lr or .17HM2
At Cheaperthandirts sale price of 399.00 its probably cheaper to buy it then to build it.....

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Craig (User246):
thanks for the detailed report.  Glad to hear your experiences are similar to mine.  Nice shooting!

I noticed the same thing about the magazine inserts.  The position of the insert makes all the difference in reliable feeding.  Your photos show the "correct" position - something I learned by trial and error.

There should be some way to fix the position so the insert won't tilt or shift.  I'm wondering if changing the spring in the 20-round G.I. magazine to a spring from a 30-round magazine would help keep it from tilting?  If you get an answer back from Oly about the tab, please share it.

SSF:
Glad to hear you've decided to join the group.  I'm sure you'll be pleased with the system.  Please share your impressions with us and post some photos when you get a chance to test it out.

It was 75 degrees again yesterday.  The predicted high for Jan. 1, 2006 is 82.  May need to turn the A/C back on.   Happy
R/ Jim
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#49]
I just spoke with Andy at Olympic Arms and he said that the new inserts do not have the tab that I mentioned and that the tension of the mag spring should hold it in place.....not the answer I hoped for but....Oh well......also the bolt will not hold open on the last round......he did say that you could pop rivet the inserts in place..... I might try that or a small tack weld.....

And to all a HAPPY NEW YEAR..............
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#50]
Now, until the FEDEX people deliver my order, every time I see a FEDEX truck, I'm going to be thinking... "Hmmm... I wonder if my CTD order is in that truck..  
SSFeldjager,
I went through that waiting game as well.....but in my opinion it was worth the wait.....I'll get to try out the 17HM2 at my outdoor range on Saturday....so I'll see how it does at 100 yards.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top