Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/22/2005 9:43:08 AM EDT
I think if we collectively work on designing some hi-cap mags, maybe we can get enough interest to actually put'em into production.
Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I think if we collectively work on designing some hi-cap mags, maybe we can get enough interest to actually put'em into production.
Any thoughts?

I don't have a V22 but I seem to remember somebody posting on ARFCOM that the Ciener 30 round mag can be modified to work in the V22 and I believe even explained what needed to be done. Maybe somebody that knows more about it will show up here with the mod specs. I know the Cieners are expensive but they are made completely of steel and I don't think a 22lr KABOOM will break it.

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a couple of pics of the CV22 mag next to a Marlin 7-round standard.  The feed lips seem to be a little longer on the CV22.

Anyone know of a magazine that has longer feed lips?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:17:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Pictures don't seem to load.
Try looking at my online album at www.pbuzz.com/showalbum.php?uuid=2226&aid=2366
Search for user "Sawman" if the link doesn't work.

I am in the process of contacting a couple of manufacturers to see what can be done. I'm sure if there is enough interest, one of them may be talked into a small (1-2k) production run.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I need mags, whats the latest
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not ask Mongo63a?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any thoughts?

I don't have a V22 but I seem to remember somebody posting on ARFCOM that the Ciener 30 round mag can be modified to work in the V22 and I believe even explained what needed to be done. Maybe somebody that knows more about it will show up here with the mod specs. I know the Cieners are expensive but they are made completely of steel and I don't think a 22lr KABOOM will break it.

Best of luck!

Yep I saw that post too.

All you need to do is lengthen the two slots on the CZ bolt because the Ciener mag sits a little further back in the mag well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Here are a few pics of my 17HMR magazine based on the CZ upper:

I have a custom barrel being manufactured for the project.  Hopefully I will be able to test the system in Feb.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:21:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Any thoughts?

Best of luck!

The V-22 and DPMS-22 both use a modified Ciener system...

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:29:13 AM EDT
[#9]
The V-22 is a lot different than the Ciener.
If CZ modified the Ciener to create the V-22, they sure did a tremendous amount of modifications.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#10]
CZ did not modify the Ceiner.  

I beleive that the CZ upper was designed by a board member on this board and CZ failed to pay him for his work.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:40:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
CZ did not modify the Ceiner.  

I beleive that the CZ upper was designed by a board member on this board and CZ failed to pay him for his work.

Really!!!  I would sure love to know who!!!  It would make building a custom barrel much easier, if reverse engineering wasn't needed.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#12]
tagged

I like the v-22 but more ammo in the mag would be a lot better.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 4:30:01 AM EDT
[#13]
edwin247,
    That's a darn nice looking magazine you have there -- did you make it yourself? Is it aluminum? I just built mine from existing magazines because they are available and I don't have any machine tools.

If you did make it, you could also make one in the 22lr/.17 Mach2 size -- there is a good market for them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:15:57 AM EDT
[#14]
AR-Fan,

Yep, I did design and mill the mag out of 6061 Aluminum bar.  It took way too long for me to make them for others as I don't have a CNC mill.

I could send them out for CNC machining in MAG or LR but I doubt people will pay!!!  People already bitch about tacticalinc.com 10/22 mags being way to much at a mere $55.  I doubt I could make them for less than $75 each.

Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
AR-Fan,

Yep, I did design and mill the mag out of 6061 Aluminum bar.  It took way too long for me to make them for others as I don't have a CNC mill.

I could send them out for CNC machining in MAG or LR but I doubt people will pay!!!  People already bitch about tacticalinc.com 10/22 mags being way to much at a mere $55.  I doubt I could make them for less than $75 each.

I wish I had a mill -- making the mags by stringing them together is a pain but it works. What do you figure the capacity is on your magazine. Just a little side note -- the 22 magnum is also fun and doesn't have any of the pressure problems the 17 HMR has.  Use the same mag and bolt and get a second barrel made!

Do you have a topic posted someplace about your .17 HMR project -- I hate taking up any more space here in metoo's topic with other subjects.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The V-22 and DPMS-22 both use a modified Ciener system...

The DPMS uses a modified Colt kit, not a Ciener.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got off the phone with a gentleman at ProMag Industries. He advises that they are doing a run of 25-round plastic mags for the 22LR caliber AR15's. When asked which receiver they were made for, the reply was "they will work with all AR's...Colt , Armalite , Bushmaster , ...they're all the same"   I specifically asked about the CZ and was givin the same answer.
I asked about price and availability and was informed that a final price had not been determined and they would be available after the "Shot Show" directly from ProMag or through their dealers.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:03:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Apparently these guys are making 25 round mags for the CZ V22

http://www.southern-gun.co.uk/

ANyone able to reach them? Maybe we could set up a group buy!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, putted this in V22 thread, i believe this is the right place...

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have been looking into modefying a v22 to work with ciener mags ,maybe this link will help some of you: http://www.toiminta-ampujat.net/.  Scroll down to the english section.

Don't see much info in english. Is there another source of info?
Thanks in advance hr

Here are the pics from that great Finnish forum (thanks JumiKuula, i borrowed one of your pics!)his
Here is a standard bolt:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/337802.jpg

Ciener magazine sits a little bit more back, so two slots under the bolt must be cut little more back also. The charging handle pin must also be modified to fit in after this operation(just a little bit filing).

Here's the modified bolt:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/363859.jpg

Here is a pic of my V22 with V-Match 20" ff tube.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/336953.jpg
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I know this is a magazine thread but because everyone is discussing CV 22's, I thought this would be the best place to ask....does anyone know if the CV will fit a large pin Colt lower if you use the offset pins, since I figure it probably has small pin holes?

THX
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#21]
It works just like a small hole upper, so conversion pins should work fine.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:04:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the reply.  Think I'll have to pick one up via Cheaper than Dirt...$249.97 is the best price I saw.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:18:03 AM EDT
[#23]
I would recommend cdnninvestments.com

cdnninvestments.com/arcocz22vupn.html

As they have been reworked by a gunsmith for ADCO before selling to CDNN.  They found that some of the 22lr bores were not reamed properly and some ammo would feed properly but others would not.

Just my 2cents.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:56:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Edwin247,

Thanks for the input, I'll give them a call in the morning.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:40:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, Cheaper Than Dirt was $249.97+29.97 per extra mag+ $72.00 2d Day Air Shipping.  (Note, this am, Cheaper Than Dirt's Mags had dropped to 19.99).  CDNN had the same for 259.99+19.99 for extra mags, + $28 2d Day Air...$382 versus $330.  So I ordered up the CDNN version, 2 additional mags and they also had the large pin/small pin conversion pins so I am set...do I need to start a new thread to ask if a .22 barrel should be broken in like a high power precision barrel, clean after every round for 10+ rounds, then after every 3-5 rd shot group for another 25-50 rounds, or just blast away?

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I guess it can't hurt, but I doubt it will make much difference....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:57:19 PM EDT
[#28]
OK, fairly new to the forum business, does Tag mean "agree with" the previous message?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:26:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I just snapped a pic, but I can't find my cable.  I will post some pics tonight.

The prototype (pictured) will hold 25 rounds.  It is a straight offset stack (kind of hard to explain) so I didn't need to machine a curved magazine (Manual Mill).

I am currently working on a double stack version that will give me 30+ rounds with a shorter length.  I have been designing it and I bought some aluminum but I haven't had a chance to finish it.  I was planing on using a Remington magazine and attaching it to my machined parts to make a 8 round into a 30 round.  The hardest part for my limited machining abilities is the feedneck area, escpecially on a double stack as they are angled.  The Remington mag will give me the feedneck and the follower so I don't have to worry about those parts.  More to follow!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:23:13 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I just snapped a pic, but I can't find my cable.  I will post some pics tonight.

The prototype (pictured) will hold 25 rounds.  It is a straight offset stack (kind of hard to explain) so I didn't need to machine a curved magazine (Manual Mill).

I am currently working on a double stack version that will give me 30+ rounds with a shorter length.  I have been designing it and I bought some aluminum but I haven't had a chance to finish it.  I was planing on using a Remington magazine and attaching it to my machined parts to make a 8 round into a 30 round.  The hardest part for my limited machining abilities is the feedneck area, escpecially on a double stack as they are angled.  The Remington mag will give me the feedneck and the follower so I don't have to worry about those parts.  More to follow!!!

Ed, I really wish you wouldn't say such things. You've got me feeling more impatient than a kid on Christmas Eve !  
Would this be possible for 22LR ? I don't recall seeing a double stack 22LR before. My Marlin is a straight offset, and I was planning to try something that would be a combination of straight offset at the top, transitioning to a curved bottom.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:57:14 AM EDT
[#33]
metoo,
They already make good 22lr mag for the CZ upper
www.southern-gun.co.uk/
So I don't think I want to make any in 22lr.

vito113,
Here you go:
I just used some Molycoat last night to get the mag looking nice.  The follower does slide a lot better with molycoat.  I don't use a conventional compression spring.  I use two constant force springs in a long groove.  This way I have equal and constant force applied to the follower.

My custom 17HMR barrel should be finished this coming week.  I have a SS 17HMR M4 profile barrel being manufactured and I will molycoat it green when it comes in.  My 17HMR AR will have a green barrel, upper, and lower and the rest will be black.  I have a YHM Specter Length FF and M4 Stock.  Is should be sweet, if it doesn't blow up!!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:16:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Making hi-cap mags for your setup from existing mags can be done. I started with Marlin 22 magnum mags and built a 20 round mag for my 17HMR/22 magnum setup.

The mag on the far left was the first and holds only 7 rounds. The next two mags were a test case and they hold 15 rounds each and the mag on the right is a 20 round mag. They all work with either 17HMR or 22 magnum ammo. The carbine is set up with slide-in barrels -- the 22 magnum barrel can be seen just above the magazines. That is the only part besides the ammo that needs to be changed to shoot either 22 magnum or the 17HMR. The mags look a little rough but the AR mag bodies were first meant to be magwell conversion blocks and the actual magazine just slid in and locked in place. I ran out of patience and wanted to go shoot so I just tack welded the mags into place. These mags are all reproducible and at one time I had a 30 round mag but it was as long as a sten mag and I didn't like th looks so I cut it back and made the 20 round mag shown above.

I needed hi-cap mags for my 22lr/17mach2 setup so I modified a 30 round Ciener mag (in the middle) to work -- that is expensive. I bought some hi-cap mags from SARCO and made my own hi-cap on the left -- the SARCO mag is on the right. I don't have any milling tools so everything is done by hand so you can see it is possible to make your on hi-caps.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#35]
what does sarco list that mag as.  I've been looking for some of those.

TIA
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:40:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#37]
I have a M261 kit.  
I might give it a whirl....
I love the way the M261 mags fit in standard AR mags....it adds to the look.

AR-Fan based his design off the M261 (if I remember correctly), so that might be an easy option.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a M261 kit.  
I might give it a whirl....
I love the way the M261 mags fit in standard AR mags....it adds to the look.

AR-Fan based his design off the M261 (if I remember correctly), so that might be an easy option.

It adds to the look, but it can be a PITA to get them to stay in alignment!... Also, 10 rounds has a very high suck factor...

You get some 25 round .22lr M261 mags to work and I'm in for them, assuming they don't cost mega bucks!

ANdy

I did the Ciener first but the problem is that new ones cost a heck of a lot more than the M261 units. That carbine is actually my test rifle and that's the reason for the slide-in barrels. I also have an M261 setup AND a Ciener setup for that carbine in 22lr and 17 Mach2. I prefer the M261 unit. I have two dedicated rifle uppers -- one in 22 magnum and it shoots fantastic and the other in 17 HMR that shoots even better. That is the reason for the 15 round mags -- that are just a hair longer than a 20 round GI mag so they work great at the range and great in the field. I did the 22 magnum about 3 years before the 17 HMR came out and it's kinda my favorite.

Andy -- I am really sorry about saying the mags came from SARCO -- they came from Numrich Arms. I was posting some info on AK 22lr trainer magazines and I guess the info stuck in my mind. They are aftermarket magazines for Mossberg. Here is the link to it; www.e-gunparts.com/featureproduct.asp?chrProductSKU=930680&Super=Y&MC=YJ
They are listed as 15 round mags but thats because the manufacturer stuffed two springs inside and made almost impossible to load more than 15 rounds -- leave the spring in the tube section and remove the other and you have a 25 to 30 round mag. They look just like the Ciener 30 round mags but the internals are not as good in quality and the price has gone up since I bought some.
Just make a sheet metal box section similar to a Ciener and install the magazine the same distance back that the insert mag is and and a little ramp in front to assist feeding.

Takes a little work at first but once you have it you can duplicate it all you want.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Why don't you just by the 25 rounders from Souther Gun Club in the UK.  They are machined aluminum and are pretty local to you????
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Oh, OK.  

I guess I just got confused, since the M261 is kind of on a Tangent from this V22 thread.

No harm no foul.

Good shooting!!!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Oh, OK.  

I guess I just got confused, since the M261 is kind of on a Tangent from this V22 thread.

No harm no foul.

Good shooting!!!

Ed,
You're right about the tangent but I was trying to show that a variety of hi-cap mags can be made for just about anything and the magazine from Numrich Arms makes a good starting point.

Andy,
    I ordered the upper one (A) and if you can get it, there is a little bracket on the back that you may have to remove.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I am in the process of contacting a couple of manufacturers to see what can be done. I'm sure if there is enough interest, one of them may be talked into a small (1-2k) production run.

metoo,
    Did you have any luck trying to find somebody that would make the hi-cap mags for the V-22? Do you know if anybody had any luck contacting the Southern Gun company over in England about shipping to the States or maybe a group buy?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Will DPMS mags work with the V22?  They look identical in the pics and DPMS will be releasing a 25 rnd mag soon.  I'll look for a link.

ETA: Link DPMS mags
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Will DPMS mags work with the V22?  They look identical in the pics and DPMS will be releasing a 25 rnd mag soon.  I'll look for a link.

ETA: Link DPMS mags

Too bad we can't get a person with a DPMS upper and a person with the V-22 upper together to verify if the mags are similar -- it does look like the DPMS has a little extra tab on the left mag ear to act as an ejector but if the mag fits it wouldn't take much to remove that tab. The price on the 25 round mag is not bad!

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:53:43 AM EDT
[#49]
I know someone who has a DPMS upper and I'm planning on ordering a V22 today or tomorrow.  I can check it out when I get it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top